Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Fryhtaning posted:

Story of my life. I stayed up for it once and it was fun, but I'm too old for the all-nighter poo poo now.

I don't know what the ref is yelling, but supposedly he's encouraging them on. Like a "go go go!" or a "do it! do it! do it!" kind of thing.

Don't quote me on this but I thought it was "nokoto" which is like "you're still in it" or something.

Question asked above my post. Doh.

Wikipedia's answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikona

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Yeah, those youtube channels were really great. I was always interested when I was able to watch sumo. When I was in Japan I missed it by a few weeks in November and this year again I'm gonna miss it by a week or two. It must be a great thing to see, the tradition involved makes it really cool. There has been almost zero compromise in the rules, that's awesome.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I think the dude on YouTube Araibira is uploading them now. It said 1 minute ago and the oldest from day 2 was 57 mins.

http://www.youtube.com/user/araibira

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I was always interested in Sumo, I never thought I would be getting so drawn in and cheering. Awesome! Thanks again Something Awful for giving me yet another thing to get into!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Dammit! Baruto losing that one was tough.

Either way it's an exciting Basho and I can't wait for tomorrow. Maybe some upsets?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wrj3kW7MsI&feature=g-all-u

Ariaiba is no longer doing sumo videos. That sucks because he did ALL the matches. I liked his page, shame.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I know this sounds terrible but I root against the Yokozuna just to see the zabuton flying. It's awesome!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

seorin posted:

Also, should I keep doing the commentary like I have been, or is it too wordy? I hope I'm not just filling up the page with stuff nobody cares about.

I know this was a page back but please keep it up! It helps me get more from the matches!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Does Aran risk demotion? I mean he shitted it up in the last basho as well if I remember correctly. Again, I love seeing the zabuton fly so I don't mind seeing Hakuho lose.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

Well geez, I hope this gets going again once the tournament starts. Anyway, the banzuke was posted on the 25th. Here's a link to both makuuchi and juryo.

http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/eng/hon_basho/banzuke/index.html

Obviously Kotooshu and his injury is something to pay attention to. I'm also a fan of Aminishiki's so I wonder how he'll do this tournament. Lastly, let's see if Koykutenho can keep it up.

Any thoughts?

This thread pops up with the Basho, don't worry I think there's enough interest to keep it around!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Yay! Sumo is back!

Nothing out of control Day 1 it seemed, but you vets of the sport would have a better idea.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
No video yet? Ruining my morning commute!

I'm looking forward to seeing some zabuton flying dammit!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I don't know what "good" or "bad" sumo is either but I was drat well entertained today!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Pvt. Public posted:

Oh there's no way I'd be dumb enough to imply to any of their faces that they do it and it is wrong. It'll be more of a "Why do you think this is tolerated?" sort of conversation. I've tread these waters before, I'm sure I'll manage to keep myself in one piece.

Tell them you think you can beat any one of them if you use henka and they don't. Have someone film this.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

uinfuirudo posted:

drat Harumafuji has a pretty thick accent, I can only make out about 70% of his words.

A bit off topic but how long it take for you to get the language down?

Also, I thought that was a great final match. I'm really gonna pull for Harumafuji in September.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
To all the Japanese speakers in the thread, where did you learn the language? I've been self teaching on and off for years now but I don't think that it works for me. I know a bunch of words and the kana memorized, but can't seem to find fluency or a good way to practice. Sorry for the derail.

Anyway I'm going to be in Tokyo in October (no basho booo) but plan on swinging by the museum and trying to get a stable visit. Any thoughts?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

I did a visit during a morning practice when I was in high school on a school trip to Japan. It's really what kind of opened my eyes to what sumo really is instead of the usual American perspective of it. I cannot for the life of me remember which heya it was. I don't even really remember our teacher telling us much about it outside of "We're going to a sumo practice! NO TALKING."

What other etiquette needs to be observed? No talking, stay out of the way, etc? Do I get up and leave when we've had enough, do they tell me to gently caress off? I'm trying to google this but I can't find anything well written.

Not long after posting this, I came across: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/ss20010415a1.html

Most stables allow visitors to watch the early-morning training sessions free of charge, with only the general proviso that you keep the noise down. While training times vary from stable to stable, most are in full flow by about 8 a.m., when the top wrestlers start to stir into action.

Some stables have conditions: Visitors are requested to call in advance of their visit (there are days when wrestlers are not in town due to tournaments, and others when they are resting); not descend on a stable in a large group (some stables are not large); and either speak Japanese or take along someone who does.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Just Winging It posted:

Aki basho day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3PGnmt3GKs.

Some comments: Looking at the slow-mo of Kaisei v Baruto it seems to me that Kaisei touched down before Baruto. He still got the win so I'm not sure what the judges were looking at. Either that or they felt that Baruto was shinitai.

I don't know what they were looking at either! Oh well I'm just glad sumo is back!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Way better stuff today! Again I don't know why there was a monoii and they STILL couldn't make the right call, but either way it was more exciting sumo today.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Day Three!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJKdZ-PcWnw

Takanoyama never looked like he was gonna get it under control after he slipped, shame.

Chiyotairyuu seemed to do the same thing as the sumo listed above, slippery dohyo?

Ha, Just Winging It, same observations!

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 11, 2012

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Mornacale posted:

I mean the opposite of how Funkysauce did it, so you can see who was in the match and then go read the hidden comments after you watch the result.

Yeah after I read this I was like, "I'm braindead." Sorry! Will follow the new method!

Baruto, that didn't seem to be a shock as he was limping after his first match, hopefully he recovers.

Harumafuji looks like a world beater, hope he can keep it up.

Takanoyama super exciting first match! Too bad it ended up the wrong way for him.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 12, 2012

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Houmashou v. Yoshikaze Jesus Christ! Was that thud in the beginning of the match their heads clashing?

Hakuhou v. Tochiozan Hakuhou looked like he'd rather be anywhere else but there. Tochiozan didn't look like he was really good just beat an opponent who looked like he was half assing it. Zabuton! Weeeee!

Harumafuji looks like he's going to do it. I mean he seems so in control and looks like there's no pressure on him. Still have 5 days to go with Hakuhou in there somewhere. Although he looked like poo poo today it doesn't mean he won't bounce back.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 18, 2012

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Here we go! Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JGZt0QQ-ho

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Absolutely amazing final match, I'm well loving pleased they left the pre-match in there; really added to the excitement. Can't wait to see how Harumafuji does in November. I also like how it was pointed out that Hakuho threw that elbow again. Is there any risk of him being called out on that?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I don't know about everyone but TVJapan has been doing a free preview. It's running 11/1-11/15.

They are showing the next basho but since the preview cuts out at the 15th we won't be able to see the whole thing. On FIOS in NYC it's channel 1770.

http://www.tvjapan.net/subcategory/sports.html

Should be cool, I'll be DVR'ing the basho until the preview is over.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

Hilarious... I was on my way here to say that uVerse will let you try a month of any Int'l channels for free, so I just signed up and set it to DVR everything. Hopefully it sucks, because I don't hate money enough to throw away $25/mo when realistically I'd only have time to watch the highlights.

I probably could commit myself to removing and adding that channel every other month, if it turns out to be great, so it'd average $12.50 a month. Less than I pay for soccer or baseball.

Edit: 3680 on uVerse. Curious what it costs with other providers.

24.99/mo on FIOS as well, too much. I have RAI for 12/month.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Just Winging It posted:

November 2012, day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qBFjF4ePro.

Hakuho v Aminishiki, maybe it's just me but Aminishiki's tachiai was a bit odd, stopping so abruptly. Didn't do him much good anyway.

With the quoted match, I think he stopped to prevent Hakuho from using that cheap elbow/forearm shiver he's been cold-cocking people with. Seemed to have worked but then he didn't capitalize.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Day 2 thoughts:

Baruto vs. Shouhouzan that looked serious and I think Baruto will pull out and drop down in rank. He twisted that knee pretty bad there.

Hakuhou vs. Tochiouzan Hakuho nails him with an elbow to the face, this is his new MO so why not try delaying contact and moving to the side?

Harumafuji vs. Okinoumi Well it had to end some time, Harumafuji looked a little too slow during the match and couldn't get a good grip. Okinoumi did well to stay up long enough and get a big win.

This is shaping up to be a good 'un. It's still early however.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
While between the days, I'll share a very short story about my brush with sumo in my recent trip to Japan.

On the way to get breakfast my wife and I were walking and I saw a mage above the other people. I was focused like "Watch it be a sumo or something." Three seconds later, it turns out it was a sumo on a bicycle. It was about 9:30AM so I guess they had finished AM training. It was really cool he was wearing a blue patterned yukata and had his hair all done up. Didn't look familiar, very young maybe 20 the most. Almost got hit because we were trying to avoid other bikes. Why the hell are they allowed to sidewalk-ride there?

I couldn't visit any beya because I didn't speak enough Japanese and we couldn't wake up in time. Oh well, it' something else to back for! :)

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Baruto v Goeido, Baruto's injury concerns seem to be piling up. Maybe he should sit out the January basho and really heal. If he is back in healthy form he can easily win a tourney or two.

Harumafuji v Tochiozan, That's the way a yokozuna does it! Bounces right back, let's see if there's consistancy here.

Hakuho v Okinoumi, Didn't see the Hakuho elbow there but he did really well. I like that belly slap even if it didn't really do anything. Maybe a feint? Either way you slice it, he's yokozuna for a reason.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Not basho related but every time a tourney rolls around I can' help but listen to this at least once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-C4UL4BGFk

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Wakanosato v Chiyotairyuu Chiyotairyuu looks like he overcommited there and Wakanosato did well to turn that against him, smart play.

Asahishou v Joukouryuu I think that's it for Joukouryuu, he doesn't seem to find a feel for the match and looks a bit off the pace.

Yoshikaze v Toyonoshima Now that's a great match. High paced exciting to watch.

Aoyama v Tokitenkuu Looks like whiffed kick, what a lame match, Aoyama deserved better than that.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's a foot sweep and it owned.

e: seriously what's with people complaining about the most awesome move of the tournament so far?

I have no problem with the kick, I never did. I love it, it just looked like he whiffed it and there was a slip is all. I don't think there was contact that directly caused the end of the match. I'll go back and watch it again.

Edit: After watching it 5 more times, I think he most definitely whiffed it.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 16, 2012

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Aoiyama v Shotenro: Jesus Christ, I thought I was gonna see teeth on the dohyo!

seorin posted:

That was the most amazing henka I've ever seen. I don't know about you guys, but I thought it was hilarious.

I laughed but felt bad for laughing.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Just Winging It posted:

Goeido v Harumafuji, to make up for a tournament that has been free from weird shinpan stuff, this sure as hell makes up for that. Sadly, Goeido looked far worse in the redo.

Hakuho v Myogiryu, as if to prove a point Hakuho threw Myogiryu at the shinpan that started all the confusion in the previous bout and jumped in after him as if it's some silly pro-wrestling event.

Hakuho didn't do that deliberately. No way. Do you think so? I'm questioning my own conviction here!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

a false posted:

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=128XK_JUjys

After Kotoshogiku beat Harumafuji, I was hoping for Kotooshu to beat Hakuho, even though I'm not the biggest Kotooshu fan, just to make sure there's some drama over the next 4 days... and lo and behold, it actually happened. I definitely didn't expect that.

Also, who could have predicted Chiyotairyuu being tied for second at this late stage? I know he's had somewhat easy competition, but 9-2 is good no matter what - even if he somehow loses his next 4, he's definitely establishing himself

It looked like Hakuho was out of gas. He's been spot on and fired up every match, is the fatigue catching up to him? Anyway you slice it, it's a great basho so far. Good one to wrap up the year!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
This really has been a great basho! Also, Masunoyama is a beast for rejecting surgery I just hope he doesn't keel over one day!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I can't believe Harumafuji just tanked it like that. I almost feel like he won't get it back into gear though I do hope so.

I'm hoping Baruto can get back up to Ozeki but if he keeps damaging his knees that would seem unlikely especially with two Yokozuna as stated.

Also you can mark me down as a Masunoyama fan especially after hearing about his condition. It looked like his arm was not working and he was going to collapse but he really explodes from the tachi-ai and gives it a good show.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I hope for a Baruto comeback but leg injuries can be tricky and long lasting. If he does well this basho and stays healthy I'll see it as a big step in the right direction. I hope Harumafuji turns it around as well. I am also now on the Masunoyama bandwagon! hosed up heart? Nope eat poo poo, too much time off and I slide down, I'LL RISK DYING TO STAY UP HERE!

a false posted:

i think you mean Masunoyama.

You are right and I'm a fool. Thank you for correcting.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Day 2 comments:

Oh man what a snoozer! Looked like no one really tried aside from 2 matches.