Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yawing to one side is pretty normal for most planes due to engine torque and other factors. Have you set your aircrafts trim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
My joystick is a little loose and can cause things to yaw right a little if I forget to set the deadzone, but it's most likely torque.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I caved because I love combat flight sims.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sentinel posted:

So i just picked up a new joystick and BOS. Ive only started the first mission just to get figure out the controls. For some reason my plane seems to have a perpetual yaw drift to the right? is anyone esle experiencing anything like this?

It's probably just the engine torque like everyone else says, but what kind of stick is it? There's a known problem with the Logitech Extreme Digital 3D that can lead to drifting in the Rz-axis. Which is too bad, cause otherwise it's quite a nice entry-level stick.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Are you in a Russian aircraft by chance?

Torque will cause a plane to drift to the left or right based on which way the propeller is spinning. For Russian planes it is counterclockwise, so you'll have the plane constantly wanting to pull you to the right.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 24, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Whatever happened to that guy who was the co-producer of this game and would host goon games?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
He pretty much severed ties with the IL-2 series back in 2012 with the Cliffs of Dover debacle.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Sagebrush posted:

It's probably just the engine torque like everyone else says, but what kind of stick is it? There's a known problem with the Logitech Extreme Digital 3D that can lead to drifting in the Rz-axis. Which is too bad, cause otherwise it's quite a nice entry-level stick.

Its the logitech extreme fresh out of the box.

pixelbaron posted:

Are you in a Russian aircraft by chance?

Torque will cause a plane to drift to the left or right based on which way the propeller is spinning. For Russian planes it is counterclockwise, so you'll have the plane constantly wanting to pull you to the right.

Yeah ive only flown the starting Russian planes thus far. Should i just adjust my trim?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Would I be completely out of order if I asked for tips on how to get a Spitfire off the ground in CloD? I've managed to master the tight burnouts on the left wingtip and would like to fly now please.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I've never been a huge fan of the Rift. It's neat, and has good head tracking, but there's one big unsolvable problem: you have to take it off to see where your hands are. Maybe not a huge deal if you're mostly playing WASD games, or if you have every command you'd ever need on your HOTAS and completely muscle-memorized, but I find myself regularly needing to poke at the keyboard or mouse, or even to just look down to see what position some switch on the throttle is in. I could see that becoming a massive annoyance. This is beyond the screen door effect, limited field of view, 3D annoyances, etc.

Besides -- I hooked my computer up to a 48" HDTV that I sit about 48 inches away from, and with a headtracker it's pretty damned immersive. You can't take in the whole screen at once so as you look around to different parts of the screen, your viewpoint shifts and it's actually very natural. I think everyone should at least give it a try.

Serious question - Have you tried an Oculus yourself? I see a lot of comments from people being skeptical of Oculus and VR in general, and so far every single one of them had no firsthand experience with it.

Even when I (briefly) tried the DK1 Oculus playing CCP's Valkyrie tech demo last year, the experience blew me away. Even with the screen-door effect and headtracking lag of the DK1, which are supposedly almost completely gone in the DK2.

Cockpit games like IL-2 are perfect for the Oculus, because the player is sitting in a chair with the only articulation available to him being head movement in both real life and in-game. I've never seen anyone writing online be anything but extremely impressed or totally blown away by these kinds of games with the Rift - Go google people's experiences with the IL-2 and Elite betas, Valkyrie, Hawken, etc.

I apologize for sounding like some kind of gushing fanboy, but I haven't been this hyped about anything videogame related since I was like fourteen.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

How good is the AI in IL-2 (the old one)? I just picked it up on steam and I'm having a blast. At a glance it seems convincing enough, but I'm slightly worried that it either has AI that's dumb as bricks and can't fly for poo poo, or AI that cheats on flight models.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Sentinel posted:

Yeah ive only flown the starting Russian planes thus far. Should i just adjust my trim?

That will do it. Just gotta get that feel for adjusting your trim and you'll be flying level.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hav posted:

Would I be completely out of order if I asked for tips on how to get a Spitfire off the ground in CloD? I've managed to master the tight burnouts on the left wingtip and would like to fly now please.

Right rudder, and very slow, gentle application of throttle.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Geisladisk posted:

How good is the AI in IL-2 (the old one)? I just picked it up on steam and I'm having a blast. At a glance it seems convincing enough, but I'm slightly worried that it either has AI that's dumb as bricks and can't fly for poo poo, or AI that cheats on flight models.

IL-2 1946? Recent patches by Team Daidalos (which I think Steam has patched up to) have made the AI pretty good and varied and not as much of a cheat. I mean, it's still AI so it's going to get predictable at some point if you clock a lot of hours against AI opponents.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I picked up IL-2: BoS, and jesus christ I'm bad. Its been a while since I played IL-2, but I didn't think I'd degraded that much. Even getting off the ground was hard as poo poo, even though I've done is a million times. I didn't even kill anything once I got up there.

But jesus its pretty. And it feels great. This is the first sim (short of Elite Dangerous) that I've used my track IR with, so that might be part of my problem, as its almost overwhelming at times.
I love it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

tehsid posted:

I picked up IL-2: BoS, and jesus christ I'm bad. Its been a while since I played IL-2, but I didn't think I'd degraded that much. Even getting off the ground was hard as poo poo, even though I've done is a million times. I didn't even kill anything once I got up there.
Things handle a lot differently than they do in 1946. I've found I'm hard pressed to get a kill, and it took me several tries to get the hang of taking off in the FW190 reliably. Just gotta get the hang of things again.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Just got a TrackIR, so I figured I could finally make a post in this thread. First of all, I can never play a flight sim without it again. I got my first few BoS kills with it the first time I tried it on, and it felt amazing. I knew the tracking was good, but not that good. Second, Battle of Stalingrad is shaping up to be one of the best survey sims in a long, long time. Hopefully we can get some good squads together. Expert only :getin:

e: I think I'm going to pick up something to replace my Logitech Extreme 3D piece of poo poo today. I'm thinking the T1600 is my best bet, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Saitek X52/Pro.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 27, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tehsid posted:

But jesus its pretty. And it feels great. This is the first sim (short of Elite Dangerous) that I've used my track IR with, so that might be part of my problem, as its almost overwhelming at times.
I love it.

It's extremely pretty, but it feels very clunky, and that motion blur is obnoxious. Any way to turn it off?

So far I'm finding AI gunners seem to have lasers, diving on a Pe-2 left me on fire....the bailout animation is actually kinda fun.

Edit: I have the X52, and the only real problems are endemic to the stick itself, although I've removed the detents and done the magnet mod. Not got around to shimming the spring, though, so it still feels a bit loose while centered. I'm keeping an eye on the X55; reports are that quality is wildly variable, but I'm still mulling pedals.

Edit again: vvv Thanks, you're a star. That was really harshing things last night.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 27, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
For whatever reason it's tied to the Cinematic Camera instead of a graphic option.

Settings > Camera > Untick the Cinematic Camera at the bottom of the menu. I think this also disables that shaky cam effect in external view.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The 16000 is not worth it over the 3D.

Save up for a X52 or X55.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
The X52's pretty sticky and gets jittery pots after a while, though. Not that it won't get the job done.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna fire up BoS tonight after work if anyone's interested.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

EvilJoven posted:

I'm definitely in.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
What exactly was the CoD debacle? I bought the game and never managed to get it to work, or accept my key-binding changes, or anything. Did they really just get stuck trying to model the correct fabric texture on the train engineer's pants? Was it bad programming or bad production direction?

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Ralith posted:

The X52's pretty sticky and gets jittery pots after a while, though. Not that it won't get the job done.

Do you have experience with the Pro? This is pretty much my last bet before the price jumps noticeably for better gear, but I've heard the pro fixes a few problems. If it was a little less, I'd get a CH setup going.

EvilJoven posted:

I'd be interested in that.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Gaj posted:

What exactly was the CoD debacle? I bought the game and never managed to get it to work, or accept my key-binding changes, or anything. Did they really just get stuck trying to model the correct fabric texture on the train engineer's pants? Was it bad programming or bad production direction?
All of the above.

zwdzk posted:

Do you have experience with the Pro? This is pretty much my last bet before the price jumps noticeably for better gear, but I've heard the pro fixes a few problems. If it was a little less, I'd get a CH setup going.
Never used the Pro, I upgraded straight to a warthog.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Gaj posted:

Was it bad programming or bad production direction?

Yes!

In the end I don't think there was any direction. I hear Team Fusion has patched it up pretty well.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Part of tonight's IL2 will be trying to taxi the FW190 (if you have it). Expect yakety sax.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 27, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If this is anything like watching Goons try to take off in a Gotha V, I hope you'll be recording this. :allears:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

zwdzk posted:

I've had 2 X52 Pros die due to abraded throttle pots. I gave up and bought a Warthog because it's all hall effect sensors. I've since heard that CH uses industrial grade pots that hold up very well.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
I'm guessing I just need to think of anything I get as a stepping stone to the Warthog, since it seems to be the recommended stick everywhere.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Instead of paying twice, just suck it up and get a Warthog.
I got one the day day of release (to replace my second dead Cougar) and it's been solid ever since. That's 3 years IIRC. Don't think any of my sticks (2 unmodified Cougars, an X45, about half a dozen Saitek Cyborgs and a Logitech Wingman circa 1996) have lasted even half of that.

That said, the first one I bought had a dead left throttle. Just wouldn't register any movement at all. Amazon swapped it out immediately.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If this is anything like watching Goons try to take off in a Gotha V, I hope you'll be recording this. :allears:
It will be exactly like that. You have to use a very careful combination of differential brakes and rudder to get the thing to not just spin out immediately, to say nothing of actually taxiing in a controllable fashion.

Jiblet posted:

Instead of paying twice, just suck it up and get a Warthog. [...] That said, the first one I bought had a dead left throttle. Just wouldn't register any movement at all. Amazon swapped it out immediately.
On my Warthog, one of the wires that connect the stick handle to the main board in my stick broke after a while due to getting bent all the time and having no strain relief, and I suspect others will in the future. Fortunately it's relatively easy to fix that with some soldering, but if it keeps happening I may need to replace the wires entirely, which will require disassembling the whole base.

Even so, the stick feels great to use mechanically, and being made out of metal makes it feel really solid. I don't think I could happily use anything else at this point--I tried an Extreme 3D again recently and was amazed by how sloppy it felt in comparison. If you want to shave some off the price, maybe buy the stick alone and get a CH throttle instead, since there's nothing terribly special about the Warthog throttle compared to CH's offering other than a ton of switches you'll never use outside of DCS.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 27, 2014

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
One thing that seems to come up when talking of purchasing a Warthog versus most every other HOTAS setup (except this time) is the fact that the Warthog has no rudder option (no twist or anything), so you'll need to pick up something for that as well, unless you want to never get off the ground with the most expensive HOTAS on the market (that I know of).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Vahakyla posted:

The 16000 is not worth it over the 3D.

Couldn't disagree more. It's the step I made and I'm really happy with mine. The hall effect sensor makes a huge difference.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Flying with Joven last night was fun. We were able to find combat reliably within a few minutes of takeoff, and we even won a few fights! I'm starting to get the hang of gunnery with the La-5, though I'm still no good at maneuvering into position vs a defending foe.

Has anyone had the game give them points yet? I got "1 kill x 0.5 (emergency landing) x 2 (hardcore difficulty) = 0" for some reason. Maybe that's inextricably associated with the unlock system and thus turned off until release?

I had an amusing moment defending: I was just flying along and suddenly get shot up out of nowhere, with injured pilot and oily canopy. So I pull a split S back towards home and crank open the canopy so I can stick my head out and actually see anything. A minute later, someone shows up on my tail again and shoots of my wing, but the canopy already open I could instantly nope my way straight out of the cockpit and parachute down without a care. A nice change from having to wait several seconds.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 28, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

pixelbaron posted:

Yes!

In the end I don't think there was any direction. I hear Team Fusion has patched it up pretty well.

It's still a pig in molasses and I couldn't find a map last night while comparing it to BoS, which is altogether friendlier. It's pretty enough, but they appear to have gotten to a point and simply given up.

The other downside is that flying the Ju88 comes with this guy;

It's disconcerting, he's judging me with those eyes. Judging my pilot abilities.

Ralith posted:

I've had mine for a couple of years and haven't noticed any input spikes, YMMV, much like their quality control.

I think I'm getting the hang of BoS. I've gone from;

Edit: Not pictured, the solitary wheel that came bouncing out of the explosion. That was the moment I fell in love.

to;

Undercarriage being a nazi plot.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 28, 2014

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Ralith posted:

Has anyone had the game give them points yet? I got "1 kill x 0.5 (emergency landing) x 2 (hardcore difficulty) = 0" for some reason. Maybe that's inextricably associated with the unlock system and thus turned off until release?

Flying around in a Normal server doing ground attack I managed to get a couple of points for Ground Attack + Emergency Landing.

I don't know how Expert deals out points.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

The Ferret King posted:

Couldn't disagree more. It's the step I made and I'm really happy with mine. The hall effect sensor makes a huge difference.

I was able to test both out, and I ended up going with the T1600. The X52 Pro stick was wobbly and felt really cheaply built which was an instant turn-off. It felt about as loose as my Logitech Extreme. The TM may be cheaply built as well, but the action is smooth and precise, and and joystick stands straight with hardly any wiggle room. However, assigning buttons in-game is a pain in the rear end because of how cheaply built that aspect of the controller is. Overall, it's been great with RoF and BoS.

E: V Got my TrackIR before I even got my new joystick. I can't play without it now. I know I won't be getting an X52 for sure, though. Also, I sent you a Steam request the other day in case you were wondering who that person was.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
To be honest, unless you're going to want to pile in to complicated jets real soon, you made the right choice. Next step is a TrackIR and after that, to be honest, you might want to skip the X52 and get a CH or Thrustmaster HOTAS.

• Locked thread