Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

It sounds like you need a little deadzone in your x-axis. I get the same thing with some Xbox 360 controllers.

Like, you breathe on it, and it starts getting a really gentle leftward input or whatever, and you have to tweak it to make it center again. Unfortunately, the standard windows control panel for game controllers doesn't give you really any kind of adjustment for that controller. There are alternative drivers out there that people use, but I don't know if that would help.

Does the input menu in IL-2 give you anything useful to tweak?

It does, try Hardware Setup -> Input from the main menu.

edit: Fruity bum bum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Bacarruda posted:

Fresh meat reporting for duty! :patriot:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198032083247/

Completely forgot I am an admin for the IL-2 Steam group.

Anyway, invite sent!

Also: This is the thread theme song

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 24, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
^^ owns.

EvilJoven posted:

Last night was great, we had around 8 or 9 people online at one point, tearing poo poo up.

I'm going to work on more MDS missions. Those seem to be the sweet spot for us. Once more of the new guys get a handle on things we'll start doing actual co-op missions.

Be warned, in co-ops we usually restart the mission if you screw up and crash on take off but other than that it's a case of 'you die, you spend the next 20 minutes twiddling your thumbs'.

What I'm really hoping is that Lowengrin releases an updated DCG that has better MDS support. I'd love to see a co-op campaign that's run in dogfight mode where when you die you can only select the planes left on the ramp. This way if someone's 5 minutes late they can still grab whatever's left and catch up.

MDS campaign would be super special awesome, and really shouldn't even be that hard of an adjustment to make, as if that'll have any bearing on whether it gets done. Here's hoping so.

I'm pretty bummed I couldn't make it last night, hopefully more people in general means more people with nothing to do between 2-7PM EST (living in britain sucks, not nearly enough eurogoons play this game with any regularity).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Do I have to do anything special to play multiplayer with you guys?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Farecoal posted:

Do I have to do anything special to play multiplayer with you guys?

Getting in the Mumble/irc channel is the most important thing, since host IPs are usually distributed in the former.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
Can I get an invite too?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slappymoose/

Looking forward to playing with you guys. You you ever do comedy missions? Like, 1-2 bigass bombers versus a shitload of terrible biplanes? Or any kind of asymmetric battles? Because those are awesome.

Fewes
Sep 20, 2011

Looking to crash and burn and perhaps learn a thing or two if anyone would like to send me an invite:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/fewes

Never did check out multiplayer before but it does seem interesting.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I have installed and successfully taken off for the first time. Time to die in even more horrible deaths.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198018245007

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Renaissance Robot posted:

Getting in the Mumble/irc channel is the most important thing, since host IPs are usually distributed in the former.

Alright, I'll try doing that. Here's my ID for an invite to your super special secret club NO GIRLZ ALLOWD: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999824702

So I downloaded your blasted voice Mumble thingy, how do I connect my computer box to the IL-2 computer box so I can hear all your whiny, bratty voices?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 24, 2012

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Farecoal posted:

Alright, I'll try doing that. Here's my ID for an invite to your super special secret club NO GIRLZ ALLOWD: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999824702

So I downloaded your blasted voice Mumble thingy, how do I connect my computer box to the IL-2 computer box so I can hear all your whiny, bratty voices?

Connect your Mumble to AirGoons.mumble.cc port 31148 and get to mumblin'

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Blowing poo poo up feels good.

I always hang around to watch the impact if I can. I rationalize it as "confirming the kill," but it's really just sadism.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

pixelbaron posted:

Connect your Mumble to AirGoons.mumble.cc port 31148 and get to mumblin'

Well I don't actually have a magic voice stick, but thanks. Can you type messages?

pixelbaron posted:

You can type messages in IL-2 but the system is horrible.

Even if you don't have a mic you should connect to Mumble when there is a game just so you can at least hear what's going on.

Cool, thanks for the help.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 24, 2012

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
You can type messages in IL-2 but the system is horrible.

Even if you don't have a mic you should connect to Mumble when there is a game just so you can at least hear what's going on.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
How proficient should I be before flying with goons? I really don't know much about flying machines but I can take off in a few of the planes (barring massive payloads). I only know what like 4 buttons do.

I don't want to be a drag on anyone having fun, but I also don't want to take so long getting decent and come back to empty servers and no one playing anymore

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

darkhand posted:

How proficient should I be before flying with goons? I really don't know much about flying machines but I can take off in a few of the planes (barring massive payloads). I only know what like 4 buttons do.

I don't want to be a drag on anyone having fun, but I also don't want to take so long getting decent and come back to empty servers and no one playing anymore

I sorta have the same problem. Also, how do you connect to the multiplayer server?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Read the OP. That's all you really need to know. We can walk you through the rest.

We're really not an elitist group of armchair aces. We mostly suck at this game and we don't care if you suck either! Hell, I'm making and encouraging others to try their hand at making more MDS missions, that way when you gently caress up and crash you don't have to wait out the rest of the mission.

EDIT: to connect to a server you get on IRC/Mumble, ask who's hosting and where to get the IP, click Multiplayer / Join Server, type in the IP (followed by :21000 if it doesn't connect without it) and click Join.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 25, 2012

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I've made multiple attempts to get into IL2 before that always fizle out, partly becuase I'm pretty bad at it and partly because I dont have anyone to fly with. Hoping that maybe flying with goons could fix that.

Am I welcome if I know basicaly nothing at all? I can take off in most things and land (sometimes) in most things but anything in between ussualy involes spining far too much.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Pharnakes posted:

Am I welcome if I know basicaly nothing at all? I can take off in most things and land (sometimes) in most things but anything in between ussualy involes spining far too much.

We always welcome new believers, my friend. Here, take this pamphlet about how awesome the TB-3 is!

In other words, yes.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

darkhand posted:

Unless the competency improved a fuckload in a few months (Spoiler; It didn't) if you can land your plane regularly then you are better then most of the people flying here.

Don't worry about it.

The reality is all you actually need to know is your four/five weapon keys, gear, flaps and your various control surfaces. And throttle. Don't know the complex engine management? It isn't to big of a deal. Can never hit anything? No one can for a month, you'll get better.

So long as you can take off and point yourself in a certain direction you'll fit right in.

-

It appears my controller woes was because the levels or whatever the gently caress were set to high. Sending it through Joyctrl set it into a much smoother, gentler curve, so one little movement doesn't send it flying to the side. Probably have to toy around with it some more, but it should be fine. If any of you are having similar issues, getting that simple program and toying with it might help.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

This picture is going in the OP.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'd be way down for flying again if you're not going at crazy late american time.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do you guys ever do any air races? I remember playing on some servers with air racing maps (additional pylons) back when I first got 1946.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Might give you some idea how hard it is to play this game well.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
A lot of people have been asking for control schemes, seeing as half the problem is setting up your buttons so that they're all mapped in a logical way.

Fortunately I'm a sperg and I made this years ago. My setting files from back when I flew with just an Extreme 3D Pro. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7y2d0n5bcpu9bqm

Now, one thing to keep in mind is that there are NO view controls mapped because I used to fly with my left hand on my mouse.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'd be way down for flying again if you're not going at crazy late american time.

This should become less of a problem once more good maps get made/found/distributed and we get more euros willing to host at sensible times. At the moment there's me and Frobbe that I know are good to host from 1700-0100 GMT, and a couple of amerigoons that tend to get on earlier like LP and Wonkotron, but the main issue is really maps. I'm working on a couple different things, and Pixelbaron's MDS that we tested last night is shaping up to be pretty great, but the mission builder is a pain in the rear end and it takes bloody ages to make anything substantial.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I remember a couple of years ago when we were playing campaigns and started doing Carrier tests for a Pacific campaign: it was quickly determined that any Goon who was actually able to get off the deck would be unable to land.

e: and yes, I would be willing to play again but only at sensible Euro times.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Another one to fly crash at euro times.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

As Robot should have mentioned (:argh:) I'm also up for flying at Eurotimes. Not at the moment however, my sleep schedule needs unfucking and I have to play F-16 flight instructor to an impatient Korean.

Which reminds me, owning to CloD pretty much killing most people's desire to fly for the better part of a year the core #il2gs group branched out into other flight sims. Some of them are free (Falcon 4 BMS, Rise of Flight (sorta)) and some aren't (Flaming Cliffs 2, DCS A-10 and Black Shark 2, Microsoft Flight Simulator if you're a giant wanker who had aspirations of being a bus driver when you grew up). Check out the main flight sim thread for more info. The long and short is sometimes no one will host because we're busy being terrible terrible people and playing other stuff

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah should be able to play at Euro times, although I am still waiting to snag an X-52 off ebay.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

EvilJoven posted:

A lot of people have been asking for control schemes, seeing as half the problem is setting up your buttons so that they're all mapped in a logical way.

Setting up controls sucks rear end, and I mean that as a universal statement across all sims. The current albatross around my neck is Thrustmaster's TARGET software. It can do some awesome things, but the interface was designed by aliens.

I've almost got IL-2 where I want it, so I'm not looking for help; I just wanted to vent.

:argh:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Blistex posted:

Might give you some idea how hard it is to play this game well.

Not pictured: DCS, as there's no monitor big enough to display the "Time Invested" line on that one.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm reinstalling this poo poo.

Also, once we get a bunch of newbees we need to do some more TB-3 shenans.

We can still do TB-3 shenans right?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I reckon we should upgrade to TB-7 shenanigans; it has more guns AND a 5 ton gently caress you button :haw:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I can attest to the patience and helpfulness that the experienced goons displayed. Last night I just got everything set up and didn't play long, but they had two of us new guys flying patterns and doing some brief target practice. Everyone was really nice and not spergy.

If any other new guys are reluctant to try flying online due to the difficultly of the game... gently caress it. Just try it. I'd recommend flying with these guys.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What kind of realism do you guys fly on?

Despite having a pilot's license, I loving suck and while I don't have a problem flying, I would have a huge problem managing mixtures and poo poo because I'm lazy and don't have TrackIR to be able to see the instruments easily.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

I reckon we should upgrade to TB-7 shenanigans; it has more guns AND a 5 ton gently caress you button :haw:

Yes, but does it have parasite fighters? Parasite jousting is the best thing ever.

Sylink posted:

What kind of realism do you guys fly on?

Despite having a pilot's license, I loving suck and while I don't have a problem flying, I would have a huge problem managing mixtures and poo poo because I'm lazy and don't have TrackIR to be able to see the instruments easily.

We usually fly with close to full realism, excepting tags for planes because they're so hard to see. That said, we usually fly at such low altitudes and short distances that you rarely need to mess with mix or supercharger. Most of our missions are below 10k feet.

Also, for those concerned about landing: landings are usually very optional and are often clusterfucks as goons try to land on the same runway from both directions, people landing on taxiways, and husks from failed landings (and takeoffs) cover the runway.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 25, 2012

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

That new guy training session last night was cool. I volunteer for flying as a target and as a basic combat maneuver instructor whenever needed. We should be able to get people up to speed pretty quickly.

Also, should we add a "Games IL2 Goons Also Play" section to the OP?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah, I still have a lot of tweaking to do regarding control settings. Someone lined up right in front of me, everything was steady..... 0.5km, 0.4km, 0.3km, open fire, tracers suggest I'm having a seizure in the cockpit. I think I need to up the deadzone or adjust the sensitivity.

Also, I need to learn the keyboard commands. I could fly reasonably well, but I had to keep checking the commands and I can't really view my gauges very well. Unfortunately I can't afford TrackIR. :smith:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah, I still have a lot of tweaking to do regarding control settings. Someone lined up right in front of me, everything was steady..... 0.5km, 0.4km, 0.3km, open fire, tracers suggest I'm having a seizure in the cockpit. I think I need to up the deadzone or adjust the sensitivity.

That could be your grip shaking, but it could also be from the plane shimmying around from recoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Someone had a great quote in the last thread about gunnery. Apparently most US pilots admitted to being bad at gunnery, but their skill was in getting enemy craft into lousy situations. I am godawful at gunnery and my main goal is to get the enemy plane to fly through a stream of bullets.

Your shots will definitely be all over the place, but if you can catch the enemy in a bad spot, it'll all work out.

• Locked thread