Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
I'm in the 52 book challenge trying to listen to 30 audiobooks this year

Here's my Goodreads account.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3602618-fritzov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

This site doesn't seem to understand the difference between scifi and fantasy. Or am I just not abusing the organization tools properly?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This site doesn't seem to understand the difference between scifi and fantasy. Or am I just not abusing the organization tools properly?

What do you mean?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Out of the first ten recommendations marked "scifi", six are swords 'n' sorcery books. I'm curious if this means I should be organizing things by personalized shelves or whatever to get better recommendations. Or is this the fault of allowing users to categorize books, that genres cease to have meaning? (Hello, Star Wars novels infesting the fantasy list...)

Anyway, it seems to be clearing up slowly as I pump more books in generally, and it's no longer screaming at me to read everything Neil Gaiman's ever written for the philosophy/horror/fiction recommendations.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah those recommendations are based on what's in the shelf. The name of the shelf is irrelevant I'm pretty sure. So whatever you have shelved as scifi is giving you fantasy recommendations.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
http://www.goodreads.com/knowsfear , because you all need to know about how much I enjoyed or disliked the latest Star Wars novel.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1871737-tom

I read mainly sci-fi, fantasy, queer lit, with a spattering of other stuff.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6855798-nathan

Mainly pulpy SF and fantasy, with a bit of ~*real literature*~ mixed in. I've only just started writing reviews rather than just giving ratings to books, so there's not much there yet.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

How do you guys rate books that you liked when you were younger but probably wouldn't today? For instance, I used to be the biggest Haruki Murakami fan but I'm not sure I'd like him anymore. I don't know whether to rate it based on what I thought when I read it or what I think now, or just split the difference. I used to have an exclusive "read when I was younger" shelf but that was silly.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
This is me http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5187694-alexander-cordova and this thread has made me feel terrible about not having reviewed anything except a couple of books when I joined, so I'll get working on that and properly shelving my books.

I'm also doing the challenge, though last year I failed by around 5 books and I'll read absolutely anything.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Conduit for Sale! posted:

How do you guys rate books that you liked when you were younger but probably wouldn't today? For instance, I used to be the biggest Haruki Murakami fan but I'm not sure I'd like him anymore. I don't know whether to rate it based on what I thought when I read it or what I think now, or just split the difference. I used to have an exclusive "read when I was younger" shelf but that was silly.

Rate him according to your tastes now, so that your recommendations will be more accurate.

JudeMaverick
Feb 4, 2012

Listen up, you lowlifes who will never amount to anything: this level of titling is reasonable for JudeMaverick. What do you think of this, everyone?

Fabulous Max! Chopsticks! Let's destiny!

Gosh, I must crush her soon.
Here's my Goodreads account.

Too much Murakaminess, I know. I also add manga to make myself look like I'm some literate nut. Taking on the challenge to read 100 books.

JudeMaverick fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 18, 2012

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Depends. I've got a bunch of Hunter Thompson I thought was great back in high school but don't care for now, so I split the difference, since they're kind of important to me still. But if a book doesn't mean anything to me now, I don't even bother adding it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

How do you guys rate books that you liked when you were younger but probably wouldn't today?

When I bother to add stuff I read years ago, I try to remember how I felt about the book at that time and rate it accordingly. If I tried to rate it as if I read it today, I'd end up going back through all of my ratings every year or so because how I feel about a given book now is almost certain to be different than how I felt about it at the time I rated it.

It probably helps that I almost never trust Goodreads recommendations, so rating something like the Farseer trilogy as a solid 5 because I thought it was the best thing ever when I first read it in high school can skew my recommendations all it wants (I'd give it a 3 or 4 if I read it today).

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty
Here's my Goodreads: LINK

I've had my account for a few years now, but just started updating it again. Always looking for new suggestions and love reading others' reviews.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I've been adding all the people in the thread and trying to send recomendations based on what people have mentioned here that they've enjoyed!

Also: like last week I made a group on GoodReads but I didn't realize there was already one. Whoops. D:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

That drat Satyr posted:

I've been adding all the people in the thread and trying to send recomendations based on what people have mentioned here that they've enjoyed!

Also: like last week I made a group on GoodReads but I didn't realize there was already one. Whoops. D:

I am glad you did, it seems like the other group has almost no activity.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
I've discovered my latest guilty pleasure: finding the meanest reviewers on Goodreads and laughing at the trolls that come out of the woodwork. It's really amazing the things some people say.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

That drat Satyr posted:

I've just signed up too. There have already been a number of books I've either bought or added to my to read list, courtesy of the goons in The Book Barn. So another potential source of recommendations can only be a good thing.

e: and should anyone wish to add someone who reviews nothing and just sits quietly in the corner, you can find me here http://www.goodreads.com/andy109

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

This site doesn't seem to understand the difference between scifi and fantasy.

(Hello, Star Wars novels infesting the fantasy list...)
Everything seems to be right. :colbert:

Here's my account. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to!

kittentits
Feb 16, 2009
if you use my colored pencils you better put them back in rainbow order
I joined both groups to be on the safe side. Added some people from the first page on random, then decided to just post my own information here and discover more of you as I go. Here's my profile.

I'm currently trying to delve deeper into the fantasy and sci-fi genres (inspired by this little gem), while picking up some stuff here and there that I've either always wanted to read or recently been recommended. I just got my Kindle, so I'm in a phase where I want to read every book I find, yet I'm magically incapable of finishing any of them. This post should help motivate me, though. Read on!

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

kittentits posted:

I joined both groups to be on the safe side. Added some people from the first page on random, then decided to just post my own information here and discover more of you as I go. Here's my profile.

I'm currently trying to delve deeper into the fantasy and sci-fi genres (inspired by this little gem), while picking up some stuff here and there that I've either always wanted to read or recently been recommended. I just got my Kindle, so I'm in a phase where I want to read every book I find, yet I'm magically incapable of finishing any of them. This post should help motivate me, though. Read on!

That chart is great! I really need to catch up on some of the recent sci fi/fantasy that I missed.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Does anyone know if Stupid Sexy Flander is on goodreads? That goon is a powerhouse of Good Trash recommendations (also hysterical stories about punching yourself in the nuts but that's less relevant here) and I'd love to pick through his shelf.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Here's myself. I just joined today and I've been adding books I've gone through since middle school. Ya'll can add me if you want.

flymonkey
Feb 7, 2012
Here's me. Feel free to add! Right now I'm just adding books I've read based on what I remember reading. I'm pretty bad at rating stuff, though...I feel like I give out too many 3s.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

flymonkey posted:

Here's me. Feel free to add! Right now I'm just adding books I've read based on what I remember reading. I'm pretty bad at rating stuff, though...I feel like I give out too many 3s.

The middle of the road is the way to go. I end up giving more 4s than anything.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Let's talk Shelves!

I have a lot of goonfriends now on Goodreads and I've noticed a lot of you aren't really using custom shelves, but I think you should! It really improves your recommendations if you're looking for something particular (I check my sci-fi and fantasy shelf recommendations every time I add a new book, there's always something good popping up there).

Someone here was complaining that the sci-fi recommendations page, for instance, was giving fantasy books as well. But that's due to Goodreads' automated genre system, which is lovely. If you only search for recommendations based on books that you've shelved as sci-fi, you'll get a much better array of books. You'll notice if you start some genre shelves, that the recommendations page gives you two choices: recommending books based on what you've shelved, or books based on Goodreads' idea of what genres are.

Also, for a while I only had shelves of years: 2010, 2011, etc. Now I've got mostly genre shelves, and I'm going to delete my year shelves because if you go through your Stats, you can filter books by the year you read them anyway.

edit:
Another cool thing that shelving books will give you is better stats. For instance, here's the pi-charts of my shelves in the last two years:

2010 -

2011 -

I think it really shows how my tastes change.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 29, 2012

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I should expand my custom shelves about more, right now the only custom ones I have are "South Asia," "Middle East," and "Ireland." I liked it a lot better on librarything where you just had tags you type in so it was a lot easier to manage, but still, Goodreads has recommended me some good stuff based on the shelves I have, it couldn't hurt to add a few more.

Their recommendation system is a little screwy, though. For a while, about half of the recs for my South Asia shelf weren't even S. Asia based despite that being the one thing that every book on that shelf has in common. And because it considers my English translation of the Qur'an and the original Arabic to be the same book, it assumes I know Arabic, so that's what language every single one of my recs for my M. East shelf is.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Hedrigall posted:

Also, for a while I only had shelves of years: 2010, 2011, etc. Now I've got mostly genre shelves, and I'm going to delete my year shelves because if you go through your Stats, you can filter books by the year you read them anyway.

I just want to point out that, for folks who reread, those yearly shelves may still be good to have. The most annoying thing about Goodreads is that you can't record multiple read dates for the same book, and all those stats work off the read date.

You can shelve a different edition and have one read date for that second shelving as well, but that's a pain for those of us who want to keep cover art or accurate info about the editions we read. So by using yearly shelves, I can still go back and have a record of all the books I read in a particular year, even though their stupid database only lets me save one read date.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Just signed up:

http://www.goodreads.com/Dekks

Currently going through trying to remember every book I've ever read and add them. Do people generally add the 'classics' that everyone has read because of School like Catcher in the Rye etc or just take those as a given?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Personally, I only add things I've read recently for a couple reasons. One is that I hated everything I had to read in school because it was forced on me. Second, I've changed a lot since I was a kid. I'd rather the ratings and consequently the recommendations come from who I am now rather than who I was when I was a stupid teenager. My stupid adult opinions are much more relevant these days.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

prolecat posted:

Personally, I only add things I've read recently for a couple reasons. One is that I hated everything I had to read in school because it was forced on me. Second, I've changed a lot since I was a kid. I'd rather the ratings and consequently the recommendations come from who I am now rather than who I was when I was a stupid teenager. My stupid adult opinions are much more relevant these days.

I think thats probably the approach I will take as well, I did add a few classics that I still genuinely enjoy like 1984 and The Stranger (which I generally re-read every few years) but will leave out some of things I used to enjoy like Roald Dahl.

Amazon has trained me to be careful of what I say I like because of how heavily some things are weighted towards the recommendations, and so I'm hesitent to add some books, like the Harry Potter series, I thought they were decent cute kids books, but don't necessarily want any recommendations based on them, is there a way to say 'Don't recommend anything based on this book' but still have it on your shelf?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Recommendations are per-shelf, and you can mark entire shelves to not give recommendations. Don't think you can mark individual books though. Guess you could just store them on a read-but-no-recommendations shelf or something separate from your main read shelf.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

prolecat posted:

Recommendations are per-shelf, and you can mark entire shelves to not give recommendations. Don't think you can mark individual books though. Guess you could just store them on a read-but-no-recommendations shelf or something separate from your main read shelf.

That'll work for me. Thanks for the tip, there are sometimes the odd book in a genre that I like, even though I dislike the genre as a whole and didn't want my recommendations being screwed up.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Joined GR a long while back, but just now starting to use it. Also requested to join the new group.

http://www.goodreads.com/rayyeter

e: gently caress I hate my work proxy. It is that dumb that a url with "fantasy" in it gets blocked.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Tedronai66 posted:

e: gently caress I hate my work proxy. It is that dumb that a url with "fantasy" in it gets blocked.

Are you able to get around it by turning the URL into hex like some high school blockers do?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

PureRok posted:

Are you able to get around it by turning the URL into hex like some high school blockers do?

No. But oh well, I can manage poo poo from home/phone.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Here's my profile. Feel free to add me.

kittentits posted:

I'm currently trying to delve deeper into the fantasy and sci-fi genres (inspired by this little gem)

This list is pretty great. Though thanks to it my Amazon wishlist has over 150 books now. :saddowns:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Shelves are nice but Goodreads really really really needs a tag system. I mean sure I can shelve Lies of Locke Lamora for instance as fantasy. But if there was a tag system I could tag it with like thieves, con artists, orphans, horse piss, whatever. I'm not gonna make a horse piss shelf because really I only think Lies of Locke Lamora would fit there. Tags would really make the recommendation system 1000% better.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I've been trying to bring up tags in the feedback forum for years now. Every time the situation comes up, most folks in that group try to tell me that the shelves are tags. It's like beating my head against a wall.

• Locked thread