Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobot
Apr 19, 2003

BioTech posted:

Is that in Nairobi National Park? I swear I have a really similar shot going up that hill. Maybe not, if I remember correctly the whole country had similar terrain. I can attest to the fact that those vans are, in fact, awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobot
Apr 19, 2003
When I spent some time in Kenya all I had was the 70-200/2.8L with a Canon 1.4x extender (on an APS-C camera, which gave me a little more reach). I was pretty happy with that setup, and the 1.4x only took me down to an f4, which was more than enough for the daylight I had.

Today I own the 400mm f5.6L, which I think would have been good to have around, at least for shooting some of the birds and smaller mammals that I came across in Africa. The f5.6L is obscenely lightweight in comparison to the faster and longer options available, being only slightly longer and about the same weight as my 70-200. For traveling, especially by air, that's huge for me. The faster 400mm and 600mm are not only 10x the cost (not sure about rental), but also both nearly 3x the weight and considerably fatter/bigger.

The 5.6L is also super sharp even with the 1.4x and because it's so lightweight, I don't miss the IS at all. If IS is a must, there is a 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS, though you've got the lower end of that range covered already, and it's not as sharp at 400 as the fixed 400.