Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Having actually done this last year, here's my 2 cents:

Tent: A simple backpacking tent is plenty. Its compact, lightweight, and still big enough for you and plenty of your crap. Whatever specialty camping equipment exists will be way too expensive. Bring a sleeping pad. A simple inflatable one will do. Also compact. Single-person sleeping bag, obviously. Bungee cords are great for securing these to your bike, though you can always shove the sleeping bag into a saddle bag.

Food: I picked some stuff up in town after setting up camp. I did have the advantage of a 46-liter Givi case though, which makes that super easy. If you want to skip that, MREs (you can buy them cheap on ebay) are great since they're compact and require no equipment besides a spork, bowl and water. Not the finest cuisine, mind you, but it'll get the job done. Trail mix works great as a snack.

As far as where to, it depends on what you're into and where you've been. Joshua Tree is kind of interesting, the Salton Sea area is worth a look if you're into that whole "poverty tourism" thing. Its a bit early for the mountains, I'd say.

redscare fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread