Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My goodreads profile
I try to give at least a small review to everything I read, which is mostly sci-fi and fantasy. I've been slowly working through the classics (like Pride & Prejudice) for the last 2 years, but I usually get distracted by cheap tie-in novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

I actually have all but a handful of books I've read shelved, but I haven't shelved anything on my to-read list.

8one6
May 20, 2012

If you ever see me review a book that you'd also like to read send me a PM either through goodreads or SA. I usually trade the stuff I'm done reading at Half-Price Books, but I'd rather see them go to an interested goon instead.
Also Here's a link to my profile again.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Has anyone else tried out the goodreads giveaways? I've won two books so far, a neat guide to the basics on roller coaster design, and a mostly bad YA book that I entered to win because it had an interesting premise.

8one6
May 20, 2012

PureRok posted:

You can search by ISBN. Aren't those unique to each version of a book?

That should work for any books published after 1980. Between '70 and '80 it becomes more of a crap-shoot the further back you go.

Goodreads doesn't have great tools for sorting editions.

8one6
May 20, 2012

guppy posted:

Is Goodreads frequently borderline-unusably slow for anyone else lately? I saw what looked like a similar issue a page or two back, but I saw it identified as a Scandinavian issue (I'm on the east coast of the U.S.) and a DNS issue (makes no sense whatsoever, name resolution is working fine).

Everything else seems to be hunky-dory connection-wise.

Their servers are really unreliable, and tend to have issues every month or so.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Wow are the giveaways on goodreads becoming worse and worse.

8one6
May 20, 2012

savinhill posted:

Most of the Goodreads features and functions people talk about itt I've never come across and I've actually sought some of them out. Does Goodreads have a poo poo interface or am I just terrible at using the site?

It's a poo poo interface. It's all hidden behind the "explore" link at the top.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Goodreads wants you to read bad books.

Do you know how bad a book has to be for it's Goodreads review to dip below 3.6? Or even 3.4? Especially for a book with more than a thousand reviews on a site where the average reviewer won't give a book less than a 4 star review?

8one6
May 20, 2012

I do love seeing the variety of books everyone reads.

Also I'm sorry if one of my reviews has convinced anyone to read something that actually isn't that great. I was raised on a steady stream of Star Trek paperbacks so my perspective on what makes a good book is skewed a bit.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 8, 2015

8one6
May 20, 2012

Btw, if you ever see me review a book on Goodreads and you want to read it let me know and I can send it to you. Usually I just sell the books I'm finished back to HPB so I'd rather it go to an interested goon instead.

8one6
May 20, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Bumping because goodreads did something really good. Yay statistics. https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2016

Went to go crow at my dad about how I had completed my challenge of 53 books and then noted that he's read 199 books so didn't. That will teach me for being slightly smug about reading Copperfield's 911 pages.

I had a rough back half of the year mentally (was laid off, which made my lovely brain spiral into the lovely brain zone) so I'm like at 59 of 78 books.

I got cocky when I approached my goal at around 30 books 3 months in so I set my goal further than just a book a week.
I'm going to see if I can't power through it and complete this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

The Grey posted:

I think people should set reading goals based on pages instead of book count. Setting the goal based on books wrongly influences people towards short books and away from long ones. The goodreads page count feature is great for this.

learnincurve posted:

I'm with you there, read the Sherlock Holmes kindle omnibus thing and ended up finding a two part version to mark as read, because it didn't seem quite fair to read so many pages for 1 towards my challenge when you could just read a short story for the same reward.

Yeah, I've done this once or twice. I'll also admit to not wanting to start anything over 500 pages because of this.

• Locked thread