Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Rookie question and I feel stupid asking but for the guys who camp a lot, "where" do you camp? Do you usually pick camp destinations on a trip and drive there and set up and its a typical camping location? Or do you just ride and when you find a secluded area just drive off the beaten path a bit and set up camp there?

The latter sounds more fun but the last thing i need is to get hostel-ed by some whacko in the forest haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

BotchedLobotomy posted:

The latter sounds more fun but the last thing i need is to get hostel-ed by some whacko in the forest haha.

Unless you're hopping a fence to setup camp this simply is extremely unlikely to happen. Even then most people are normal and rational and if you're on their private property they may just ask you to leave. If you want/need to stealth camp, setup at dusk and leave at dawn.

When I plan a trip I try to string together as many national parks, state parks, national monuments etc as I can, If you're on the part of the map that's green odds are you can camp there, either in a designated campground or wild camping.

Most national parks do not allow wild camping just off the road, the notable exceptions are Death Valley (and only off certain roads), The Maze district of Canyonlands, and a handful in Alaska. National Park campgrounds tend to be pricey, but offer good services.

I've almost never gone wrong asking a local gas station attendent or local bike (moto or pedal) shop where some good local camping is. Some of them have led me to really spectacular places like the state park just outside of Fort Ross off Hwy 1 or Taylor Park in the heart of the rockies.

Loads of state parks allow camping, national grasslands and national forests are cool with people camping off the road but it's always nice to find a quieter road than a US highway to camp off of.

AAA maps are covered in little tent icons that indicate a AAA approved campsite, if you're a member these maps are also free.

The regional forums on ADV have loads of great local advice, just plan your route get a rough idea of where you want to be at the end of the day and either ask in advance or ask a local.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 29, 2012

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Rookie question and I feel stupid asking but for the guys who camp a lot, "where" do you camp? Do you usually pick camp destinations on a trip and drive there and set up and its a typical camping location? Or do you just ride and when you find a secluded area just drive off the beaten path a bit and set up camp there?

We pick a destination in advance. We've only been out 3-4 times, but we generally aim around the 250 mile mark and just look around google maps for an area that looks awesome.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

If you want to camp, you go to parks, and many large parks (esp. national forests) have camping. Camping isn't always practical if you're just touring around on paved roads; you need to plan ahead to find campsites around many metropolitan regions (or most of the country actually; the west is just blessed with many large wilderness areas).

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

PlasticSun posted:

All this camping talk has got me itching for spring, if any of you find yourselves in CO hit me up I know a handful of great moto-camping spots

I'm in Central Texas, but I was considering taking a week or so off and riding up to CO to do some camping probably mid to late spring if there's any interest in organizing something there.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I have different styles of camping that I do. Most of the time I'm going for state parks/known campgrounds.

Sometimes though I want to explore. A lot of offroad trails will have smaller single tracks leading away that were cut by locals or aren't part of the "official" trail. I enjoy exploring these a lot and sometimes they lead to networks of backwoods trails. If I'm exploring these sometimes I will stealth camp. I aim to get fairly deep in the woods at least out of sight of any roads.

Another way to find good camping spots is to follow creeks/streams/rivers. A lot of time you can find good clearing that others have used before to camp in. Beware of hobo's though as they also do this, most are nice/cool people but some are batshit crazy. Keep your ride within easy reach and your keys on you @ all times. Use minimal gear when possible and be prepared to bolt/defend yourself if needed.

I've only had 1 nasty encounter when travelling off the beaten path and it was only verbal, I was camping in some bum's spot apparently. It ended up all being good in the end after a beer or two and some fishing in the river. I actually ended up giving him my good telescopic rod/reel because he pretty much lived there and had jack squat to his name.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Korwen posted:

I'm in Central Texas, but I was considering taking a week or so off and riding up to CO to do some camping probably mid to late spring if there's any interest in organizing something there.

Definitely, I'm out of town from Mid April til early May but otherwise I'm game. BTW the paved passes around here start to clear (lose sand) in mid-may. Anytime after Memorial day is usually pretty clear save for a few in SW CO, just about all of the dirt passes are open by early July save for Perl Pass which remains closed sometimes till August.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 1, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

We should make it a thing. I'd love to see Colorado.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Depending on how much my life is in order, I might be down too :)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'll have to wait a while, I burned all my vacation time around xmas. My great Grandma had a stroke... :(

I'm game for next year though and can probably do a week and a half to two week trip. Company would be awesome if someone wanted to join in or meet along the way.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

You know there's stuff to see in CA too. Carrizo Plain:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I'm planning on going out for 3 weeks to CO, UT, and CA (San Diego and SF) in the middle of May after I graduate (from Kansas). Going to camp, unless my dad goes along for part of it. He's not a camper.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

thylacine posted:

I'm planning on going out for 3 weeks to CO, UT, and CA (San Diego and SF) in the middle of May after I graduate (from Kansas). Going to camp, unless my dad goes along for part of it. He's not a camper. I've got 4WD trail books for the Front Range of CO and Moab but I'm open to other adventures

Apparently I don't know hot to EDIT instead of QUOTE.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

If this ends up being A Thing, I have the last week in May off and was going to head in Colorado's direction from Chicago. It'd be fun to join up with people along the way or there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MotoMind posted:

You know there's stuff to see in CA too. Carrizo Plain:

Man, you jerks out west have it good. The southeast is all forest. Forest forest forest, everywhere a muddy forest.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
So here's a thought:

I was planning on renting out the Addie S cabin in SW Colorado for 4-5 days in mid-July. Why Mid-July? All the passes are open and the area around there is unparalled in terms of dual sport and road riding. http://www.skihuts.com/Pages/Addie%20S.html

The cabin is located here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...659da07b541c29e

If there's enough interest we could arrange a bit of a goon meet with cabin accommodations (kitchen, grill, multiple bathrooms, etc) and peel off for a night if people wanted to get their camp on. Clear lake is a fantastic spot for those with the ground clearance to get there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXFzPjw9pQs (skip to about 7:23 for the money shot)

There are no services (aside from water) at Clear lake, if you want to poop you're digging a hole, but the setting is completely worth it.

Other notable attractions include:
Lake Como at the top of Hurricane Pass:

California Pass:

Engineer Pass:

Red Mountain Pass:

Lizard Head Pass:

Ophir Pass:

For those on DRZs and WRs the redoubtable Black Bear Pass is also in the area:

For those looking to come out earlier in the spring the area around the Sangre de Christo Mountains is also fantastic. There's the great sand dunes, some really nice riding around Westcliffe, and a cool hippie town of Crestone with buddist stupas and natural hot springs. The Taylor Park area is also great for some light dual sport riding but most the dirt passes will remain closed until early July. Trail Ridge Road and Mt. Evans both try and open up on Memorial day. Both are fully paved, Trail ridge will take you about 40 miles all the way above 10,000 feet with some spectacular views. Mt. Evans will climb up to 14,000' and is the highest paved road in North America. Both have loads of tourists but the views are worth it.

Mt. Evans on Memorial Day:

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Annnnd now I'm sad that I'm in Illinois.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Just now?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Only 600 miles from paradise!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'll be in Montana the week of July 4th for a wedding and was planning on riding out. Now I'm tempted to pick up a dual sport so I can enjoy the riding out there. Should have two weeks of time to explore and ride if I plan my vacation time right.

Would be great to ride with a few people that know the area.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

I'm game for that PlasticSun, just get some dates and I'll request the PTO. It'll probably be a 2 day/1 night ride for me to get there, so I'll have to account for that on either end.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Korwen posted:

I'm game for that PlasticSun, just get some dates and I'll request the PTO. It'll probably be a 2 day/1 night ride for me to get there, so I'll have to account for that on either end.

Sounds good, shoot me a PM when you've got your dates. Yesterday, I just found out I may be guiding a through-hike of Rocky Mountain National Park from the 20-27th of July but otherwise mid-June through July is pretty open for me.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Alright I think I have all the camping bits I need.

I ended up with a 3 person tent since it was a handmedown and free>buy until I decide this is truly something I'll be doing all the time. Sleeping bag also handled, its a bit big but I can shove it into a saddlebag no problem with other stuff in there too.

Now that I'm ready to go, I'm not sure on where to go that has space available for my ~*~babby's first bike camping trip~*~. When I check state park websites you have to sign up to camp there which sort of kills the "on the spot" deciding to go one weekend. Is this really how its become that you cant just go camping spurr of the moment? :(

Anyways, I was checking this place out since it also doubles as something fun to do on the bike. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=405

Has anyone been there and camped? I assumed I should go there before its like 100 degrees in the summer.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I ended up with a 3 person tent since it was a handmedown and free>buy until I decide this is truly something I'll be doing all the time. Sleeping bag also handled, its a bit big but I can shove it into a saddlebag no problem with other stuff in there too.

Now that I'm ready to go, I'm not sure on where to go that has space available for my ~*~babby's first bike camping trip~*~. When I check state park websites you have to sign up to camp there which sort of kills the "on the spot" deciding to go one weekend. Is this really how its become that you cant just go camping spurr of the moment? :(

Anyways, I was checking this place out since it also doubles as something fun to do on the bike. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=405

Has anyone been there and camped? I assumed I should go there before its like 100 degrees in the summer.

Grab a compression sack for your sleeping bag and it will cut down on the bulk. If you get a decent sized one you may even be able to compress your tent and sleeping bag together.

Something like this: http://www.rei.com/product/766677/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-compression-sack

DO NOT leave the bag in the compression sack after your trip it MUST taken out or it will lose it's warmth when the down fully compresses.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BotchedLobotomy posted:

None of the parks near you have back country camping? Sounds like you might just need to mosey off the road a little ways...

I just bought a tent and still need to grab a sleeping mat and bag. Getting ready for the red river gorge and some surrounding areas.

Just look at those roads...

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Huh, I live around there. Miles of National Forest, tons of great roads, next to no cops.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Right on, have you been to Breaks Park in the second picture? The thing to do here is to go spend a few days at the Red River Gorge up by Slade in the first pic. It's a bit of a drive to Breaks so I haven't been able to convince anyone to take a day trip down there and camp overnight.

A lot of the gorge trips we do end up having a few new people so we wake up late and hit the best overlook trails. The last time I went down was with people too "city" stressing over everything and huffing and puffing on a 1/2 mile trail...I learned my lesson there.

If you have been there, any good trail guides or books? I have Hinterlands for the RRG which is fantastic. I'd like to find the good trails at a new park as well, instead of just driving up to the scenic overlooks the vacationers take their toddlers to.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
On the topic of sleeping pads I keep floating between getting something like a thermarest pad or something inflatable. I see some complaints about cheaper inflatables, and I'm not looking to dig too deep for a pad. On the other hand, the thermarest is bulky and, well, just a pad.

Are there inflatable pads that don't bulge when you move and aren't more than 50 bucks?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

You might be able to get one, but it's not worth it really. There are better things to do in life than huff and puff on a nozzle before bed. Get yourself an Exped with large dual inflate/deflate valves and call it a day. A SynMat Basic will run you under $100 which is a steal.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I've got a self inflating mattress of about an inch thick. It doesn't really self inflate, but you're not going to spend hours blowing either. You don't want to grab something that's less thick than that though, you need to get it pretty hard if you don't want to touch the ground. And yes, that means it'll bulge a bit.

Don't get foam. They just take up too much space imho.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

I bought one of these insulated sleeping pads from REI and I've liked it so far:

http://www.rei.com/product/763953/big-agnes-insulated-air-core-pad

It sucks that you have to blow it up, it's not self-inflating, however because of that it packs up really, really small and is lightweight. I find it comfortable and now that I've used it I am not considering getting any self-inflating pad.

Also boo to foam.

edit: Just looked at that one MotoMind, and that looks great, similar design just with a built in pump.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 3, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I have a Big Agnes and it is easily 2x to 3x as slow to inflate and deflate vs. the Exped SynMat dual flat valves. Might not matter for a night or two, but it's one more frustration and time-waster in camp that you don't need on a tour.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I haven't used this but it's cheap and a descent R value. It may be too small for your needs though.

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/pacific-outdoor-equipment-peak-oyl-mountain-sleeping-pad

If you can afford it go with the exped, I like my Air Core since it packs so small but it can be a pain to blow up.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 3, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Korwen posted:

edit: Just looked at that one MotoMind, and that looks great, similar design just with a built in pump.

The built-in pump is much slower than the flat valve design. I tried both at the local REI.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm pretty tall so that's an issue, I think that pad is like 3 1/2 feet. I'm not touring so time spent really isn't an issue. The most I'm planning now is weekend camping, and often I'll have cars with me.

I'm also not looking to spend a ton of cash. Down sleeping bags and $100+ pads are pretty sweet but the kind of camping I do is in the summer and I'm not on a rocky mountainside so I think I'll get by with a simple pad and cheap bag.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

nsaP posted:

I'm pretty tall so that's an issue, I think that pad is like 3 1/2 feet. I'm not touring so time spent really isn't an issue. The most I'm planning now is weekend camping, and often I'll have cars with me.

I'm also not looking to spend a ton of cash. Down sleeping bags and $100+ pads are pretty sweet but the kind of camping I do is in the summer and I'm not on a rocky mountainside so I think I'll get by with a simple pad and cheap bag.

Steep and cheap has been running through Stoic Vamp 15F and Vamp 30F lately. For 100 bucks you get a down bag with a good temp rating. I picked up a Vamp 15 yesterday to replace a bag that got stolen on our last trip. Stoic bags generally have more shoulder/hip room than many other manufacturers.

Edit: If you don't mind strapping stuff to the outside of your luggage the Z-lite is cheap, and comfortable. Some people with sensitive skin get Therma-pox since you're on an egg-crate shaped foam pad but you never have to worry about puncturing it. This makes it good for a camp seat, knee pad etc. It accordion folds so there's no time spent rolling/strapping/stuffing in the morning.

http://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-Z-Lite-Sleeping-Regular/dp/B00453NA1E

That and a Vamp would set you back ~140-150 together and would be pretty comfortable.

More Edits: Here's a link to the Vamp but you can knock an extra 10 bucks or so off the price if you find it on SAC: http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-vamp-30-sleeping-bag-30-degree-down

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 3, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Testing how to secure the load and what I'm going to use. For an overnight I think I can get away with something like this, more testing is in order.

All of that on the back is held down with 2 bungee cords and a strap for stability. I was kind of surprised how easy it was to strap up, but that backpack has a lot of places to tighten or attach to. I still need to experiment with other bags as well.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
You can get a set of bags to keep everything neat and not flapping in the breeze:

Side view from the same trip:

In the tail pack is a 3-person cabela's tent, eureka sleeping bag, ether-compact6 sleeping pad and a tarp for a ground cloth.

The saddle bags have 4 days of clothes on one side and an extra pair of sneakers, a netbook plus a few paperbacks on the other side.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah you can, but for a bit of perspective your tent cost more than everything I have strapped up.

Edit: I'm currently accepting donations for side bags though, feel free to pm me for paypal info or even an address if you have some to send. My buddies dad actually gave me some small generic hard panniers but I couldn't work out a decent way to mount them so I'll probably give them back. They were meant for a cruiser and the lines of that bike don't make it easy.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

nsaP posted:

Testing how to secure the load and what I'm going to use. For an overnight I think I can get away with something like this, more testing is in order.

All of that on the back is held down with 2 bungee cords and a strap for stability. I was kind of surprised how easy it was to strap up, but that backpack has a lot of places to tighten or attach to. I still need to experiment with other bags as well.

Looks like a good stack.

I also used a nylon strap for a while to hold everything down, with the right technique it's way more secure than traditional bungees. It just sucks when you need to pull one thing off and put it back on again. If you can find a deal on them RokStraps are just if not more secure and can be engaged and disengaged in seconds but if you're not in a rush nylon straps are the way to go. Over the course of a long trip all of the constant motion will stretch out the bungees rendering then next to useless.

• Locked thread