Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I dunno why anyone would want to add me but w/e here's my profile: https://www.goodreads.com/sludgefeast

I used to read good literature but I gave up trying to prove to myself that I'm smarter than my life would suggest and now I just read dumb fantasy crap in order to forget said life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I have a serious question of morality relating to goodreads.

Is it immoral to add an omnibus as the individual books so that my book count will be higher?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I would write reviews if I could think critically and write not ungoodly.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Goodreads makes me mad. Not because horrible idiots give great books bad reviews, but because then their friends say in the comments, "Thanks for the review, now I'll know to avoid that terrible book!"

Which then inevitably leads to this hypothetical exchange:

Random person: "Oh, [classic novel]? I haven't read it, but I was thinking about it."
Friend of reviewer who hasn't read the book: "I just overheard you talking about [classic novel]. It's horrible, don't bother."
Random person: "Wow, thanks for saving me the trouble! I'll just watch the Kardashians instead."

I guarantee this has happened at least 6 million times.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I read a review of a Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man that said it was terrible because Stephen was "emo". I wish I didn't live in a world (country?) where expressing any negative emotion is considered "emo".

I'm sure I also read at least several reviews complaining that the writing at the beginning is terrible.

e: also, I've said this in another thread, but the 2 lowest rated books in my library are Madame Bovary and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Highest rated: The Hunger Games.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 30, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Poutling posted:

When you have an author that you like and then you come across them on the internet and realize that they are a total fuckwad, does that make you like their novels any less or are you objectively able to separate the novel from the writer?

Eh, if I cared about an author being a dick, I would've never read Midnight's Children. But I did and it's the best thing I've ever read. Even Nabokov was kind of a dick.

But I suppose that's different than some genre or passable fiction (this should be a genre) writer being a dick. I liked Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion but I won't read any more of Simmons' books because he's a racist fuckhead. And I don't care how good Ender's Game is, I'm not giving Card any money because he's even more of a fuckhead.

So if some dick writes one of the best novels of the century, I'll read it regardless. But if it's just something moderately good or any quality genre fiction, I think I can live without it. Which is probably why I avoid learning about authors of genre fiction I like.

On the other hand, I've always hated Web 2.0 because only maybe about 5% (being generous) of the people who comment/blog/whatever on the internet have something worthwhile to say. But I think those people would always find an outlet for what they have to say. All Web 2.0 does is give the other 95% (which I'm including myself in btw; I'm white noise at best) an outlet.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Poutling posted:

I didn't know this about Simmons, care to elaborate?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345499&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=67#post399725206

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ugh, my "to buy" shelf is up to 54 books. :negative:

No matter how many books I buy, there's still tons more books left. What's up with that?!

speransky posted:

I read a lot of genre fiction and some history. I keep telling myself I should write more reviews, but I never get around to it.

Yeah, same here. I'm just really bad at articulating what I like or dislike about something, especially with books. I think that's something I was supposed to be taught in school but I never was. Also I was never taught how to write. I mean, I was taught basic spelling and grammar, but I was never taught how to like write an essay or a book report or anything. I never even wrote a paper until college.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This site doesn't seem to understand the difference between scifi and fantasy. Or am I just not abusing the organization tools properly?

What do you mean?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah those recommendations are based on what's in the shelf. The name of the shelf is irrelevant I'm pretty sure. So whatever you have shelved as scifi is giving you fantasy recommendations.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

How do you guys rate books that you liked when you were younger but probably wouldn't today? For instance, I used to be the biggest Haruki Murakami fan but I'm not sure I'd like him anymore. I don't know whether to rate it based on what I thought when I read it or what I think now, or just split the difference. I used to have an exclusive "read when I was younger" shelf but that was silly.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Shelves are nice but Goodreads really really really needs a tag system. I mean sure I can shelve Lies of Locke Lamora for instance as fantasy. But if there was a tag system I could tag it with like thieves, con artists, orphans, horse piss, whatever. I'm not gonna make a horse piss shelf because really I only think Lies of Locke Lamora would fit there. Tags would really make the recommendation system 1000% better.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 6, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Poutling posted:

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to tag a book 'horse piss' if you knew it would only apply to this book? Is it for the sake of remembering that there was horse piss involved in this book somehow? And if so, why wouldn't you just use the review system as a way to jog your memory of specific things that caught your attention about the book?

It was mostly a joke for people who've read Lies of Locke Lamora but like I said, with tags I could tag the book with thieves or con artists or whatever and then if I want another book with thieves or con artists I could check what else has been tagged with those things.

It is essentially the same as shelves, except nobody is gonna make a thieves or con artists shelf unless they're really into those particular things. I personally just shelve it as fantasy and call it a day. I imagine most do the same.

When I'm thinking of tags I'm mainly thinking of last.fm's tags. I know LT uses tags but it also looks exactly like LiveJournal which also had tags hmm... Like, look at all the stuff (weird or not - as a side note gently caress anybody that tagged The Weeknd with dubstep) that people have tagged this relatively lesser known artist with; if it were a book nobody would make shelves for all that crap. If last.fm were like Goodreads you'd just shelve The Weeknd as "rnb" and move on.

I think the main differences between shelves and tags really is just psychological and ease of use. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like a tag system.

http://www.goodreads.com/work/shelves/2116675 I know this contradicts what I said but I've found another problem: look at all the useless (from a recommendation standpoint) crap that people shelve the book as.

naptalan posted:

I see there is no horse-piss shelf at the moment. But there could be! All you need to do is shelve. :colbert:

Check again. :smug:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Moeru posted:

This thread + GoodReads + the NPR sci-fi\fantasy flowchart means another ton of books to get through :( Why do all these books keep sounding so good? :cry: My poor time

edit: Oh god, now even GoodReads' ads are making me find new books. :gonk:

If it makes you feel better I just counted my bookshelf and I have like 65 unread books.

And my bookshelf will only hold like 60 of those haha. My latest Amazon order I've just had to leave in the box because there's nowhere to put any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ugh, according to my GR I haven't read since Feb 22. Whenever I stop reading for whatever reason it's always really hard for me to start up again.

I started reading His Dark Materials today though, and so far it's really really good. REALLY good. If you have any interest in YA you should check it out.

• Locked thread