Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:woop: New thread!

Somebody with admin access to the steam group should probably change the links on the group page and/or make an event for TB-3 night to get everyone back in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I can host Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and weekends in the afternoon/evening (Euro time), but several of my missions are out of date, if people could throw their favourites in the dropbox that'd be great.

e/ vv Make it a habit to lurk in irc and/or mumble whenever you're online, that way you're less likely to miss any impromptu flights that might get thrown up.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 22, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yo Joven, this needs to go in the OP, stat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QXX69CFj_Q

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sackmo posted:

So how important is talking in Mumble, anyway? I already have it installed, but I can't stand trying to actually speak while playing at the same time, so I never have a mic plugged in.

Yes, I'm "that guy". Deal with it. :colbert:

You don't have to talk, but it's good to be there listening in case we need you for anything. It also makes organising missions easier.

e/ DAAAIIIDAALOOOSS :argh:

I was having a problem recently where I couldn't make a moving dogfight server where any of the planes could carry bombs, or any loadout other than default (not even empty). I thought it was a bug, but it turns out that it was simply this: if you turn on aircraft limitations at a home base (a necessary option if you want limited respawns on certain planes), this also automatically turns on loadout limitations, which are by default set to only default (loving :lol:), even though the number of available aircraft is set by default to unlimited. So if you want limited aircraft but with the players choice of loadout, you have to go through each plane individually and add all the available weapons.

With all the loving around they've been doing in the FMB, fullmissionbuilder.com going down/out of date, and all this obtuse poo poo to deal with, I'm seriously considering writing a manual for the drat thing, if only so I don't have to re-discover all this crap every time I stop playing for a couple of months.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 23, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
^^ owns.

EvilJoven posted:

Last night was great, we had around 8 or 9 people online at one point, tearing poo poo up.

I'm going to work on more MDS missions. Those seem to be the sweet spot for us. Once more of the new guys get a handle on things we'll start doing actual co-op missions.

Be warned, in co-ops we usually restart the mission if you screw up and crash on take off but other than that it's a case of 'you die, you spend the next 20 minutes twiddling your thumbs'.

What I'm really hoping is that Lowengrin releases an updated DCG that has better MDS support. I'd love to see a co-op campaign that's run in dogfight mode where when you die you can only select the planes left on the ramp. This way if someone's 5 minutes late they can still grab whatever's left and catch up.

MDS campaign would be super special awesome, and really shouldn't even be that hard of an adjustment to make, as if that'll have any bearing on whether it gets done. Here's hoping so.

I'm pretty bummed I couldn't make it last night, hopefully more people in general means more people with nothing to do between 2-7PM EST (living in britain sucks, not nearly enough eurogoons play this game with any regularity).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Farecoal posted:

Do I have to do anything special to play multiplayer with you guys?

Getting in the Mumble/irc channel is the most important thing, since host IPs are usually distributed in the former.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'd be way down for flying again if you're not going at crazy late american time.

This should become less of a problem once more good maps get made/found/distributed and we get more euros willing to host at sensible times. At the moment there's me and Frobbe that I know are good to host from 1700-0100 GMT, and a couple of amerigoons that tend to get on earlier like LP and Wonkotron, but the main issue is really maps. I'm working on a couple different things, and Pixelbaron's MDS that we tested last night is shaping up to be pretty great, but the mission builder is a pain in the rear end and it takes bloody ages to make anything substantial.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I reckon we should upgrade to TB-7 shenanigans; it has more guns AND a 5 ton gently caress you button :haw:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Blistex posted:

Hartmann often came back to his airfield with damage sustained from the aircraft he shot down flinging debris into his aircraft.

It's extra hazardous if you're using cannons: if you score a fuel tank hit, the force of the explosion is likely to set your own on fire as well. A Ki-84 mission earlier tonight had me celebrating, then cursing the terrible leaky fuel tanks on USN planes when one blew up right in front of me. I got the kill though! :downsgun:

If you're shooting 30mm you don't even need that, as the blast is really quite large, especially with the MK108.

e/ vv The hell are you talking about? :godwin::hitler::italy:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 26, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Node posted:

I have my ju-87 reticle aimed right on top of the target for a couple seconds before releasing the bomb. It never hits.

Is it the Stuvi sight or the regular reflector? Because neither of those are calibrated to send the bombs at your crosshairs. The Stuvi (in the last Ju-87 bomber variant, and the Ju-88) needs to be calibrated with your release altitude, and there's a little horizontal bar that will move up the sight as you dive. When the buzzer sounds, you drop your bombs and they will hit whatever was beneath the centre of that horizontal bar at time of release. The bar stops moving once your dive stabilizes, so it's not as hard to aim as it sounds, you just have to start rather high.

The regular reflector sight (in all earlier Ju-87 variants) has jack all to do with your bombs, and is actually tuned to your forward guns. If your bombs are consistently hitting behind the target, try aiming a little lower, and learn where in the sight your target needs to be for a good hit. Note that some reflector sights on other planes have additional horizontal ticks above and below centre designed to help with dive and shallow bombing, but without a manual the only way to learn to use them is to pay attention.

Der Schellenberg posted:

From an early version of my ground attack MDS that I'm building, some idiot IL-2 pilots who have trouble staying above 20ft:

http://youtu.be/QH23API0kgg

That sure is a loving huge armour column. Can't go wrong with a good old Il-2 ground attack mission! (there had better be multiple trains to blow up, train busting is awesome :arghfist::ussr:)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 31, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Node posted:

Wow okay, no wonder I'm doing so poorly. How do I activate the stuvi sight?

The Stuvi is always active in this game, there's nothing to do to turn it on or anything. You can actually see the on/off switch on the left hand side of the sight, accompanied by the text "stuvi ist ein" indicating that the sight is turned on; it's just part of the model though, and isn't functional.

From the Il-2 Aircraft Guide:

quote:

The Stuka D-5 is equipped with the Stuvi dive sight. Before the dive in your Ju-87D-5 you must set your dive airspeed (true) by buttons “Increase Sight Velocity” and “Decrease Sight Velocity” and bomb drop altitude by buttons “Increase Sight Altitude” and “Decrease Sight Altitude”. When the plane enters the dive you must place the crosshairs onto your target and keep it there. When the plane reaches the preset altitude the warning horn will sound. The pilot should drop the bombs at this point, after which point the plane will be automatically leveled off.

The crosshairs here refers to the moving set I mentioned in my last post, just for reference.

e/ vv It HAS to be the Ju-87D-5, the other variants only have a regular gunsight. I went through a few edits of this post and mentioned it in one of them, I must have edited it out and forgotten about it, sorry. :blush:

e2/ The Stuvi sight is this hugeass black thing:

the little >--< mark moves up and down based on your dive angle and speed. If you don't have a big black box with a reflector hanging underneath, you haven't got a Stuvi! (again, sorry for not being more clear about this)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 31, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Der Schellenberg posted:

I think it's worth noting the speed ReRobot's flying that stuka at. Shouldn't they break apart before then?

Not my screenshot, but yes, slightly. You can actually see the bottom of the Vne sticker peeking out from under the cockpit bar, just above the speedo, telling you not to go above 600kph in a dive. That guy is probably just getting some shakes though, since he seems to be in a relatively shallow dive and not maneuvering too hard; if he was in a 90 degree dive he'd be hosed.

Also his throttle is non-zero in an attack run, as you can tell from the manifold pressure, another general do-not; given that and prop speed, it actually looks like he's got his throttle pegged at max, so yeah he really should be breaking up any second now, unless he's flying with low realism. I literally only posted that pic as the first clear GIS result I could find of what the Stuvi sight looks like in game.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've got a new MDS up to the stage where I need people to help me test it, if you feel like flying ping me on irc and I'll throw it up. Can't just leave it up since it's (for now) a bomber intercept type rather than a "lets punk unwitting stationary ground targets" thing.

Basic gist is we're flying late war Japanese interceptors (or Zeros if we crash all the best planes) to beat the crap out of Hellcats and Corsairs. I'm planning on adding more types of enemy aircraft later, but I want to make sure the mission is going in the right direction first, because putting in an hour's worth of enemies to fight only to find that I need to change the timing/difficulty on all of them would completely sap my will to try.

Right now it only lasts about 15-20 minutes, so if you feel like having a go just say so.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KcDohl posted:

Ailerons and rudders are different control surfaces that accomplish different things. If your plane is yawing and you don't want it to, use rudder trim. If your plane is rolling and you don't want it to, use aileron trim. It's not a matter of what "should" be used more, you just use what you need to use.

The problem with phrasing it like this is that your plane never just rolls or yaws. If your rudder is not properly trimmed you will get sideslip, yes, but that in turn will cause you to roll. Very very few planes will still tend to roll with the slip gauge centred, so rudder trim is what you should focus on.

Basically, only resort to aileron trim if your slip gauge is already centred but your plane is still rolling.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So yeah it turns out that after not flying in over month I've gotten pretty bad at this! :downs:

If I host it'll usually be between 2-5pm EST (7-10pm UTC+1) any day but Monday and maybe Wednesday, so Euros and people without social lives are the target demographic here.

e/ Might pick up working on my west pacific bomber intercept again with more heavy bombers, because it turns out it's entirely possible [and really loving fun] for a single IJA interceptor to blow through a flight of B-17s, which means it's totally fair for a six-player session to face a full squadron of 24. :D

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 26, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

VanOwen posted:

Is there a repository or site where you guys get your IL-2 missions from for multiplayer? I had a hankering to visit London with a He111 or Tokyo with a B25 the other day but... I can't be bothered to make the missions myself.

And I guess I should add it would be way more fun to do this with actual goons... Shooting guys in furballs are fun enough but it gets repetitive.

You can get missions and stuff other people have made from Mission4Today (may require registration, can't recall). Note that anything which uses a non-standard map won't be playable multiplayer unless you get everyone to download it, which won't happen as it represents yet another barrier to entry that makes it harder to get a lot of people in a pickup game, the main reason for our general "no mods" rule.

Generally we either make multiplayer missions ourselves or [much more often] use Lowengrin's Dynamic Campaign Generator. Neither Tokyo nor London appear on any stock maps, so you'd have to find custom maps for them on M4T (if they even exist), which means goon multiplayer will basically never happen.

[opinions]Not to mention that I personally wouldn't ever want to run a city bombing mission.[/opinions]

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Did you set SaveAspect to 0? Here's my full screen settings for reference:

quote:

[window]
width=1680
height=1050
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

Pretty sure those are the most important ones, this guide has a full explanation of what everything does though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Come ooooon Tuesday :rolldice:

Nothing else to do, don't have to be up in the morning, I might actually be able to play a full night for the first time in forever! :toot:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also finally: map temperatures.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finally got around to watching Red Tails last week, and suddenly have this mad urge to blow up trains, trucks, motorbikes, and innocent turnip fields. I don't even remember all my keybinds, haha.

e/ They changed the splash screen and menu background, but not that loving clown music. :suicide: What else is new?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 8, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Are steam events broken as? Apparently, since it's telling me to show up at 12am Monday instead of 12pm Sunday. :confuoot:

w/e, I definitely have nothing to do between lunch and dinner on Sunday but drink, may as well add flying to the list. Let's do this! :woop:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

EvilJoven posted:

Dude, it is midnight for you. 6 PM CENTRAL STANDARD TIME

I got -6 confused with +6, why doesn't my brain work at night :negative:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

kalstrams posted:

Defence of Japan by Imperial Japanese Army Air Service against American invaders ? :japan:

That was fun, Hayates are boss. The earlier start was welcome too, how likely is that to happen again?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You haven't flown with us much yet so you might not have picked it up, but we don't really mind about historical accuracy at all. What matters is that engagements are fun, which here usually means a target rich environment with opponents that can challenge you but won't immediately set you on fire*. (also: we refuse to fly straight for more than ten minutes :colbert:)

That said, those matchups you mentioned look like a lot of fun, be a good excuse to fly a Ki-43 in a setting where it can actually do something.

*the exception to this is carrier/battleship bombing, because we're all huge nerds and the ridiculous amount of tracers makes us feel like we're in star wars or something :awesome:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Checking it out it seems like the only ones available of what you mentioned are I-16's, no Hawks or P-26's. :goleft: I-16 vs Hayabusa/Zero could be fairly amusing though.

EvilJoven posted:

I enjoy variety and challenge. Sticking somewhat loosely to history means we aren't always flying the same late war super OP plane with no vulnerabilities or downsides.

That being said, I want things to be fun and will sacrifice realism or historical accuracy every time if it makes things more fun.

I'd do an effortpost on why realism as the core of flight sims is a largely spurious idea that only coincidentally meshes with what most people find fun in the genre, if I thought anybody would read it :v:

Captain Novolin posted:

The only enemy that consistently sets us on fire is the engines of our ME-262s.

Jumo more like Jewmo amirite :godwin:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

The Ferret King posted:

However, I find this to be incredibly difficult in the sim, especially with these high torque, and finicky WWII birds. I prefer to use a wheel landing method, where you come in a bit faster and are able to keep the nose down a little lower during the flare. Settle on the front main wheels first, then hold the stick slightly forward to keep the tail off the ground while you bleed off speed (no brakes used yet). Once the tail begins to drop on its own, hold the stick back all the way and apply gentle braking.

If you're doing it like this, it's actually safe to stamp on the brakes immediately upon touchdown so long as your tail is up; you aren't at risk of flipping over due to braking until well below stall speed. The real life reason for this is the wind force pushing on the top surfaces of your tail holds it down; I don't know if this is why it works in Il-2, but I've found that generally you don't have to go from holding to tapping the brakes until you're doing less than 40-50mph.

(credit to Wolfgang Langewiesche for that one, Stick & Rudder is an excellent book which I highly recommend)

e/ I should mention that as of version 4.12, this mode of hard fast landing can be extremely difficult to pull off thanks to the more realistic gear failures they added. Ki-84s and 109s for instance will now buckle at the drop of a hat :v:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 2, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yessssssss, carrier landings are always hilarious. Your only choices are perfect three-point, or bouncing after catching the arresting wire and splatting on to the deck from 20ft in the air, no in between. Good times :allears:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Captain Splendid posted:

I've had good results with FaceTrackNoIR which is freeware that emulates TrackIR by using your webcam.

It's not perfect and can take a bit of tweaking to get it right but for the price (zero), it's not bad.

Care to share your settings, or some good default ones?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Renaissance Robot posted:

Care to share your settings, or some good default ones?

gently caress it, I'm saving up for a rift. Unless freetrack-withIR or whatever has less processor overhead?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Renaissance Robot posted:

brakes on landing

Ugh, this is embarrassing. Turns out I may have been overstating the degree to which the game lets you stand on the brakes during fast landings due to the fact that every time I thought I'd been doing just that for the last two weeks? I actually wasn't, because the key I bound to brakes some 3 years ago got unbound along with everything else and I didn't think to check.

I've been landing without any brakes at all. Kill me :cripes:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll almost certainly be there, because woo planes

I'm in the mood for something with P-40s and/or Il-2s, haven't strafed a train in ages. e/ Or Airacobras. Anything ostfront would be great tbh

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 7, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I can't remember if you said you'd tried War Thunder, Joven, but I finally got around to setting up sim controls for it, and daaaang sim mode is actually hella fun. Spent a good three hours or so last night beating up 109s/110s with Jarmak.

The lack of markers can be a bit of a pain, but flying with goons on voicechat ameliorates that a lot (it's a piece of cake to make custom servers with settings closer to what we play Il-2 with, but the AI is still pretty rubbish and pubs tend to stay out of custom servers because battles there don't get you any points :v:). The best bit is due to the popularity of the game, the public servers are nothing at all like Skies of Fire; the vast majority of human players are moderately terrible, and even the good ones can usually be coaxed into making mistakes.

Anyway we're trying to start a Saturday night sim thing in WT and even though the game is still nowhere near finished it's at the point where I think you guys would probably enjoy it, even you will be limited to early war planes for the first few rounds (playing sim gives you a ridiculous multiplier for research though, so it wouldn't be for long)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

dayman posted:

The argument that we've been trying to make is that the model is just a really poor match for a dedicated sim. RoF is fun, but I can't help but think it would have been better as a regular game. As for War Thunder, I can't really speak on it except to those I talk with in IL-2 servers say it's not even close to sim level.

The arcade bit isn't, sure, but the sim-difficulty flight models are largely as good as Il-2 in my opinion apart from missing a few cosmetic familiarities like airframe creak and redout. Unfortunately even this side of it is still subject to XP grinding and unlocks (even to access most of the single player content), which sucks additionally heavily because it's practically two different games: a WoT-style mouse and keyboard shooter that happens to feature planes, and a flight sim that has the potential to be everything we were promised in Storm of War.

The in-game mission/dynamic campaign generator is drat good, and the difficulty settings comprehensive enough to create an experience very similar to what we've become used to in Il-2/RoF, but as you say, it's impossible to set up a good co-op session if people are missing planes/equipment with no way to get them except an unreasonably large expenditure of time and/or money.

Maybe once the drat thing is actually done they'll offer some kind of retail package, but that won't be for another 2-3 years at least.

dayman posted:

Clearly I'm on the wrong side of history here as so money modern games are adopting this form of monetization as a guarantee at future revenue and reduction in piracy. I just can't help but think that no one asked for it.

No players maybe. Profit motivation is a bitch.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It is extremely feasible, yes, especially with any of the 109s that carry the engine mounted MK108.

That said, you're actually more likely to damage yourself doing it in this than War Thunder, since as far as I'm aware that game doesn't model shockwave effects from exploding planes - they either leave behind bits you can hit or disintegrate entirely. Flying through an expanding cloud of fire and plane bits Star Wars style will never not be fun as hell though, even if it does leave you with broken instruments and burst fuel tanks :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Micr0chiP posted:

This discution reminded me of a video that i saw days ago.
You can see the dificulty of flying in close formation in this video, constante throttle ajustments and always checking your lider and wingman position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys7JTWLB33k

I dont see much time were he could be visual scaning for targets when flying this close.

The heck is that aggravating whistling noise? I'm guessing radar altimeter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Listening again I agree, it's been too long since I played any DCS and I forgot what jet noise sounds like :shobon:

• Locked thread