Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yea I was furious at a henka for the first time but it just made these next few days even more exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgKsreOtE94

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

brave prediction: hakuhou will take this

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I just got caught up, those days 8 and 9 Terunofuji matches were crazy

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 12: https://youtu.be/HY1RYRBVJck

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Wow, weird final match. Hakuho didn't seem all there during that second go.

My prediction is that Harumafuji wins this basho. He's looked on point these past few days. Terunofuji should be able to get his kachikoshi too and I REALLY hope that he finally ends up getting healed fully.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I can't remember the last time I've missed this much of a basho. Missed Sunday's, then was so busy on work travel M-F that I ended up watching Sun-Thurs' videos all in one go. Especially with how nuts this basho is, you can imagine the wide range of emotions felt in the span of an hour. Most of all being that Shohozan can go gently caress himself.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
OK, I'm fairly new to sumo, so a question:

why, precisely, was the matta called in the final match? Did the judge screw up, or was there something one of the fighters did wrong? Usually its an obvious false start, but that wasn't so obvious to me.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The head shimpan (those are the guys in the black robes on each side of the ring) across from the gyoji called for a matta late so the gyoji has to enforce it. It still is pretty weird.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

It's the definitive proof that sumo is fixed #conspiracy

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Quantrill posted:

It's the definitive proof that sumo is fixed #conspiracy

lmao all it did was make the results even more embarrassing.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Uncle Jam posted:

The head shimpan (those are the guys in the black robes on each side of the ring) across from the gyoji called for a matta late so the gyoji has to enforce it. It still is pretty weird.

I'm fine with that. I think my confusion is that maybe I don't understand what a matta is. Both fighters clearly had a hand down before the charge. Did the side ref clearly and unambiguously gently caress up, or is there something else that must be done before you can charge?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Northjayhawk posted:

I'm fine with that. I think my confusion is that maybe I don't understand what a matta is. Both fighters clearly had a hand down before the charge. Did the side ref clearly and unambiguously gently caress up, or is there something else that must be done before you can charge?

It just seems like they hosed up. Rare, but it happens.

Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_-k4W_aBLA

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

It just seems like they hosed up. Rare, but it happens.

Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_-k4W_aBLA

That double tsuri, just wow.

Just like Kintamayama said, it's gonna come down to the final day. Sumo rocks.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

In Hakuho vs Goeidou, it says goeido fell by himself, but it really looks to me like he was trying for a Henka and Hakuho stuffed him hard.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Gibbo posted:

In Hakuho vs Goeidou, it says goeido fell by himself, but it really looks to me like he was trying for a Henka and Hakuho stuffed him hard.

I think you are correct. I was confused the first couple times I saw that match, but now that I see it again with your theory, I think you nailed it.

edit: Another detail:

Goeido stepped on the refs foot, and the ref yanked his foot away. You are still correct that he obviously went for a Henka, but because he did that he put himself in the position of stepping on the ref's foot.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 23, 2016

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
miso paste

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
Day 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfxiZoIXY6Y

:stare:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

:popcorn:

What the hell is going on here.

Also hoooooly poo poo the kensho wad for the last match. Going to throw out someone's shoulder.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

This Basho is the best in a long time, holy poo poo

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

That's the kind of day you can show to people to answer the question, "why do you like sumo so much?"

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

WindyMan posted:

That's the kind of day you can show to people to answer the question, "why do you like sumo so much?"

It loses its luster a bit if you weren't watching the 13 days leading up to said video, but you could indeed run a clinic on a day like yesterday.

I love how nearly every chance for a conspiracy is being squashed. No easy kachikoshis and nobody making it easy for the JP hopeful. If Hakuho wins tomorrow as I expect he will, you'll be able to hear a pin drop in sumotalk.

Well, uh, let's see what happens tomorrow?

Goeido v Kisenosato - going kadoban on the line for the former, chance for a yusho on the line for the latter
Terunofuji v Kaisei - losing ozeki rank on the line for the former, first kachikoshi in first basho as sekiwake on the line for the latter
Harumafuji v Hakuho - guaranteed yusho on the line for the former, lots and lots (and lots) of pride on the line for the latter (Hakuho hasn't gone 10-5 since 2012)
Also 5 rank-and-filers with a shot at 10 wins

So many special awards to be given out this basho.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I could see Hakuho pulling a fast one and henkaing or some other tricky move but barring that, I don't really see him winning. Apparently the big toe injury he has is actually pretty bad for sumo because they're pretty important in gripping the dohyo, thus why you keep seeing Hakuho fall over a bunch. But of course Hakuho is really good so I could be totally wrong in my prediction.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Day 13 Thought: I have no idea why they scored that bout a hiwaza, the gyoji's foot notwithstanding. They will almost always consider slips a kimarite unless there was little or no contact--hatakikomi, oshidashi, anything.

Day 14 Thought: That's the biggest bunch of envelopes I think I've ever seen.

You ever find yourself noticing the same spectators in the crowd day after day? Or like, sometimes it's not the same person but the same type of person?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Halloween Jack posted:

You ever find yourself noticing the same spectators in the crowd day after day? Or like, sometimes it's not the same person but the same type of person?

Hard not to miss the Ferrari enthusiast back there.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
In Tokyo it's the Olympic Ojisan. The old guy with the gold top hat that has the Japanese flag on it. Somehow he has tickets for every single basho in Tokyo pretty close to the ring.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just caught the 12:30 showing of the NHK highlights - Kintama still hasn't put out his update and may not for a whiel longer. Really good segment today, so be sure to catch the 4:30pm showing if you're still in the dark and get a chance.

My thoughts:
Beyond pissed that complete nobody Shohozan ruined the chance for at least a playoff with a henka. I hope he bounces between makuuchi and juryo for the rest of his career.
Four special prizes, drat. Just that kind of a basho.
Shodai and Mitakeumi remind me of when Myogiryu or Endo looked like they were going to light the world on fire. Time will tell if they turn into anything special.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Fryhtaning posted:

Shodai and Mitakeumi remind me of when Myogiryu or Endo looked like they were going to light the world on fire. Time will tell if they turn into anything special.

Let's just hope they keep their knees and shoulders in one piece. (well, the correct number of pieces)

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Day 15 is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBIUUloF1Q0

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That's 8 yushos for Harumafuji to date, all within Hakuho's era of dominance. Hopefully any remaining whispers about him being a 'second-tier yokozuna' will be silenced now.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

Just caught the 12:30 showing of the NHK highlights - Kintama still hasn't put out his update and may not for a whiel longer. Really good segment today, so be sure to catch the 4:30pm showing if you're still in the dark and get a chance.

My thoughts:
Beyond pissed that complete nobody Shohozan ruined the chance for at least a playoff with a henka. I hope he bounces between makuuchi and juryo for the rest of his career.
Four special prizes, drat. Just that kind of a basho.

I don't think Endo ever looked like the 2nd coming. His highest kk is M5 and that was an 8-7. Yeah he's had some double digit wins way down there but a lot of guys do that. He just boarded the hype train somehow, even when he was in juryo he was getting cms for chocolates and stuff, it was bizarre.

To me the style of shodai and the ease of some of his wins reminds me more of terunofuji. Mitakeumi I'm still not convinced...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Mongolian collusion!!!!! :derp:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I dunno, I kind of feel like if the dude you want to win and become yokozuna fucks up to a nobody by way of some very standard trick, it's kind of on him, not the nobody.

Re: Endo: NHK announcers attribute his not doing great to injuries. They were talking about how basically the injury system is hurting sumo, using Endo as an example. Because Endo is forced to fight on these injuries, he doesn't do as well as he could, his career is shorter, and the sport loses a popular wrestler who definitely helps sumo's popularity.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

I dunno, I kind of feel like if the dude you want to win and become yokozuna fucks up to a nobody by way of some very standard trick, it's kind of on him, not the nobody.

Re: Endo: NHK announcers attribute his not doing great to injuries. They were talking about how basically the injury system is hurting sumo, using Endo as an example. Because Endo is forced to fight on these injuries, he doesn't do as well as he could, his career is shorter, and the sport loses a popular wrestler who definitely helps sumo's popularity.

Let's be real here - unless you're so much bigger and stronger than your opponent that you can actually take it easy on the tachi-ai, what are the odds of henkas actually failing? Extremely low. Kisenosato is the most balanced rikishi out there, had his head up, and still went diving into the crowd. Most of the reason Giku got his yusho was because nobody henka'd him, and an extra edge that the yokozunae have in a per-basho basis is that they almost never get henka'd. When it's against a yokozunae or someone in the race, it's the equivalent of swinging on a 3-0 pitch during a blowout.

I don't think henkas should be outlawed, but there's a fine line as far as the sportsmanship goes. To take the piss out of an over-aggressive maegashira that's been trying to get the upper hand on the tachi-ai? Of course. Against someone that is expected by the kyokai to always display strong/attacking sumo? No.

In any case, Harumafuji was a notch better than Kisenosato this basho and deserves every bit of the trophy - even if he benefited from a henka and got to avoid fighting his stablemate Terunofuji.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
henkas are great and i love every single one

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fryhtaning posted:

I don't think henkas should be outlawed, but there's a fine line as far as the sportsmanship goes. To take the piss out of an over-aggressive maegashira that's been trying to get the upper hand on the tachi-ai? Of course. Against someone that is expected by the kyokai to always display strong/attacking sumo? No.
Frankly, I think it's lame for any competitive athletic sport to have a technique that is perfectly legal but frowned upon for aesthetic/sportsmanship reasons--such a thing should be totally accepted or totally disallowed. This isn't figure skating.

I notice Ura has many matches where he simply doesn't tachi-ai. People call his style "weird" because it looks the way most grappling sports work. What do people think about that? Harumafuji has that not-a-henka where he goes in at an angle to secure a left outside grip, and it looks like great technique to me.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Halloween Jack posted:

Frankly, I think it's lame for any competitive athletic sport to have a technique that is perfectly legal but frowned upon for aesthetic/sportsmanship reasons--such a thing should be totally accepted or totally disallowed. This isn't figure skating.

What a hosed up way to look at sports.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Officer Sandvich posted:

henkas are great and i love every single one

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ras Het posted:

What a hosed up way to look at sports.

How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Well the only sport I've ever been invested in has been association football, where the aesthetics and ethics of the game are a gigantic part of the culture.