Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

WindyMan posted:

Are there any sumo goons in L.A.? The US Sumo Open is on Saturday and I was thinking of going down to check it out.

http://www.usasumo.com/us-sumo-open/2016-us-sumo-open/

Man I watched some of this on YouTube and was bummed, but I am sure it's alright in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The entire lineup for next basho is going to be shook up like a mother fucker with a lot of people catching a makekoshi all over the rankings. Meanwhile all three Yokozuna looked real good, and Hakuho is still the greatest of all time

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I have no idea how he pulled off that kimarite after his leg had been hooked.

Just straight up dead lifted him with no leverage. He is insane.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Some weird projecting going on there.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Gagamaru is showing a little more strength and agility this basho.

He has lost a bit of weight since last time it looks like, but if he can't climb out of Juryo I dunno what his future is looking like.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yea I was furious at a henka for the first time but it just made these next few days even more exciting.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Quantrill posted:

It's the definitive proof that sumo is fixed #conspiracy

lmao all it did was make the results even more embarrassing.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

This Basho is the best in a long time, holy poo poo

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I feel like this will be a huge basho in that the entire top half of the rankings will be completely changed. I also feel like this will be the one that ends the Kisenosato to Yokozuna and we start talking about Okinoumi instead.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

I don't know about that, since Giku and Goeido look like they should squeak through their 8 or 9 to hold on to their ranks. But we could have 2 or 3 legitimate Ozeki contenders all of a sudden, where there were none before.

There's no way Yokinoumi is ever a thing, even as impressive as he looks so far. He's never won 10 at a rank higher than M5, and he went 8-7 last basho even with his kinboshi. At best I think he'll have a short Yoshikaze surge where we briefly talk about Ozeki before realizing he's too old and inconsistent.

I honestly don't think Goeido is going to make it. He has put on decent matches so far but he looks so broken down. How old is he now?

It might not ever happen, but Okinoumi is handling his business pretty well so far. It might be my hype talking, but that match today showed some flashes of greatness that has been missing from him over the last couple of years.

All it takes is the GOAT being injured to shake some things up and that gets me excited.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I take back what I said about Goeido, he looked much better today. Oki is still doing work. If he keeps it up he definitely will get Ozeki

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

besides the matches, the best thing about today's video is the two little obaasans in pink in the left corner. they are hyped af

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

That's actually a comedy couple known for wearing pink and laughing annoyingly. Think Richard Simmons in husband and wife form.

http://rocketnews24.com/2016/03/11/722141/

My SO saw them and called them idiots and never funny so...

To be fair most manzai duos are unfunny as poo poo so makes sense

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Some people just have an a need to not enjoy things (despite obsessively following it) and like coming up for reasons to hate it. Which is fine, but can turn into a circle jerk of hate like in this case. It's absurd.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

On of the things I enjoy most about sumo is the historical aspect. For example, the audience is always a survey of fashion trends across a 90-year period.

My favorite costume is the ultra patriotic old man costume with All Japan everything followed closely by salary man minus the tie, casual Friday look.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

TotallyGreen posted:

M13 to M3 for Endo - Gonna be a rough ride. Hopefully he's up to it. It's never fun to see 12-3 followed by like 3-12.

Ikioi when they bumped him way up at the beginning of the year

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Mary Annette posted:

I like the cut of his jib. The sumo world could do with more facial hair, and also, dude is yoked.

Yea that young dude looks like he has been skipping extra rice and going straight for the squat rack.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

What would be funnier, Kise sweeping the Yoks and going 13-2 but finishing second to 14-1 Kakuryu who he beat head to head, or 14-1 Ishiura who beat nobody?

Ishiura is going to leap into the middle of the pack for next basho, and I am pretty sure he pleased with his performance (and facial hair).

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Rigel posted:

Japanese media are reporting that if Ishiura wins tomorrow, then from Day 13+, he will face wrestlers in the Sanyaku until he loses.

makes sense. He has a real shot at the win and it would be garbage if the toughest opponent he got was ikioi.

He did shave off his super powers though :/

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

thats a good rear end handle. I think I found a new favorite rikishi

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnSumoDataRikishi/profile?id=3442

Happy to see our boy sliding on up the rankings. If he can win some matches in that spot, I see him moving into the Endo portion of the banzuke next basho.

He is unreal body wise. Dude is hella muscles for a rikishi.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I wonder he is pretty lightweight but he showed some pretty good speed and power last time out. I still think he can pull 8 wins on that alone.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

It is so nice to see Hakuhou has his swagger back.

Ishiura is not losing because he is undersized, he is just getting out positioned and outworked, today especially :(

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Day 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbzCieY6wQM

Kisenosato looks like he did when he was going for Yokozuna at the beginning of 2016 instead of whatever that was at the end of the year.

How can someone be Gagamaru's size and get tossed around like he's filled with air? I hope he goes back down to Juyro because his matches are awful to watch.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Who would pick sumo as a career with no size at all?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Rigel posted:

Harumafuji has withdrawn. Ikioi will get a walkover victory. I assume that will not count as a kinboshi or be anything to consider for prizes.

One Yokozuna out and the other one looking near retirement means this one is Hakuhou's to lose, with Kisenosato chasing.

Walkovers don't count for prizes, as far as I know.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

What's with all the near retirement talk about Kak lately? He's been a great Yokozuna and just came off a dominating yusho. Sucks about Harumafuji - that was a great win yesterday.

If Kak pulls out too that makes it even harder for Kise since there's pretty much nobody else who can help him out by giving an L to Hakuho - other than maybe Goeido. This may be the second time his Yokozuna chances come down to solely his Hakuho match.

There are rumors that he is being pressured to retire if he doesn't start having better matches.

Kise blew a great opportunity when Hak was out with injury. Now he is just going to have to be straight up better.

Shiroc posted:

How does it work for a yokozuna when they have to sit out due to injury? Do they get a pass on it if they can come back and win next tournament? If they had to miss two would they start getting pressured to retire immediately?

Depends on severity of injury. Hakuho sat out recently due to injury and it was no big whoop.

If you start missing 2 or 3 in a row, they will pressure you to retire. If you start losing a lot they will too.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Rigel posted:

:wtc:

Kise won, Hakuho inexplicably.... somehow..... lost and gave up a kinboshi to a guy who was 1-6. Pressure is on now, will Kisenosato crumble again?

I was mostly watching nonplussed until the Kise match, which he squeezed out a win, but holy poo poo I was not expecting that last match and the speed in which Hakuho got disposed of.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fist pumping like a mother fucker for Ikioi

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Lmao two days in a row of hakuho getting bum rushed has been quality. Kise does not have the speed to do this when the time comes though so he is going to have to try and yorikiri his way to victory

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

That stink eye that Hakuho had after that loss was amazing

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I can only assume they were trying to let him save face by giving him time to recover and pick himself up. I missed the last basho, but when was the last time someone got knocked out cold or hurt so badly they had to be carried off the dohyo in juryo or makuuchi?

I wanna say someone got knocked out two bashos ago but they didnt have to be stretchered off

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ichinojo is competitive when he isn't hurt, so he isn't going to be a walkover for Kise. Don't know enough about Takanoiwa though

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

With the way both other Yokos were performing, surely he would have beaten them, so I would hope if he beats Hakuho straight up and wins the whole thing, they would promote him.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Takekaze's old, no neck having rear end is lowkey one of my favorite dudes and is having a pretty solid basho, btw. Hope he hits 10 wins tommorow

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

He's prolly getting promoted either way I bet. Japanese sumo fans want this badly

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I just wanna see him crowned a Yokozuna, otherwise we wont have any in about two years

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Takekaze ended up with ten wins, and looking spry despite being the oldest rikishi. If I were him, I would give it one more basho and then hang it up going out on a high note.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Saw this in the related videos and never realized how much I needed a Rikishi travel show starring Ikioi and Takekaze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-5uw-XjhZk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The middle of the pack is stacked with some dudes that have floated around the m1 and higher positions in the past. There's some real parity below ozeki and then just a huge gap above that.