Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Title: The Manhattan Projects
Publisher: Image
Brief description: What if the atomic bomb was just a small part of the Manhattan Project? What if they were making all kinds of creepy poo poo?
Why I like it: It's just weird as hell. The art reminds me of Rugrats and the characters are pretty hosed up. They're just laying the groundwork now, but it has some definite promise. Also they keep Einstein locked up in a vault for some reason.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Issue 2 just came out this week, so the first one shouldn't be too hard to find.
Preview: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=10710

I'm going to go ahead and pimp one that I haven't read yet, because I'm pretty psyched for it.

Title: Popeye
Publisher: IDW
Brief description: Welp, it's a new Popeye comic done replicating the old art quite beautifully.
Why I like it: I am a sucker for Popeye. Plus, look at that cover. Look at it.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Issue 1 comes out next week, it's going to be a four part series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Flynn Taggart posted:

Why I like it: It's just weird as hell. The art reminds me of Rugrats and the characters are pretty hosed up. They're just laying the groundwork now, but it has some definite promise. Also they keep Einstein locked up in a vault for some reason.

I think mentioning that Oppenheimer's brother loving ate him might be a better example of the weirdness going on.

This comic is already pretty awesome. Hickman owns. In addition to the weirdness I also got a good laugh out of Richard Feynman's narcissism.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I picked up that Popeye comic having loved the cartoons but never actually reading any of E.C. Segar's stuff. Holy poo poo, Popeye and crew are douchebags. Olive Oyl does nothing but bitch and nag, her brother is a greedy jerk, Wimpy is just as lazy and useless as he is in the show, and Popeye is apparently invulnerable (he gets beat up in the show before winning but here he's Superman). The entire cast are dysfunctional assholes who are at each others throats the entire time. There's one scene where Popeye basically leaves Wimpy to die in the middle of the ocean for abandoning his useless watch post to have lunch.

I thought it was pretty good comic but for someone raised on the cartoons it's a kick in the nuts. I'm going to continue reading because I want to see how low these characters can go.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Inspired by me seeing Chronicle here's something probably not a lot of people have read.

Title:: A God Somewhere
Publisher: Wildstorm

Brief description: Another comic that dares ask the question: "What if Superman was a psychopath" as told from the perspective of the Superman stand-in's best friend. The kicker being that there aren't any other superpowered people on earth.

Why I like it: There are a lot of comics about Superman turning evil. To say it's fairly well trod ground is something of an understatement. The Sentry, Squadron Supreme, Irredeemable, The Boys, more than a few Elseworlds I'm sure, and the list goes on and on. What makes A God Somewhere stand out in that vast sea of media is how it presents the story, watching "Superman's" rise and fall from perspective of his best friend. Watching as the very human feelings of greed, anger, loneliness, and frustration warp this incredibly powerful person's mind until he's almost an animal is heartbreaking.

As far as the art goes, Peter Snejbjerg does a commendable job. The book is incredibly violent, even by crazy superman story standards. When he throws a tank though a building, you see all the broken bodies of the innocent people caught in the crossfire between a god and the desperate soldiers and police tasked with trying to stop the unstoppable.

Issue that is a good jumping on point: It's all self contained and in a trade. Just get it off amazon.

I just read this and I'm not sure I can give it a ringing endorsement. The core concept is fine, I guess, although a little worn. What I find irritating is that the motivations of Eric just seem inscrutable. It seems like he receives the powers and then there's a part missing where we see what leads him to snap, and then suddenly he's crippling his brother, raping his sister-in-law and murdering little girls; basically taking out all of his petty urges all of a sudden. And yes, I did notice the disconnection he'd been feeling for years but even so becoming a mass murderer is a big jump to make. He certainly doesn't seemed to have gained any transcendent knowledge, but instead he just seems like an average (or maybe below-average) intelligence person who gets powers and has a brittle mind. It wasn't bad, and I don't feel like I wasted my time reading it, but I don't believe it's one of the better examples of Superman-gone-wrong. Yeah, I know the side-characters are as much of a focus as Eric, but even so it felt a bit lacking. Irredeemable I actually thought had a more interesting and nuanced take on the crazy God-king thing, but then it got bogged down and really bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Title:: Hilda and the Midnight Giant
Publisher: Nobrow
Brief description: Hilda and her mother live in their ancestral home in the hills alongside magical creatures. After receiving an eviction notice because their house is an obnoxious eyesore planted in the middle of a country ruled by one-millimeter-tall invisible elves, Hilda has to convince the elf king for a truce before her mother decides to move to the city. At the same time she befriends a skulking giant who waits by her house every night whose life story is connected to Hilda's own plight.
Why I like it: It's a funny, cute, all-ages book. Unlike the typical wide-eyed protagonist you normally see in these types of stories, Hilda is rather aggressive and resorts to brute force before switching to her soft side which results in humorous moments with the more passive magical creatures she encounters. It's also a very beautiful hardcover book printed in full color on high quality paper in large A4 album format.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Amazon gets a few in stock every month then sells out instantly until the next month. Hildafolk came out first but Midnight Giant is a "reboot" to the series although each story is a complete adventure that doesn't carry over.

Preview the book here.
Check out a Hilda comic here.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 28, 2012

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

al-azad posted:

I picked up that Popeye comic having loved the cartoons but never actually reading any of E.C. Segar's stuff. Holy poo poo, Popeye and crew are douchebags.
I haven't seen this comic yet, but that all sounds pretty close to Segar's comic strips! Who are the artist(s)/writer(s) in this venture? I hope they can keep up the good work -- of the current comic strips, the Sundays are utterly dire and the (recycled) dailies are pretty tired.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

al-azad posted:

Publisher: Nobrow
Brief description: Hilda and her mother live in their ancestral home in the hills alongside magical creatures. After receiving an eviction notice because their house is an obnoxious eyesore planted in the middle of a country ruled by one-millimeter-tall invisible elves, Hilda has to convince the elf king for a truce before her mother decides to move to the city. At the same time she befriends a skulking giant who waits by her house every night whose life story is connected to Hilda's own plight.
Why I like it: It's a funny, cute, all-ages book. Unlike the typical wide-eyed protagonist you normally see in these types of stories, Hilda is rather aggressive and resorts to brute force before switching to her soft side which results in humorous moments with the more passive magical creatures she encounters. It's also a very beautiful hardcover book printed in full color on high quality paper in large A4 album format.
Issue that is a good jumping on point: Amazon gets a few in stock every month then sells out instantly until the next month. Hildafolk came out first but Midnight Giant is apparently the first in the series although each story is a complete adventure that doesn't carry over.

This sounds pretty amazing, though they are a tad expensive for how short they are. Would they be appropriate for a 7 year old girl? I love finding stuff to read with my daughter.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

choobs posted:

This sounds pretty amazing, though they are a tad expensive for how short they are. Would they be appropriate for a 7 year old girl? I love finding stuff to read with my daughter.

I think she could enjoy them. Here's a standalone Hilda comic to give you an idea of the style. Here's a preview from Midnight Giant and a preview from Hildafolk which is an older collection of stories. According to Pearson, Midnight Giant is his attempt at rebooting the character into a full fledged series so Midnight Giant is the first in the "canon" if you can call it that.

If your daughter likes comics, check out Amelia Rules. Fun stories for kids but the characters sometimes deal with heavy stuff like divorces and deaths in the family so it's crazy without being throwaway and uninteresting. Gownley is also one of the best hand letterers I've seen in recent years and he turns his words into pictures themselves.

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I haven't seen this comic yet, but that all sounds pretty close to Segar's comic strips! Who are the artist(s)/writer(s) in this venture? I hope they can keep up the good work -- of the current comic strips, the Sundays are utterly dire and the (recycled) dailies are pretty tired.

Roger Langridge (W) and Bruce Ozella (A). Langridge is best known for The Straightjacket Fits, a story published in Judge Dredd Megazine, and his webcomic Fred the Clown which earned him a poo poo ton of critical acclaim including two Eisner nominations. Ozella is a veteran graphic artist but this is his first comic and everyone has said nothing but praise for his spot on style. The comic has been well received so far and I must say that it's pretty good. Keeping with tradition of old comics there's a lot of dialog but it's interspersed with good visual humor and the characters are such dickheads.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 28, 2012

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

al-azad posted:

Langridge is best known for The Straightjacket Fits, a story published in Judge Dredd Megazine, and his webcomic Fred the Clown which earned him a poo poo ton of critical acclaim including two Eisner nominations.

Also a lengthy run writing and drawing The Muppets for Boom Studios, his new comic there called Snarked, and a number of writing assignments at Marvel, including most significantly Thor: The Mighty Avenger.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dickeye posted:

Exception: Spawn.

Is it really that terrible? The impression I got was that, for a comic that basically singlehandedly caused the Dark Age, it's pretty readable.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WickedIcon posted:

Is it really that terrible? The impression I got was that, for a comic that basically singlehandedly caused the Dark Age, it's pretty readable.

It's physically readable in that your eyes can look at it and take in the information and so on and so forth.

Is it actually readable? gently caress no. I was going to read Spawn and mock it and I gave up after three issues. It's like concentrated 90s.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dickeye posted:

It's physically readable in that your eyes can look at it and take in the information and so on and so forth.

Is it actually readable? gently caress no. I was going to read Spawn and mock it and I gave up after three issues. It's like concentrated 90s.

Is there some Spawn omnibus that collects large phonebook sized portions of the series? I know Witchblade has one, but I figured that Witchblade was considered worse than Spawn.

I've always wanted a large Spawn omnibus, not to read however. It would be along the lines of owning a Ncronomicon. You own it not to read it, but to show people something so vile they cannot even begin to fathom it's existance.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Vaerai Archon posted:

Is there some Spawn omnibus that collects large phonebook sized portions of the series? I know Witchblade has one, but I figured that Witchblade was considered worse than Spawn.
Why yes there is! It comes out later this month, and collects #1-49 in black and white.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wasn't there some enormous hardcover released awhile back, also?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Endless Mike posted:

Wasn't there some enormous hardcover released awhile back, also?

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure it went out of print, considering that I don't think he had the approval from Gaiman, Moore, et. al. for the reprint...

edit: though I don't really get how this would make sense with the compendium hitting, so I should probably be ignored? Still, I remember this being talked about a lot...

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 1, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really wonder how they got Alan Moore of all people to write for Spawn.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Alhazred posted:

Well they also got Dave Sim, so. It was like a year into the series and both guys were very into independent publishing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Comics Alliance wrote a thing about this era, and there's a big chunk about the #8–11 guest star writer extravaganza.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Alhazred posted:

The same way they got him to write Supreme. "Hey, can you write something for my book? You can just do whatever you want."

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Alhazred posted:

Todd McFarlane had not yet revealed himself as a massive rear end in a top hat. Image was still in it's early "We're gonna be better than Marvel and DC" stage.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So Brian K Vaughn's Saga pretty much blew my tits off. What a fantastic start to something pretty different.

TV heads having sex all over the place.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Anyone else reading Bulletproof Coffin have a "reading order" for the last issue? After looking at everything there's surely a few loose narratives amongst the panels, but I'm not smart enough to piece them together.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

petewhitley posted:

Anyone else reading Bulletproof Coffin have a "reading order" for the last issue? After looking at everything there's surely a few loose narratives amongst the panels, but I'm not smart enough to piece them together.

Uh, maybe there isn't one? There is the through-line with Steve, and something about a meteorite landing among monkey-men that stalk his dreams or something, but I just enjoyed it as a discombobulated dream like narrative. Everything is cool and interesting in only one panel bytes. Really fun read.

Okay, when I went overboard about Saga, I think I spoke too soon. Seigfried, drawn and written by Alex Alice (IIRC), is the best thing I've read in ages. It is just the start of the story and I already feel in the hands of a capable storyteller about to get into an incredible story. Get it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Vaerai Archon posted:

I've always wanted a large Spawn omnibus, not to read however. It would be along the lines of owning a Ncronomicon. You own it not to read it, but to show people something so vile they cannot even begin to fathom it's existance.

So basically the fact that the HBO series is actually pretty good was nothing short of a small (more like very large, but eh) miracle.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Shageletic posted:

Uh, maybe there isn't one? There is the through-line with Steve, and something about a meteorite landing among monkey-men that stalk his dreams or something, but I just enjoyed it as a discombobulated dream like narrative. Everything is cool and interesting in only one panel bytes. Really fun read.

Yeah I enjoyed it as laid-out, but looking through it again it seems as though most of the panels are actually from a handful of scenes that have been reordered so as to disrupt any sense of narrative. That coupled with the pedigree of this book and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was more to it.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

petewhitley posted:

Yeah I enjoyed it as laid-out, but looking through it again it seems as though most of the panels are actually from a handful of scenes that have been reordered so as to disrupt any sense of narrative. That coupled with the pedigree of this book and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was more to it.

The issue was done using the cut-up technique (as popularised by William S. Burroughs).

Some info here: http://www.waitingfortrade.com/2012/04/bulletproof-coffin-disinterred-4.html

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Shameless posted:

The issue was done using the cut-up technique (as popularised by William S. Burroughs).

Some info here: http://www.waitingfortrade.com/2012/04/bulletproof-coffin-disinterred-4.html

Great, now you've activated the horrible comic-book collector in me by making me realize that I was temporally horrified by the fact an old comic was cut up.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

LashLightning posted:

Great, now you've activated the horrible comic-book collector in me by making me realize that I was temporally horrified by the fact an old comic was cut up.

Yeah, people flipped out about it and then were told that it was probably worth a few hundred dollars, not thousands or tens of thousands.

Some were probably still angry, but whatever, Bulletproof Coffin is awesome.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

So did anybody check out Frankenstein Alive, Alive this week? I think I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow, it looks pretty sweet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Flynn Taggart posted:

So did anybody check out Frankenstein Alive, Alive this week? I think I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow, it looks pretty sweet.

I liked it. Great art, good writing, and I've always liked the original story for its humanization of this newly born monster in a world that fears him.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Wow. I am halfway through it right now, and I had to put it down just to post how loving incredible it is. The art is all black and white and just looks..gorgeous. It doesn't look like comic book art at all, it feels like a combination of old wood etchings and those pictures from scary stories to tell in the dark. Was the original run from the 80's this good? I might have to pick it up.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm really looking forward to the Valiant relaunch. I used to read my older cousin's Valiant books when I was a kid; I especially liked Bloodshot and Eternal Warrior for the historical fiction and the proto samurai jack respectively.

At the risk of sounding like a weaboo, I'm especially looking forward to Bloodshot :allears:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

al-azad posted:

Is this anything like Moomin? The art seems pretty similar to Tove Jansson's style.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

Is this anything like Moomin? The art seems pretty similar to Tove Jansson's style.

Hilda does have Mymble's nose but other than being a story about oddball magic creatures, they're not really similar. Then again, nothing is quite like Moomin.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm really looking forward to the Valiant relaunch. I used to read my older cousin's Valiant books when I was a kid; I especially liked Bloodshot and Eternal Warrior for the historical fiction and the proto samurai jack respectively.

At the risk of sounding like a weaboo, I'm especially looking forward to Bloodshot :allears:

I hope they keep the no-FTL rule. Greatly anticipating spider aliens.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Saga is drat well the best new series of 2012. Brian K. Vaughn is like a much better Joss Wheadon in how he can create a setting spanning worlds with so much detail and yet maintain focus on a handful of characters. I love how the character designs are just so creative like that race of TV headed aliens. And Staple's art just feels so natural for Vaughn's writing.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Have you guys seen this kickstarter? I've never read anything by Mark Andrew Smith but Stokoe's doing the art so it could be blank speech bubbles for all I care.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Starks posted:

Have you guys seen this kickstarter? I've never read anything by Mark Andrew Smith but Stokoe's doing the art so it could be blank speech bubbles for all I care.

You know, I saw it get tweeted about a few times and somehow ignored that Stokoe was on it. Hardcopy, here I come.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I wonder if Kickstarter and the inevitable websites like it might finally be something that gives us the push into a surge of new creator owned content. It's obvious that you can raise obscene amounts of money is a short time if you're even halfway decent at social networking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I wonder if Kickstarter and the inevitable websites like it might finally be something that gives us the push into a surge of new creator owned content. It's obvious that you can raise obscene amounts of money is a short time if you're even halfway decent at social networking.

You mean something like this?