Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
I've got some questions for those with saddlebags. Who makes some good ones for a sportbike? I've heard some models can scratch the finish, so I'd like to avoid those. Also, have you had any problems with people going through your stuff while you're inside a store or restaurant? I'd be a little paranoid about that.

btw: Lots of good info in here, especially the hammock suggestion. Going to have to try that out. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xd
Sep 28, 2001

The Hennessy works really well as a complete hammock camping system, but I found my friend's ENO doublenest to be far more comfortable than my Hennessy expedition. I think the larger Hennessy explorer model might be better.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

FYI: Once you add a bugnet + fly + straps the ENO gets fairly bulky compared to the Hennessy system (and costs more). The ENO is super comfy, but they need to make a model with an integrated bugnet.

Coincidentally, I sold my Hennessy today :) I've a Warbonnet Blackbird on the way to replace it.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Which campground was that? I saw a dude on a KLR this week when I was camping.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

I was hammock camping at Cooper's Creek near Suches, GA on Sunday night. Saw the KLR drive by later in the day.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

quote:

I'm thinking of buying a Hennessy or something similar for camping this year. Never used one though, so I have some questions:

If you buy long straps, does that mean you're screwed in the trees are close together?

Not really, you just have extra length for when you need it to go around larger trees. Also, if you decide to buy a Hennessy, get the larger EXPLORER model and not the smaller EXPEDITION model.

quote:

What is the "insulation" bits they sell as extras? Wouldn't you just bring a sleeping bag into the hammock? I don't get how it would be used.

If you only use a sleeping bag, the insulation underneath you will be fully compressed and it will not insulate you very well. When it's below 70 degrees, in general you'll want something underneath you at night. During the summer I just sleep on top of my sleeping bag. Right now, it's a bit cooler, so I tend to use a slightly deflated thermarest inflatable pad under me along with these to cover my shoulders and hips. You also see vendors selling things like "under quilts" and "top quilts". Those were created so you can sleep with nothing between you and the hammock and still be warm.

quote:

Generally, how are they as a replacement for tents?

For me, a hammock allows me to sleep outside more comfortably than on the ground. Tents afford you more privacy, but the openness of the hammock is kind of cool. Here's a good article that explains it better than I can here.

EFB

xd
Sep 28, 2001

I had the smaller model and it would cramp my ankle pretty bad unless I crossed my legs. Not pleasant at all.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Are mosquitoes no problem where you camped, or did you apply a copious amount of bug repellent before bed?

xd
Sep 28, 2001

I've been using picaridin, it doesn't melt plastic like DEET, and is as effective. You can also treat your clothing with permethrin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xd
Sep 28, 2001

I used to use a windshield sunshade (the bubble foil kind) with a fleece blanket under me. It got me down to about 20 degrees with my 20 degree down bag. I bit the bullet and bought a down underquilt and it is way easier to setup and take down, haven't used it below freezing yet, but it warms up nicely. Thermarests work pretty well, but when it gets freezing cold you will definitely feel it on your shoulders.

• Locked thread