Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trogdor_666
Mar 12, 2010
I have started a suppression runemaster on Genesis to play with you guys, name is Spookykid. Is the guild name still the same as in the original thread? I do not see anyone online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Trogdor_666 posted:

I have started a suppression runemaster on Genesis to play with you guys, name is Spookykid. Is the guild name still the same as in the original thread? I do not see anyone online.

... It's been dead for over a year.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Rip DAoC. Does anyone still play live?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

im gay posted:

Rip DAoC. Does anyone still play live?

I got tired of waiting around for people to come back and eventually just quit again.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Combo posted:

I got tired of waiting around for people to come back and eventually just quit again.

Same. I even joined a more active guild only to realize I still hate NF. Boring cookie cutter trash.

E: Uthgard or bust, honestly.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Same.

Been faffing about trying different pvp mmo's while waiting on Unchained. GW2 would almost do it but the art style grates on me for some reason.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
How is Uthgard going to be different than Genesis? I got 50 on Genesis at release but the population dropped off so quick, I'm not even sure what happened.

I tried GW2 but the questing and overall MMO elements are retarded. I just want an MMO with merciless PvP, maybe I should try EVE.

Trogdor_666
Mar 12, 2010
I want to play daoc while I wait for next Albion online alpha. You should look into it for good pvp.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

im gay posted:

I got 50 on Genesis at release but the population dropped off so quick, I'm not even sure what happened.

At the start Genesis was really great. I think the grouping bonus was awesome (maybe they overdid it just a little though, but whatever).
However due to its success the population cap got reached really quickly resulting in long log-on queue's. And when they raised the cap the server struggled with stability and needed frequent zone resets to debugg everything.

But I think what really drove many players away was some scandal about the devs paying the top guilds of one realm like 20 or 50p each + an instant lvl 50 toon to migrate to Albion which was currently somewhat underpopulated.
This kind of actions are really never well received.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah don't give the losing side better incentives to play a realm through exp and rp bonuses, just give em tons of cash and a free transfer. That really helps with realm pride.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Live has been really strong as of late, they're doing a whole new quest chain with new items and just finished an rvr centered quest which was pretty neat as well. What realms are you guys playing on? And at what times? It seems that Hib is really strong during EU primetime but is smaller during US primetime, with alb and mid being strong during the US prime times.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Evernoob posted:

At the start Genesis was really great. I think the grouping bonus was awesome (maybe they overdid it just a little though, but whatever).
However due to its success the population cap got reached really quickly resulting in long log-on queue's. And when they raised the cap the server struggled with stability and needed frequent zone resets to debugg everything.

But I think what really drove many players away was some scandal about the devs paying the top guilds of one realm like 20 or 50p each + an instant lvl 50 toon to migrate to Albion which was currently somewhat underpopulated.

That left a pretty bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths, but ultimately no one cared. Alb had virtually no RvRers at that point. It was more or less the constant game breaking bugs. Those zone freezes dropping all your buffs that would happen in emain like 2-3 times an hour were personally the worst. At the same time, those zone freezes wouldn't wipe RA buffs, so you would have Alb groups running around with permanent SoS (only happened 3 times to me, personally). And then guy loving ADMITTING TO HACKING AND TELEPORTING WITH THE MID RELIC and only getting a 24 hours or whatever suspension because the only English speaking GM "liked his honesty". The gently caress.

Also concurring that Albion Online is cool and good.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

They also didn't even reset the relics that were taken via hacking if I remember correctly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evernoob posted:

Classic Mythic right there.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Classic Mythic right there.

Mythic actually had nothing to do with that. Genesis was a freeshard server.
Problem was the population was capped at around 900 at the start, while at least 2000-3000 people tried to play. So instead of fixing remaining bugs they rushed into increasing the cap resulting in horrible server stability and people exploiting.
After those exploits like relic thefts (not going to call them captures) they failed to punish those players accordingly.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Twlight posted:

Live has been really strong as of late, they're doing a whole new quest chain with new items and just finished an rvr centered quest which was pretty neat as well. What realms are you guys playing on? And at what times? It seems that Hib is really strong during EU primetime but is smaller during US primetime, with alb and mid being strong during the US prime times.

I made a Skald during the 14-day free trial and it was pretty easy to level. Not much community though and Midgard seems the lowest pop. Can't even exit the BG keeps without getting killed.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

im gay posted:

I made a Skald during the 14-day free trial and it was pretty easy to level. Not much community though and Midgard seems the lowest pop. Can't even exit the BG keeps without getting killed.

some of the BGs are just terrible for leveling, Molvik being the worst since everyone usually is templated, and working in 8v8 groups ganking xpers. I found that most of the quests up to 35ish have been reworked in the main zone ( Albion in my case I would assume they've done mid/hib as well ) to provide more xp as well as a set progression with armor, weapons and such to get new players off the ground. I'm not sure of the bigger guilds on Mid but I know there are plenty of larger guilds looking for new players in Albion. Which usually come with a strong alliance/access to crafters etc etc.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Necroing this thread to say that Uthgard actually exists! They invited a small group of people for closed beta testing.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

Necroing this thread to say that Uthgard actually exists! They invited a small group of people for closed beta testing.

Somebodies gotta tell 'em if the small and medium sized bushes in emain are placed correctly.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Only a year or so to go, then!

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have an overview of what each class does?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nirvikalpa posted:

Let the game die.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Nirvikalpa posted:

Live or freeshard?

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kazvall posted:

Live or freeshard?

Either. I'm just curious how you can get distinct roles with so many classes.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Nirvikalpa posted:

Either. I'm just curious how you can get distinct roles with so many classes.
You don't. It is a serious problem that had plagued the design of the game from the start.

here is my cynical rundown:
Armsman/hero/warior - Melee damage and tank
Cabalist/enchanter/spirit master - caster with pet
wizard/eldrich/runemaster - casters with bolts
sorcerer/mentalist - utility/damage casters
Cleric/druid - healer and buffer
healer - healer and utility
shaman - buffer and healing
Friar/heretic/reaver/paladin/champion/valewalker/warden/thane/valkyrie - melee with magic
mauler/mercenary/blademaster/beserker/savage - melee dps
Infiltrator/nightshade/shadowblade - stealth melee
scout/ranger/hunter - stealth ranged
Minstrel/bard/skald - makes group run fast
necromancer/animist/theurgist/bainshee/bonedancer/warlock/vampiir - classes with some sort of gimmick with varying effectiveness depending on situation

e: I forgot to mention crowd control which is done primarily by sorcerer/bard/healer. There are nuances that differentiate each class, but the problem is that not every class has something to bring to the table in a group setting. This leads to groups essentially needing a certain combination of classes for the core of the group (healer, buffer, crowd control, speed) which is then filled out with dps spots.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 27, 2015

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

CopperHound posted:

You don't. It is a serious problem that had plagued the design of the game from the start.

here is my cynical rundown:
Armsman/hero/warior - Melee damage and tank
Cabalist/enchanter/spirit master - caster with pet
wizard/eldrich/runemaster - casters with bolts
sorcerer/mentalist - utility/damage casters
Cleric/druid - healer and buffer
healer - healer and utility
shaman - buffer and healing
Friar/heretic/reaver/paladin/champion/valewalker/warden/thane/valkyrie - melee with magic
mauler/mercenary/blademaster/beserker/savage - melee dps
Infiltrator/nightshade/shadowblade - stealth melee
scout/ranger/hunter - stealth ranged
Minstrel/bard/skald - makes group run fast
necromancer/animist/theurgist/bainshee/bonedancer/warlock/vampiir - classes with some sort of gimmick with varying effectiveness depending on situation

e: I forgot to mention crowd control which is done primarily by sorcerer/bard/healer. There are nuances that differentiate each class, but the problem is that not every class has something to bring to the table in a group setting. This leads to groups essentially needing a certain combination of classes for the core of the group (healer, buffer, crowd control, speed) which is then filled out with dps spots.

Plagued? More like "made it an actual good game".

Live sucks, just don't bother. The "RvR" there is 100 people in a battlegroup taking undefended keeps and avoiding the other realm's 100+ people in a battlegroup taking undefended keeps. And on occasion there may be 2-3 rr12 8 man groups running around and fighting eachother. Over and over.

Despite the over-cynical breakdown, it's a fair definition of the archetypes. Except every single caster is a "utility caster" and no one uses bolts. And mauler/warlock/vampiir/bainshee/heretic/valkyrie don't exist. Friar/Warden are healers/buffers with melee. Paladin is an end/slam bot. Shamans are buffers and interrupters. They heal roughly never.

This game's classes were designed with more than one facette of RvR in mind. A blademaster isn't very good at keep defense, but a thane is. Same with soloing. Stealthers don't belong in groups - they have no utility and their mechanics make it nearly impossible to properly utilize.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Let the game die.

you first....

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

PriNGLeS posted:

Plagued? More like "made it an actual good game".

Agreed 100%, the enormous class diversity, and non-mirrorred aspect over the reals is what actually made the game as good as it was. Some group compositions were simply not viable on one realm and totally owned on the other.
Also reducing Minstrels and Bards to speedbots is a little harsh (however for Skald it is quite accurate). Bard is probably the King of utility over all games I have ever played.

Yes it is true that some classes just did not fit in a min-maxing enviromant of hardcore 8v8's (Thane for example), but in a zerg/keep defense they were totally awesome. On paper Animists weren't that good either, but my server had an animist that just played his class so well he was widely respected and feared.

As for the "Roles", you probably mean the Holy Trinity of Tank/DPS/Heal. In DaoC you needed more to have a "complete" 8man Group
Speed : Bard/Minstrel/Skald , 1 per group, mandatory for 8man roaming but there have been groups that ran succesfully without and settled for lesser speed
Healing : Druid/Cleric/Healer : 1 or 2 per group usually for Hib/Alb, up to 3 per group for Midgard as all 3 speclines for Healers were not only viable, but even awesome (best healing class in any game ever)
Main Assist : Usually a mellee class, but full caster groups have existed with great succes : Pretty much anything goes, but classes with either Shield Slam available and Determination (anti-CC) were preferred
DPS/Peel: Also anything goes, having determination and snares/stuns to keep enemies of your casters/healers was a plus. Full casters filled the DPS role
Utility : Mostly related to Endurance Buff, but the 6 resist buffs which were always split between two classes per realm were also very imporant. Mana Regen was also handy but not mandatory. (Bard had all of this)
Buffer: Even in the age of buffbots You usually took a cleric/druid with some buffing capabilities. Midgard had to bring a shaman as they also provided the End Regen buff.
Crowd Controller : AE mez+Stun often decided who would win the engagement. Bard/Sorcerer/Healer with other classes to lesser extent had this role.
Bodyguard/Utility : A not mandatory role but very strong if you build your group around it. Wardens/Friar/Paladins were good at this, but other classes could fill the role

As you see there were many roles/skills that could be added to a group, and most classes were actually good (when specced correctly) at two or more roles. However similar classes in the other realms were often good at a different set of roles, so group compositions heavily varied.
Where Hibernia had the Bard who could fill most utility roles on its own (speed/resist buff/end+mana regen/Crowd Control/secondary healer), they often had enough room to bring every kind of utility
Albion on the other hand had all these skills spread out over different classes, so their group compositions were more spread out and often missed something.
Midgard could field an awesome mellee group with a minimal amount of classes, while having all core skills with them (Skald, 2/3 healer, shaman, 4/3 mellee dps)

gawd i hope Camelot Unchained follows the same model of class roles...

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Evernoob posted:

Midgard could field an awesome mellee group with a minimal amount of classes, while having all core skills with them (Skald, 2/3 healer, shaman, 4/3 mellee dps)

gawd i hope Camelot Unchained follows the same model of class roles...

Oh yes it was so great that you could not get a group to step out onto the battlefield without a skald, a pac healer, an aug/mend healer, and a shaman.

I agree that those are amazing classes, but the problem is that MOST of the group utility is concentrated in a few classes which makes them essentially mandatory in every group leaving players of other classes without a regular crew begging for scraps or humping keeps... I guess you could play the stealth game with bags full of poisoned weapons.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CopperHound posted:

Oh yes it was so great that you could not get a group to step out onto the battlefield without a skald, a pac healer, an aug/mend healer, and a shaman.

I agree that those are amazing classes, but the problem is that MOST of the group utility is concentrated in a few classes which makes them essentially mandatory in every group leaving players of other classes without a regular crew begging for scraps or humping keeps... I guess you could play the stealth game with bags full of poisoned weapons.

I remember running around hib without a speed buffer or buffbots. You couldn't step out in rvr solo at all unless you were a stealther, then you never were allowed in groups. Real great design.

Also stealthers were unbeatable in 1v1.

Its as much fun as playing Eve, solo. Remember wow killed all mmos that were like this. I wonder what will happen?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 28, 2015

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

I remember running around hib without a speed buffer or buffbots. You couldn't step out in rvr solo at all unless you were a stealther, then you never were allowed in groups. Real great design.

Its as much fun as playing Eve, solo. Remember wow killed all mmos that were like this. I wonder what will happen?

That was just you being bad at the game.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Hah, this is serious BS, Stealthers had the one and only advantage of being able to choose their fights, and there were indeed a couple of classes they could kill IF they got the jump and their ambush style off.
However I can name you a dozen of classes they would not even attempt killing solo.

If anything Nightshades etc were underpowered, that's why they didn't fit in the 8v8 metagame. But their stealth ability made up for that partially to play the sub-game of stealther vs stealther around well-known ambush points, or cherry-picking their targets (often in a 2 stealthers vs 1 situation.

Also not being allowed into RvR solo, well...duh? that's why it was the first RvR game and didn't use the word "PvP". Classes were not meant to all be "balanced" for 1v1. There were stories of Healers and Clerics being able to 1v1 really well, but that has never been the point.
In modern games "Support" classes are always able to kill enemies (AI or Players) solo to a certain degree. However in Dark Age these classes would never reach 50 solo, but that wasn't a problem cuz they were heavily sought after in a group.
During Genesis server I actually played a Healer, and never had to look for a group longer then 5 minutes.

WoW has never been a good mass PVP game. Alterac Valley was a zerg. The battlegrounds at first were okay (back when you had to grind your rank) and the good players surrounded themselves in a nice premade group.
Arena PVP was very strict and the same restrictions applied if you wanted to have good results as the ones you dismissed that were in DAoC.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Good thing you didn't mention the infiltrator 10s stun or the Shadowblade's ambush with a twohander. Theres a reason why the daoc "classic" server never stayed popular more than a month.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, Genesis isn't popular because it sucks. Uthgard would have 800-1000 people at prime time.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Evernoob posted:

During Genesis server I actually played a Healer, and never had to look for a group longer then 5 minutes.
It is all good when there is a new healthy population, but I tried leveling a healer sometime between ToA and catacombs. Good luck finding leveling groups when the entire server is top heavy.

It was demoralizing to log in and find nobody within my level range. The fact that I could do nothing productive at all without a group only rubs salt in the wound.

E: Maybe if I wasn't such a mediocre player I could find groups often enough to keep me from quitting after a month or two.... every two years

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 28, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Copper, you are a good player :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CopperHound posted:

It is all good when there is a new healthy population, but I tried leveling a healer sometime between ToA and catacombs. Good luck finding leveling groups when the entire server is top heavy.

It was demoralizing to log in and find nobody within my level range. The fact that I could do nothing productive at all without a group only rubs salt in the wound.

E: Maybe if I wasn't such a mediocre player I could find groups often enough to keep me from quitting after a month or two.... every two years

Nah man healers could really solo well in this game. I think you just auto attacked things down. Didn't healers/any healing class basically have no dmg or did healers get styles?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Friars, Valkyries, and Wardens got styles, but none of the others did. Shamans, Druids, and Clerics could all solo pretty well, with Druids being the standouts thanks to their pets. Healers were the odd man out because of the fact that they really lived up to their name. I think they eventually gave them some kind of damage add buff, but it was still just autoattacking things down, and it came with none of the safety of, say, Druid.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Healers had a combination of Augmentation Self buffs, Damage Adds and Attack Speed buffs.
I was really slow though. Don't Solo in an oldskool MMO.

Modern MMO's are made so you actually don't need to group at all and can do most of the content solo. If that is your thing go rather play Elder Scrolls or an other actually good RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Aug healers were one of the best/most efficient soloers in the game. To a point. They couldn't do high purple mobs like shamans could. But they could chain through oj mobs with 0 down time. Not the fastest, either, but this game was all about minimizing downtime.

Druids were about on par with clerics for the worst. Less downtime than a cleric, but way slower.

• Locked thread