Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Listening again I agree, it's been too long since I played any DCS and I forgot what jet noise sounds like :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Hey I guess the next IL2 is upcoming, but I just reinstalled 1946 for the first time In years, are there any graphics and sound enhancement mods worth downloading? When I last played seriously oleo was still at the helm and mods were considered impossible, I understand all he'll has broken loose since than.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Ralith posted:

Battle of Stalingrad early access (incl. multiplayer) is now finally running seven days a week, and the Pe-2 has been added.

e: The Pe-2 is a two-engine dive bomber/heavy fighter with multiple gunner seats and a (currently unimplemented) level bomb sight.

Anyone want to dick around with this stuff on Sunday?

joystick still hasn't shipped and the x52 is out of commission. Sorry sir. Will advise as soon as I have the new stick.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Hey I guess the next IL2 is upcoming, but I just reinstalled 1946 for the first time In years, are there any graphics and sound enhancement mods worth downloading? When I last played seriously oleo was still at the helm and mods were considered impossible, I understand all he'll has broken loose since than.

I think the big ones are Ultra Pack or HSFX

They got a lil bit of everything.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Does this group do any DCS?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
We have in the past. It's been a while, though, and I think not everyone currently active has it. Generally we have a really hard time coming up with suitable missions, especially if everyone doesn't want to use the same kind of aircraft.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Battle of Stalingrad now includes the Yak-1 and the Bf-109 G-2. Anybody else got a copy yet?

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Have an amazing video of an awesome dog fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_armg3ENFGM

Not mine, but they're both really quality players and keep things really tight for a good 8 minutes

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Longtiem posted:

Have an amazing video of an awesome dog fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_armg3ENFGM

Not mine, but they're both really quality players and keep things really tight for a good 8 minutes

Perfect example of how, when choosing between a good turning craft and a strong climbing/higher speed craft, the latter wins every time. The LaGG got the advantage early on (109 pilot was too liberal with the stick, dragging his speed down), but the 109 pilot was able to disengage and climb to alt. Ending was pretty funny.

Ralith, still waiting on newegg to ship my drat stick. Looks like June now, lame.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

dayman posted:

Ralith, still waiting on newegg to ship my drat stick. Looks like June now, lame.

Got my X55 the other week, and it's such an amazing stick. For the money, the best stick you can buy, hands down. The Warthog edges it out a little, but costing twice as much you get a lot less value for your dollar.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Ralith posted:

Battle of Stalingrad now includes the Yak-1 and the Bf-109 G-2. Anybody else got a copy yet?
$95 is a bit much to drop on a videogame but I don't really feel like waiting 5 years to fly 109s in the RoF engine for half the price. :negative:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is the current price going to be the same as the release price? I had assumed up to now that it was simply a premium price to get early access to the game.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Got my X55 the other week, and it's such an amazing stick. For the money, the best stick you can buy, hands down. The Warthog edges it out a little, but costing twice as much you get a lot less value for your dollar.

where? i'm half a mind to cancel from newegg and order from saitek.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is the current price going to be the same as the release price? I had assumed up to now that it was simply a premium price to get early access to the game.

If it is like RoF, they will sell the planes grouped in various DLC packs.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Your assumption is correct, the game'll be about $50 on release. They seem to be making a point of keeping a schedule, too, so if you can't justify an extra $45 for the bonus content then I'd just wait. Though I'd love to have people to play with.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

dayman posted:

where? i'm half a mind to cancel from newegg and order from saitek.

I got mine direct from Saitek.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Battle of Stalingrad release date has been announced as September. Furthermore, they've brought back the 'Standard' preorder for $55, which comes with early access and is $5 cheaper than release. They've also added the La-5, which is Premium-only for now but will be made available for purchase with the Fw 190 A3 at "the end of June".

If you've been planning on getting BoS and you're not too worried about them somehow loving up what's already a decent game in the coming months, there's no reason to wait any longer now.

e: The 'Standard' preorder will go away again on June 18th

Ralith fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 8, 2014

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Thief posted:

If it is like RoF, they will sell the planes grouped in various DLC packs.

Only $400 for everything!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Shine posted:

Sucks, but if they weren't charging what they are, I doubt there would be any modern flight-sim games at all. It's actually kind of baffling that a new flight-sim is even coming out at all.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Shine posted:

It's a real shame Oleg Maddox isn't involved in BoS, I'm going to miss out on everything being free and having the original Russian boxed versions of it all.

Does anyone know what actually happened to him after Cliffs of Dover exploded, is it just 777 studios developing by themselves now? It's looking and sounding good so far, not sure if it'll be the labour of love the original IL-2 was.
That game has some serious legs.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think he's completely given up on game development. Last I heard he was high up in some firm doing architecture or urban planning visualizations or something.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Strumpie posted:

Does anyone know what actually happened to him after Cliffs of Dover exploded, is it just 777 studios developing by themselves now? It's looking and sounding good so far, not sure if it'll be the labour of love the original IL-2 was.
That game has some serious legs.
I don't know what exactly made the original IL-2 a labor of love, but so far BoS seems to be a worthy successor in every regard save number of planes.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

BoS is such a joy to fly. More people would be cool.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Just had some good times flying BoS on Expert with Burno and Vahakyla and co. Having to spot and IFF targets entirely by eyeball is a bitch, but goddamn victories are satisfying. You really have to stay alert, too, since if you don't the only warning you get that someone's behind you is when bullet holes start appearing in your plane. Guns seem to on the whole do more damage than in IL-2, too; a good solid machine gun burst will gently caress someone right up, to say nothing of cannon.

It seems like even on Expert (at least with the settings the official servers use) radiator, pitch, and so on are automatically controlled by default, so you can just hop in and go look for planes to shoot. Can't seem to get multicrew (i.e. manning tailguns) to work, but dogfighting's awesome.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
For the second night, we flew IL2 Battle of Stalingrad with a small band of goons. It is truly intense on a server with no HUD whatsoever.

Engagements happen close and low, with a lot of confusion. But getting an enemy plane feels insanely satisfying.
So far we have also burned engines, had our wingtips shear off after a tree hit but kept flying, had an aerial mating where a 109 rested on top of a Peshka, said "wow a wing passed me oh poo poo it was mine" and had my own propeller blade come in from my windshield. I think Skwee got hit by flying debris that shattered his windshield and gunsight.

For anyone on the fence, if you enjoyed IL2, RoF or Sim WT, this is most likely your game. Graphics are gorgeous, game is optimized and it is a fairly compact install at 2GB.

55 bucks is a steep price, but there is not a lot of options either on the market.
Hopefully it will be on Steam, too.

Currently there is an option for quick missions for SP and single Team Deatchmatch map with opposing airfields and respawns for Multiplayer.

The sun always, no joke, shines from the Russian side. I claim russian bias.

Anyway, come fly with us and be confused when you got pounced out of nowhere, while your wingmates hastily scramble to the directions of the wind, chasing a speck of dust on their monitor.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 10, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
So it's been a couple of months since our last IL-2 1946 game. Anyone up for giving it another go? Maybe this coming Sunday afternoon?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Someone other than Joven would have to host. Myself, I'm pretty caught up in BoS lately, now that there's people to fly with.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Flying IL2 Battle of Stalingrad right now, SIM people will most likely like it: http://www.twitch.tv/kalleerikvahakyla/

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I kept a small pause but I'm back.
We play COOP Arma 3 tonight with a smallish mod pack that you can use the goon launcher to launch, so you do not worry about download links nor setup.

We will be playing some of the old missions since I haven't worked on any new ones in a while and I want to make sure we get going as fast as possible.

WHAT: Arma 3 COOP missions, vanilla branch, NOT DEV
START TIME: Start time tonight is 1800 EST, 1500 PST.
WHERE: Camping The Stairs Mumble, there is the Arma 3 Channel just under "games".
MODS: About 655MB, Vähäkylä's Mod pack, see instructions
AUTISM LEVEL: Low, only minor vaccinations needed. Do what the leader tells you, whoever it will be.

In other words, we start little after two hours.
I will be hosting for about two hours which will be a mission or maybe two.
These will be small unit, 12 guys with one more as a leader.

Info for mod pack: https://github.com/wigumen/SlickUpdater/releases/tag/1.3.2
Download Slick Updater. Launch it from its folder and it will start up. The list of mods you see are the Reddit Arma3 community mods. We do not want them.
Go to "options" and from under "repository", select "Vahakyla's Goon A3 Mods".
Ensure that the directory for Arma 3 is also correct. Do not worry about the teamspeak, ACRE is disabled.

Go back to "Arma 3" tab, refresh the page and download mods. After they are done, there is a button to "launch arma3". Your arma will now launch through steam with all the mods downloaded and activated, without any hassle to you. This will also leave your game intact so whenever you launch directly from steam, your game is as it ever was!

:getin:

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 11, 2014

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ralith posted:

I don't know what exactly made the original IL-2 a labor of love, but so far BoS seems to be a worthy successor in every regard save number of planes.

Is it better, at this point, than CoD is?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

No.

CoD with the newest community patch is better. But it won't be in the future.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

JerikTelorian posted:

Massively. I have no idea what Vahakyla's smoking.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Ralith posted:

I think Cliffs of Dover with all the patches and community works at this point is a more complete flying game than BoS.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Are there any joy sticks in the modern day that don't cost an arm and a leg, that don't have that super stiff deadzone like the x52? It makes it really hard to aim :(

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TheTrend posted:

Are there any joy sticks in the modern day that don't cost an arm and a leg, that don't have that super stiff deadzone like the x52? It makes it really hard to aim :(

Thrustmaster 16000M is around 40 bucks.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Vahakyla posted:

Thrustmaster 16000M is around 40 bucks.

Yep and the hall sensor for the stick axes is bad rear end.

I hate the green light that goes off every time it's moved from center, but you can always mask it.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Ralith posted:

Are spotting issues resolved? Attacks from below were annoying.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Snapshot posted:

Are spotting issues resolved? Attacks from below were annoying.
You'll have to be more specific about what you mean by "spotting issues." As a rule, seeing through the floor of your cockpit is rather difficult...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'vs seen people mention the Saitek x52 in the thread. My Logitech one is bugging out on me so I am looking to upgrade. Is the x52 good overall, or is it just a stopgap for the more expensive ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I never have anything nice to say about Saitek stuff. They source bargain bin parts to keep costs down and it shows. The pots they use for axes are spikey and imprecise. The buttons and switches wear out with even moderate use. Some folks here are fine with the Saitek peripherals but I've always been disappointed with mine from the start, and am looking to get rid of anything I have with their name on it.

I've used a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro before and it was ok (also it's ~$15 on ebay often). Recently replaced it with a Thrustmaster T.16000M and the difference is very noticeable. Build quality was fine on either stick, they're plastic, but the TM is a bit more solid. What the TM has, though, is a hall effect sensor for the X/Y axes and it's so incredibly sensitive and precise, it's amazing. The little flimsy throttle thing on it blows, and I'm not sure what to do for an add-on throttle for combat aircraft yet (might look at CH's combat throttle some day.)

I know some people are happy with the throttle portion of their Saitek HOTAS but I'm not going to buy anything else from Saitek again, so I'll have to figure something out for more complicated military sims.

• Locked thread