Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Going to repost the big image dump I made in the last thread.

We started playing again, so get in and play.

Here's some pictures of the most recent games and why you should play:

See the sights!

Play as your favorite cartoon character!

See hi-fidelity ground textures up close!

Fly planes that will never fly again!

See how well you can shoot at a target!

Chase planes once you run out of ammo!

Fly as a community!

As you can tell from the pics, we sometimes use custom plane skins, pilot skins, and noseart for US planes. A lot of these are hacked together by me in paint.net (Photoshop 7 now) so if you have any requests, post them. Here are some examples.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/czSA2.jpg (no nudity) :nws:

Also, to repost something I wrote in the Goon IL-2 Steam page

Die for one of the following: Hitler's slave labor profits, Roosevelt's internment profits, Truman's Atoms profit, Mussolini's pasta profit,
Churchill's booze profits, Tojo's rice profits, Mannerhiem's salmiakki profits, Stalin's gulag profits, and occaisionally Kim Il Sung's kim-chee profits.

And for the much harder planes skins:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

Someone had a great quote in the last thread about gunnery. Apparently most US pilots admitted to being bad at gunnery, but their skill was in getting enemy craft into lousy situations. I am godawful at gunnery and my main goal is to get the enemy plane to fly through a stream of bullets.

Your shots will definitely be all over the place, but if you can catch the enemy in a bad spot, it'll all work out.

Some of the best aces were terrible/mediocre pilots and terrible/mediocre shots. One of the reasons so many Germans top this aces chart with anywhere from 100 to 352 kills is that they were on the East front with the Russians throwing everything and anything that flew at the Germans and the Germans were flying up to six sorties a day, being fueled by quick ground crews and lots of meth. I remember reading that Erich Hartmann, the top Ace of all time, simply flew his plane in from behind, waited until the enemy filled up the windscreen, then he fired all guns and cannons at once and got out.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Farecoal posted:

What's this whole scramble thing?

Some people are playing online right now, get into the mumble and put up with clicky keys until you quit from the sound.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

IL-2 Night back on tonight at 6 PM EST until whenever I decide to stop (unless someone else takes over hosting). I'm thinking Dogfights and then I'm going to try running MDS Campaigns (this means objectives AND respawning people, it's like Christmas came early, if this works).

Sorry, but a lot of us have been playing Wargames: European Escalation. Once that gets out of beta and the whirlwind of it dies down I'm sure everyone will be back in IL-2.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Get online some time when we're playing (which sadly isn't much these days) and we'll show you the ropes.

In general, the 'plane pulling to the left/right' thing is due to a few factors and is actually natural. The I-16 has no trim so the plane will only be straight and level at a certain altitude and speed. Outside of these parameters you'll have to keep a constant control input. Compensate for the turn with rudder. When you're in the air flying at the altitude you want you basically have to fiddle with your power and pitch until your plane is flying straight and level.

It sadly isn't much these days for the following reasons: 1) The people who "run" the goon IL-2 community haven't been on in months. 2) Because of 1, there isn't any real announcements. 3) People suggest what to do through our awkward mumble chat when to play only 20 minutes before start and by doing so are interrupting military and politics sperging in channel.

I hate to say it EvilJoven, but you might have to step up yet again to get us to play a game made by Russians 11 years ago and maintained by people who I would have sworn were fascists until the most recent patch.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
New patch came out today

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=413927&postcount=1

code:

- Ki-45 pilot and gunner skin changes
- Pe-8 and TB-7 gondola gunner head fix
- SM.79 gunsight toggle bombsight view fix
- Pe-8 now leaves crater when crashed into the ground
- Il-4 flaps operation lever animated correctly
- Pe-8 and TB-7 engine panel view glitch fixed
- M-105 series oil and water temperature limits changed
- Cant.Z506 can now take off with loaded plane
- Re.2000 can now carry 2x100kg bombs and Hungarian markings
- Player can now see a message dialog when joining a home base that has no planes left
- QMB now works with pair take off
- Early/late torpedo versions caused problems in the loadout list
- Fixed Java error when changing plane in FMB
- Fixed IK-3 navigation lights
- Static Fw 190A-4 1.42ata added
- Blow up flaps for F6F and F4U added
- Void skins for Cant.Z506 Mosquito XVIII and Fw 190A-4FR added
- Change of MG17 lamps in Fw 190A-4 to A-6
- Player's bomb delay value in arming screen now stays unchanged when viewing other planes
- Wingman no longer explodes at the end of taxiing in Crimea Red Scramble QMB mission
- I-250 shows proper RAF, RAAF and RN marking
- Fixed missing SM.79 pilot's head that caused plane to freeze in air
- Ki-45 aileron animation now correct
- New Ki-45 skins by Hayate
- Italian Autoblinda can now elevate the gun
- IK-3 changed to allied side
- Mosquito Mk.XVIII is no longer pink when no ammo is selected
- Changed .50 cal belt from APIT - AP - HE - AP to APIT - AP - API - AP
- AI in Mosquito Mk.XVIII will now attack ground targets
- Jet planes can now take off without burning their engines
- Pe-8 and TB-7 are normal to taxi now
- A few fixes in German localisation
- Bug with Il-4 being partially invulnerable fixed
- Army briefing now always fully visible
- P-39 no longer has permanent fuel pressure warning light
- Beaufighter now shows bullet holes in cockpit
- Fixed Beaufighter cockpit throttle section
- TBD gunner no longer grows an extra head when first one is lost
- G.50 compass shows more correct numbers
- Glitch with Ar 234 external gunsight from in cockpit view fixed
- Cowl flaps on TB-7 are now animated correctly
- Bf 110G-2 wing roots no longer invisible from cockpit
- Fixed wrong night gauge textures in Re.2000 and G.50
- Removed jet flame engine damage graphics for piston engines
- Seafire radiator now animated
- Fix in Ar 234 cockpit
- Hs 129 pitch control lamps swapped
- Fixes of Il-4 cockpit texture
- Fixes in plane and loadout names in Russian localisation
- Stationary planes somewhat less resistant to explosions
- Changes in FM of Pe-8 and TB-7
- Changes Pe-8 and TB-7 turret ammo count
- Active water injection no longer increases engine temperature
- Jet oil temperature is calculated differently
- Tuning of overheat parameters for a number of planes
- Changes to German electric fuze parameters
- Changed test runway spawning method to that of carriers
- Dead pilot's head does no longer move
- Spin shooting algorithm refined
- Changes to F4U and F6F FM for more correct take off behaviour
- Sunset and night lighting changes
- Removed some fuel consumption rates
- Changed canopy of Fw 190A-8 Mistel external model to match cockpit model
- Fixed clipping issues with Ki-27 & Ki-43-I tube sights
- Fixed Avia B-534 gunsight when seat is raised
- Small 6DoF related fixes in F6F-3, P-38, Ki-61 & Bf-109E cockpits
- Showing test runway map icons when realistic navigation is on
- Added generic spawn plane as stationary plane
- Changed AI so that last plane in formation performs maneuvers for checking blind spots
- Tweaks to AI shooting
- AI maneuvers fine tuned
- Small changes in AI defensive maneuvers selection
- Fixed all engine temperature instruments (see guide)
- Removed a crashlanded Bf109 from Bessarabia Blue Scramble QMB missions

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Mobius1B7R posted:

We aren't using mods, just the latest patch. That might have changed since I haven't played in a month.

No one has been playing, it's just been me and a few others making GBS threads up the mumble for bullshit chat while occasionally playing other games like CK2 or ArmA.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Skies of Valour is terrible. Let me play a match where the US has P-51C's that are modeled like crap while the Japanese have Ki-84's which have 2 30mm cannons, 2 20mm cannons, and flies like a fat Zero.

Really, we have enough great moving dogfight missions and we could always do campaigns to do this on our own.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Haha, like the dozen goons dumb enough to buy Cliffs of Dover care enough to update the thing. Hell, I won't buy it now.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I'm more disappointed about how Clod, between the terrible engine and Ubi's marketing meddling, ruined the franchise. You see, it was originally going to be called Storm of War: Battle of Britain and was going to be the first of the that series. The claim was that the engine could handle many eras of planes and the next game would be a Korean War era game, finally joining the ranks of Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and Mig Alley as the only games about that war. Ubisoft wanted to change it to IL-2 to sell more games and then the engine clusterfuck killed it all.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Mobius1B7R posted:

I'm trying to make IL-2 a thing again. Anyone interested in IL2 tonight (as in 7/17) around 7EST?

I'm interested, all I ask is that we allow most views because not everyone has TrackIR.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
You have to click on the filename, not the download location, Mission4Today is awful.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Could they have at least kept the original font type of IL-2 so it doesn't look like a Rise of Flight Game?

vs.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Before anyone criticizing my tactics, I found some historical justification:

"Head-on deliberate midair collision is a weapon of heroes. Glory to the Stalin's falcons, threat to the fascist predators!" :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I can't play IL-2 right now since my X-52 is out of commission and I can't comfortably fit my massive hand in the X-45 joystick. Plus I still don't have trackir.

• Locked thread