Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Thanks for the links, stuff like that really helps out. Last time I camped was well over a decade ago, and I think people always bring *too* much than too little.

I ride a DRZ400SM right now, street tires but I plan on getting those distanzias so I dont topple over in the slightest amount of dirt.
Do you look for state/national parks and find camping areas in there or do you just ride till you find a secluded area in wherever the hell and set up camp? I've read a few Adventure rider threads where the guys are in wherever the hell nowhere mexico and pitch tent a hundred meters off the road but that's perhaps a little hardcore for me right now. :)

State and National parks will have campgrounds with services, if you want to go more posh than that a KOA will have showers, laundry, wi-fi, snacks, etc.

Tents are the hardest thing to pack on a bike since many of them don't have poles which fit well into a pannier. Big Agnes tents tent to have poles with a shorter minimum length, I've also had some good luck with older North Face Designs like the Slick Rock. Deal sites like departmentofgoods.com, steepandcheap.com etc are great places to find cheap gear. REI Garage Sales where they sell returned items are also good spots to score cheap, high quality stuff.

A down filled sleeping bag is great and will save you LOADS of space. Some of them get down to the size of softballs but most are in the half-loaf of bread size.

For a sleeping pad look at Big Agnes air core line, they're about the size of a can of soda.

There are a lot of fancy backpacking stoves out there, however most of the time you just need to boil water/make coffee, etc since restaurants are usually not all that far away for proper meals. The esbit stove is 11 bucks and is stone axe simple. You get one heat setting (fire) but you can blow on the cubes to put them out if needed. 1 cube boils about 3-4 cups of water. Wrap it in aluminium foil for a windbreak. Also if you suck at lighting fires you can use a fuel cube for a fire starter.

Bring a book/journal, light, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, cookpot, and eating utensil.

Socal has a lot of cool camping especially if you like the desert. You could head out to the mojave and live out your fallout new vegas fantasies. Visit the valley of fire north of Las Vegas. Camp out by the black (actually white) mailbox near Area 51 off the ET Highway near Rachel NV. Visit Death Valley and camp there, check out the Salt Flats, Scotty's castle, etc. Or ride into Mexico and head toward San Felipe and camp on the beach at Gonzaga Bay. If you want trees there's some strange ones in Joshua Tree National Park, or head north into Sequoia national forest. State parks litter Highway 1, just take your pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
2up camping setup:

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

orthod0ks posted:

I've been out a couple times, though never alone. Last year we camped in the Monongahela with 8 of us. We had a chase car, but I'm all about getting what I need on my bike. We sort of go all out, so last year we packed a cooler of meat, but we may not have the luxury of a car this year. We'll probably buy our food locally. We do prefer to cook over the campfire than eat at restaurants, but we do it right. Last year we had filet mignon one night. You can cook just about anything with a cast iron pan and a campfire.

That was my setup. I have an over packing issue that I'll be working on this year. I also need a smaller sleeping bag (the white bag). I've since replaced my ground pad with a smaller (and more comfortable) one. Trash bags go a long way for water proofiness. I'll probably be adding a venture rack this year to give me some more room. I find myself fighting all my stuff for seat space on the ride.

Edit: Can someone recommend a reasonably priced compactly packed sleeping bag? I don't like mummy bags, and I don't camp in overly cold weather, though I wouldn't mind the option if the bag can handle it.

The Marmot Always Summer is only rated to 45 but if you wore a sweater/fleece pants while sleeping you may be ok down to the mid 30s. Thing packs down to about the size of a softball. http://www.departmentofgoods.com/marmot-always-summer-sleeping-bag-45-degree-down-mar1624

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

SaNChEzZ posted:

I've always been told (and tried with success) that the less you wear in a sleeping bag, the better it works.

This is true if you're within the temperature range for the bag, but you can extend the range of the bag with lose additional layers. You can also opt for a sleeping bag liner for colder nights as well. If you're already within the temp range of a bag it's better to wear lighter layers or none at all.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

nsaP posted:

Has anyone been anal enough to make a list of their gear? I've been compiling what I think I'll need based on everything I've been reading and my own plans, but to see what other people here take would help as well.

Here's a list of all the stuff we packed for a year of living off the bike: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14612199&postcount=79

For just camping for a weekend or a week I bring:

Either 2 Person TNF Slickrock bicycle touring tent or if 2up 3 Person Black Diamond Skylight Tent - The TNF tent goes up in less than a minute which is great when setting up in the rain, while the BD tent is huge for it's packed space it's a bitch to put up but it holds 2 people plus gear.
REI Sub Kilo down 30 degree Bag
Big Agnes Air Core Pad
2 L Cook Pot and Esbit stove or Jetboil GCS, if I'm planning on cooking fancy food or if group camping I'll bring my Coleman Xponet 2 burner
Black Diamond Spot Headlamp
Tindersticks - Sawed down firelogs about the size of a pen
Book or Journal

I try to keep all of my camping gear and tools in one 35L luggage case so the other can be used for clothes, spare set of shoes, souvenirs, and food. Tank bag holds bad weather gear, charging equipment and chain cleaning stuff. A top case on the back carries camera gear and other electronics if I opted to bring them.

I pick up water at gas stations along with salt/pepper (although I often bring cayenne and lemon pepper from home), forks, and other consumibles.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 16, 2012

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'm hoping to go camping with a friend (and goon here) next month and we're getting close to having everything ready. Last on the list I am not 100% yet on choices is the sleeping bag. I want to start with something cheap first since I'm not 100% if this is for me and 2nd I live in California so it rarely drops into the super cold temps so a lightweight cheap bag isn't a horrible option. Here's my thought:

http://www.amazon.com/Suisse-Sport-Adventurer-Ultra-Compactable-Sleeping/dp/B001TR7QZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330465081&sr=8-1
Its a 40 dollar bag which is cheap as hell, but its very small form factor too. Advertises it goes down to 30 degrees, but I don't even want to camp when it gets that cold so I think it will work well.

Tent I am thinking this one, its inexpensive and the poles are short enough they fit into my tailbag so I don't need to strap it anywhere; I can stow it in a bag.
http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent

Finally so this isn't just a blog post here is a cool article I found on advrider, its about "budget traveling" but its more about "smart" traveling. He does things on a bicycle so not everything is 100% ironclad (I don't care if something is heavy as long as it fits in a bag/I can strap it down) but it is a fun read. Not too sure about camping near a cemetery though, I've seen too many movies. :)
https://umdrive.memphis.edu/jzelazny/public/BudgetTravel.pdf

For 20 bucks more this tent packs a bit smaller and will have a full-coverage fly (more waterproof in a longer strom), and provides a vestibule for wet gear/shoes/cooking. The only downside to this tent is that you would have a harder time setting it up if the ground is really hard since it's not self-standing. http://www.rei.com/product/833639/mountain-hardwear-lightpath-2-tent-2010-closeout

If you want to stick with self-standing and also want to stay under $100 these tents also provide a full coverage fly but won't pack quite as small.
http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Zenith-2-Person-Tent/dp/B004GEOWXM
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Apex-2XT-Tent-sleeps/dp/B0043HM5M2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 28, 2012

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

orthod0ks posted:

Awesome, thanks. I still intend to pick up a down sleeping bag when I find a reasonably priced rectangular one, but the old one will do in the mean time.

Big Agnes has bags which are not rectangular but shaped in such a way that they allow a good sized person to move around freely.

I've never slept in a rectangular sleeping bag that I thought was any good but part of me still really wants to get a King Soloman: http://www.google.com/products/cata...ved=0CGoQ8wIwAA

I also second the idea of getting a bag that's higher rated than what you need. One of the main issues with cheaper bags is that the temp rating is a flat out lie.

I've owned a Kelty 15F synthetic that I used regularly in 20-30F temps and even with a nalgene heater I was miserable counting down each minute till dawn.

On the other side I've used a Marmot 0F Coulier bag in -15F temps regularly and used it to sleep in the snow and been sung as a bug.

I've also owned TNF bags, LaFuma bags and REI bags and used Mtn Hardware, Big Agnes, coleman, slumberjack, and Alps Mountaineering.

I'm a warm sleeper, in colorado I still keep a leg outside of the comforter when sleeping in the house and my hands and feet rarely get cold unless I'm standing still for a long rear end time or building an igloo.

In my experience the following manufacturers can be trusted with their temp ratings:
Marmot
Mountain Hardware - although these tend to be cut very strangely for me
Big Agnes - provided you put a sleeping pad in the rear sleeve pocket

These brands tend to go 5-10 degrees optimistic:
REI
The North Face
LaFuma

These brands are a crap shoot some are ok but most are close to 20 degrees optimistic
Kelty
Slumberjack
Alps Mountaineering
Coleman

If you want to save money and don't mind strapping something resembling an office water cooler bottle on the back of your bike the military sleeping bag system is pretty drat warm. Buddies have igloo camped with me and been just fine in it. You also get 3 sleeping bags which zip into each other for varying degrees of warmth. They're all synthetic and do not pack small at all but it's an option if you don't mind the pack size/weight. On the plus side if you're not claustrophobic and you enjoy breathmints you can use the outer bivy layer as a coffin-like tent.

Online they're about 150 for set but local army surplus stores can have them as low as 75.
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?productID=7252&gclid=CPjf1pXxw64CFQ1jhwodvFypVw

While the packed size for a down bag looks small on the spec sheet of a website keep in mind that most down bags can be packed 2-3" smaller than the stuff sack would normally allow. Down is amazingly compressible, while down alternatives or other synthetic fills won't get much smaller than the stuff sack without the aid of a vacum pump.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

orthod0ks posted:

That's a good price. I'm in PA, just looking for a 3 season bag, so something rated around 30f. I was aiming for a down bag for compact-ability on the bike.

Edit: Just realized that packs down to 9.5x18"... that seems pretty compact. Anyone have an estimate on how small their down sleeping bag gets? My goal is to be able to get my tent/sleeping bag/ground pad into my saddle bags or perhaps a yet unpurchased ortlieb dry bag so I don't look like a moto-hobo carrying everything in trash bags.

Here's some down bags for an extra 40 bucks (REI is going to charge you tax most likely) http://www.departmentofgoods.com/lafuma-warmn-light-800ld-sleeping-bag-30-degree-down-womens We used LaFuma bags for our year long trip and they held up great, solid zippers and strong shells.

Or for an extra 60ish bucks a Marmot: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/marmot-angel-fire-sleeping-bag-25-degree-down-womens-mar1133 ( I think this is a steal as it's rated for 15F for men, and I paid close to 300 for a discounted 0F Marmot bag).

If you only have 60 bucks to spend on a bag I'd grab this one instead: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/the-north-face-aleutian-bx-sleeping-bag-20-degree-heatshield?cmp_id=&rrType=ClickCP&rrProd=TNF3899

Also bags made for girls tend to be slightly overstuff since most women are cold sleepers. If the bag is too small Department of Goods has an excellent return policy.

The only reason I could see getting a rectangular bag is if you're a land whale and won't physically fit into a mummy bag.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 29, 2012

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

MotoMind posted:

I used a large 15F synthetic Big Agnes bag on a wide pad and it was freezing at 40F. Being a skinny guy, I could never manage to heat the areas sagging down to the left and right of the pad. Brrr. It's like wearing baggy clothes.

From your pictures I think you and I are pretty slender, lots of the Big Agnes bags are cut pretty roomy but if they're sealed up I've found them to be very warm. If heat can escape though any bag is going to be a let down.

On the plus side most bags have 2 way zips so if you do have a 0F oven and it's only getting down 30 at night you can unzip the lower half or roll the draft tube back to adjust the temp.

I've camped with some XXL sized friends who swear by the Big Agnes bags and claimed they were completely comfortable at night when the temps were in the teens in a 20F rated bag but as always YMMV.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
All this camping talk has got me itching for spring, if any of you find yourselves in CO hit me up I know a handful of great moto-camping spots

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

BotchedLobotomy posted:

The latter sounds more fun but the last thing i need is to get hostel-ed by some whacko in the forest haha.

Unless you're hopping a fence to setup camp this simply is extremely unlikely to happen. Even then most people are normal and rational and if you're on their private property they may just ask you to leave. If you want/need to stealth camp, setup at dusk and leave at dawn.

When I plan a trip I try to string together as many national parks, state parks, national monuments etc as I can, If you're on the part of the map that's green odds are you can camp there, either in a designated campground or wild camping.

Most national parks do not allow wild camping just off the road, the notable exceptions are Death Valley (and only off certain roads), The Maze district of Canyonlands, and a handful in Alaska. National Park campgrounds tend to be pricey, but offer good services.

I've almost never gone wrong asking a local gas station attendent or local bike (moto or pedal) shop where some good local camping is. Some of them have led me to really spectacular places like the state park just outside of Fort Ross off Hwy 1 or Taylor Park in the heart of the rockies.

Loads of state parks allow camping, national grasslands and national forests are cool with people camping off the road but it's always nice to find a quieter road than a US highway to camp off of.

AAA maps are covered in little tent icons that indicate a AAA approved campsite, if you're a member these maps are also free.

The regional forums on ADV have loads of great local advice, just plan your route get a rough idea of where you want to be at the end of the day and either ask in advance or ask a local.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 29, 2012

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Korwen posted:

I'm in Central Texas, but I was considering taking a week or so off and riding up to CO to do some camping probably mid to late spring if there's any interest in organizing something there.

Definitely, I'm out of town from Mid April til early May but otherwise I'm game. BTW the paved passes around here start to clear (lose sand) in mid-may. Anytime after Memorial day is usually pretty clear save for a few in SW CO, just about all of the dirt passes are open by early July save for Perl Pass which remains closed sometimes till August.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 1, 2012

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
So here's a thought:

I was planning on renting out the Addie S cabin in SW Colorado for 4-5 days in mid-July. Why Mid-July? All the passes are open and the area around there is unparalled in terms of dual sport and road riding. http://www.skihuts.com/Pages/Addie%20S.html

The cabin is located here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...659da07b541c29e

If there's enough interest we could arrange a bit of a goon meet with cabin accommodations (kitchen, grill, multiple bathrooms, etc) and peel off for a night if people wanted to get their camp on. Clear lake is a fantastic spot for those with the ground clearance to get there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXFzPjw9pQs (skip to about 7:23 for the money shot)

There are no services (aside from water) at Clear lake, if you want to poop you're digging a hole, but the setting is completely worth it.

Other notable attractions include:
Lake Como at the top of Hurricane Pass:

California Pass:

Engineer Pass:

Red Mountain Pass:

Lizard Head Pass:

Ophir Pass:

For those on DRZs and WRs the redoubtable Black Bear Pass is also in the area:

For those looking to come out earlier in the spring the area around the Sangre de Christo Mountains is also fantastic. There's the great sand dunes, some really nice riding around Westcliffe, and a cool hippie town of Crestone with buddist stupas and natural hot springs. The Taylor Park area is also great for some light dual sport riding but most the dirt passes will remain closed until early July. Trail Ridge Road and Mt. Evans both try and open up on Memorial day. Both are fully paved, Trail ridge will take you about 40 miles all the way above 10,000 feet with some spectacular views. Mt. Evans will climb up to 14,000' and is the highest paved road in North America. Both have loads of tourists but the views are worth it.

Mt. Evans on Memorial Day:

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Annnnd now I'm sad that I'm in Illinois.

Only 600 miles from paradise!

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Korwen posted:

I'm game for that PlasticSun, just get some dates and I'll request the PTO. It'll probably be a 2 day/1 night ride for me to get there, so I'll have to account for that on either end.

Sounds good, shoot me a PM when you've got your dates. Yesterday, I just found out I may be guiding a through-hike of Rocky Mountain National Park from the 20-27th of July but otherwise mid-June through July is pretty open for me.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I haven't used this but it's cheap and a descent R value. It may be too small for your needs though.

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/pacific-outdoor-equipment-peak-oyl-mountain-sleeping-pad

If you can afford it go with the exped, I like my Air Core since it packs so small but it can be a pain to blow up.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 3, 2012

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

nsaP posted:

I'm pretty tall so that's an issue, I think that pad is like 3 1/2 feet. I'm not touring so time spent really isn't an issue. The most I'm planning now is weekend camping, and often I'll have cars with me.

I'm also not looking to spend a ton of cash. Down sleeping bags and $100+ pads are pretty sweet but the kind of camping I do is in the summer and I'm not on a rocky mountainside so I think I'll get by with a simple pad and cheap bag.

Steep and cheap has been running through Stoic Vamp 15F and Vamp 30F lately. For 100 bucks you get a down bag with a good temp rating. I picked up a Vamp 15 yesterday to replace a bag that got stolen on our last trip. Stoic bags generally have more shoulder/hip room than many other manufacturers.

Edit: If you don't mind strapping stuff to the outside of your luggage the Z-lite is cheap, and comfortable. Some people with sensitive skin get Therma-pox since you're on an egg-crate shaped foam pad but you never have to worry about puncturing it. This makes it good for a camp seat, knee pad etc. It accordion folds so there's no time spent rolling/strapping/stuffing in the morning.

http://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-Z-Lite-Sleeping-Regular/dp/B00453NA1E

That and a Vamp would set you back ~140-150 together and would be pretty comfortable.

More Edits: Here's a link to the Vamp but you can knock an extra 10 bucks or so off the price if you find it on SAC: http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-vamp-30-sleeping-bag-30-degree-down

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 3, 2012

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

nsaP posted:

Testing how to secure the load and what I'm going to use. For an overnight I think I can get away with something like this, more testing is in order.

All of that on the back is held down with 2 bungee cords and a strap for stability. I was kind of surprised how easy it was to strap up, but that backpack has a lot of places to tighten or attach to. I still need to experiment with other bags as well.

Looks like a good stack.

I also used a nylon strap for a while to hold everything down, with the right technique it's way more secure than traditional bungees. It just sucks when you need to pull one thing off and put it back on again. If you can find a deal on them RokStraps are just if not more secure and can be engaged and disengaged in seconds but if you're not in a rush nylon straps are the way to go. Over the course of a long trip all of the constant motion will stretch out the bungees rendering then next to useless.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

_Dav posted:

Is it painfully stupid to try camping without tents? Uncle and I decided to do the 'proper' travelling experience and avoid hotels if at all possible. We've got airbed/sleeping bag things, and he reckons we'll get away with just that as 'it's summer'. I'm struggling to convince myself that it won't rain at all, and that the temperature at night will be ok in a sleeping bag. We're going to go for a hotel once we hit the alps though.

Points to note: Europe in August, side-of-the-road stop wherever looks nice and France/Germany/Italy/Switzerland -> Croatia route.

I'm thinking of this tent (one each) http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3402052.htm#pdpProductReviews

Most of the pop up tents are still pretty big packed down (they usually pack down into a big circle). If you want to go as light (or cheap) as possible look for a single trekking pole or extendable ski pole, many outdoor shops will offer them at stupid low prices if you just want 1 or don't care about a matching set. If you plant 1 or two of those into the ground you can throw a tent over them and stake or weight down the tarp. It's a pain in the rear end to get in and out of this setup and you're still sleeping on the ground vs a tent floor but it's a fairly cheap solution to keep the rain off of you.

If you were camping in deserts I'd say you don't really need a tent other than to keep dust, and sand out of your gear, I have no idea what weather is like in europe in the summer but I'd imagine they get rain.

If you're not claustrophobic you can get a bivy sack which is a waterproof shell that goes over your sleeping bag so if it does open up at night you not soaked.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

axia posted:

I'd like to "try out" some dual-sport camping. Do you have any suggestions near Denver that are maybe easier to get to? Also, maybe where you don't need to ride on i70?

Well there's a few options that are "close" to Denver. My main suggestion would be Four Mile Recreation Area. It's down by Buena Vista about 2 - 2 1/2 hours south of Denver. No I-70 required. It's a big public recreation park with loads of 4x4 trails of every difficulty and lots of fast hard gravel in the south park valley.

There's plenty of established camping spots out there, I've marked one on this map.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...sz=12&via=1&z=9

Elkhorn road is a nice bypass of 285 that's all hard packed dirt that goes through open valleys.

An alternative to this that's closer but likely to be more crowded is the South Platte River / Lost Creek Wilderness. Also dosen't require any I-70. You head down towards Sedalia and then over Rampart Range, take the dirt bypass to the south platte river canyon. The river canyon road is paved with nice corners and there's camping along the river although spots fill up fast. The road dead ends in Deckers but you can take CO-67 a short ways and hop back onto the dirt at the entrance to Cheeseman Resivour. This route has a long hard packed dirt road with some washboard that moves through a large burn area (Hayman Fire). There's some good camping along or off the road here or you can stay on the road all the way to the Terryall Resivour and camp around there.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...t=v&mra=ps&z=10

Lost Creek

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
If anyone's looking for a tent I've got an MSR Zoid 1.5 that I don't think I need anymore, I could part with it for $40 plus shipping (it's about the size of a loaf of bread). If there's interest I can post some pics etc. It's used and the main pole has been repaired a few times but for a 1 man tent it's pretty great.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/msr_zoid_1_5_gg.html

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Belflek posted:

Has anyone tried out http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?
Having some folks uploading thier gpx files with landmarks, camping areas and gas stations and brothels would be pretty sweet for those of us to lazy to make our own, or not bought our gps yet.
I just started my camping build out on my klr with hard panniers, crash bar. Own a large tent so I may save the $$ for a smaller one
list so far

smaller tent
cooking jet
pots and pans
utensils
sleeping mat
pillow
sleeping bag
small chair - (Probably spring for a Kermit chair)
lamp
multi tool
SPOT help
missing anything?

The kermit chair doesn't pack down small (about 22" long), is heavy and is kind of a pain IMO, if you really want a chair I'm a fan of these:

http://www.backcountry.com/byer-of-maine-the-trilite-folding-stool

It's the size of a collapsed umbrella and and just right for for most chair needs. Not the best for long hours lounging but great for just chilling around a fire or eating off the ground. Also 1/4 the price of a Kermit. Not built for big people though, if you're much over 220lbs get something sturdier.

These aren't bad either if you just want some padding but I prefer the stool.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

DJCobol posted:

Its not really camping I guess, but I could use some pointers on a summer bike trip I've been day-dreaming about.

Nashville to Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak) to Denver, back to Nashville

Me:
Only been riding about 6 months now. Took the MSF beginner course last August, plan on taking the advanced course here in a month or two. I also plan on doing a few weekend trips around TN just to get used to riding on the bike for more than a few hours at a time joyriding around town.

The bike:
'06 Suzuki SV650S w/ 40k miles. Previous owner rode the poo poo out of it, but maintained it very, very well. Bike still looks brand new. Plan on getting new tires, brakes, chain and valve check/adjustment soon, just did an oil and filter change. Helpful bits on the bike:
1) SW Motech tank ring adapter (still need to get my own tank bag)
2) SW Motech rear bag platform. Took this off for now, but would put it back on and get a hard case to put on it.
3) 2 12v charging ports. One under the passenger seat, one up by the tach.

The plan:
Hotels. Lots of them. I have a poo poo-ton of Holiday Inn Express points that I will be using to stay in hotels all along the way. I don't personally enjoy camping anymore after being forced into it as a kid in the boy scouts. Plus I dont have a tent and all that other crap. I'd rather not waste the money buying one that I'll never use again and that I'd have to strap onto the bike. Same goes for a ground pad and a sleeping bag. Hotels are free, have comfy beds, washers/dryers, hot showers and free breakfast/snacks, so thats what I'll be doing.

Tentative itinerary for late summer trip:
Day 1 - Ride from Nashville, TN to Topeka, KS. 600ish miles (guy I work that has ridden cross country a few times says 600 a day is easily doable, even for a rookie rider)
Day 2 - Topeka, KS to Colorado Springs, CO
Day 3 - Colorado Springs area. Definitely want to go check out Pikes Peak and other places
Day 4 - Colorado Springs to Denver
Day 5 - Denver area
Day 6 - Denver to Topeka (or Kansas City if I'm feeling up for riding more/faster)
Day 7 - Ride home to Nashville.

Things I know I need:
1) More riding experience. Starting in March I will be doing 2-3 day trips around the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast area (Knoxville/Asheville, Atlanta, Memphis) to get more seat time.
2) Riding gear. Have a basic helmet, mesh jacket and gloves right now. Need a better helmet (really want a modular one w/ bluetooth), pants, boots and rain gear
3) Bike storage. Hoping I can fit most stuff for a week in a backpack w/ rainfly on my back seat. I still plan on getting a tank bag for smaller things like a point and shoot camera, my phone, wallet and other immediate use items, and then a bigger rear storage compartment for other stuff, especially if I decide to bring my DSLR along

Questions:
1) What else am I forgetting? What kind of bike maintenance should I do before leaving that I haven't already mentioned above?
2) What kind of emergency tools should I bring with me?
3) Where else should I plan on going while out there? I have enough room in my schedule to day another 1-2 days in the Colorado area.
4) When would be a good time to start planning this trip? Late enough in the summer that its not mind-numbing hot, but not cold enough that I have to start worrying about ice/snow in Colorado.

If you don't feel you can spend more time in CO I suggest you revise your route this way: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...s&via=3&t=m&z=6

Come in on US 50, it's much more interesting than 70, CO Springs is alright but check out Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak. Mt. Evans is also a nice ride up to 14,000 feet.

Buena Vista has some hot springs around it and hotels and makes for a nice bit of being closer to the mountains than Denver.

If you do plan to stay in Denver drop me a line and we can grab a beer or you can crash at our place.

Edit: We don't get snow until October but September can get cold quickly. Rain is more common in August than June. I'd suggest a Memorial Day trip or sometime in early June.

While it's true that 500+ miles can take all day if you're not used to it,if you already enjoy driving long distances riding long distances isn't bad at all. I really enjoy 500-700 mile days when the roads are empty and fast, sure it's loads of fun to wander around great twisty roads and just enjoy them but there's a great feeling of accomplishment when you're storming across the map. I don't think your schedule is overly ambitious and I know in the past I've done longer miles in less time and still felt great about it. If it's what works for your schedule go for it.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 27, 2013

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

needknees posted:

Can someone recommend a decent mid weight down sleeping bag and good ground pad that pack pretty small? Like normal I'm waiting till the last minute to get things ready for my trip to Colorado coming up in 2 weeks...

I have a giant loop coyote bag that will be going on my KTM 690 so space is somewhat at a premium. Between the coyote, a small tankbag, and my kreiga r35 I have a fair amount of space but bulky items are a pain. I've considered getting the bigger great basin bag but think money would be better spent on quality camping gear that fits in my current bag...

PS if anyone has good recommendations for routes it'd be appreciated :). Got a decent amount of time off this go around so my goal of finally seeing southwest Colorado will finally be realized! I'll be in golden Friday july 12 through 14 for a friend's wedding, then have the 15th-19th to mess around. Other than riding Mt. Evans again (this time to the summit! Road was closed last time I was there only made it to the lake) and Pike's peak, my only other destination is US550... And a fun way to get down there and back.

Can't wait to see mountains again! gently caress iowa :suicide:

Here's a Lafuma for about 180 it's 600 fill and I have another lafuma bag that's very similar to it, nice material doesn't leak down, and has taken loads of abuse, packs down to about a softball and a half.
http://www.backcountry.com/lafuma-lightway-35-sleeping-bag-35-degree-down

This Stoic has a much finer down, so it will compress further and have more loft when expanded. Higher loft bags like this will take a little more effort to shove into spaces but they will pack down nice and small.
http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-somnus-sz-30-sleeping-bag-30-degree-down?skuId=SIC0302-CHA-REG

Of the two I'd likely opt for the stoic, or if you're a warm sleeeper and packability is your main concern grab a Marmot Always Summer or Atom.
http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-always-summer-sleeping-bag-45-degree-down

When you pack the sleeping bag just stuff in in wherever you're putting it don't put it in the stuff sack as those actually eat up a fair bit of space.

550, and the loop going from Ouray to Durango to Lizard Head Pass is great. There's nice camping at Mancos State Park (near Mancos) and Mancos itself is a nice chill town with a good steakhouse and natural foods grocery store. Cool cafe south of the 160 highway junction as well.

The ride through Mesa Verde National Park is great with big elevation changes and cool mesa riding.

Silver Dollar Road is an easy dirt road through aspens and low valleys http://www.unpavedroadslesstraveled.com/2010/10/last-dollar-road-near-telluride.html

If you're running 90/10 tires and feel confident Cinnamon Pass is really pretty easy if it's dry and a great route from Silverton to Lake City. If nothing else head up to Animus Forks near silverton, it's a gravel road but minivans don't have any trouble with it. If you find the going hard turn around you're likely on the wrong road.

The switchbacks up to Bridal Veil Falls near Telluride are cool and fun, also gravel.

On your way there camping along Blue Mesa Lake is fun or take the right hand turn for an easy dirt road up through aspens to Rainbow Lake for more remote camping but great stars.

Old Monarch Pass and Marshall Pass are also easy graded gravel roads that make for fun and different mountain crossings, but paved Monarch pass has great pavement and loads of fun if there's not much traffic.

Expect a thunderstorm everyday at 3pm.

Here's a fun way to go from Denver to 550 with pavement and easy gravel mixed in:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...a=1,2,3&t=m&z=9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

thylacine posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bail to Colorado on Wednesday for tent campin' and motorcyclin'.

What's the one little thing I'm forgetting?

If you're going to be here over the weekend make sure you bring your rain gear.

• Locked thread