Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
Not to rain on the parade but this freakonomics piece made me go from mildly interested in sumo to never really wanting to watch it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qKP9v-76w4. (A little bit of the beginning of this piece is in the part2 video before it). The piece is ultimately interesting and disheartening at the same time and reveals a bit about the darker side of Japanese culture. Many of the events held at Japanese MMA organizations like pride have had many dubious behind the scene issues and match fixing. I think its a combination of yakuza influence in combat sports and the Japanese culture of silence.

Quodio Stotes fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot

Mr. Fix It posted:

As was mentioned in the OP, the Spring tournament was canceled last year due to this scandal. NHK was even considering no longer broadcasting any sumo, so the fact that they are still doing it at least makes me hopeful they're trying to root out corruption.

The yakuza connection sort of exists (sumo = traditional = right wing = organized crime), but the real cause of match fixing is how the banzuke is put together. If you win 8 times, you'll get promoted. If you only win 7 times, you'll get demoted. There's a lot of value in that 8th win, and much less in getting your 9th. You'd see the evidence of fixes in the largely in bouts between rikishi with 7-7 and 8-6 records. The 7-7 guy would win a disproportionate amount of the time, with the 8-7 almost always winning the next time the two crooked rikishi met.

Yea they go through that in the video I posted. Its not just yakuza I know, its ingrained in the sport. If you watch the clip they found that they only stopped cheating for like a year after they got caught then went right back to it, its kind of sad. It happens in matches that arent 7-7 matches as well.