Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
It makes me feel like I'm watching Dragonball Z Kai (where there's a lot of bullshit cut out and a much better action to dialog ratio).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Takanoyama's fighting spirit is just inspiring. He clearly goes balls out into every match, but his massive size disadvantage just can't really be overcome by technique. Unless he wanted to cheap out and try the Aran way of winning, I guess...

As for Baruto, I was so very much hoping he'd gain promotion but he just hasn't looked in form enough to warrant it. And his ups and downs will not get him there any faster. He needs to maintain match-to-match fighting quality and then also win. No a small order by any stretch of the imagination, but that's what he needs to earn his title. I hope he can do it, as I really like him.

I seem to remember Asashoryu having quite a wide split during his dohyo-iri, but that might be my dumb brain tricking me.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

uinfuirudo posted:

He is definitely really entertaining to watch. Kakuryuu is looking really good, but I seriously dont think that anyone definitely can truly compete with Hakuhou right now hes just unbelievably good.

You know, the one thing that stands out to me in terms of separating Hakuho from the others is his starting stance. I've been watching closer since there have been ozeki looking to get promoted, but no one really looks solid, centered and steady the way Hakuho does. It just really sticks out at me and reminds me of past yokozunas. Most guys seem to put too much weight forward onto their hands/wrists/shoulders like a football lineman (or track runners) would. Since linemen (and runners) are meant to put force only forward (for the most part) it makes sense for them. Sumo, on the other hand, I think would be better served keeping their weight balanced and steady rather than attempting to make a headstrong rush at the start.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 22, 2012

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Anime Reference posted:

This basho is the first time I've watched sumo since they stopped showing "Sumo Digest" on ESPN2 years ago, but a week of matches is all it took to be able to recognize Hakuho's stance instantly. It's really distinctive.

I've been watching off and on for years (and man do I miss Sumo Digest), but it really seems to be a big thing that a lot of wrestlers just don't get (that most yokozuna seem to have figured out). I would think the stance would be one of the biggest teaching points since balance is everything, but maybe I'm wrong. I've never delved into sumo instruction to really know for sure.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Wow, what a basho! I haven't been that into the final in some time. I was hoping for a Kakuryuu win (as I'm guessing most were), but either way I quite enjoyed the tournament.

Hopefully Kakuryuu can keep his momentum up and Baruto can come back in May and be strong and we could be in for another fantastic basho.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Massive congratulations to Kakuryu. Definitely earned that promotion.

As for the historical 6th ozeki now being a reality, I can't really see another yokozuna happening until Hakuho retires. He just has so much skill in the ring that I can't see him losing 3 matches in consecutive tournaments. And if he did start to slide to 3 losses consistently, he may very well hang it up at that point. He doesn't have anything left to prove to this crop of wrestlers, either.

Then it is just going to be a riot to get that yokozuna promotion. And I for one will love every minute of it. :)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Well, I'm almost 100% that I will be at the January tournament. The only thing left to do it make sure work doesn't try any pull some "major project" poo poo to prevent me from going. I'll be putting up the money for the best tickets I can manage. Hopefully I can score something in the first few rows on the camera side.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Well poo poo. :(

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 3 was quality. Aoiyama is certainly looking good. Chiyotairyuu as well. Hopefully they can keep it up. Baruto being Baruto as usual.

I wonder if he'll get too smug and get slapped for it again? Hopefully not. He's one of my favorites (as well as being one of the few makuuchi and only ozeki I've managed to meet; wonderful guy, great attitude and always smiling) and I'd like to see him go on a run at Yoko. It'll mostly depend on him getting his in-ring ego in check, I think, as well as avoiding re-injuring his left knee.

Also, I've noticed another thing that separates Hakuho from the rest of the wrestlers. He takes his stance at a noticeable angle to the line and his opponent (as opposed almost all other wrestlers that look to take a more line-parallel stance). I have to imagine that this helps him to concentrate his opening force to one side of his opponent's body, likely staggering them or at least disrupting their opening move. Though, you'd have to think that his opponents would have picked up and accounted for his stance. But having gone back and watched several random matches, it looks like his opening is more often than not the reason for his wins. Skill helps, but he tends to get in close and get a belt grip due to his opening moves whereas his patience (and sometimes lack thereof) leads to his results in longer matches. I do wonder if he hits with such force (not being a small man, after all) that it doesn't really matter to all but the largest and most balanced of wrestlers in that they know it will cause them trouble.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

Hakuhou is fighting really strange this tournament. Besides almost losing, the fight today (day 3) was really strange. Lots of holding and pushing back waiting for a chance to do something. Hesistant, as the uploader said.

Indeed. He almost looked as though he didn't know what to do or had no confidence in his ability to choose a move until forced into action. Very strange.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

a false posted:

maybe he'll finally get the hang of makuuchi at some point. i hope he does.

I hope so as well. I'm cooking up a scheme to try and meet him and a couple other lower ranked makuuchi when I go to the New Year's basho. I would really love to hear his take on wrestling sumo as an incredibly fit and strong but lightweight wrestler in a land of giants.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

gently caress henkas. Goddamnit what a poo poo way to win.

Also, agreed on the final match. It may have looked good to the crowd, but I never saw much in it aside from Baruto obviously panicking since he couldn't find leverage anywhere he turned and Hakuho just had to wait for him to try something desperate, which he did.

But goddamn Harumafuji is on fire. I honestly expect him to take the cup. I just can't see him losing with his current momentum and form. But, I've said that about Baruto before and well, history speaks for itself.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

Seriously, Aran has been winning with great technique. That was horseshit and I'm glad it blew up in his face. I really don't get why henka are so frequent in sumo considering how staunch the Japanese are about honor and saving face.

I'm hoping my current plans comes good and I get to meet with and possibly eat and drink with a couple makuuchi wrestlers during the January basho. If so, I drat sure plan on asking about it because I certainly despise their existence and it boggles my mind why it is tolerated in modern sumo.

Also, I am quickly becoming a fan of Shouhouzan.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

You might get killed for even implying that they're doing something dishonorable. Godspeed.

Oh there's no way I'd be dumb enough to imply to any of their faces that they do it and it is wrong. It'll be more of a "Why do you think this is tolerated?" sort of conversation. I've tread these waters before, I'm sure I'll manage to keep myself in one piece.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Agreed on your thoughts, Just Winging It.

Aran really needs to get away from his more Greco-Roman stance in the dohyo. He is leading with his arms and leaving himself open to armlocks or having his opponent push his arms up and go for his belt in doing so. He'd be much better served keeping his arms in and moving forward toward his opponent instead of this lovely wait-and-see sumo he's currently employing.

Gagamaru just needs to gently caress off back to training and lose some weight and learn what the hell balance and center of gravity are. He's doing himself a major disservice being so large that he can't effectively use his arms (or at all).

Aoiyama needs to learn to use his height to his advantage instead of letting his opponents use it against him. He does the same thing Baruto does on occasion and stands up too straight, allowing smaller opponents to get under his CoG and push him around. Getting his arms constantly locked doesn't help either. Aoiyama needs to get and stay lower and use his longer reach on smaller opponents (which is 2/3rds of them) to keep them from getting under him and onto his belt.

Kisenosato is doing extremely well. I love watching him dig his feet in before the tachi-ai. It gets me pumped to watch him wrestle.

In short, physics, how does that work!

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I think it was insulin he got warned about, actually. Covered in the post above. But yeah, the guy seems to have serious trouble putting on any weight at all. Which normally most people would kill for, but is actually a hindrance to his career.

In regards to small guys doing well, Mainoumi (a man so short at 5'7 1/2" he required an extremely painful and controversial scalp implant to reach the minimum fighting height for professional tournaments) reached komusubi rank and was widely regarded as one of the more exciting wrestlers to watch. He was hurt (and some thought retired permanently through injury) when a massive wrestler weighing over 270 kilos fell on him and destroyed one of his knees. A match, ironically, that he won. He came back after almost 20 months but wasn't the same. Has one of the best nicknames ever in "Department Store of Technique", given to him for his ability to use many different kimarite to win his matches. Also first modern era wrestler to win via the mitokorozeme (triple-attack) kimarite, which involves simultaneously grabbing one leg, inside tripping the other leg and headbutting your opponent to force them down. Currently announces for NHK's sumo broadcasts, I believe.

I don't specifically recall any other very small guys, but I'm sure they've been around.

edit: That'll teach me to not refresh before posting.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 14, 2012

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I have access to a ton of journal databases, I'll take a look for you.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

So I had a look through the databases I have access to and found these articles that may give you more sources:

The Protection of Reputation in Japan: A Systematic Analysis of Defamation Cases; Kitajima, Noriko; Law & Social Inquiry, ISSN 0897-6546, 2012, Volume 37, Issue 1, pp. 89 - 118

Corruption in Professional Sumo: An Update on the Study of Duggan and Levitt; Journal of Sports Economics, ISSN 1527-0025, 08/2010, Volume 11, Issue 4, pp. 383 - 396

Law in Everyday Japan: Sex, Sumo, Suicide, and Statutes; Ryang, Sonia; The Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, ISSN 1359-0987, 12/2006, Volume 12, Issue 4, p. 976

Japan's Gross National Cool; McGray, Douglas; Foreign Policy, ISSN 0015-7228, 05/2002, Issue 130, pp. 44 - 54

THE POLITICS OF SPORT AND LEISURE IN JAPAN: Global Power and Local Resistance; Horne, John; International Review for the Sociology of Sport, ISSN 1012-6902, 06/1998, Volume 33, Issue 2, pp. 171 - 182

Understanding Sport and Body Culture in Japan; HORNE, JOHN; Body & Society, ISSN 1357-034X, 06/2000, Volume 6, Issue 2, pp. 73 - 86

The Orient strikes back: advertising and imagining Japan; Moeran, B; Theory, Culture & Society, ISSN 0263-2764, 08/1996, Volume 13, Issue 3, pp. 77 - 112

Japanese Childhood, Modern Childhood: The Nation-State, the School, and 19th-Century Globalization; Platt, Brian; Journal of Social History, ISSN 0022-4529, 2005, Volume 38, Issue 4, pp. 965 - 985

The hard part is sifting out biology and genetics articles from results for sumo. This list probably isn't complete, but it is what I managed to find in a few minutes of looking. I did exclude newspaper articles since I imagine you've found plenty of those so far. Also, only the first result actually mentions Asashoryu (or so the search engine told me). I can get full texts of all these articles, so let me know if you want any of them.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

a false posted:

yeah this was a huge pain in the rear end when i was searching. but some of those articles definitely look like they could be useful, as do those two things that you linked, Just Winging It. i've already read a couple of those (the duggan & levitt study and Japan's Gross National Cool) and i should probably be able to find the rest from my school library + interlibrary loan (one of the nicer perks of going to a state school), but if i can't i'll definitely let you know :tipshat:

I'm also using a library system (1 Search, to be specific), so you should be able to get the full texts. If not, though, I'll snag them.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

seorin posted:

After you watch the TV coverage with the commentary, it will be really hard to go back. I keep meaning to cancel because of that price, but then the next sumo tournament is just around the corner.

Then again, I don't really know if the English commentary is as nice. I've never actually tried listening to it.

If it is the two Australian (I think?) guys that do the NHK English commentary, they are pretty good guys. I haven't watched a whole day of broadcast with them (just individual matches and leadups) but they seem to know what they are talking about and can be kinda funny too. Quite knowledgeable from what I remember.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Just Winging It posted:

Baruto v Toyohibiki, Baruto's looking good, probably good enough to make it to 10 wins, barring another injury.

Also, what's up with Homasho? He's on the banzuke but didn't appear today.

Tore his rotator cuff and needs a month off to heal after surgery. He didn't submit his medical certificate until today (the 13th), so he was listed on the banzuke but didn't wrestle.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2zAfU-dOkw

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

I think they pulled the rankings out of their rear end this time around.

Osunaarashi and Asahishou should be about the same rank since Asahishou was 2 ranks higher but won 1 less match than Osuna. But instead Osuna is J4 while Asahi gets the bump to M16. Ok fine, they're biased to experience, which also explains Homasho jumping even higher than Asahishou. Endo should have been J1 at best since he has no more experience than Osuna does.

If Baruto goes 14-1 they'll probably put him straight back to Komusubi at this rate.

Yeah, these rankings are just bizarrely chosen. I don't even see the point of putting Baruto into Juryo. Assuming his leg even functions a bit, he's going to obliterate everyone else. Unless the thinking is that they want to give him an easy return tournament in case he isn't 100%, but when has that sort of thinking ever occurred in sumo? All I know is the tournament will be drat entertaining, one way or another. Anyone want to take bets on how many rows into the crowd Baruto punts someone?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

I literally cannot visualize anything short of The Incredible Hulk on a rampage when I think of Baruto in Juryo. Literally cannot.

That's the exact same mental picture I got as well. I'm thinking maybe I should send a message to Kintamayama and see if he'd do a special "Baruto's Bash-o" video with him dyed green and his miwashi, tattered, in purple. And with comic-like special effects and overlays. I would pay good money for that.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

anakha posted:

Gyojis getting taken out by rikishi will never cease to be entertaining.

Gyoji bowling comes very close to rivaling crowd surfing as my favorite outcome.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

anakha posted:

Couple of questions for the more knowledgeable guys here:

1) I'm really enjoying Endo's rocketship-up-his-rear end rise up the ranks, but this has to level off at some point. What rank does people think he'll settle into?

2) Is Kotoshogiku really as one-dimensional (but really loving good at it) as his wins have made him look?

I really don't know about Endou. I see snippets of genius in his movements (which clearly comes from his school-class wrestling) and he seems to have a knack for picking openings, but I do wonder how much yo-yoing he will end up doing in the maegashira ranks before he gets enough makuuchi experience to make the climb up further. Hopefully he doesn't fall into the trap that is the komusubi/sekiwake/M1 meat grinder and suffer injuries, like many before him.

I think if he stays healthy and can keep from growing apathetic while grinding and gaining experience in maegashira, he could hit ozeki in a couple years. And if he can transition his school-class knowledge to makuuchi, I think he could be a yokozuna someday.

As for your second question, Kotoshogiku really is that one-dimensional. He's found his one thing he's (really, really) good at and decided to entrench there, sadly.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Omnikin posted:

Kisenosato primed for promotion to Yokozuna

On the heels of this last basho and his stellar performance I think he's worthy of the chance this time.

At least they seem to be sticking to the "13+ wins and the outright tournament win" before even considering it seriously. What I got from that article is that they don't think 12 wins and the title or even 14 wins without the title are enough to warrant discussion, and I agree. Last time it seemed like speculation was all he had to do was have consistent 13-14 win showings regardless of winning the tournament to get a shot. Thankfully we'll never know if that would have been enough. I, personally, like Kise but unless he beats at least one of the two yokozuna (preferably both) and gets an outright win (I would prefer two), he's got no business looking for an upgrade. However, I can see him getting the upgrade should he take tournament victories and beat Harumafuji. I see this as a nod to the greatness that is Hakuho and the council essentially saying "you are great, but don't worry that you couldn't consistently beat one of the greatest ever." Because neither can Harumafuji and he got the upgrade.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 26, 2013

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

a false posted:

kisenosato has been quite good in a very good era but i'll be a little ticked if he gets a yokozuna promotion without winning consecutive yusho regardless of his record otherwise. if he wins one and loses the next one to a yokozuna in a playoff, though, that might be ok.

In that scenario, I think I'd be much happier with it happening in the opposite order. Almost win in playoff with a yokozuna then tournament win? That sounds much better to me than getting a promotion on the back of a loss.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Goddamnit. Why can't they just be consistent with these things? This moving target bullshit is infuriating. The least they could say would be that Kise's only loss be against Hakuho (since he's clearly a top 3 of all time wrestler). That would at least show they understand the extreme challenge in existing in a time when someone of Hakuho's caliber is also competing. But even then I'm not sure I'd be ok with it.

At this point, I feel really bad for Kise. He's already got immense pressure on himself simply because of his rank (not to mention his Japaneseness) and these fucks are only making it worse by constantly telling the public different things he has to do to be promoted which just makes him look weak and not up to the challenge. This moving goalpost poo poo will only bring doubt upon his qualifications as a yokozuna should he get promoted. Unless he just starts destroying everyone, that is, which I don't see happening.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Font day! :D

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Oh god Endou, how the gently caress did you lose that?!?!

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

That one dude in the white shirt just can't get himself an autograph, can he?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

WindyMan posted:

Ha, I just saw that as I was coming to the thread. Sure seems to want to touch the rikishi, though.

Watching the handlers swat his hand away far too long after the fact (and running quickly to get to him in the first place) is pretty funny to me. Dude just wants some sumo grease. That too much to ask?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Holy loving poo poo I love sumo.

Funkysauce posted:

I did the same thing, in my office. Got a few looks and people asking me what happened.

Hahaha, I just did the very same thing.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Funkysauce posted:

:supaburn:

If this wasn't your reaction to today, you suck.

Seriously. I just got home from a road trip and was yelling at my monitor for both of the last two matches and then had to explain to my girlfriend why I woke her up.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

All I know for sure is this is one of the best basho I've seen in some time. There were quality matches every day and not just at the top, either. The story lines being played out were very compelling and dramatic.

As for the other thing, I'm also down for the two yusho standard. I like consistency and that's been their threshold and they should stick to it. That being said, I do wonder if the SA has just decided that they are temporarily going to set that standard aside to account for Hakuho being around right now. He's clearly an all-time great (possibly greatest) and they may be thinking that in order to keep the hopes of the lower ranks alive we'll show that promotion is still possible under the reign of Hakuho instead of stick to the old ways and potentially let a lot of elite wrestlers potentially get left at Ozeki simply because Hakuho is just that drat good. This also prevents wrestlers from becoming complacent which leads to bad sumo.

However, I think that the 2 yusho standard should still apply because in my eyes you can only ever really be judged by the competition you have to face in your own era in terms of being deserving of title and rank. If you can't yusho twice against a field including Hakuho, then you aren't a loving yokozuna in my mind and that's that. Bad luck to you that you happened to compete in the same time as he. If you just happen to keep competing longer than he does and then you gain promotion, then I think you would be fairly judged as someone that benefited from his retirement. I don't know of any time in the past where this same thing has occurred, but I don't pretend to be a sumo history expert.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Omnikin posted:

I just hope that his performance picks up

That's really my main concern as well. If he's just on a short burst of good form and soon returns to his old ways of 9 or 10 wins, that's not going to fly as a yokozuna and he'll be forced into retirement. I'd rather he not get promoted and then get another yusho or 13-win performance to show that it isn't a flash in the pan.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Diplomat posted:

Who is the rikishi to the right of Kakuryu during his performance? Ikioi is the one of the left I believe.

Kagamio and Ikioi accompanied him, I believe.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

Hakuho got the flu right after the last competition, and has lost 5 kilograms of weight from the last weigh in.

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of weight. Is he better now? It would be very interesting to see the first basho after a yokozuna promotion lacking in the top wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 5 shows up as private for me. Here's the proper one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvl12314jg