Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

naptalan posted:

Deleting your account seems a bit extreme since we don't even know to what extent Amazon will influence the site. The worst outcome I can think of is, as AreYouStillThere already mentioned, if Amazon lets the site stagnate like Shelfari. I don't think that's likely but even if it does happen, it's still not something worth worrying about now. Wait until a better alternative comes along before jumping ship, at least! then wait 3 years for Amazon to acquire the new service, rinse, and repeat

I can think of a worse outcome... what if the books you've bought from Amazon all start showing up automatically on your Goodreads page? There are some books I got from Amazon that I'd prefer my friends not know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

naptalan posted:

So I just found out about Riffle Books - it's a new Goodreads alternative being touted as "the Pinterest of book discovery". After signing up and poking around, that seems very apt.

I was just going to check this out, until I found out they require you to use a facebook or twitter ID. Uh, no thanks.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I'm browsing through Goodreads this morning and came across this book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21953652-land-of-the-free

547 out of 551 reviews are 5-stars. Seriously? If you are going to rig your reviews, can you do it a little less obviously?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Bumping because goodreads did something really good. Yay statistics. https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2016

Went to go crow at my dad about how I had completed my challenge of 53 books and then noted that he's read 199 books so didn't. That will teach me for being slightly smug about reading Copperfield's 911 pages.

I think people should set reading goals based on pages instead of book count. Setting the goal based on books wrongly influences people towards short books and away from long ones. The goodreads page count feature is great for this.

• Locked thread