Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

nsaP posted:

Testing how to secure the load and what I'm going to use. For an overnight I think I can get away with something like this, more testing is in order.

All of that on the back is held down with 2 bungee cords and a strap for stability. I was kind of surprised how easy it was to strap up, but that backpack has a lot of places to tighten or attach to. I still need to experiment with other bags as well.

Naked FZ6? Luckily that bike has some pretty good mount points for straps/hooks. Look into a cargo net (can be had for like $5) to cover the loose stuff. Other than that, it looks fine.
Is your tank bag on backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Enjoy a lovely cell pic of the setup from my most recent trip.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I have Fieldsheer Expander saddlebags, but they're discontinued. They hold a ton of stuff. Not a fan of the top opening, though. I wish it was a dual zipper rathern than a single. They came with removable soft sides that prevent scratching on the paint.
I've heard good things about Nelson Rigg and Cortech/Tourmaster bags, too.

I substitute a pillow with a stuff sack of clothing.
I picked up a tri-pod chair from Wholesale Sports for about $5 a few summers ago. It's about as long as my saddlebags, and I just strap it to the top of one.
This is actually the exact model I have. The little rubber feet came off, but that's not an issue to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just go for both.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Goddamn I really want to load up the bike and go camping somwhere once May hits and the rains start to pull back. Anyone have some good locations near water in Eastern Washington? Some of us have been talking about camping along the Columbia river around Memorial day.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We all discussed it and settled on a campsite that's still on the east side but north rather than south: Lost Lake Group Unit Campground, Washington.

quote:

LOST LAKE GROUP UNIT Description
Lost Lake Group Campground is situated on the northern edge of Lost Lake in Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest near Tonasket, Washington. Set beneath mixed-conifer forest and surrounded by high mountains, this campground offers one group site, suitable for large family and group camping excursions.

Campground Directions
From Tonasket, Washington, take State Route 20 east for 24 miles. Exit at the Bonaparte Recreation Area on Qkanogan County road 4953, which turns into National Forest System road 32. Continue on National Forest System road 32 for 4 miles to National Forest System road 33. Take the left fork onto National Forest System road 33, traveling north for 5 miles to a four corner junction. Turn left at the four corner junction onto National Forest System road 33-053 and continue for a mile to the campground. Upon entering the campground, the group unit is the first site on the left beside the Guard House.

(At least) one of my friends is leaving early on the Friday of our trip to add a few miles and take HWY 20, as he's not ridden it before.

Here's our route:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...2&via=1&t=m&z=9

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

n8r posted:

Are you doing this in one day? Going out and back? I can suggest a pretty decent loop depending on how many miles you want to cover. Prepare to freeze your rear end off going over the pass.

We're all camping over the weekend. Some people are driving while others are riding out. The trip is June 7-9, just a two nighter. How cold is the pass in early June? I know they're already clearing them. We're going to take 90 if it's not clear by then.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Because of the Skagit bridge collapse, I've had to edit my route. Thinking of jumping across on 534 and going north on 9 to 20.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...ia=1,2&t=m&z=11

Anyone ridden 534 and/or 9? Are we better off just taking the detour with the amount of time and miles we'd be adding by taking 534/9? It looks like we could get off at the detour and either keep going north to 20 on Burlington or turn onto Whitmarsh and hit 20 that way.

The pass is open, and looking at the webcams, it's sunny and awesome. Supposed to be rain free the rest of the week, too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Sweet. We'll probably end up with 534/9/20. Don't want to add too much time. We have to get to the camp eventually, and we've already added ~30 minutes by hitting up 20. I'd prefer to stay on the route with more gas stations, too, as my friend's shadow only gets about 130 to the tank.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

effzedsix posted:

I'm riding with Pope Mobile. I submit this is just as good a ride, without getting anywhere near that stupid bridge collapse. Also making it easier for directionally disabled folks like myself.

http://goo.gl/maps/lxq8U

Thoughts?

It took my a bit to realize you changed your name.

That path does seem to work out better.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Trip report: Awesome ride. 530 and 20 were good, but it was a bit chilly with rain spitting on us now and then. Nothing too bad. There were a fair number of slow movers going down 20, but we got some good spots of open speed and twisting. Once we got over the pass and down towards Winthrop, it warmed up and traffic cleared.
The best part, though, was when 20 turns, outside Twisp, towards Okanogan. Just under 30 miles of open road and twisties. We came up to one car, and he pulled over pretty quickly.
You start out in the hills & trees then come out to a sweeping valley view a few miles before you hit 97. Holy poo poo, it was amazing.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...&sz=13&t=m&z=13

When we got to the general area the camp was in and turned down one of the forest services roads (as per the directions) it was blocked off about half a mile down. Effzedsix went back to the restaurant/bait shop to ask about it while I went down a different FS road. It clearly hadn't been used in some time and I ended up doing some muddin'.

For the route back, we went down 97>2>90 and I was home by 2:30.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Monterey Bay is, what, under 300 miles from LA? You should be able to get that no problem in 6ish hours depending on your speed and route.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Dig a hole and fill it with the rocks you've heated in the fire. Cover said rocks with a good layer of dirt/sand and sleep on top of that if it's cold. It's great when on the beach.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Does your partner mind wearing a backpack? They make some pretty large tank bags and there are even tank panniers. You should be able to get everything you need for a weekend on there. Just don't overdo it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'll be heading to Ocean Shores for some beach camping in a few weeks. Still wondering if I should take her for a romp in the sand.

DJ_Ferret posted:

This is what a KLR without side bags or racks and too much stuff on it looks like. Tent is lashed to the far side of the top box, you can see the blue rear end end of it.

Hell yes :getin:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I layer on the DEET. I want to smell like a chemical factory. When I get back from camping, I can only smell two things for the next week: smoke and DEET.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was behind an FZ1 the other day that looked like it was in for a long haul. They had their sleeping bag tied to the forks on the front fender. Why have I not thought of this before?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I postponed my Montana trip because my friend flaked and "forgot". It finally got to the point where I said "gently caress it" and am now just taking a two day solo trip out to Grand Coulee dam. I'll be camping at Steamboat Rock State Park for a night then heading home the next day. It's five and a half hours to get there on the route I'm taking there (doing Chinook Pass since I've done the others) and only three and a half back. I'll have time to set up camp, have some time to relax, check out the dam, get some sleep, have a late rise and head home.

Here's my route out:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/352...2d47.871385!3e0

Only 273 miles. I expect to do it in about six without a lunch stop. Headed out Sunday morning and should return early evening on Monday.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Get a valve stem tool. I went out to my bike this morning to a flat front. My valve stem was loose. Luckily Ace Hardware was open and they had a stem tool for $3. A compact air compressor really helps too. I'd be stuck without either of those right now. Instead, I'm waiting for my flautas in Ephrata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Here are some pictures from my Grand Coulee Dam Trip:

Mt. Rainier

Columbia River

Campsite

Grand Coulee Dam

View from the Campsite

All in all, the Chinook pass was good, but I still prefer highway 20. The road is more fun, the views are better, and there are more opportunities for passing. The dam was pretty cool, but the best part was that I was there around 5:30 on a Sunday; there was no one in the parking lot. No screaming children. No throngs of people gathering for photos. Just me and some random couple playing fetch with their dog.

Oh, yes, I did have a loose valve core on the front tire. That sure was fun. I'm just glad I didn't have a puncture.

• Locked thread