Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kanthulhu posted:

Wow day 12 is loving insane. It starts a little slow but the final matches are amazing.

Everyone go watch it asap

Day 12 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2BdIyPvbzg

e: Jesus, what a finish indeed.

And now, very likely that nothing will be certain until day 15.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
This basho is the most interesting one I've ever watched so far

(this is the third basho I'm watching)

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Kanthulhu posted:

This basho is the most interesting one I've ever watched so far

(this is the third basho I'm watching)

This is my second, and my favorite so far. Sumo is just cool as hell, there's nothing else quite like it.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Welcome newcomers!

Although, at 4-5 years myself, I'm not sure I can consider myself a veteran yet. Not when we have people who have been following since the 90s.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What a day! Good work Goeido keeping it interesting.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Really stupid question, but if those are the sumo mascot shirts in the front row, anyone know where to buy them? The Hiyonoyama and Akawashi shirts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJsDeNn-MWc - You can see the characters here. (Song WILL get stuck in your head)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
https://ckec.jp/pc/00000003/goods2/20130500691/

If you meant outside of Japan, good luck.

Search せきとりくん顔tシャツ

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 21, 2015

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Uncle Jam posted:

https://ckec.jp/pc/00000003/goods2/20130500691/

If you meant outside of Japan, good luck.

Search せきとりくん顔tシャツ

Nah I have people in Japan, and I will be back there in the coming month or two.

Score!! Thanks for this!!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Funkysauce posted:

Really stupid question, but if those are the sumo mascot shirts in the front row, anyone know where to buy them? The Hiyonoyama and Akawashi shirts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJsDeNn-MWc - You can see the characters here. (Song WILL get stuck in your head)

I imagine that they asked Chiyonofuji to be in this and he was like "GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY HEYA"

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

I imagine that they asked Chiyonofuji to be in this and he was like "GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY HEYA"

That's fantastic. Does anyone have a list of the rikishi from that video?

Edit: Day 13 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWHRB1OORwk

Well that killed about 80% of the suspense. Kisenosato taking down Hakuho is about the only way we get a photo finish at this point.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 22, 2015

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Day 14 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU5g9VtO6Vw

Well well well....

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Goddamn. So much going on in the top ranks right now.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Wow, this basho is nuts.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
In 3 years Hakuho's never done worse than 12-3. He's loving insane.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
That fuckin' henka :eyepop:

tomorrow is going to be crazy

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kyokutenho continuing to pick up kachikoshis at his age. :black101:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

anakha posted:

Kyokutenho continuing to pick up kachikoshis at his age. :black101:

He had already been in Sumo for a year when Ichinojo was born :c00l:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

He had already been in Sumo for a year when Ichinojo was born :c00l:

Too bad he can't say "I was doing sumo while you were still in diapers", being that he's still wears giant diapers, himself.

To elaborate on the possibilities - if Hakuho and Terunofuji both win, the playoff is just between them. If one wins, he takes the whole thing, if both lose, we have a playoff of, potentially:
Hakuho
Terunofuji (losing to Aoiyama)
Harumafuji (who will have beaten Hakuho)
Kisenosato (if he beats Giku)
Ikioi (if he beats the neckless one)
Kaisei (if he beats Ichinojo)
Takayasu (if he beats Myogiryu)
Yoshikaze - lol (if he beats Gagamaru)

lmao Yoshikaze has a chance at the yusho tomorrow. However, I seriously doubt Aoiyama stands a chance against Terunofuji, so I think at best we see a Hakuho/Terunofuji rematch. Jesus, has there ever been an 8-way playoff?

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I'm going to be routing for Harumafuji and Moobs to get the job done tomorrow. I would love to see some crazy play-off scenario.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Fryhtaning posted:

lmao Yoshikaze has a chance at the yusho tomorrow. However, I seriously doubt Aoiyama stands a chance against Terunofuji, so I think at best we see a Hakuho/Terunofuji rematch. Jesus, has there ever been an 8-way playoff?

What I read on wikipedia earlier is that there has once been a 5-way playoff, once a 4-way playoff, and 3 times a 3-way playoff - otherwise, no other playoffs other than 2 rikishi. So yeah - tomorrow could be historic in a big way if everything plays right.

edit: assuming thats the case, will this still play as a "random draw, first to 2 consecutive wins" playoff? assuming 2 consecutive wins right off the bat, 5 rikishi won't even get a chance to win.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Absolutely great finish to a great tournament.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JdCQQIotvI

:stare:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
:stonk:

what a fuckin basho

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kisenosato-Kotoshogiku confirmed something I've been suspecting all week - they're both pretty much the same wrestler at this point, down to the the belly-bumping.

Hell of a way to end this basho.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Incredible finale to a great basho, what a move by Harumafuji! I was wondering overnight if they'd promote Terunofuji if he managed to win the tournament and I'm glad they did. If he can keep going the way he is it won't be long before he's knocking on the yokozuna door.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
That move when Harumafuji ducks a bit and lounges at Hakuho waist to grab his belt and put himself in a better postion is so friggin quick. The smaller yokozuna has amazing skills.

What an impredictable basho. Grats to Terunofuji.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Kanthulhu posted:

That move when Harumafuji ducks a bit and lounges at Hakuho waist to grab his belt and put himself in a better postion is so friggin quick.

Such a great move.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

While Harumafuji can leave you scratching your head at times (that performance against Gagamaru still has me going WTF), it's matches like today that remind you that he earned his yokozuna rank fair and square.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

While Harumafuji can leave you scratching your head at times (that performance against Gagamaru still has me going WTF), it's matches like today that remind you that he earned his yokozuna rank fair and square.

I came here just to marvel at that move by Harumafuji. He was finished, and then he had the upper hand, and then Hakuho was finished. That was right out of Mainoumi's playbook.

It was so disappointing watching all the 10-4s fall out of the race, but what a finish in the end. I love this loving sport.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

That was really great to watch. A shame that the tiebreaker didn't happen, but the whole basho was just awesome. Both Fujis own.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
When Kintamayama showed Ura's fight where he ducked low to avoid slaps, I thought that kind of movement would be useless in the highest ranks. Then Harumafuji pulls the EXACT SAME poo poo and it's magical is what it is.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I've always suspected that Harumafuji is half frog.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kikkoman posted:

When Kintamayama showed Ura's fight where he ducked low to avoid slaps, I thought that kind of movement would be useless in the highest ranks. Then Harumafuji pulls the EXACT SAME poo poo and it's magical is what it is.

This guy survived 5 straight years in makuuchi. Harumafuji and Ura are bringing back 90s style, just when we thought the 90s were safely forgotten.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

That dude is badass

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Great basho all around, except for Oosunaarashi getting hurt and Tochinoshin more than likely getting dicked out of a sanyaku rank.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Just got a chance to finally catch up from Day 12 on. What a loving end to that basho. This sport rules.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Great end. Terunofuji's stablemate helping him win the tournament was pretty :3: Also the cut away to Aminishiki smiling at the news.

Oh yeah, someone said that they're promoting Terunofuji to ozeki? When did they say that? I missed it someplace.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say Terunofuji wins the next basho. Would that automatically promote him to Yokozuna under the current rules?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Uncle Jam posted:

Hakuho is on an insane streak but Terunofuji is looking very very good. Hard to tell. I just think its a good chance for Terunofuji because Harumafuji is still in pain, Kakuryu is not entering this time, and all of the Ozeki have been doing very poorly lately. So, there is a good chance that Hakuho is his only competition and won't get wins taken off of him.

In other news, Kakuryu is not entering, and Endo has decided to enter. Endo seems somewhat forced to do some sumo training. He went 1-5 in training against a guy who has never been in Juryo (just newly promoted now), so its hard to see how he can get a record to avoid Juryo demotion.

Well, it happened like I thought but took no where near the path I was thinking. A really great basho. Out of the endo oosunaarashi and ichinojo group terunofuji is the first to make it somewhere. He was really solid too, so it's nice to see the chips fall right for him.

anakha posted:

Say Terunofuji wins the next basho. Would that automatically promote him to Yokozuna under the current rules?

Nope. There are no automatic promotions really, there is a yokozuna deliberations council that determines everything. 2 yushos in a row is de facto but not in the rules (at ozeki rank)

Mary Annette posted:

Great basho all around, except for Oosunaarashi getting hurt and Tochinoshin more than likely getting dicked out of a sanyaku rank.

They will probably have 3 komusubi next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah, the Yokozuna Deliberation Counsel is the only body with the license to promote to yokozuna and could in theory promote anyone they wanted. That's why sometimes questionable people are promoted like Kakuryu who only won one tournament.

Before World War II two families had license to promote wrestlers to yokozuna and they often did so for political reasons, meaning that yokozuna were not always the best rikishi.