Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I enjoy using Goodreads to watch the 'Pages Read' bar fill up, and look at the nice graphs. It helps me to make sure I read everyday.

My Goodreads Profile

I like Fantasy. That's pretty much it. Not that I'm completely adverse to something outside the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't care about what the author thinks about anything. If the books are good then that's all that matters to me.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
An author of a book to me has always been this mythical, godlike being that has felt kind enough to grace me with their entertaining words. In order to keep this mystique I just ignore everything past the book.

This didn't stop me from crying the day I learned Robert Jordan died. :(

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Yeah, same here. I'm just really bad at articulating what I like or dislike about something, especially with books. I think that's something I was supposed to be taught in school but I never was. Also I was never taught how to write. I mean, I was taught basic spelling and grammar, but I was never taught how to like write an essay or a book report or anything. I never even wrote a paper until college.

This is why I don't bother. I just rate things for myself and my personal rating scheme is a 3 point system. To make things simple it's just:
  1. Don't like it.
  2. Like it.
  3. Love it.
Nice and simple.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Tedronai66 posted:

e: gently caress I hate my work proxy. It is that dumb that a url with "fantasy" in it gets blocked.

Are you able to get around it by turning the URL into hex like some high school blockers do?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Does anyone know why books occasionally have their amount of pages go away? It completely ruins the graphs and makes visual progress on their website not really work out.

Example:

The Sword of Shannara Trilogy

Back in January they had the amount of pages in the book, since you can see that when I put the page I was on in they put the %, but in March it doesn't do that. The reverse is true, as well; if I put in a percent, they don't put in a page number.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Perfidia posted:

Me too.

Though I only added 2 quick books under "A" before flaking out for the moment. My left mouse button is dead, but random electrical freak-outs select all/most of the writing on a page, or jump the cursor around. This makes it hell to try and fill in forms, when I am trying to juggle right-clicks and keyboard. Guess I should really get a new mouse...

Oh god it will take forever to fill my library if we are supposed to note every single book we have ever read. Genres for now: kind of sci-fi (non-hard preferred), historical, a tiny dollop of fantasy, and a whole bunch of stuff I could not see on the site.

You have a password for adding someone as a friend and your shelf is private. Guess I'm too stupid to figure out the password.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

naptalan posted:

Hint: it's four letters and rhymes with spoon. :v:.

Wow I'm dumb.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

joelcamefalling posted:

Goodreads serves the dual purpose of getting recommendations/reviews from smart people, and finding out that some authors are kind of dicks.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/568883186

I don't see what about that review makes him a dick, if that's supposed to be an example. If what he says about the book is true then I would agree with him.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I guess it requires clarifying. I agree with the general sentiment, but I guess not with the details of what he specifically says.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't read reviews for anything ever anywhere. I use the site to track what books I'm reading and where I'm at. Sort of like some sort of advanced bookmark. On the flip-side, I also don't review anything ever. I'll give things a rating, but that's as far as I'll go. Usually.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Huh. Looks fine to me. Maybe you guys are using the same DNS or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You can search by ISBN. Aren't those unique to each version of a book?

• Locked thread