Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
That's a great example! To people who aren't into it, soccer is mainly known for its beautiful culture of faking injuries like a little bitch. But why shouldn't players do it if they're never going to get carded for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Well that's the point, utilising grey areas will always piss someone off. Weird sexist and homophobic insults are also a cardable offense on the pitch, afaik

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Ras Het posted:

Well that's the point, utilising grey areas will always piss someone off.

There's nothing gray area about henkas, though; a win by henka is every bit as legalistically legit as any other technique. It's just a culturally unwritten rule that We Don't Do That. Diving in soccer is against the rules, but it persists because you can exploit holes in the ref's ability to fully see the action. Even the famous unwritten rules of baseball are about managing player conduct, not ignoring core rules.

To fight esoteric with esoteric, the henka issue is really like makanding in cricket, which is similarly baffling to me in how steadfast people get against it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

dupersaurus posted:

There's nothing gray area about henkas, though; a win by henka is every bit as legalistically legit as any other technique. It's just a culturally unwritten rule that We Don't Do That. Diving in soccer is against the rules, but it persists because you can exploit holes in the ref's ability to fully see the action. Even the famous unwritten rules of baseball are about managing player conduct, not ignoring core rules.

To fight esoteric with esoteric, the henka issue is really like makanding in cricket, which is similarly baffling to me in how steadfast people get against it.

Yes, you're right - there's probably better examples from football, like brazen time wasting or some of those weird corner/free kick manoeuvres.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Henkas are fine and Japanese journalists that get upset about them are on par with American journalists getting upset about quarterbacks with tattoos.

There's some grumbling when a yokozuna does a blantant one but people are pretty ok for anyone else using them.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

There's some grumbling when a yokozuna does a blantant one but people are pretty ok for anyone else using them.

Imagine if they didn't grumble - Kotoshogiku would get henka'd 10 times every baso.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fryhtaning posted:

Imagine if they didn't grumble - Kotoshogiku would get henka'd 10 times every baso.

Then he'd fall out of the top ranks like he should in that case and make way for someone capable of learning

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Some sad news - Chiyonofuji died.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/07/31/sumo/sumo-icon-chiyonofuji-dies-61/

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I just saw that, on Asashoryu's facebook page of all places. So sad :smith:

Arguably the best of all time when you take into account for the competitiveness of his era, and looked as if he were chiseled out of solid marble.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I knew he had cancer, but I had the impression he was getting past it.

Gonna miss his flashy jackets in the NHK commentary box.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Wow a banzuke

code:
MAKUUCHI
Harumafuji   	Y	Hakuho
Kakuryu   	Y	--
Kisenosato   	O	Terunofuji
Goeido		O	Kotoshogiku
Takayasu   	S	Takarafuji
Kaisei		K	Tochiozan
Okinoumi   	M1	Yoshikaze
Tochinoshin	M2   	Shodai
Takanoiwa   	M3   	Ichinojo
Myogiryu   	M4   	Chiyootori
Aoiyama   	M5   	Mitakeumi
Chiyonokuni 	M6   	Tamawashi
Shohozan   	M7   	Ikioi
Daishomaru	M8   	Kotoyuki
Nishikigi   	M9   	Takekaze
Arawashi   	M10   	Sadanoumi
Sokokurai   	M11   	Homarefuji
Gagamaru   	M12   	Chiyoshoma
Amakaze   	M13   	Toyohibiki
Endo   		M14   	Kagayaki
Tokushoryu   	M15 	Kyokushuho
Daieisho   	M16

JURYO
Ura   		J1	Osunaarashi
Seiro 		J2	Kitaharima
Azumaryu   	J3	Amuru
Hidenoumi   	J4	Chiyotairyu
Chiyomaru   	J5	Sadanofuji
Ishiura		J6	Daiki
Tsurugisho   	J7	Asasekiryu
Toyonoshim	J8	Chiyoo
Sato   		J9	Satoyama 
Kotoeko   	J10	Aminishiki
Asabenkei   	J11	Kizenryu
Onosho		J12	Asahisho
Kyokutaisei  	J13	Wakanoshima
Fujiazuma   	J14	Kitataiki
Well the big surprises here are Osunaarashi gets demoted to Juryo from M3e which is crazy, and they decided to promote Amakaze up to Makuuchi. Not only just to Makuuchi but all the way to M13. A year ago all the guys from Juryo would be compressed at the bottom of Makuuchi but they're really flinging the fuckers up there now.

Takayasu and Takarafuji are both first time sekiwakes, and its the 3rd basho in the row that this has happened (2 new sekiwake). The last time it happened was in like 1938 for four basho in a row.

Kisenosato is still in his perpetual yusho -> yokozuna chance.

Goeido and Kotoshogiku are kadoban, so if they don't get to at least 8 wins they are demoted from Ozeki.

Upper Juryo is really crazy this basho, I'd safely say its a stronger list of wrestlers than lower Makuuchi. Pay attention to any exchange matches that show up.

Tokitenku has retired. He is the guy who was always in mid makuuchi and always tried leg trips and leg sweeps. He started missing bashos after being diagnosed with malignant lymphoma. He's lost a ton of weight due to the treatment and at 36 has decided that once he beats the disease trying to regain the lost muscle mass is too much. A darker way to look at it is his joining the sumo association as an elder ensures payment of retirement benefits to his family.

No mage cutting ceremony, unfortunately. Hope for the best!

Aminishiki still doesn't have full movement of his ankle where he tore his Achilles tendon, so its looking grim for his career as well. My thinking is he'll give it a go this basho, not find a lot of success, and announce his retirement in the middle. He is one of my favorite dudes as well. He is positioned to become oyakata immediately, and look to see him featured in the NHK booth regularly.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Uncle Jam posted:

Well the big surprises here are Osunaarashi gets demoted to Juryo from M3e which is crazy

Again? This is absurd. I think Osunaarashi proved pretty competently last time that he doesn't belong in Juryo.

Edit: The last time someone fell to Juryo from M3e is 1770. Someone really doesn't like Osunaarashi.

hot date tonight! fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 1, 2016

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I asked Kintamayama his thoughts on Oosunaarashi's tumble down the banzuke. His response:

Kintamayama posted:

You can never really know what's going on during those banzuke making sessions and what the guidelines are, as these days there don't seem to be any.. It indeed is very harsh. Lately they have been treating kyujos pretty harshly.

:shrug:

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Dr.Radical posted:

I asked Kintamayama his thoughts on Oosunaarashi's tumble down the banzuke. His response:

New head of the kyokai being a little too harsh on the rules I guess? I don't love the new hands down rules either, the number of mattas has been ridiculous.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Check out videos from the 60s and 70s. They barely bend over before the start.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Dr.Radical posted:

Check out videos from the 60s and 70s. They barely bend over before the start.

Probably a little too far in the other direction, fun to watch though for sure.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

No mage cutting ceremony, unfortunately. Hope for the best!

I read somewhere (Twitter or sumoforum) that he had a danpatsu shiki with family before undergoing treatment so at least he'd have his mage if he wasn't able to wrestle again.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Hakuho and Ichinojo are out due to injury.
Hakuho had a bone chip in his toe removed and other various ligament injuries.

Ichinojos back pain ramped up again. I think this is pretty bad because he is one of the youngest in makuuchi. If he doesn't lose weight his career is going to be short.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kisenosato has his best chance to yusho now. Hope he doesn't gently caress it up this time.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Kisenosato has his best chance to yusho now.
Hope he fucks it up again.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

anakha posted:

Kisenosato has his best chance to yusho now. Hope he doesn't gently caress it up this time.

Jinxed it!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

lol Kisenosato is never gonna be a yokozuna. This is Harumafuji's basho to lose.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8L2kozTJqY

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Okinomi just taking sanyaku heads left and right :staredog:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJo4fnpoe48

Okinoumi's crushing it so far :stare:

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 13, 2016

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

:getin: Tochinoshin, get hosed Kisenosato

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Tochinoshin is exactly what Kisenosato is not. Taking a second chance at his career to its fullest. If Tochinoshin retired tomorrow, he would have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. The guy is a credit to the sport.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Where has this Okinoumi been? Has he been fighting mono for the last 3 years or something? It's not like he squeaked through those wins either.

Kisenosato is turning into the retarded kid that everyone likes to troll.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Fryhtaning posted:

Where has this Okinoumi been? Has he been fighting mono for the last 3 years or something? It's not like he squeaked through those wins either.

Kisenosato is turning into the retarded kid that everyone likes to troll.

Clearly it's match fixing

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I feel like this will be a huge basho in that the entire top half of the rankings will be completely changed. I also feel like this will be the one that ends the Kisenosato to Yokozuna and we start talking about Okinoumi instead.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

I feel like this will be a huge basho in that the entire top half of the rankings will be completely changed. I also feel like this will be the one that ends the Kisenosato to Yokozuna and we start talking about Okinoumi instead.

I don't know about that, since Giku and Goeido look like they should squeak through their 8 or 9 to hold on to their ranks. But we could have 2 or 3 legitimate Ozeki contenders all of a sudden, where there were none before.

There's no way Yokinoumi is ever a thing, even as impressive as he looks so far. He's never won 10 at a rank higher than M5, and he went 8-7 last basho even with his kinboshi. At best I think he'll have a short Yoshikaze surge where we briefly talk about Ozeki before realizing he's too old and inconsistent.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

I don't know about that, since Giku and Goeido look like they should squeak through their 8 or 9 to hold on to their ranks. But we could have 2 or 3 legitimate Ozeki contenders all of a sudden, where there were none before.

There's no way Yokinoumi is ever a thing, even as impressive as he looks so far. He's never won 10 at a rank higher than M5, and he went 8-7 last basho even with his kinboshi. At best I think he'll have a short Yoshikaze surge where we briefly talk about Ozeki before realizing he's too old and inconsistent.

I honestly don't think Goeido is going to make it. He has put on decent matches so far but he looks so broken down. How old is he now?

It might not ever happen, but Okinoumi is handling his business pretty well so far. It might be my hype talking, but that match today showed some flashes of greatness that has been missing from him over the last couple of years.

All it takes is the GOAT being injured to shake some things up and that gets me excited.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Kakuryu is totally screwed though, on day 3 he looked so scared of over committing he couldn't do anything. Wonder how much longer he's got left.

Lower down, Chioshoma's fights have been really cool.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Kakuryu is totally screwed though, on day 3 he looked so scared of over committing he couldn't do anything. Wonder how much longer he's got left.

Lower down, Chioshoma's fights have been really cool.

tbf, over-committing against Yoshikaze in full E. Honda mode usually results in a loss by hikiotoshi.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I honestly don't think Goeido is going to make it. He has put on decent matches so far but he looks so broken down. How old is he now?

All it takes is the GOAT being injured to shake some things up and that gets me excited.

He's 30 and I don't think he's ever slowed down as much as always been slightly overhyped. And yeah, anytime Hakuho is not dominating turns into a great basho.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Day 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmGCtFeIyAw

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I take back what I said about Goeido, he looked much better today. Oki is still doing work. If he keeps it up he definitely will get Ozeki

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAhjM3iKzW8

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Best day of the basho thus far, even if not much in the way of surprises.

Looks like it's coming down to two rikishi that once had higher hopes and have since been disappointing. Difference is, Okinoumi already has his hardest matches behind him...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Ura was robbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Calm down bucko, they did monoii