Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

PlasticSun posted:

Most of the pop up tents are still pretty big packed down (they usually pack down into a big circle). If you want to go as light (or cheap) as possible look for a single trekking pole or extendable ski pole, many outdoor shops will offer them at stupid low prices if you just want 1 or don't care about a matching set. If you plant 1 or two of those into the ground you can throw a tent over them and stake or weight down the tarp. It's a pain in the rear end to get in and out of this setup and you're still sleeping on the ground vs a tent floor but it's a fairly cheap solution to keep the rain off of you.

If you were camping in deserts I'd say you don't really need a tent other than to keep dust, and sand out of your gear, I have no idea what weather is like in europe in the summer but I'd imagine they get rain.

If you're not claustrophobic you can get a bivy sack which is a waterproof shell that goes over your sleeping bag so if it does open up at night you not soaked.

I stayed pretty drat dry using my $6 emergency tent during a huge rain storm on my last trip:

This was literally just a string and a tube shaped piece of plastic. If the rain had come w/ a bunch of wind I would have been pretty screwed. I didn't want to carry my tent because I thought we were going to end up in motels (ended up camping both nights). Luckily the 2nd night we were back on the dry side of the state and I was able to sleep out on the grass of a sweet state park right on the columbia river. I hate bivy sacks and I just need to keep an eye out for a good light 1+ tent that is cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Spare headlight seems like a weird thing to carry since even when one filament burns out you could run high beams or whatever. I carry a plug kit and a bicycle hand pump - it's a bit cheaper than messing with CO2 cartridges. I think a throttle lock of some sort is mandatory for any leaned over bike like an svs - much easier to move around and stretch out.

I honestly wouldn't take a motorcycle on the trip you've outlined. You live in a great area for lots of really fun motorcycle rides and you're outlining a huge interstate drone of a trip. I would not be surprised if you nearly fell asleep on your bike at least once on the trip - especially on that 600 mile day (ugh).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The best part of this discussion so far is nSap claiming there are any fitness benefits to disc golf.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pope Mobile posted:

Goddamn I really want to load up the bike and go camping somwhere once May hits and the rains start to pull back. Anyone have some good locations near water in Eastern Washington? Some of us have been talking about camping along the Columbia river around Memorial day.

Palouse Falls
Spiral Highway

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pope Mobile posted:

We all discussed it and settled on a campsite that's still on the east side but north rather than south: Lost Lake Group Unit Campground, Washington.

(At least) one of my friends is leaving early on the Friday of our trip to add a few miles and take HWY 20, as he's not ridden it before.

Here's our route:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...2&via=1&t=m&z=9

Are you doing this in one day? Going out and back? I can suggest a pretty decent loop depending on how many miles you want to cover. Prepare to freeze your rear end off going over the pass.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

It's supposed to warm up this weekend but here is the current telemetry on Washington pass:
http://www.nwac.us/weatherdata/washingtonpass/now/

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pope Mobile posted:

We're all camping over the weekend. Some people are driving while others are riding out. The trip is June 7-9, just a two nighter. How cold is the pass in early June? I know they're already clearing them. We're going to take 90 if it's not clear by then.

Oh you'd be fine by then.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Why not just use a tent?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If you can spare the space a paco pad or an nrs sleeping pad would be pretty pimp. Never tried to tour with mine.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Hammock forums?

There is not a thing I've seen about hammocks that makes me think I want one.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Insulation issues, inability to shift around / lay on stomach, less privacy, more hassle setting up. I understand it's a lighter setup but I'm just a tent dude.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The black market for camping gear is really big you know...

I've never heard of anyone having gear stolen off their bike in first world countries. I'm not a big fan of leaving my helmet / riding gear loose on my bike but otherwise I'd leave soft/hard bags on a bike without much worry. The main downside to soft luggage is they are a pain in the dick in the rain. Twisted Throttle is producing a dry bag solve luggage system that looks pretty badass which would soft the rain issues.

The best setup I've had is using hard top case with a rack to put it back behind the pillion seat. All your personal gear/tools go into that. Then you use a dry bag and lash your tent/pad/sleeping bag to the hard case - the givi luggage has spots for bungees to attach.

With that in mind - I'm selling two large givi cases - someone buy one or both :).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've taken the same picture too. I grew up not far from there.

I live not too far from there. Stay out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Stay out as in "we're all inbred shitkickers here, beware" or as in "goons, stay the gently caress away from me and mine"?

A little from column A and a little from column B

• Locked thread