Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Anime Reference posted:

It was pretty funny to see Goueido lift Baruto off his feet. For a second I thought Baruto was about to get Baruto-ed.

And today he beats Hakuho for the first time ever. Finally got a chance to see the seat cushions fly.

By the way, a bit late, but thank you for this thread. I'd catch it on TV on occasion and it was fascinating, but I didn't know much at all of what was happening until this.

e: shits, didn't even think about spoilers. Sorry about that!

Lock fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

seorin posted:

I read somewhere that it's not unheard of for a yokozuna to withdraw from a tournament, especially in case of injury. I'm not sure this is an injury, though. The youtube folks think so, but they interviewed an expert on the news over here (yes, this is that unusual) and his opinion was that Hakuho just wants the win too much, and his impatience is costing him.

It looks like all match-ups after a withdrawal are an automatic loss, which is why Apraxin was mentioning earlier that Myogiryu dropped several ranks after his injury. It sounds like he lost rank even for tournaments he never took part in. Since anybody besides a yokozuna can be demoted, that would be the main worry for most rikishi. In Hakuho's case, though, it would just be pride, and unfortunately, he is a very proud person.

The NHK English broadcasters were saying something about a sprained finger, for what it's worth. No idea how accurate that is.