Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

BioTech posted:

First time I ever used a DSLR so this was all in auto mode and no work done to the pictures after. Following this trip I was hooked and I bought my own camera within a year.

Looking back now I know there are so many things I could have done to improve these shots. I didn't know how to put the lens to manual focus for instance, so with the leopard I was struggling with the servo motor trying to force the focus by hand. Total nightmare that left me really frustrated back then but I can only laugh at now. The plan is to go back next summer, but I doubt I'll ever get a sight such as the hyenas again. Very happy with the grazing herd and the last elephant though, both shots are just so crisp.

I probably have tons from that trip if anyone is interested in safari stuff, but only these I can access here at my work.

Those are great - where did you go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Those vehicles are hilarious! Kenya is absolutely beautiful - I was in Nairobi a few years ago but didn't get a chance to safari. I am absolutely going back though.

I just got back from a week in Zambia at South Luangwa NP. Although we were there during the initial days of rainy season, the park was still flush with animals and it didn't rain once [we went Dec It was unbelievable. 26-31st]. South Luangwa is very restricted in that you cannot be in the park during certain times of the day and you always must have a licensed guide, however we had open vehicles and were allowed to take a walking safari (which the park is famous for). I am definitely going back sometime during the dry season.

I haven't fully edited my photos yet but am hoping to get to it within the next week. Once they are done I will post some up! We saw thousands of elephants, giraffe, hippos, crocs, and on our last day we saw 5 lions in a standoff with a group of elephants (baby in tow) as well as a fully grown leopard on the hunt, and then her two leopard cubs playing! It was unreal!

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Drewski posted:

Cheetah by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Great photo! It's a shame about the chain-link fence but I still really like the photo. I was shooting at the Toronto Zoo a couple of months ago and started talking to this really old guy who had a ton of awesome gear and he said the most important part of getting good photos at a sanctuary or zoo is to keep the background in mind. I've noticed in a few of your photos that you have fencing or buildings in the background, and I know it's hard to get around in a zoo-type location but maybe just something to think about related to your composition!