Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sylink posted:

4.11 makes my game crash on loading so thats fun.

Tried the hotfix patch at the bottom of this post?

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29039

I like how nothing says where this CTD occurs that it fixes.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

VanOwen posted:

How painful is playing with Steam? I used to fly ME109s in BFE and kinda miss it. I know IL can use my trackIR and all that. Not sure if steam will cause nothing but tears.

Steam is fine as IIRC it is just the game. If you export it out of the Steam folder Steam will never touch it. Don't leave it in the Steam folder if you patch though, as it will try and "fix" it when a new patch rolls out.

Pretty sure this is still the case.

Edit: Steam

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

40 OZ posted:

I've only played ww2ol, and I use aerilon trim (is this a mistake?) and have never used rudder trim. Should I be using rudder trim or aerilon trim at all, as a new player?

edit- Assuming I'm flying a 109E

Rudder trim, but the 109 shouldn't have it, or aileron trim for that matter. It was trimmed on the ground for cruise.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
If you have both use both, but rudder is the main focus. Trim the rudder so the ball is in the center of the slip gauge. Use aileron trim to relieve pressure on the stick once the ball is centered.

Most of the time you will only have rudder trim, so I'm just used to holding the stick to counter the roll movement when at anything other than cruise.

If the ball is not centered you are losing energy for no gain. British planes have a tilting indicator for the slip gauge, works the same way.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
One of my first experiences in IL2 was a US fighter over wake with manual gear. I didn't know it was manual gear and was really, really unimpressed with the things speed. Then I figured that out and it really didn't go a whole lot faster with the gear up either... F2 if I remember correctly.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Hav posted:

This helps a lot. I'm currently using the X52 (with the LEDs turned *off*) and did try to bind trim to some of the throttle wheels, but that seems a bit fiddly. Would a hat be better on the joystick? Is my only feedback about the current trim going to be the airframe moving (no trim indicators?).

Straight from the farm is really very good. My landings are ragged as all hell and so far I've nosed-over once, but it's great at going over the basics. I'm not a fan of having rudder on the stick twist, though. Does everyone do this, or is there a better way?

For trim on the x52 I put it on the top left hat on the stick. Rudder/elevator only. Aileron can be on the keyboard as it's not as necessary, and most planes don't have it anyway.

To trim what you want to do is keep the plane in unaccelerated flight with stick/rudder and then trim out the "pressure" you put on the stick. For changing conditions I usually just trim for cruise and leave it there, and all planes are trimmed for cruise on takeoff in IL2 IIRC.

Those trim wheels are pretty bad, the only thing I use them for is zoom in a-10c

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
What Camera are you using, are the drivers compatible?

I got something like that with the PS3Eye and the wrong drivers, needed an older one.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Blistex posted:

I'm using the PS3Eye as well. Could you shoot me a link to the drivers you are using? I'm using the newest ones, so that might be the issue!

This is the older one that works fine for me:

http://www.codelaboratories.com/files/archive/CL-Eye-Driver-5.0.1.0520.exe

Then there is a newer one that "should" work, but I haven't tried it:

http://www.codelaboratories.com/files/archive/CL-Eye-Driver-5.1.1.0176.exe

Got them from here:

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=2416&page=5

When I start Freetrack I have to open Stream and hit ok, then start the camera. Works every time but if I don't do it there is a chance the preview on the left doesn't start and shouts about a memory error. I can't find a reason for it other than *FreeTrack*.

Edit: newer one does not seem to work.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 23, 2012

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Blistex posted:

Thanks! I'll have to give this a try when I get home.

Bloody hell, not working either. As soon as I select the PS3 Eye in Freetrack and then click "start" it freezes then closes.

Did you sacrifice a lamb and click 'stream' first?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Farecoal posted:

Are there any mods that add planes and/or make the AI-only planes flyable? I really want to fly all the Big B's with their ridiculous bomb loads, but Google seems to be no help.

HSFX used to add a bunch, haven't looked at it in years though.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Did they ever fix the mediocre performance even on computers that met recommended spec? I bought it on release, cause I was gullible enough to tell myself that they would fix it, and haven't played it since then.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I've been an IL-2 fan since I was 11 years old, I love it dearly but haven't played it in about 5 years. Why is Cliffs of Dover so bad then? What exactly went wrong

In short: It ran like poo poo, lacked many features, and had basically no fun put it in at all.

It was so bad that last time I looked, 1946 had more people playing.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is it just going to be stock(4.12)? I'm not sure I can make it as I have half-assed plans, but I'll get set up for the future either way.

Edit: Is there any good torrents for 4.12? Steam seems to still be on 4.10.1 or something. The 4.12 Torrent link from 1C forums is broken, Mission from today links to mediafire which then refuses my account for some reason(although I can log in fine), and the other site listed will take 2 hours at least.

Superedit: Ah man, it has been years since I played this. Put a A6M2-21 against a F2A, forced it to crash, went landed, took off, then proceeded to try and test the critical angle of attack while below 500ft, Found it, and then the ground shortly after.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 17, 2013

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

LP97S posted:

You have to click on the filename, not the download location, Mission4Today is awful.

Awesome, thank you. 15m > 2 hours left and climbing.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Blistex posted:

I'd love to get in on this now that I have a PC that can run IL-2, mumble, and Freetrack all at the same time, but for the life of me I can't get freetrack to work with Windows 7 (same problem as earlier in the thread). I was reading the freetrack forums, and they mentioned hitting stream first, then start to the game then start freetrack, but I can't get freetrack to see what my PS3 Eye can see. Maddening since it worked without a hitch on my old laptop.

If I ever get it up and running I'll be sure to get back into the game.

What was that huge mess of a mission generator we were using a few years back that made ongoing missions that accounted for team losses and bombed targets? That was awesome when it worked (almost never). I think Breakfast or Joven was in charge of it.

Use FaceTrackNoIR with the pointtracker plugin. Everything about it seems great, and the Accela filter works much better than the smoothing that freetrack used.

IIRC Freetrack was abondoned years ago, unless something has changed.

Here's there sourceforge site
http://ftnoirpt.sourceforge.net/#about

And the download page
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ftnoirpt/

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 7, 2013

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Vahakyla posted:

Whatare the odds of this goon group hopping over to Il2 Battle Of Stalingrad?

Right now? It's a gamble.

I'll be waiting till release or some form of Beta shows it's playable and better than IL2:46.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

ShineDog posted:

Does this mean I'll be able to fly in relaxed engine management mode and not have an identicle fighter power away from me?

It'll probably still power away as simple engine management is really, really bad in some planes. You should learn complex though, since without it you screw yourself in several situations. Just grab a C or D Corsair and try keeping the engine RPM right on 2700 the whole time, that thing gets cruising when you do that. There used to be a manual(spreadsheet?) with all the planes best RPM settings, don't know if that still exists. Just think of the prop pitch like a transmission ratio, as that is how IL2 seems to model it anyway.

JerikTelorian posted:

Nothing quite that intense, but there is an Aircraft Guide in the install directory which has almost all of the planes in it

Ah, that's the one I was looking for.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 30, 2013

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

pixelbaron posted:

I like how TB-3's would transport paratroopers and the paratroopers would literally have to cling to the sides or the wings of the plane for dear life until they got to their drop.

I made a mission in OFP that revolved around this, except it was the Camels that could have two guys hang onto the wing.

It was terrible.

Edit: Could I get an invite to the steam group?

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197967242228/

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bubbacub posted:

How is flak and AA modeled in BoS? In Il-2, the mechanic of simulating a lot of AA guns with one or two really accurate guns due to CPU limitations always felt a little weird.

I remember the first time I tried to make a level boming mission in IL2 I loaded up like 100+ guns to our ~20 bombers.

It lagged like hell and we all got shot down before we could even drop.

• Locked thread