Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Is it painfully stupid to try camping without tents? Uncle and I decided to do the 'proper' travelling experience and avoid hotels if at all possible. We've got airbed/sleeping bag things, and he reckons we'll get away with just that as 'it's summer'. I'm struggling to convince myself that it won't rain at all, and that the temperature at night will be ok in a sleeping bag. We're going to go for a hotel once we hit the alps though.

Points to note: Europe in August, side-of-the-road stop wherever looks nice and France/Germany/Italy/Switzerland -> Croatia route.

I'm thinking of this tent (one each) http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3402052.htm#pdpProductReviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Whenever I'm out and about abroad, I tend to try to have the bike in eye-line. Can you imagine getting all your poo poo nicked when you're entirely dependent on your bike? Also, you can get those anti-scratch foamy sheets to put on any contact point, I got a roll in a pound shop last time I needed it. You can also cut up an old inner tube and use that over the contact points.

Anyone have any good resources for non-campsite camping in the EU? I'm struggling to wade through advrider for the info that I need..

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

KARMA! posted:

Norway is free to camp anywhere within reason and you need to clean up after yourself, Netherlands is a big no no. That's the extent of my knowledge.

We're mainly going France-Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Croatia. My logic is pretty much what you said: In and out, quick and quiet with no mess or trace left behind. My only worry is actually getting off the road with my bike, it's not exactly made for offroading. I suppose 20m through grass should be ok...

• Locked thread