Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dragonfly by torgeaux, on Flickr

Big One by torgeaux, on Flickr

rats by torgeaux, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

WierdFishes posted:

Squirrels, you say? :haw:

These are just crappy P&S pics, and sorry for the weird colours on that last one, apparently the camera was dying.

I'm pretty sure those are chipmunks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Atticus_1354 posted:

Chipmunks are squirrels. That is the thing about using common names. They are not very descriptive.

Did not know that. I've never heard anyone call them that, the distinction is always there.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Oh gently caress that poo poo. I like living...

Please tell me that bear photo was taken from like a 800mm lens.

There's a fence in the picture.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Good week for lizards.

Wary Lizard by torgeaux, on Flickr

Dont Look Back by torgeaux, on Flickr

About 5 Feet Long by torgeaux, on Flickr

Close Big One by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Rat Snake3 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Rat Snake2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ghost Cactus posted:

Holistic Detective, those are nice! Very handsome horse indeed.

I've been unintentionally stalking a black-tailed jackrabbit. I keep seeing it eating in the evening. I think I might try to intentionally stalk her (him?!) because I really like how she runs.

DSC_4171 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_4170 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

DSC_5486 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Warm up those first two.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Rat in a Hurry by torgeaux, on Flickr

Young Banana Rat by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I take my camera everywhere. Sunday morning, driving for bagels? Camera. Couple Sundays ago, it was threatening rain, and I was up early, left camera in house for bagel run. So?

IMAG0015 by torgeaux, on Flickr

IMAG0016 by torgeaux, on Flickr

My HTC is not as good as my 5DIII with the 24-105 I carry as my walk around lens. Got a short video, too, of him capturing and killing the squirrel. Lots of good opportunities if I'd had a real camera, or even a camera where push shutter button to photo wasn't apparently 10 seconds.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Photogenic Iguana by torgeaux, on Flickr

Definitely a Dinosaur by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Brave (stupid) Squirrel by torgeaux, on Flickr

And, now we know why our bird feeder is always empty.

Thief by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Fart Amplifier posted:

Sure, let me just approach this strong wild animal which basically has knives for hair. What could go wrong?

The one I just posted was one of three in my yard. I walked within 6 feet to get to my truck. They're not shy around people and they can gently caress you up if they get aggressive.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The elk are down at the lake in Evergreen.

Elk5 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Elk2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Elk3 by torgeaux, on Flickr

And the squirrels are out in my bird feeder, too.

Distrustful Seed Thief by torgeaux, on Flickr

Another Seed Thief by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 8, 2014

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

InternetJunky posted:

Trying to motivate myself to process more of my Kenya photos.

Jesus, that shot should be motivation enough.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

InternetJunky posted:

More Kenya spam

Hyenas got the tip of this poor elephant's trunk :( She seemed to be doing ok without it thankfully.

Sure, make me start thinking about spending the money it would take to get me a safari trip. You just keep posting killers.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Young Bull by torgeaux, on Flickr

Coming out of the aspen by torgeaux, on Flickr

pulled back the magenta. Can't see much difference, myself.

Young Bull Post-Process by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 30, 2014

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Fart Amplifier posted:

This is a great pic, but it seems to me to be tinted a bit too much magenta. This happens to me when there's a lot of foliage and the AWB tries to make it less green.

I'm not great with greens and reds together (color blind). I'll try to pull it back a bit on a reshot at post. Thanks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Slavvy posted:

I find it a little worrying that a deer is able to get that close to a building. Do they go through your trash and stuff?

Disclaimer: never seen a deer.

They suck. I have bear, mountain lion, deer and elk in my neighborhood. The bears will sometimes get in the trash, and the mountain lion could take one of my dogs, but the loving deer destroy any garden plants, and any bird feeders every day. I don't like hunting, but I'm ready to start throwing sharp tools at the deer. My hunting dog (English pointer) loving frolicks with them instead of chasing them off. Fear the deer.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

:3: We're going to need to see some pictures of this. Video, too. :3:

Sure, spread my shame. I'll work on it, but it's late night photography.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

:3: We're going to need to see some pictures of this. Video, too. :3:

No video. He was trying to get the drat thing to play when it "attacked" him (lowered antlers and took one step towards him). He fled, and is now terrified. This picture was us forcing him to move into the yard after the deer, who ran when I approached.

The Dog Goes Hunting by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Bison Family by B. B., on Flickr

Bison by B. B., on Flickr

Tourists2 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pablo Bluth posted:

Yellowstone? I should get to tick that off my bucket list next year. Also Flickr's auto-tag seems to think they're elephants!

Yeah. Only wildlife was bison. Elk don't count, since they come into my yard. The grizzly and wolf were rescues at the center.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pablo Bluth posted:

I see reports have just come out that a yellowstone worker was killed by a grizzly
http://www.yellowstonegate.com/2015/08/hiker-found-dead-in-yellowstone-was-attacked-by-grizzly/

We drove past that trail head when he was there. Didn't find out til later, of course.

I was shooting with a 300mm, and people walked right past me.

edit: Except the extreme closeup. That was when I was in the car, and he was on the road as we drove by.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Snuck Up on Me by B. B., on Flickr

Practice Fighting by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

InternetJunky posted:

I found a bear yesterday

Sweet. exif?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

Squirrels are rats with furry tails. No mammal is truly vegetarian (mother's milk pedantry aside), anything furry will happily have blood running down its face given the opportunity. Chipmunks apparently are important predators of Warblers, and high-grade by eating the brains first when they raid a nest with hatchlings. Cute and Fuzzy is highly compatible with Bloodthirsty.

The same goes for most birds - they're just the descendents of dinosaurs too hard-core to be killed by something as trifling as a world-shaking comet impact.

I'm always surprised people don't realize that squirrels eat meat. They'll eat bugs, birds, mice, smaller squirrels, etc... The same surprise when people learn chickens will eat a mouse whole.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Having to wrangle the local elk herd is dicey sometimes. Had to move along this guy and his gals from the elementary school parking lot. The second is a video of him chasing one of the ladies from the rushes.

Bull, with foilage by B. B., on Flickr

Bull Chase by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's 6am and I'm about to head in to Yellowstone looking for some elk at sunrise....

Go get 'em. Remember, the ladies can gently caress you up just as much as the bulls, so be careful.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I hate to follow InternetJunky, because, drat!

Here, you bastard, have a picture from my front loving yard.

Unbalanced Buck by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 3, 2016

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Is the sharpening too aggressive?

Deer Landscape by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Evergreen Traffic Jam by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Pretty Ugly by B. B., on Flickr

Melancholy by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dick Trauma posted:

Please give this depressed grizzly a pat on the head.

Ignore those claws. They're just for show.

With the temps in Denver going way over 100 this week, I think he'd just sit in that cool water and watch me. Not worth the movement.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Big Family by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

InternetJunky posted:

I continue with my trend of going through old photos.

Sounds awesome, please tell more stories about what you're doing. Also, cool pictures.

drat, how did that not make the first cut?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Pffft. Elephants. What about giant yard rats?

I'm Trying to Eat Here by B. B., on Flickr

Bucky in the Yard by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

Bad time of year for him to be chilling near humans.

The local herd has two males (him and another his size) and 6 to 8 females. They come up and eat my chicken's feed. My neighbor has "harvested" one from his hot tub. Finished soaking while it bled out in his back yard.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
One of the local elk herds. Doesn't usually come up to my altitude, but there they were.

Three Bulls The Herd and Their Boat by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Derp by B. B., on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

I said this out loud when I saw your picture, before I scrolled down far enough to see the name.

It's kind of on the nose.