Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
IL-2 is still the all around best WWII flight simulator available. Despite being over a decade old it still offers the best all around simulation of fighting on all fronts of WWII as well as the conflicts between Finland and Soviet Russia.

The 4.11 patch adds a ton of new features including AI that are worse pilots but better shots. Vision limitations on AI so they can't see through clouds and their line of sight is blocked by their cockpit, wings etc. Better bomb fusing (with the option to turn it off all together and go old school) and most importantly, 6DOF support for TrackIR users.

Shamelessly stolen from the old thread:

What is Il-2 Sturmovik?

Il-2 Sturmovik series is the award-winning family of flight simulation that started in 2001 with the release of the original Il-2 Sturmovik. Three major releases and innumerable add-ons later, it is the most realistic, most complex WWII flight simulation in the world, with, as of this moment, 229 flyable and over 300 total aircraft. But don't let the numbers fool you; all of them are modeled with incredible precision and attention to detail, and no other sim to this day is anywhere close to us in terms of accuracy in both the visuals and the flight performance.

What is Il-2 Sturmovik: 1946?

It's a compilation of all previously released Il-2 Sturmovik content (Il-2 Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack, and Pacific Fighters), plus new content separated into three large chunks: Pe-2 Peshka, focusing on the most famous Russian medium / dive bomber of the war; Sturmoviks over Manchuria, focusing on the Soviet Far East and the Japanese defense of Okinawa, Iwo Jima and the home islands; and 1946, a what-if add-on focusing on experimental Soviet and German jet and rocket fighters.

What about IL-2: Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover? Why aren't you playing the sequel instead?

Cliffs of Dover is incredible, visually. Everything else about the game, to be honest, is a disaster. The game is full of glaring technical issues preventing a lot of people from playing. Even after getting past these technical issues, the gameplay issues such as target visibility issues, a lack of a dynamic campaign, a very limited selection of planes and a UI that is somehow worse than IL-2 1196 have kept a lot of people from bothering to play it even if it runs well on their PC.

What about multiplayer?

In addition to stellar single-player, we have the extremely popular multiplayer modes:

Dogfight mode, which is just a general free-for-all, on servers with up to 128 people.

Co-op mode, where people fly more organized missions, usually against AI. There's no respawning which leads to more realistic fighting.

Moving Dogfight Server (MDS). This blends the two. MDS missions generally are one side VS AI but can have players on both. There's also AI aircraft, moving ships and vehicle columns to blow up. You get to respawn and select from a variety of different aircraft, just like dogfight servers.

For general online play, the most popular game matching service for Il-2 is Hyperlobby which can be found at https://www.hyperfighter.sk

There's also a great third party utility called Lowengrin's Dynamic Campaign Generator. It's a little finicky and still gives you the occasional boring, unbalanced or just plain strange mission with a flight path that makes no sense but overall it's the best at quickly running a more flushed out campaign. It works for both single player and all multiplayer modes. When we host multiplayer campaigns we use this more often than not.

Where can I get it?

Steam has it for $9.99
Gog also has it for $9.99. You can get it here.

I recommend getting it from GoG, if only because you'll get a completely unrestricted game which makes dealing with mods and the inevitable reinstall when things go wrong.

How do I get my game updated to play with everyone else?

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 is now completely up to date with all Team Daidalos patches on both Steam and GOG

We usually don't play with mods but there are a lot out there, including the 2 most popular mod compilations; UltraPak and HSFX. If you do want to install them we reccomend that you back up a clean installation of your game in case something goes wrong.

Come play

If you want to play with goons you'll need to hop on the IRC channel. If you don't have an IRC client there is a web client that you can use here.

IRC Channel: #il2gs on irc.synirc.net
You can also find us in the flight sim channel: #flightsim

Steam Group
There's now a Steam group for IL-2 goons.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/il2goons

Mumble
We use the general SA Flightsim mumble for voice communications in game. Get Mumble here.
AirGoons.mumble.cc port 31148

Don't think you need to be good at this game to play with us. We're all really terrible at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ4-6YwGN6Q&

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
HOW TO PLAY / WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

What do I need to play this game?

You need a joystick. I know of a few people who play with keyboard and mouse :wtf: or an XBox controller but they generally have issues.

The most highly reccomended stick for beginners is the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. It has all the buttons and axis you'll need to get going. If you don't get that stick specifically, at least get a stick that has a twist axis or other axis for rudder control. You'll need it, trust us.

If you find that you really like flight sims, the next step isn't a better stick, it's TrackIR. This will allow you to control where you're looking with your head instead of your mouse or hat switch. Being able to watch where you're going and where your targets are is the most important thing in the game and this makes it a lot easier. Keep in mind that it's an expensive piece of kit so make sure you like sims enough to bother investing in it.

There are 2 cheaper alternatives, FreeTrack and FaceTrackNoIR that some people have had various levels of success.

After that, the sky is the limit when it comes to flight sim hardware. You can even build yourself a replica cockpit of your favourite plane. If you do, please post pictures so we can laugh at you. Be sure to wear a scarf and aviator goggles in the pic.

What controls do I need to know to fly with goons?

We play with most realism settings turned on. Stalls, Spins, Engine Management, Realistic Fusing etc. We generally allow things like external views, padlock, map icons etc. For Complex Engine Management you need to manage these things and bind their controls:

Radiator - Keeps the hot side hot and the cool side cool.

Prop Pitch - Sugggested control: Mouse wheel or A/Z

Higher % is like running your car in 1st gear. The prop blades are set at a very fine angle making the prop and engine spin like hell. Use this during take off and landing, turn fights and high angle climbs. Lowering the pitch % means the prop bites a lot more in to the air and spins slower which slows down the engine RPMs in turn. It's like shifting to higher gears in a car. Lower the pitch when you're diving (for more speed) or cruising. The lower prop (and engine) RPMs generate less heat and use less fuel. Take a look at the Aircraft Guide.pdf in the root folder. Each plane there has an entry and in there you should see a best cruise and combat RPM (and also where that gauge is). Use your pitch to try to stay on this target.

Fuel Mix - Suggested control: Shift A/Z

Most of the time we're flying low enough and short enough distances that 100% is fine so don't worry too much about it. Do set it to 120% for short takeoffs if possible, especially from carriers and then drop it back to 100% as soon as your gear and flaps are up. Mix is what controls how much gas goes to the engine. Higher % means more gas. The higher you go the less gas your plane needs because the air is thinner. Dropping it gives better performance and saves fuel. You generally don't need to mess with this unless you're climbing up past 10K'. Check the aircraft guide, some of the entries will include mixture settings for given altitudes.

Supercharger - Suggested Control: Alt A/Z

Compresses the air/fuel mix before it's sent to the cylinders. Some planes have multi stage compressors. At higher altitudes the air gets thinner so the supercharger needs to be shifted up a gear. The aircraft guide sometimes tells when you want what stage. In general, watch your Manifold Pressure gauge, when going full throttle won't give you full pressure, bump it up a stage. Warning - Running your supercharger at too high a stage will quickly explode your engine.

Engine Selection Stuff

We usually have single engine start on. I have mine set to Ctrl+Numpad 1-4 for toggling engine selection 1-4. Ctrl+Numpad 0 for unselect all Engines, Ctrl+Numpad 8 for select all, etc. The reason we leave this on is because if it's disabled you can't do stuff like shut off one engine, trigger the extinguisher for that engine or feather the prop on just one engine if you need to.

Why are most of my controls unbound? What do I need to set?

I'm really not sure why there aren't default controls for everything, but you'd probably end up changing most of them anyway. Some are only used in specific planes and some are rarely used at all. The best thing to do is just start playing. You'll figure out if you need to bind something. Edit: if you're playing single player, bind Time Skip to something. It will help if you get bored waiting for the action.

Aside from the Complex Engine Management stuff listed above, here are some other controls you might want to set right away:

Wingtip Smoke - THE MOST IMPORTANT CONTROL. We use this so it's easier to see each other. It's also pretty.

Tail Wheel Lock - This locks your tail wheel so you don't have to man handle the rudder on the start of your take off roll. Set this to something you can mash on and off quickly. I suggest H.

Chocks The little blocks they put under your wheels so you don't roll in to the guy in front of you when you inevitably fire up your engine with your throttle full open. When you spawn on a carrier they're also set automatically. I suggest Shift+B

Wing Folding - Most people don't set this control and then have to scramble when they decide to try taking off from a carrier and spawn with their wings folded. Set it to something like Alt+W so you won't accidentally mash it in flight and die a stupid, hilarious death.

I can't even get off the ground without crashing. What the hell?

The training videos are kind of neat, but they don't really help all that much. Most people learn better by doing. There's a great training campaign at http://www.mission4today.com called Straight From the Farm. You can download it here. It does a great job of teaching to you take off and land. You can also check out the book Stick and Rudder: an explanation of the Art of Flying if you like. This game is realistic enough that any book on flying will help. Pay special attention to the sections about landing and rudder control.

I can get in the air, but I can't hit anything. Why do I suck?

It just takes practice. Use the Quick Mission Builder to make a mission full of dummy planes. Pick something big and slow for your enemies and make sure their loadout is set to empty. At the bottom right where it says Defense, set that to None. Have fun shooting down the poor defenseless AI. Switch to smaller and faster planes as you get better. There's also a pretty good article about air to air gunnery here you should check out. Quick tip: Don't put your cross hairs on the target (unless you're directly behind them and they are flying perfectly straight). Put your cross hairs in front of the target, pull the trigger, and let them fly through your stream of bullets.

I'm now able to get my plane off the ground and maybe hit something. Now what?

There are a lot more tutorials online. Youtube is a great resource. Wikipedia is also very handy because of all of the armchair aces entering tons of details about planes, weapon systems, etc. If you don't know something like what bomb does what, look it up. Dart's tutorials can be found here and are excellent: http://www.youtube.com/user/SDTtraining/videos and http://www.darts-page.com/. Here's an excellent video by some English chap about how to use the Norden bomb sight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BY3i7BlCPo

CUSTOM MISSIONS

Some missions we run fairly often are here. Download these if you want to host. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55475/IL_2_Goon_Missions_Jan25.zip

TROUBLESHOOTING AND SUPPORT

I can't connect to network games.

IL-2 seems to hate computers with multiple network connections, including virtual connections for virtual machines. Disable all other network connections.

How do I get wide screen resolutions?

It should now be accessible in the GUI, if not, see below:

Inside your IL-2 directory is a configuration file called conf.ini Open it up and look for the part that says [window]. It should be near the top. Change the width and height to whatever you want and then change SaveAspect=1 to SaveAspect=0. The menu resolution doesn't change, but your in game resolution will. You can also download Il2 Stab 6.3 which will let you edit some of your graphics options without having to dig through your .ini files.

I can't see the mission briefings when I play online, save my quick mission settings and see other players awesome/horrible custom skins.

The Steam version doesn't seem to create the folders needed for this, probably because they're empty when you first install the game. Create these 3 folders by hand:

<IL2 ROOT FOLDER>\Missions\Net\cache (for online briefings)
<IL2 ROOT FOLDER>\PaintSchemes\NetCache (for skins and stuff)
<IL2 ROOT FOLDER>\Quicks (for saving quick missions)

Nobody can hear me on Mumble. My mic keeps on getting muted.

Go in to your sound settings, click Radio and turn off Voice Communication (switch in the DOWN position). IL-2 apparently has a VOIP client but I don't know how it works and I don't think anyone else does. Turn this off and forget it.

The AI won't shut up, I can't hear anything!

When creating/generating missions we either forget or can't be arsed to take away the AI's radios. Turn down AI voice volume by going in to the general sound options and turning Voice Volume down.

I have a split throttle but it messes up 4 engine planes!

In conf.ini find the entry UseSmartAxis=0 in the [RTS] section, change the 0 to a 1.

I want to use Ctrl + C/X/V in the Full Mission Builder!

Add the following lines to the very top of your conf.ini

Ctrl C=mis_copy
Ctrl X=mis_cut
Ctrl V=mis_paste

HOW TO USE LOWENGRIN'S DCG

Lowengrin's DCG is the best all around dynamic campaign generator. It's good for all forms of game play. Get it here

First don't bother with replacing the DGEN/NGEN/Whatever, that's just asking for something to break. Use Manual generation instead. After each mission just alt tab to DCG, tweak things a bit if you want to change something and click 'generate mission' again. Once you generate a mission you'll have to back out of the DCG folder and back in to see the mission with the updated date.

For Traditional Co-Ops

Set the mode to On-Line Co-Op.

Now, when selecting the campaign you have to get a feel of what maps produce the best missions. If you don't want to have to fly over open water in a straight line for 3 hours to see action you might not want to pick the Coral Sea or Solomons Map for instance, they're huge. I recommend smaller maps. The problem is the name of the campaigns you can generate don't correspond 100% to the name of the map in FMB so you'll have to play around. One day I'll ask for a list or make it myself.

Campaign Settings

I usually leave most of these at the defaults but you can tweak them to your liking. If you want an easier time of things you can adjust the overall ability of allied/axis AI.

The one important thing in Campaign Settings is the Action Radius. This is essentially how far you're willing to fly to get to the action. Goons are notorious for whining like babies if they have to spend more than 10 minutes without shooting at something so set this low. Be aware that as the campaign progresses you'll have to set this higher or you'll end up with either the same mission over and over again or something dumb like that. One way to combat this is to make sure you DO NOT have 'No Transfers' selected in the drop down menu. When you're given a transfer mission either sit down, shut up and experience the joy of flight or better yet just look on the map and see where you can take an impromptu detour to blow the crap out of something not too out of the way. If you leave 'No Transfers' on you'll end up with either hour long flights as your line advances, or flights that end when a tank shoots you in the face at mission start as you lose your airbase.

The other thing you might want to change is the Plane Supply Rate to compensate for your terrible pilots, otherwise after a half a dozen missions or so your squadron will be flying with one decent plane surrounded by a bunch of lawnmowers with wings.

Aircraft Class Settings

I've never changed a single thing on this page but this is where you'll do things like change default load outs for AI flights, what they do, how high they fly etc. If you want to make the TB-3 a dog fighter so you can fly CAP in a 4 engined open pit bomber this is where you do it. Good times.

Squadron Editor

This is where I do the most of my tweaking. The first squadron in the list is generally considered the 'player' squadron; it takes off from the runway first and gets assigned the most interesting stuff to do. Change the plane for this squadron for whatever you want to fly. You may also want to change their airfield to one closer to the front.

Go through each squadron and make sure they're flying the kinds of planes you want them to. Because the AI is essentially perfect at flying but completely moronic when it comes to fighting as a unit you want your allies in planes that can at least go toe to toe with their opponents in a one-on-one turning fight because that's all the AI seems to do. The most frustrating thing to do in IL2 is try to rely on a squadron of F4Fs when they insist on getting in to a turn fight with Zeros and don't cover each other.

If you're flying in the late war get rid of any stupid German fighter jets. Their speed advantage coupled with the fact that the AI can do no wrong when it comes to trim and engine settings means you'll just hate every minute of trying to fight them.

Other than that, you will probably want to adjust the AI skill level as they're a lot better shots now. You may also want to to fine tune things and turn off Radio for AI flights so you won't hear them yap.

Ground War, Column and Settings Panels

I don't know how this works. Maybe once I do the DCG stuff I host will be even more fun.

Custom Mission Panel

This is where you go to select the kind of mission you want to fly. This won't work 100% of the time, if the campaign doesn't have any tank columns to attack for instance, you'll get assigned a different mission.

Now, if your group complains about weather this is where you change it. Select what you want for best and worst weather and then click save.

For Moving Dogfight

IMPORTANT: Between missions, as soon as you leave the Dogfight Server Settings panel there's no buttton to get it back. Make your changes and then toggle the game mode to Coop and back to Dogfight to see the panel.

This is a nice feature as it basically gives you co-op missions with AI targets. It's very hit and miss but it's worth it to essentially run a campaign where people can drop in and out of the mission at any time. Lowengrin is getting better at this but it's free so don't complain. Sometimes the map generated will be terrible, have home bases off the map ETC. This is because from what I can tell the Dogfight/MDS mode basically makes a co-op mission and adds a few home bases in.

So, select Dogfight under mode and set Use MDS to Yes. I don't know what any of that other stuff does, I think it's mod related.

Now, edit everything like you would for a co-op mission, except the Squadron Editor. In Squadron Editor, if you want a plane to be only available to players, set it to Human Only. Any Pilot Type will put AI in that squadron, spawning at their selected airbase and AI only will make the plane unavailable to players but present in game. Keep in mind that AI planes spawn at mission start on the runway so you might want to set the AI only squadrons to a different field than the human only squadrons.

Once you're done, generate the mission and then either fly it and hope it doesn't suck or adjust it in the FMB.

Once you're done with a MDS mission, you can continue the campaign by having everyone disconnnect from the server, go back to the main menu (this is mandatory or it will mess up your campaign, click Generate Mission and then start the mission and have everyone log in again. The stats tracking isn't as robust as in Co-op but it's there.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 9, 2014

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
New thread :toot:

Anyway I was going ask, how hard would it be to toss bomb? I take it, it requires precise timing?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yay new thread. I need to reinstall this, back the old thread I tried to get in on the goons flying planes action, but then my computer crashed and life interfered.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SkySteak posted:

New thread :toot:

Anyway I was going ask, how hard would it be to toss bomb? I take it, it requires precise timing?

Very hard; toss bombing wasn't a common method until proper digital weapons computers came into being in the early-mid sixties. You're better off dive or skip bombing.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 21, 2012

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
New Thread!

New Blood!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Going to repost the big image dump I made in the last thread.

We started playing again, so get in and play.

Here's some pictures of the most recent games and why you should play:

See the sights!

Play as your favorite cartoon character!

See hi-fidelity ground textures up close!

Fly planes that will never fly again!

See how well you can shoot at a target!

Chase planes once you run out of ammo!

Fly as a community!

As you can tell from the pics, we sometimes use custom plane skins, pilot skins, and noseart for US planes. A lot of these are hacked together by me in paint.net (Photoshop 7 now) so if you have any requests, post them. Here are some examples.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/czSA2.jpg (no nudity) :nws:

Also, to repost something I wrote in the Goon IL-2 Steam page

Die for one of the following: Hitler's slave labor profits, Roosevelt's internment profits, Truman's Atoms profit, Mussolini's pasta profit,
Churchill's booze profits, Tojo's rice profits, Mannerhiem's salmiakki profits, Stalin's gulag profits, and occaisionally Kim Il Sung's kim-chee profits.

And for the much harder planes skins:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:woop: New thread!

Somebody with admin access to the steam group should probably change the links on the group page and/or make an event for TB-3 night to get everyone back in the game.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So, we're trying to get some of our old hats back as well as some new blood. What I need to know is what we're doing wrong and what we're doing right. Pipe up or PM me.

For a few weeks we ran an IL-2 night on Mondays. I'm thinking of changing the night if another night is better for everyone. The best nights for me are Mon-Thurs.

We're going to do this by Instant Runoff Voting so list what days are best from you in order of best to least.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Monday/Tuesday is my best time, as I am off during those days.

I am available in the mornings every other day, since I am just getting off work. Might be able to host some co-op missions or something for European/morning goons.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I played this a lot way back in the day, reinstalling now. I'm having trouble finding a working link to the 4.10 patch, the torrent link in the OP doesn't work.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
If you have the GoG version and have downloaded it recently it is already patched up to 4.10

Otherwise you can get 4.10 from here, though you'll need to make an account. If you enjoy IL-2 at all you should make an account there regardless, because it has a lot of user made missions and skins and other cool poo poo.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 22, 2012

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Forums Terrorist posted:

Very hard; toss bombing wasn't a common method until proper digital weapons computers came into being in the early-mid sixties. You're better off dive or skip bombing.

Ah fair enough. Still, skip bombing is a fantastic thing to do, even more so with the new PE-8:

I was looking behind me externally (thus why I'm climbing oddly) and I was a little too low but still, it's glorious. Even more so when you catch scrambling planes on the deck. Tangentially related:

Anyway, for any newbies, give the game a go. It's not a total nightmare like some flight sims (CLOD), I mean hell I sorta played it on a keyboard for a good while.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
I'm about to buy this. I played the hell out of Red Baron II and Combat Flight Simulator back in the day, and I think this game is what I need to get back into flight sims.

EDIT: I can't read good

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I can host Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and weekends in the afternoon/evening (Euro time), but several of my missions are out of date, if people could throw their favourites in the dropbox that'd be great.

e/ vv Make it a habit to lurk in irc and/or mumble whenever you're online, that way you're less likely to miss any impromptu flights that might get thrown up.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 22, 2012

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
Does 4.11 fix the 'all mission text in Russian' bug of the earlier patches? If not you might want to add the fix to the OP.

I will reinstall this and get back into the air with you guys. Any evening US time works for me. I just have to remember.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That bug was due to mods, including the 6DOF mod/sas modact etc. Now that we run with no mods everything is in English.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

4.11 makes my game crash on loading so thats fun.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Sylink posted:

Hmm. Was your game modded before you installed the 4.11 patch? You'll probably have to start fresh with a clean install. Otherwise, make sure you patched in order based on whatever stock version you have. Unfortunately the patches are incremental.

Those are the only ways I can think that might be causing your game to crash on load.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sylink posted:

Tried the hotfix patch at the bottom of this post?

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29039

I like how nothing says where this CTD occurs that it fixes.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 22, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yo Joven, this needs to go in the OP, stat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QXX69CFj_Q

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
I'm just waiting on my new joystick to get here, then I might see about flying with you dudes. I started playing this while I was taking care of my aunt's place last winter, and it was probably some of the most intense fun I ever had with a video game. And I was only using a crappy gamepad!

So how important is talking in Mumble, anyway? I already have it installed, but I can't stand trying to actually speak while playing at the same time, so I never have a mic plugged in.

Yes, I'm "that guy". Deal with it. :colbert:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I've been meaning to start playing this again. It's pretty crazy how much stuff has been added with these updates since I last messed with it.

I wonder if Cliffs of Dover will ever be hauled out of the depths of its current ignominy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sackmo posted:

So how important is talking in Mumble, anyway? I already have it installed, but I can't stand trying to actually speak while playing at the same time, so I never have a mic plugged in.

You don't have to talk, but it's good to be there listening in case we need you for anything. It also makes organising missions easier.

e/ DAAAIIIDAALOOOSS :argh:

I was having a problem recently where I couldn't make a moving dogfight server where any of the planes could carry bombs, or any loadout other than default (not even empty). I thought it was a bug, but it turns out that it was simply this: if you turn on aircraft limitations at a home base (a necessary option if you want limited respawns on certain planes), this also automatically turns on loadout limitations, which are by default set to only default (loving :lol:), even though the number of available aircraft is set by default to unlimited. So if you want limited aircraft but with the players choice of loadout, you have to go through each plane individually and add all the available weapons.

With all the loving around they've been doing in the FMB, fullmissionbuilder.com going down/out of date, and all this obtuse poo poo to deal with, I'm seriously considering writing a manual for the drat thing, if only so I don't have to re-discover all this crap every time I stop playing for a couple of months.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 23, 2012

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
IL-2 Missions will be hosted tonight, starting at 8PM EST. Show up early to get some practice in. :getin:

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I just reinstalled this after over a year since I last played, and even then I sucked and knew basically no idea what I was doing... But I still had a blast playing with the guys in #il2gs. This coming weekend, if there are any games up, I'll be in to bug you about what I'm doing wrong.

And I can't wait.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Sackmo posted:

Yeah, that's fine. We're a pretty relaxed group, just make sure you're at least in Mumble and can hear everybody else whenever you get around to playing with us. That way if we start screaming that someone is on your tail you'll know.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sackmo posted:

95% of the discussion during IL-2 missions is about other flight sims, so you're not missing out on much. Nothing like trying to focus on dropping that bomb on target while someone else is droning on about their 13 hour flight to Paris in FSX. It helps when you need directions to the fight, or if you need to tell someone that you found the enemy location. Other than that, you can just listen and occasionally type a response in the game chat if you want.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'll use a mic so I can ask where exactly my mixture should be every 5 seconds.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Bondematt posted:

Tried the hotfix patch at the bottom of this post?

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29039

I like how nothing says where this CTD occurs that it fixes.

Nope didnt work. Piece of poo poo.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Oh, I haven't played this game in forever. I managed to dig up my old Saitek Av8r and I'm installing now. May I have an invite to the Steam group?

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197995772291

disbest
Jun 16, 2005

Pillbug
So my first real time playing this game with goons tells me I am far worse at this than I thought I was. This is still so incredible though because of the Moving Dogfight Server. If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about I've got a record of the first MDS: http://www.mediafire.com/?ks5cl9qzl66aco2 I don't have our second game though because I accidentally corrupted it by crashing the game while it was still recording.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
After 5 tries I managed to install and have it working with the latest patch. The DVD version is bad for this I imagine, having to install 6 different patches some barely available on the internet.

I probably haven't played in a few years but it's mostly like I remember and my Microsoft Sidewinder works great.

I'll be looking to shoot planes with goons in the future!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Wooper posted:

After 5 tries I managed to install and have it working with the latest patch. The DVD version is bad for this I imagine, having to install 6 different patches some barely available on the internet.

I probably haven't played in a few years but it's mostly like I remember and my Microsoft Sidewinder works great.

I reinstalled about 4 times before I noticed that the DVD was one patch short of the OP. Once I got that installed it worked like a champ. . . until I tried to play online. Then I narrowed it down to my freetrack. It works in single player, but if I try and play with freetrack in multiplayer, it will freeze my computer and I have to hold down the power button to restart.

This game is so fun to play, but gently caress is it a piece of poo poo to get up and running.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
Oh goodness, a new IL2 thread for goons?

I just might install this sometime this week and play with you guys. I haven't had a good IL2 firefight in forever, and I've always wanted to learn how to do cool poo poo like mess with my prop pitches, fuel mixtures, etc so I don't suck total balls in dog fights.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Wooper posted:

I use to host a torrent that had all the patches up to 4.10 or something like that, but that was on my old computer and I am pretty sure I forgot to carry it over. I'll see what I can do, though. I know some people got some use out of it.

Also: The turn out was awesome last night and the MDS maps were fun, as they always are. It's good to see old and new showing up.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 24, 2012

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Oh hey, flying games.

I would be up for rejoining you all again for flying gaems.

However, instead of doing crazy work arounds for being cheap I am now using a X-box 360 controller... Buuut all is not well. I find my plane bouncing a lot back and forth and it being rather hard to 'center', simply because I touch one way and then the plane will slooowly start rolling sideways... More and more until I gently flick it the other way again. Don't have a issue with up and down, just side to side.

I play other flightsims just fine - Falcon BMS, FSX, so on. This is the only time this issue's come up.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 24, 2012

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Fresh meat reporting for duty! :patriot:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198032083247/

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Last night was great, we had around 8 or 9 people online at one point, tearing poo poo up.

I'm going to work on more MDS missions. Those seem to be the sweet spot for us. Once more of the new guys get a handle on things we'll start doing actual co-op missions.

Be warned, in co-ops we usually restart the mission if you screw up and crash on take off but other than that it's a case of 'you die, you spend the next 20 minutes twiddling your thumbs'.

What I'm really hoping is that Lowengrin releases an updated DCG that has better MDS support. I'd love to see a co-op campaign that's run in dogfight mode where when you die you can only select the planes left on the ramp. This way if someone's 5 minutes late they can still grab whatever's left and catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Gamerofthegame posted:

Oh hey, flying games.

I would be up for rejoining you all again for flying gaems.

However, instead of doing crazy work arounds for being cheap I am now using a X-box 360 controller... Buuut all is not well. I find my plane bouncing a lot back and forth and it being rather hard to 'center', simply because I touch one way and then the plane will slooowly start rolling sideways... More and more until I gently flick it the other way again. Don't have a issue with up and down, just side to side.

I play other flightsims just fine - Falcon BMS, FSX, so on. This is the only time this issue's come up.

It sounds like you need a little deadzone in your x-axis. I get the same thing with some Xbox 360 controllers.

Like, you breathe on it, and it starts getting a really gentle leftward input or whatever, and you have to tweak it to make it center again. Unfortunately, the standard windows control panel for game controllers doesn't give you really any kind of adjustment for that controller. There are alternative drivers out there that people use, but I don't know if that would help.

Does the input menu in IL-2 give you anything useful to tweak?

• Locked thread