Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Combo posted:

I'll try with what I know:

Healer types
Warden - seems like you have that one covered...heals, chants, block bot, minor melee damage, baseline buffs, has self-haste and celerity, and requires ML melee styles to do any sort of decent melee damage
Bard - crowd control, heals, chants, minor melee damage, and baseline buffs
Druid - heals, buffs(specs and baseline), shears (remove buffs from other players), a pet, dots, disease

Casters - All hib casters, except the animist, get a 9 second baseline stun at level 45 or 50 (I forget). This is the sole reason hib casters are awesome and not to be underestimated.
Eldritch - long range bolts, nukes, AE mezz, single target stun, pbaoe, nearsight
Enchanter - pbaoe, nukes, pet class, not sure on mezz or stun
Mentalist - some heals, power regen, dots, hots
Animist - mushrooms everywhere

Melee
Hero - 1 hand + shield or 2 hand, heavy armor, can turn into a moose once every 10 minutes or so to deal additional damageget an instant boost of HP on top of their maximum HP.
Blademaster - dual wield light tank, doesn't always hit with both weapons and is considered the weakest of the 3 realms' dual wielding light tanks
Champion - heavy tank with debuffs, can go 1h + shield or 2h, very powerful and versatile class in the hands of a skilled player.
Vamp - not really sure but I know a well played one is extremely tough to killcheesemode class, good at everything, even gets charge. mythic has failed to properly nerf this class to where it needs to be in 6 years. probably will never get nerfed.
Valewalker - kind of a melee/caster hybrid that uses a badass 2h scythe and has some of the highest melee damage multipliers in the game. one of the most underrated classes in the game due to needing high skill play to pull off all the melee positionals and the class properly. also gets a baseline lifetap and disease.

Stealthers
Nightshade - stealh, poisons, dual wield, some instant damage/dot spells, most nightshades go high magic pierce and are stealth casters essentially.
Ranger - bow, dual wield, stealth, somewhat capable in both melee and range

The only thing I know about Maulers is that all 3 realms get them and I've never seen anyone play one they're most useful as a solo/1v1 class.

Some minor fixes and additions.

Mux fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Scorvi posted:

Are any raids done in this game anymore?

Some of my favourite nostalgic memories of DAoC were the big raids; Legion, Caer Sidi (played alb mainly) and the dragons pre-nerfing. Also the ToA raids, but those were a pain mostly and the last time I played had been rendered virtually obsolete due to using bounty points to buy MLs.

Are those things basically pointless to do now because of bounty point items and artifacts/dragon gear or have the loot tables been updated at all to be competitive?

People still do the SI dungeons, but they were revamped a year ago or so. Now if they aren't camped by a group of chinese farmers, they are usually done with 2-3 people+bots. Almost everything in the game can be done with 2 people and bots these days.

If any of you are really nostalgic for that old school DAoC RvR feel, I highly recommend checking out Molvik (Level 35-39 BG).

Mux fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 5, 2012

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Don't forget a BG tank in a caster group. It's actually quite important for 8v8. I prefer hybrid groups myself, though.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Combo posted:

The Ywains are linked so it doesn't matter one bit what server you pick, and no you can't really search for people/guilds anymore as the herald doesn't have that information anymore.

The only thing the server you choose makes a difference with is the housing zone, honestly. And yeah, why Mythic thought it was a good idea to get rid of the Herald - arguably one of the most nostalgic parts of the game for vets - is mind boggling.

WHAT IF I WANT TO KNOW MY WEEKLY IRS YOU BIG TURDMONGER!?!

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Oh god I can't download the patch or launcher from their site. What do I do? :ohdear:

EDIT: Does anyone have a mirror available?

EDIT2: File server is working again. Yay!

Mux fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 30, 2014

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

boho posted:

Got a vamp to 18 on live in 3 hours solo. And they don't even solo particularly fast.

What? Vamps are one of the easiest classes to solo with on live.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Not sure if this was posted already, but check this out:

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/8212/Broadsword-Online-What-It-Means-For-UO-DAOC.html

Not really sure what this means for UO or DAoC in the grand scheme of things, really. Maybe f2p?

EDIT: Calibrex, did you play with ADF on Lance?

Mux fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 26, 2014

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

LoreOfSerpents posted:

The bugs and RvR instances/queues are why ButtaKnife and I didn't stick with ESO. Hopefully Camelot Unchained will stick closer to DAoC and not have instanced RvR, but I haven't followed it that closely.

Eh, if you think about it, DAoC was instanced similar to ESO. Emain was one big zone, instanced away from the other realms' mainlands other than Hib's until NF came out (Glitch through walls, become ruler of Mag Mell).

I think ESO's biggest problem was the grind. I hit 50 pretty quick, was one of the first fully leveled vamps on my server (lolshenanigans in pvp on day 3), but then hitting VR10 was dumb. It was like the CL system in DAoC, except in ESO it was basically required to compete, and it didn't even guarantee you the VR gear that you had to farm.

ESO had a pretty good feel to it's PvP, but gently caress that grind right in the rear end. Also, there wasn't too much GvG action going on. I was kind of disappointed there.

Mux fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 8, 2015

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

I got a few group v group fights in eso.

We would sit out in stealth, since everyone has stealth, right on the reinforcement line between keeps.

We would ambush people who would not run in packs, then they started to run in packs. Then the group fights would start.

The trick was to stay off of the main line to avoid the raids, or at least pull the small group away from that.

Yeah, I mean stuff like that happened, but there wasn't a structured 8v8 type community in ESO at all like DAoC had. We had a few guilds who would fight us head on in a group, but it wasn't nearly as consistent, organized, or competitive.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

boho posted:

If DAoC was 8-man zerg busting, no, that is dead and gone. PvP design has moved away from hard disables lasting more than 3-ish seconds and AOE target caps are the norm now.

RIP winning 8 vs 100 fights pre-LA nerf, 3 healer setups. You were a fun thing to happen.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

It was briefly (well kind of brief? a couple of months) back right after ToA released. The hardcore groups that got ml10 while the rest of the server was 1-3. Held off a 150 man relic raid with 8. 3 tanks, 2 druids, bard, 2 animists. Easily the coolest thing I've ever done in a videogame. Well I guess it was kind of 16. Another 8 man was running interference/intercepting additional groups/people porting back.

Yeah, ToA was pretty dumb too.

Getting 100+ kill spams in a fight was pretty hilarious though. People thought we were hacking/exploiting for the longest time until people realized what we were doing with our group setup, and how broken the classes/CC spells were.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Is Lethantis insta-50 or how does this server work?

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Kazvall posted:

Gotta level!

Is it 1x XP?

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

I almost want to play if you guys are running a stealth gank group, but then I remember how painful leveling solo was pre-instances. Especially as a stealther...with no buffbot.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Kazvall posted:

People advertise level and hardly class til 40+.

wut

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

I miss the old insta 50 OF free shards. You know, where the gameplay was focused on the only part of the game most people actually enjoyed.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

Yeah, the cool thing about those shards were how none of them lasted for more than a month.

Eh, if anything it was kind of nice cause you didn't have RR10 zerglord poopsockers running around 2 shotting idiots only cause they played for 5 years or whatever.

Also, the reason none of those shards lasted was because the admins were loving idiots who caused internal drama all the time.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

You have nothing in your 3 slot. I'm on to you...

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Why would minstrels be wanted in 8v8? All the cool kids used to run 7 players + a minstrel bot at APK, and pop SOS on inc. :c00lbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

uguu posted:

They're very good interrupters.

But good players don't need interrupts. Good players 1 shot everything.

• Locked thread