Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
(Crossposting from SAD.)

There's a place in Reno NV called the Animal Ark that is a sanctuary for animals that cannot survive out in the wild anymore, for whatever reason. Some animals were pets and got de-clawed (lynx with severed feet tendons), some were badly injured and couldn't survive otherwise, others were show animals and whatnot.

Anyway, have some cool photos :D

Yawn by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Scratch by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Naptime by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Foxy by sulakkalus, on Flickr

I wasn't able to unfocus the chain link fence on this shot. It's a shame because it could have been super awesome. I still like it.

Cheetah by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Cheetah2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

I went ahead and bought a platinum membership to the place for $125. Free access to everything, special invite-only events, and they're also going to have photo blinds for cheetah runs. They load up a dummy animal with meatballs and send it on a zipline at 60mph for the cheetahs to chase.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Drewski posted:

Cheetah by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Great photo! It's a shame about the chain-link fence but I still really like the photo. I was shooting at the Toronto Zoo a couple of months ago and started talking to this really old guy who had a ton of awesome gear and he said the most important part of getting good photos at a sanctuary or zoo is to keep the background in mind. I've noticed in a few of your photos that you have fencing or buildings in the background, and I know it's hard to get around in a zoo-type location but maybe just something to think about related to your composition!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Drewski posted:

Cheetah2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

I went ahead and bought a platinum membership to the place for $125. Free access to everything, special invite-only events, and they're also going to have photo blinds for cheetah runs. They load up a dummy animal with meatballs and send it on a zipline at 60mph for the cheetahs to chase.

This picture is awesome and that cheetah run sounds cool as hell.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

wizard sticks posted:

Great photo! It's a shame about the chain-link fence but I still really like the photo. I was shooting at the Toronto Zoo a couple of months ago and started talking to this really old guy who had a ton of awesome gear and he said the most important part of getting good photos at a sanctuary or zoo is to keep the background in mind. I've noticed in a few of your photos that you have fencing or buildings in the background, and I know it's hard to get around in a zoo-type location but maybe just something to think about related to your composition!

Thanks! I agree 100% - I had the hardest time composing shots here because there are limited places to shoot from. You basically get two options - shoot through the fence or shoot through plexiglass. The angles on the plexiglass shots were really bad because they were reflecting the ambient light, so I had to go through the fence... I don't have tons of telephoto gear - just my 70-200 F4, so I was fairly restricted in my options.

And unfortunately they don't try to 'disguise' the fencing at all. It would be cool if they could! I can't freaking wait for the cheetah runs.

DJExile posted:

This picture is awesome and that cheetah run sounds cool as hell.

I am so stoked about being able to go, I had no idea Reno had this kind of thing. The cheetah run is really good for their health - cheetahs in captivity tend to get digestive issues and it appears that doing the runs keeps those issues at bay. Also, they take them out of the fenced areas... :D :D So no chain link fences in the shots!!!! SO EXCITED.

You can expect to see way more photos from me once the place opens for the year. This weekend was a special event.

Also, freaking baby cheetah coming in the next two months.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3053643272810&set=a.1047061069509.8815.1615157439&type=1&theater

And another edit: I'm considering getting a 1.4x extender. Not sure if I want to start jumping into huge lenses and that should at least give me considerably more range.

edit the third:

Cheetah 3 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

arctic fox 2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

fox by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Drewski fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 20, 2012

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Here's a couple pictures from my recent outings to The Living Desert in Palm Desert, CA. Taken with a Canon 7D and Sigma 50-200.

Living Desert, Feb 2012-279-Edit.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Living Desert, Feb 2012-215-Edit.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

And two from the San Diego Wild Animal Park, taken with my new Canon 70-200 f4L.

San Diego Wild Animal Park Feb 2012-012-Edit.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

San Diego Wild Animal Park Feb 2012-066-Edit.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
^^^ Nice Living Desert shots. I went there on Christmas Eve and was disappointed because nothing wanted to come out.

Went up to a local aquarium this weekend, this is probably my best shot. I wish there were actual free roaming animals in Texas (other than deer).

Dwarf Caiman by faltion, on Flickr

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Faltion posted:

^^^ Nice Living Desert shots. I went there on Christmas Eve and was disappointed because nothing wanted to come out.
Yeah. This was my third time there and it's the first time that everything came out. It was late in the day and it was cool out. That might have been the reason. By the way, cool alligator (?) shot.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I found a wildlife the other day.

DSC_1266.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
My photos don't compare with the quality in this thread at all, but I have javelina!

Delicious cactus?

Curious youngster (the mom woofed and rattled her teeth at me after this).

Ow, cactus spines.

Please forgive the noob question, but I have an old telephoto lens on loan from a friend, and I'm getting chromatic aberratiowned. Should I shoot less wide-open (like I was all the time), or not at midday? What's the best way to minimize what looks like red-green shift out of an '80s sci-fi flick?

Thanks for the wildlife eye candy!

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Ghost Cactus posted:

Please forgive the noob question, but I have an old telephoto lens on loan from a friend, and I'm getting chromatic aberratiowned. Should I shoot less wide-open (like I was all the time), or not at midday? What's the best way to minimize what looks like red-green shift out of an '80s sci-fi flick?

Thanks for the wildlife eye candy!

Cool pics :D What lens are you using that's giving you trouble? Maybe applying some of these solutions can help:

1. Stop down your aperture. (You don't need to be shooting at a low F number if you're there at midday anyway, and I'd rather have a sharp subject than a fuzzy one with super bokeh).
2. Avoid both extremes of your lens. (Sometimes not an option of course...)
3. Center your subject and crop your shot in post. (Chromatic Aberration is more pronounced around the edges of your photo than in the middle)
4. Frame your shot to avoid high contrast situations, which is simpler than:
5. Time your shot to avoid high contrast situations. (Midday light is harsh but sometimes we don't have the option :) )

And then there's always photoshop correction. Not perfect but it helps.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Thanks, and those tips are super helpful. I'm printing them and bringing them with me when I go harass the wildlife. :)

It's this, but without the macro gear shift thing, and my camera is a humble D40.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There are at least 6 different versions of that lens, ranging in quality from excellent down to "meh". Chances are you're using one of the mid-range ones, which are generally pretty good (it's really only the most recent lens, constant f/4.5 aperture, that kind of sucks). They are prone to chromatic aberation, as you've noticed, but are generally pretty sharp. Some don't need special maneuvering to go into Macro mode, you just focus all the way nearest when at 70mm.

I'm impressed you got that close to those critters - even on a crop, 210mm isn't a huge amount of reach. Nicely done!

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Thanks! :) And thanks for the info about the lens, I'll have to practice with Macro mode. The javelina here are generally pretty chill (and very nearsighted), but they spook easily. I was wandering through their herd while they were munching cactus, and two kids were being very quiet and watching them from behind me. Then an older gentleman came up and said "they're pretty tame, aren't they?" quite loudly, and they all ran off. :(

Yesterday I wasn't nearly as sneaky. There was a lovely group of black-throated sparrows but I scared them.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

I have to assume everyone loves squirrels. They're so much fun!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Congratulations on capturing the rare antlered squirrel.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Steeltalon posted:

I have to assume everyone loves squirrels. They're so much fun!
As a Brit, I'm legally obliged to disparage the now common but non-native Eastern grey squirrel, and pine for the displaced, native and considerably cuter Red.

http://500px.com/photo/4002290 (sadly not my photo. I haven't seen one in years)

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Ghost Cactus posted:

My photos don't compare with the quality in this thread at all, but I have javelina!

Delicious cactus?

I love these even if they are not the greatest ever. Javelina are the reason I bought a DSLR. I missed some great pictures of them because I have a crappy point and shoot. Now I just need to get out there and get some pictures of them.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Squirrels are so bug-eyed. This little dude had good reason, I was chasing him around and around a 7' tall stump and my two dogs were milling around.

Watcher by createttea, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We really should rename this thread to The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Dorkroom > Wildlife Photography: Mostly Just Pictures of Squirrels

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Here's a snake from the Vancouver Aquarium or possibly the Toronto Zoo. They both had green tree pythons.

Green Python by createttea, on Flickr

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

HookShot posted:

We really should rename this thread to The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Dorkroom > Wildlife Photography: Mostly Just Pictures of Squirrels
Few animals pose as well as squirrels. It's like saying photos of attractive people shouldn't be allowed in the portraits thread.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Few animals pose as well as squirrels. It's like saying photos of attractive people shouldn't be allowed in the portraits thread.
I'm not complaining, I like squirrels, just commenting on the fact that there are a lot of them in here :3:

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

HookShot posted:

I'm not complaining, I like squirrels, just commenting on the fact that there are a lot of them in here :3:
And when you said that I realized, for all of the zoos, parks, and other wildlife opportunities in San Diego, I love squirrels. I was just around San Simeon taking pictures of elephant seals. My favorite picture? A squirrel.

Bialosky
Jan 29, 2006

"Washing machine?"
Hey cool look a wildlife thread in the Dorkroom! I seem to be fascinated with typical animals so here are some shots from around Missouri.

as an eagle I can roll with this... by schmoopybee, on Flickr

...until the he heard me by schmoopybee, on Flickr

missouri whitetail fawn pt. 1 by schmoopybee, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Finally had a chance to play with my new-to-me supertele, and chanced across the perfect (in my opinion) big-lens-test-subject: a porcupine in a tree. They're slow, they can't fly or jump away, they're very nearsighted and dopey enough to not worry too much about most potential threats anyway. Too bad the tree branches tend to get in the way, but the bright side of that is a chance to see the depth of field at different apertures.
Takumar 500mm f/4.5. Uncropped.

SD 091 Porcupine 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 091 Porcupine 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Here's a snake from the Vancouver Aquarium or possibly the Toronto Zoo. They both had green tree pythons.

Green Python by createttea, on Flickr

I have a picture of what I assume is the same snake from a number of years ago.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

I love these even if they are not the greatest ever. Javelina are the reason I bought a DSLR. I missed some great pictures of them because I have a crappy point and shoot. Now I just need to get out there and get some pictures of them.

Thanks! I took the pictures at a state park, so the javelina are wild but they don't mind people as much as some might. (They'll still rattle their tusks at you if you get too close. That's scary.)

ExecuDork posted:

Finally had a chance to play with my new-to-me supertele, and chanced across the perfect (in my opinion) big-lens-test-subject: a porcupine in a tree. They're slow, they can't fly or jump away, they're very nearsighted and dopey enough to not worry too much about most potential threats anyway. Too bad the tree branches tend to get in the way, but the bright side of that is a chance to see the depth of field at different apertures.
Takumar 500mm f/4.5. Uncropped.

SD 091 Porcupine 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 091 Porcupine 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

These are very cool.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Pablo Bluth posted:

As a Brit, I'm legally obliged to disparage the now common but non-native Eastern grey squirrel, and pine for the displaced, native and considerably cuter Red.

http://500px.com/photo/4002290 (sadly not my photo. I haven't seen one in years)

They imported those bastards to Britain? They displaced most of our native squirrel species on the west coast of the US as well.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ghost Cactus posted:

These are very cool.
Thanks! I'm annoyed I never managed to get a good shot of the eye, but on the other hand, how often do you see a porcupine's feet?

Hopefully next weekend's explorations will yield some more wildlife. I saw some deer in a field just around sunset, but there was no safe place to park the car and get set up on them. Plus, deer are boring and ridiculously common around here, there will be other opportunities. I also stopped for a break at a Ducks Unlimited-sponsored wetland area, definately going back there in springtime.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Squirrels, you say? :haw:

These are just crappy P&S pics, and sorry for the weird colours on that last one, apparently the camera was dying.

Bialosky
Jan 29, 2006

"Washing machine?"

WierdFishes posted:

Good lord. Is this a pet or is this guy just used to being fed trail snacks all the time?

i am sad because i am tagged by schmoopybee, on Flickr

E: oops link

Bialosky fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 1, 2012

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Bialosky posted:

Good lord. Is this a pet or is this guy just used to being fed trail snacks all the time?

Chipmunks and squirrels on top of mountains are usually used to being hand fed. I worked at a scout camp so most of the chipmunks were like that when they were not busy chewing their way through your backpack looking for peanut butter.

Here is a quick snapshot from Yellowstone. This guy was moving fast.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Bialosky posted:

Totally used to it. This particular summit is the closest to a major city and easy to do, so it get tons of traffic. This day saw over 50 people make the summit.

Hilariously, we weren't even feeding him; he just forced himself on us, expecting treats.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

WierdFishes posted:

Squirrels, you say? :haw:

These are just crappy P&S pics, and sorry for the weird colours on that last one, apparently the camera was dying.

I'm pretty sure those are chipmunks.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Chipmunks are squirrels. That is the thing about using common names. They are not very descriptive.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 3, 2012

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Atticus_1354 posted:

Chipmunks are squirrels. That is the thing about using common names. They are not very descriptive.

Did not know that. I've never heard anyone call them that, the distinction is always there.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Did not know that. I've never heard anyone call them that, the distinction is always there.

Most people don't call them that, but they are all in the same family so it is close enough.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

torgeaux posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden-mantled_ground_squirrel

Chipmunks are much smaller and have pointed little noses. But the GMGS's have the same colour pattern, so it's easy to confuse them!

Syndromic Impostor
Mar 13, 2008
Virginia Zoo

Lazy tiger by Ztyrp, on Flickr

Fearsome tiger by Ztyrp, on Flickr

Sleeping red panda by Ztyrp, on Flickr

Portrait of an Orangutang by Ztyrp, on Flickr

San Diego Zoo

Lazing Polar Bear by Ztyrp, on Flickr

Portrait of a Meerkat by Ztyrp, on Flickr

Sleeping Lizard by Ztyrp, on Flickr

Adorable Lizard by Ztyrp, on Flickr

Obligatory Squirrel

Squirrel I by Ztyrp, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Here are some howler monkeys. I zoomed with my feet, but these guys aren't mauling monkeys - they're just loud.

Scan-120229-0005.jpg by richardhkirkando, on Flickr

Scan-120228-0025.jpg by richardhkirkando, on Flickr

FasterThanLight fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 3, 2012