Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Main Series

Resident Evil was released in 1996, for the original Playstation, and later ported to Saturn and PC. It also received two PS1 rereleased, the Director's Cut, and the Director's Cut: DualShock Edition. It is the game that coined the phrase "survival horror," although arguably not the first in the genre, as Alone in the Dark was released 4 years earlier, and introduced many elements that are considered staples of the genre. You were given the choice of two character, Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine, both with their own individual strengths and weaknesses: Chris had a larger inventory, started with the lighter and had more health, but started with no gun and couldn't use the lock pick, while Jill started with the gun and could use the lock pick, being the master of unlocking and all.

The Director's Cut added in a new gun, some new costumes, different placement for enemies, items, and camera angles, and a zombie version of STARS member Forest Speyer.

It was also remade for the Gamecube, from the ground up, with improved graphics, totally new voice acting, an expanded plot, and much, much more. The remake is considered to be the definitive version of the game by most.

Despite the laughable voice acting and cut scenes, it scared the hell out of me and a lot of others, and launched a series that has spawned several sequels, side games, a ground up remake, and two separate movie franchises, one animated and one live action, toys, albums, and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qAlyZXJm8Y

So let's start with the past. The next game in the series was Resident Evil 2, but the Resident Evil 2 that was released was a very different game than the one that was originally planned, now known among fans as Resident Evil 1.5. It was originally scheduled for a 1997 release.

While Leon Kennedy would survive the change, the original second character, Elza Walker, a college student completely unrelated to Chris Redfield, would not. Other changes were the police station was originally going to be much more realistic, the chief of police was a helpful protagonist instead of an unhinged villain, and there were several cut enemy types. Here's a video of all footage of the game:

Resident Evil 2 was released in 1998, for the original Playstation. It was later ported to the PC, Dreamcast, and N64. Many things changed from it's original, aborted version, but the core was the same. Instead of Elza Walker, you could now choose Claire Redfield, sister of Chris, who was looking for her missing brother. The police station remained, although in a converted, more stylized form, and William Birkin was still the main antagonist. While the formula stayed basically untouched from the previous games, larger environments, more enemies, and more side characters are why this game is largely considered the best of the series.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was released for the original Playstation in 1999, and was later ported to the Dreamcast and PC. The first half of the game takes place before Resident Evil 2, with the player once again controlling Jill Valentine. After a short section where you play as Carlos Olivera, you regain control of Jill 24 hours after the end of Resident Evil 2. The largest addition to the formula in this was the Nemesis, a Tyrant style enemy who would randomly show up and attack you. He could not be killed, he could not be stopped, and he could follow you from room to room, something no enemy in any of the previous games had done. The only escape was to damage him enough that he would go down temporarily, or run.

Developed alongside Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Resident Evil: Code Veronica was released for the Dreamcast in 2000. It was the first of the series to use fully polygonal backgrounds instead of the pre-rendered ones of past games. It also introduced camera pans, and zooms. Like 3, instead of choosing a character at the beginning you would switch back and forth between Claire and Chris as the story progressed. An updated version, Code Veronica X, was released a year later on PS2, which featured slightly improved graphics, and longer cut scenes.

Resident Evil Zero released in 2002, along with the remake and ports of the previous games on Gamecube, and is so far the only console release that has remained completely exclusive to one platform. In it you take the roles of both Rebeeca Chambers and Billy Coen in events that take place the day before the original Resident Evil. Changes included the entire 2 in 1 play style where you would control one character and usually be accompanied by the other, and the removal of storage crates. It's not very popular.

Resident Evil 4 is another case like Resident Evil 2, where the game was designed, then scrapped, but there were a staggering 4 different version of the game before it was finalized. There is not much known about the original version, except that it was considered too much of a departure from the core gameplay of the series, and was later turned into Devil May Cry. The second version, known as the Fog Version, introduced some of the things that would make their way into the final game, such as playing as Leon. It was to feature him infiltrating Umbrellas HQ and becoming infected with a virus. It was scrapped, for reasons unknown. The third version, known as The Hooked Man Version, retained Leon, but moved the setting to a haunted mansion, and involved ghosts and other more paranormal things than the series usually dealt with. This too was scrapped. There is almost no information about the fourth version, other than it was to feature zombies as enemies again, and was scrapped for being too formulaic.

When it was released in 2005, on the Gamecube, RE4 signaled a major change in the series, that is still an issue of contention today. Gone were the camera angles, the need to conserve ammo, and zombies. Instead there were open environments in a small village in Spain, an over the shoulder camera, a focus on action, and Las Plagas. Leon, Ada Wong, and Albert Wesker were the only hold overs from the original series. Whether you loved it or hate it, it was a huge success, is considered a stepping stone that lead to games like Gears of War, and changed the series forever. It was later ported to PS2 and Wii, where it featured (awesome) motion controls.

Resident Evil 5, released in 2009 for Xbox 360 and PS3, continued the style that RE4 introduced. It added a new co-op system, around which it was based, with one character controlling a returning Chris Redfield, and another (or AI) controlling Sheva, his partner. Also returning were Jill Valentine and Albert Wesker, and it did it's best to tie up several plot threads left hanging from all the previous games. It was set in Africa, and this led to a lot of controversy about racism from people who had no problem committing genocide against Spaniards a few years earlier. It also featured an interesting piece of DLC, Lost In Nightmare, that returned to the classic mansion, puzzles, etc. formula of the original games, complete with hidden camera angles that could be enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS_bGpe9qE8

E3 stuff!!! (Thanks Fereydun)

Leon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qdx3YdLNLY

Jake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIJpBNDJC_w

Chris:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJgFmABrNjA

Set 10 years after the first Resident Evil, Resident Evil 6 focuses on Leon in a small town in America named Tall Oaks, reminiscent of Raccoon City, and Chris in China, both dealing with separate bioterrorism events and outbreaks. The trailer also features an unidentified third character, who is a mercenary of some kind. Current speculation is that he is either Alex Wesker, the last of the Wesker brothers, or possibly HUNK. These are both just speculation at this point, and nothing has been confirmed.

The gameplay seems to be reminiscent of RE5, but with some added mechanics like cover, and possibly the ability to shoot while moving. There have also been shots of Leon holding two pistols at once, so it is very possible that there is a new dual weilding system.

RE6 is set for release on November 20th, 2012 in both NA and EU. It also has a logo that kind of looks like a woman blowing a giraffe.

For more in depth discussion of Resident Evil 6 check out this thread HERE

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Side Games

More info on stuff like the Survivors series, and other uh..."classics"...coming soon.

Resident Evil: Survivor (also known as Gun Survivor in Japan) was the first shot from Capcom for a first person style RE game. The Japanese and European versions allowed for the use of a light gun, making it somewhat similar to the later Wii exclusive Chronicles games, but the American version had no support for it.

You play as amnesiac Ark Thompson, inside of an Umbrella base where, surprise surprise, another outbreak has occurred. You have to fight your way out, facing familiar enemies like zombies, lickers, and multiple tyrants (including the new Hypnos-T Tyrant) and remember who you are in the process.

The game is generally looked back on as being not very good. It's also quite short, and can be beaten in less than an hour if you know what to do and where to go. Most of the enemy types were ripped straight out of RE2, with little to no changes made. The first person point of view was also clunky, especially in the American version where there was no light gun support.

Survivor 2: Code Veronica: X is...weird. First off, it was never officially released in America, being an exclusive to Japan and Europe. It's a retelling of the events of the non-survivor game Code Veronica: X, as implied by the title, but is also all a dream sequence that Claire is having after the events of that game. It is essentially the American Super Mario Bros. 2 of the Resident Evil series.

The game is a much more traditional FPS than the first Survivor, with the cross hairs being fixed to the middle of the screen instead of moving. It is also set on a time limit, so you have to hurry to complete the game successfully. I believe this game is remembered slightly more positively than the first Survivor game, but if I'm wrong about that call me on it and I'll edit this.

Another weird one, Resident Evil: Dead Aim takes place after the events of Raccoon City on a cruise ship. This location is, for some reason, a running one in RE games, as Gaiden for the GameBoy Color and the new 3DS game Revelations also both take place on one.

The game play switches up again, presenting most of the game from a third person point of view, until you enter combat when it switches to first person, once again using the light gun. Like it's predecessors, it was released to mixed reviews, but I believe it's generally thought of as the best of the three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko6RUeg6DjA

Operation Raccoon City is a side game being developed by former SOCOM devs Slant Six. It is a “what if” style retelling of the events of Resident Evil 2 and 3, focusing on an Umbrella Security squad, sent in to deal with the Raccoon City outbreak. It features, and gives the player the opportunity to kill (and therefore change the timeline) several important characters from this time frame, including Leon, Claire, Ada, Jill, and Carlos. HUNK is also going to be featured in the game.

It is a squad based game, and features six playable characters; Vector, Spectre, Beltway, Four Eyes, Lupo, and Bertha. Each of these characters has their own abilities:

Vector: Recon class, cloaking device
Spectre: Surveillance class, sharpshooter
Beltway: Explosives class
Four Eyes: Science class, able to reprogram BOWs
Lupo: Assault class
Bertha: Medic class, able to heal

There have been four multiplayer modes confirmed by Capcom:

Team attack: Team deathmatch.
Biohazard: Capture the flag.
Survivors : Each team competes with the other for survival while waiting for a rescue helicopter to arrive.
Heroes Mode: Reminiscent of VIP mode from Halo and other FPS games, you try and keep your teams hero alive while trying to kill the opposing teams hero.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is set for release on March 20th, 2012 in North America, and March 23rd, 2012 in EU

ADDENDUM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adoSULz-SwM&hd=1

OPERATION RACCOON CITY IS AN AWESOME GAME FOR BROS, BRO! CHECK OUT OUR SWEET GUITAR RIFFS AND HOW WE STOMP ON HEADS AND BLOOD IS ALL LIKE "PLAAAAAWWWWWW" ALL OVER THE PLACE! IT'S GONNA BE loving SICK, DUDE-BRO!

:doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwys0ee70x4

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D is just what it sounds like. A handheld, 3D version of The Mercenaries mini-game that was a part of Resident Evil 4 and 5. Playable characters include Chris Redfield, Albert Wesker, Hunk, Claire Redfield, Jack Krauser, Jill Valentine, Barry Burton and Rebecca Chambers. The maps are all from RE4 and RE5. YOU CANNOT DELETE/WIPE/CLEAR YOUR SAVE GAME IN THIS, AND THERE IS ONLY ONE SAVE SLOT, SO DO NOT BUY IT USED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5QTLtLr844

Resident Evil: Revelations, a second 3DS exclusive, is set between RE4 and RE5, focusing on Chris, Jill, and two new BSAA members that they are partnered with. They're after a terrorist group known as Veltro, who are behind some kind of T-Virus outbreak.

It is said to be a return to the classic style, like the Lost In Nightmare DLC for RE5 before it, with an emphasis on horror. It is scheduled to release in NA on Feb. 7, 2012. It has Resident Evil 4/5 style movement, and an optional aiming mode that lets you switch to first person, if you so choose. It also seems that you'll be able to move while aiming and shooting.

There is also the new Raid mode, which is a new multiplayer optional mode where you beat previously set high scores. It's not going to be a version of The Mercenaries, but something new. Confirmed playable characters are Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Parker Luciani, Jessica Sherawat, Quint Cetcham, Keith Lumley, Clive R. O'Brian, Raymond Vester and Morgan Lansdale.

If you pre-order from gamestop, you get this nifty 3DS case:

It also features the character find of 2012, a new horrible T-Virus monster made of nothing but breasts and hair:

For more in depth discussion of Revelations, check out this thread HERE

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 25, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Films, Books, & Other Terrible Spin Off Material

The book series, written by S.D. Perry, seem to have the most mixed reaction out of all the multimedia spin offs of the series. Most people agree that the ones like Caliban Cove and The Umbrella Conspiracy read like Rebecca Chambers fan fiction, and that Zero Hour is the same. Beyond that they have a reputation that ranges from being alright, to being complete poo poo. They attempt to expand and tie together the games, which is a herculean task in and of itself seeing as Capcom was obviously just making poo poo up as they go.

I, personally, think they did an alright job, but then again I haven't really read them since I was a teenager.

They are available at book stores near you, I'm sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdaOM1esz0

The Live action movies, starring Milla Jovovich as Alice, are widely considered to be pretty awful among fans of the games. They throw out pretty much all of the games story, leaving only Umbrella and a few of the characters from the series showing up as supporting roles. They have pretty much thrown out all semblance of being horror in favor of Milla Jovovich with super powers punching a zombie dog right in the face.

The newest film, Retribution, seems to be throwing everything they can think of into one film. It features not only the return of Jill Valentine, Carlos Olivera, Albert Wesker, and Rain Ocampo (Michelle Rodriguez' character from the first film) 2 of whom were pretty definitively killed off in previous films, it will also introduce Leon S. Kennedy, Barry Burton, and Ada Wong to the series. William Birkin is also supposedly in it, making the first time he's appeared in one of these films since a very small cameo at the end of the first film.

Personally, I love them for being as over the top and stupid as they are. They may be completely retarded, but they know that they are, and revel in it.

The first four are available on DVD, Blu Ray, and any download service you could think of (iTunes, Amazon, etc.), and the fifth is set to hit theaters on September 14th, 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ZPb_Qf7JY

The animated films also seem to have kind of a mixed reaction. The first, Degeneration, takes place after RE4 and is kind of the continuing adventures of Leon S. Kennedy. It features classic T-Virus zombies and a William Birkin-esque G-Virus character.

The sequel, Damnation, has been known about for years now, and seems to be a direct sequel to Degeneration.

Degeneration is available on DVD, Blu Ray, and digital formats now. Damnation is scheduled for releases sometime in 2012, possibly around the same release date as Resident Evil 6.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 21, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Alright! Nice to see a new thread what with the announcement of RE6 and Revelations/ORC coming in a couple months time.

Speaking of ORC, the achievements for it just came out. S Rank PLUS?! :suicide:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Having just played through the demo for RE: Revelations, I can already tell it's gonna be pretty loving amazing. Maybe my new favourite RE game? Doubt it, but the production values are pretty crazy for a handheld game.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I might be the only one, but I loved the Outbreak games and I would pay money to be able to, say, buy a PC version and play them online again.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Slant Six aren't really former devs of Socom. They were commissioned to make Socom: Confrontation (which is awful) and some portable Socom games while Zipper pushed out MAG. Frankly, I feel bad for the RE fans looking forward to Raccoon City. I hope it's good, but I seriously doubt it. I think y'all be lucky if that game even runs on day 1.

Since I'm already bitching, Paul Anderson (RE movie director) has not once directed a decent movie. gently caress him, and his ugly rear end wife. She can't act, and he can't direct. It's a combo from hell. With that said, nicely put together thread :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

rizuhbull posted:

Since I'm already bitching, Paul Anderson (RE movie director) has not once directed a decent movie. gently caress him, and his ugly rear end wife. She can't act, and he can't direct. It's a combo from hell. With that said, nicely put together thread :colbert:

Mortal Kombat is an amazing film, and Even Horizon is legitimately a good horror movie and probably the best Dead Space movie we're ever likely to get :colbert:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

rizuhbull posted:

Hey now, we all agree she's a poo poo actress but the reason she's in those movies is because she's pretty! Don't take that away from her.

I wish they would reboot the series so I can get my b-movie RE4 adaptation, but they make too much money. At this point they're not even dumb fun like the first two films. The last movie was incredibly boring.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

By the way, if anyone would like me to include the other failed RE games (the 2 or 3 iterations of 4, and any others) let me know what information you'd like covered in those sections, and I'll put them in.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

rizuhbull posted:

TheJoker138 posted:

Mortal Kombat is an amazing film, and Even Horizon is legitimately a good horror movie and probably the best Dead Space movie we're ever likely to get :colbert:

Somehow, I agree with everything both of you have said. I'm not even sure if that is possible, but I do.

I absolutely know this won't be the case, but I so badly want that to be Hunk in the RE6 trailer. It's going to wind up being some lame rear end original character thrown into the mix and you all know it. :(

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
That 360 operation raccoon city cover is loving awful.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

OK Octopus posted:

I absolutely know this won't be the case, but I so badly want that to be Hunk in the RE6 trailer. It's going to wind up being some lame rear end original character thrown into the mix and you all know it. :(

Well yeah, Hunk's like some angry sounding grizzled blonde guy or something from what I've seen. Don't worry, I'm certain he'll be in whatever kind of mini-game they cook up for RE6.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
I have to say I always enjoyed the outbreak games. I found it really fun to play on multiplayer.

Also im suuuuper excited for the new 'Racoon City' (i forget the name) game coming out where you play as the 4 mercs during the original outbreak.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
So if Resident Evil 6 is set 10 years after Raccoon City, that places it in 2008, which is a year before Resident Evil 5, right?

This means we still have a chance of seeing a Leon/Wesker ham off!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ein Bear posted:

So if Resident Evil 6 is set 10 years after Raccoon City, that places it in 2008, which is a year before Resident Evil 5, right?

I have a feeling that RE is working on a sliding timeline here, and that RE1 now took place in 2002.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

cat doter posted:

That 360 operation raccoon city cover is loving awful.

It's about par for the course. Most of the covers look like something a high school student would come up with in an intro to graphics class.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
So, I just picked up the 3DS mercenaries game and decided to try it online. For some reason I got absolutely no points, even though we racked up a 70 kill combo. Why is this?

Also Krauser is awesome.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
We were talking about what constitutes as scary in the past thread. I definitely think that Resident Evil's remake is definitely scary as all balls and the only game in the franchise to earn that claim.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

citizenlowell posted:

It's about par for the course. Most of the covers look like something a high school student would come up with in an intro to graphics class.

Here in PAL-Land, the Resi series has some pretty awesome boxarts:

Think we're getting the same lovely one as you guys for Raccoon City though :(

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
Leon :swoon:

I haven't played 5 at all but I'll probably play and enjoy 6. Please, no stupid AI partner though! :(

FailingYeti
Aug 8, 2010
I actually enjoyed the first two movies quite a bit. However the next two just pretty much nosedived into the dirt in quite a spectacular fashion. I think the worst and most offensive thing about them is the pandering.

Make a movie where only thing in common with the games is zombies and the title...Fine.

Take the movies in an almost completely different direction and timeline than the games...Okay.

Through in ever goddamn name drop and character cameo that you can in the most ridiculous way imaginable...gently caress You!

It's pretty much like that in the third and fourth movie. Here's Chris Redfield...let's say his name 19 times so you know. Just one after the other.

Though the trailer for the new one looks deliciously ridiculous. So count me in for that one. (I am a consumer whore.)

I haven't read the books in quite a while. I remember the novelizations for the first and second games being surprisingly well done and the Umbrella Conspiracy being alright even if in the next book it was almost completely ret-conned the other ones just suck absolute balls from what I remember.

The Littlest Man
Jun 24, 2005

(Duke, who would want this)

Ein Bear posted:

Here in PAL-Land, the Resi series has some pretty awesome boxarts:

That Resident Evil 4 cover is really great. I always felt like ol' Captain Burlap never got enough love :(

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So glad a thread popped up for RE. I've been meaning to go back and play all the ones I haven't finished (basically all of them).

While I'm here, do any goons happen to have the 360 version of RE:5? I rented it when it came out and played through most of it by myself (I think I stopped after the swamp and somewhere in that temple thing with the fire traps) and I never did finish due to the brain dead A.I. If anyone would be willing to co-op the rest of it, that'd be awesome. I'll have to wait for Gamefly to send it to me again, but I'd really like to finish it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I am a huge RE plot nerd, so if anyone has any questions, I can probably answer them.

Ein Bear posted:

There's some confusion about whether the game is 10 years or 15 years after the Raccoon City disaster. If it's ten years, that means RE6 is set in the same damned year as RE5, which means Chris is having a very eventful time of it.

I really doubt there's a sliding time scale in effect. It's far more likely that somebody made a typo along the line.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

FailingYeti posted:

Last two lovely movies

I've bought the series because they're so wince-worthy but in a funny sort of way. Afterlife might as well had been called, 'BUY ME IN 3D DAMMIT' and the fact a supposedly non-superhuman character is still running around doing insane poo poo.

Personally I wouldn't be 100% surprised that ORC will have some fundamental flaw that will make it a okay game instead of a good one.

Just from what I saw of that quick 15 minute demo I can already tell that A. Running out of ammo so often, and B. Normal humans being shot in the head thirty times and not dying, are both going be annoying.

:allears: I'm still going to buy the game because it's going to have to tide me over until 6 is out. Dammit.

Hylianbunny
Dec 31, 2007

TG: oh ok time travels involved
TG: thats all you needed to say everythings cool and under control then

Quasipox posted:

So glad a thread popped up for RE. I've been meaning to go back and play all the ones I haven't finished (basically all of them).

While I'm here, do any goons happen to have the 360 version of RE:5? I rented it when it came out and played through most of it by myself (I think I stopped after the swamp and somewhere in that temple thing with the fire traps) and I never did finish due to the brain dead A.I. If anyone would be willing to co-op the rest of it, that'd be awesome. I'll have to wait for Gamefly to send it to me again, but I'd really like to finish it.

I'd be interested in going back through it sometime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheJoker138 posted:

Soldier was a pretty good film too. PWSA is just a loving awful writer and insists and writing all the films he directs nowadays.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Quasipox posted:

I'd be up for it, I've only played through once and would like to get some achievements I missed.

Edit: Curious, how's the 360 version of RE4? I've been wanting to replay RE4 but I know the Wii version is going to look like rear end on my new TV, did it port well?

Reive fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 22, 2012

Rothgil
May 12, 2008

Reive posted:

I'd be up for it, I've only played through once and would like to get some achievements I missed.

Edit: Curious, how's the 360 version of RE4? I've been wanting to replay RE4 but I know the Wii version is going to look like rear end on my new TV, did it port well?

Only thing they did was increase the resolution of the game. The textures are still low res. It looks nicer than a wii or gc version when played on an HDTV but not by much.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Rothgil posted:

Only thing they did was increase the resolution of the game. The textures are still low res. It looks nicer than a wii or gc version when played on an HDTV but not by much.

Well I know how it looks in comparison , but I mainly meant technically, like if it was botched like the PS2 or PC versions.

Shining Finger
Jul 23, 2011

Reive posted:

Well I know how it looks in comparison , but I mainly meant technically, like if it was botched like the PS2 or PC versions.

Last I heard, it was supposed to be based on the Wii release. Though the Gametrailers review claimed there was now some slow-down where there wasn't before, though they reviewed the PS3 version, so I'm not sure if it also applies to the 360 version...

I really wish they had added Move support for the PS3 version. Made the shooting gallery bits a lot less annoying.

Quasipox posted:

Don't know if our time zones are gonna be compatible, but I'm up for some co-op if you're looking for a partner. Just don't expect much skill from me, though. Been a while since I last played RE5...

GT: Junker87

Rothgil
May 12, 2008

Reive posted:

I'm playing it right now and it's perfectly fine. Haven't seen any slowdown either.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Do we know if Operation Raccoon City will have co-op? To clarify, I'm talking about the kind of co-op where you player the main game together as opposed to playing a separate multi-player game mode (such as horde mode).

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

For what it's worth, I have both versions (I'm a whore for RE4) and if you have the choice I'd say to go for the PS3 version over the 360 one. The controls feel slightly off on the 360, as if there's something a bit wrong with the dead zone on the sick - nothing gamebreaking, but it's a bit of an annoyance.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Is Resi 4 worth persevering with? I only played it briefly on a friends Gamecube and couldn't get on with it at all, the controls were just awful although that might have been the gamecube controller. Will I have an easier time of it on PS3?

I really wish they'd give a HD rerelease to the RE1 remake though. I loved that game.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Spalec posted:

Is Resi 4 worth persevering with? I only played it briefly on a friends Gamecube and couldn't get on with it at all, the controls were just awful although that might have been the gamecube controller. Will I have an easier time of it on PS3?

I really wish they'd give a HD rerelease to the RE1 remake though. I loved that game.

If the aiming is throwing you off, the Wii version has pointer controls for aiming. If the movement is what is annoying you, then a change of platform will not help.

There will likely never be a HD rerelease of REmake because of the games use of prerendered backgrounds.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Spalec posted:

The control scheme is interesting. It's actually pretty versatile once you get the hang of it, but it can seem clunky the first time you play. I'd say stick with it-for the length, content, and Leon Kennedy, it's a better value than most new games coming out these days. Plus, you can pull up The Dark Id's LP as a sort of walkthrough, which makes any run of the game that much more hilarious.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I've played every single iteration of RE4. Gamecube, PS2, Wii, and a little bit of Xbox. The Wii one is definitely the superior version. It's really not even close.

I would pay a lot of money for an REOutbreak re-release on LIVE Arcade or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Matt Cruea posted:

I've played every single iteration of RE4. Gamecube, PS2, Wii, and a little bit of Xbox. The Wii one is definitely the superior version. It's really not even close.

I would pay a lot of money for an REOutbreak re-release on LIVE Arcade or something.
The PS3 version is almost 1:1 with the Wii version, optional waggle controller support included.