Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I've been out a couple times, though never alone. Last year we camped in the Monongahela with 8 of us. We had a chase car, but I'm all about getting what I need on my bike. We sort of go all out, so last year we packed a cooler of meat, but we may not have the luxury of a car this year. We'll probably buy our food locally. We do prefer to cook over the campfire than eat at restaurants, but we do it right. Last year we had filet mignon one night. You can cook just about anything with a cast iron pan and a campfire.

That was my setup. I have an over packing issue that I'll be working on this year. I also need a smaller sleeping bag (the white bag). I've since replaced my ground pad with a smaller (and more comfortable) one. Trash bags go a long way for water proofiness. I'll probably be adding a venture rack this year to give me some more room. I find myself fighting all my stuff for seat space on the ride.

Edit: Can someone recommend a reasonably priced compactly packed sleeping bag? I don't like mummy bags, and I don't camp in overly cold weather, though I wouldn't mind the option if the bag can handle it.

orthod0ks fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I mentioned picking up a compression sack for my garage sale sleeping bag. It's decent, but it rolls to the size of a dishwasher. My GIRLFRIEND said that that would mess up the back because it would remove the air pockets, and it's the air pockets that keep you warm. I'd never heard that. Just wondering if there's any truth to it?

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

The way sleeping bags work is the stuffing inside the bag expands to create an air pocket that insulates you from the outside air. You can compress your bag without any concerns when traveling but don't leave it in the compression bag when it's not packed for a trip. If you do it will be useless in a week or so depending on how well it's made. I destroyed a good sleeping bag when I was a kid by leaving it compressed over the winter.

Awesome, thanks. I still intend to pick up a down sleeping bag when I find a reasonably priced rectangular one, but the old one will do in the mean time.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Here's a synthetic taffeta rectangle bag from REI certified to 20f. Not a bad price. I don't know your season/climate but watch REI's closeout outlet online, some screaming deals can be had there from time to time.
http://www.rei.com/product/835880/the-north-face-dolomite-20-sleeping-bag-2011-closeout

That's a good price. I'm in PA, just looking for a 3 season bag, so something rated around 30f. I was aiming for a down bag for compact-ability on the bike.

Edit: Just realized that packs down to 9.5x18"... that seems pretty compact. Anyone have an estimate on how small their down sleeping bag gets? My goal is to be able to get my tent/sleeping bag/ground pad into my saddle bags or perhaps a yet unpurchased ortlieb dry bag so I don't look like a moto-hobo carrying everything in trash bags.

orthod0ks fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 29, 2012

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

PlasticSun posted:

Here's some down bags for an extra 40 bucks (REI is going to charge you tax most likely) http://www.departmentofgoods.com/lafuma-warmn-light-800ld-sleeping-bag-30-degree-down-womens

Or for an extra 60ish bucks a Marmot: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/marmot-angel-fire-sleeping-bag-25-degree-down-womens-mar1133

Also bags made for girls tend to be slightly overstuff since most women are cold sleepers. If the bag is too small Department of Goods has an excellent return policy.

The only reason I could see getting a rectangular bag is if you're a land whale and won't physically fit into a mummy bag.

Not a land whale, I just don't like feeling like I'm in a coffin. I generally sleep on my stomach, which is also difficult in a mummy bag.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

MotoMind posted:

^^^^ This is true.

Stomach sleeping worked out OK for me. I'd just use the top fold of the bag as part of my pillow. Try out some bags at REI.

Yea, everyone may have convinced me to just suck it up and learn how to sleep on my back. This whole camping thing is somewhat new to me and my pampered rear end.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

PlasticSun posted:

All this camping talk has got me itching for spring, if any of you find yourselves in CO hit me up I know a handful of great moto-camping spots

pretty pictures

Yea, I'm jonesin, and those pics are beautiful.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Rookie question and I feel stupid asking but for the guys who camp a lot, "where" do you camp? Do you usually pick camp destinations on a trip and drive there and set up and its a typical camping location? Or do you just ride and when you find a secluded area just drive off the beaten path a bit and set up camp there?

The latter sounds more fun but the last thing i need is to get hostel-ed by some whacko in the forest haha.

We pick a destination in advance. We've only been out 3-4 times, but we generally aim around the 250 mile mark and just look around google maps for an area that looks awesome.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

nsaP posted:

No primitive camping there? I'll try to avoid proper sites as much as I can. I hiked all that stuff 1/4 mile in 1 trip. Maybe facilities are the way to go but I'd rather get away from curfews and RVs.

This is appealing to me, but I've not had the balls to go a weekend without a shitter and a shower yet.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

xd posted:

I've got some questions for those with saddlebags. Who makes some good ones for a sportbike? I've heard some models can scratch the finish, so I'd like to avoid those. Also, have you had any problems with people going through your stuff while you're inside a store or restaurant? I'd be a little paranoid about that.

btw: Lots of good info in here, especially the hammock suggestion. Going to have to try that out. Thanks!

Many models will have soft guards on the inside of the bags to protect your paint. I know mine do. I've never had anyone mess with my stuff, but it's a possibility. The best way to protect against that would be to get lockable hard bags. Or, you just take the risk.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

cheesebot posted:

Going old school camping this weekend with a bunch of dirt bike hooligans in Pachaug, CT

I dig those old school hard bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

nsaP posted:

God drat I get annoyed when I can't say one thing about working on my bike without 5 people offering unsolicited advice but now it seems you can't even say you like something without some schmuck going out of his way to "help" you to something you didn't want. CA is too nice.

Hah... appreciate the help Charlie, but I might get kicked out of the Duc club if I put those on my mts.

• Locked thread