Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Current players are listed only if they provide their info, so if you want your name on this list, make sure you post your in-game name in the thread!

Current players (Origins freeshard):
Midgard - Guilds: Buris Kinder
Wrex
Tanreall
Sersly
Nosthula
Zippo
Boho

Hibernia
Peel
Schepps
Lash

Albion
No one. Because Albion is the worst realm. Don't ever play it. (Actually, it's just that no one has posted about playing Albion on Origins.)

Current players (official Ywain servers):
If anyone's still playing here, I don't know about it.

FAQ:

Which server should I play on?
For population, you'd normally want to play on Ywain (the official servers). Currently, though, most of the goon activity is on a freeshard called Origins, which is DAoC without any Trials of Atlantis content (so none of the newest classes, no artifacts, etc.).

Which realm should I choose?
Most people on Origins are playing Mids, so you'll have lots of help if you go that route. There are a few Hibs as well. Otherwise, it depends on what you're looking for. Albion is based on Arthurian mythology and is the most populated realm on the official Ywain servers during US prime time. Midgard is based on Norse mythology. Hibernia is based on Celtic mythology. You'll have more people on your side if you play an Alb, but more people to fight against if you play a Mid or a Hib.

What happened to Uthgard?
Uthgard is closed for renovations.

Are the official servers divided up by region?
Not anymore. Europeans and North Americans all play on the Ywain cluster.

What about the old Gaheris and Mordred servers?
Gaheris is a PvE-only server, so players can't kill each other at all. Mordred used to be an open world PvP server, allowing players from all realms to explore every realm and group with or fight with anyone, but now Mordred characters have to be transferred to Ywain.

How do I change my keybindings?
Hitting Escape in-game will bring up the main menu. There, you can click Configure Keyboard to change any keybindings. If you happen to have something targeted or typed in a chat input box at the time, you will have to hit Escape twice if you want to bring up the menu.

Can anyone help me get started?
Yes! Ask in the thread. Make sure to include what realm you're in and what server you're on. Goons are usually able to help each other out with crafting needs and leveling.

What if I make it to level 40 and decide I hate my specialization?
On the official servers, respec-ing is cheap and easy now. You get free respecs at level 20 and level 40, which will wipe out all of your trained abilities and give you back your points to spend them again. You can also use certain stones to do the same thing at other levels.

If you get to this point on Origins and decide you hate your spec, good luck with that.

What if I make it to level 40 and decide I hate my class/race/realm?
You can offset many problems with character races by dumping your realm points into different stat bonuses, but depending on the race, it can sometimes be tricky to compete anyway. You may want to create a new character at that point. Changing classes and realms, though, can only be done by creating a new character.

LoreOfSerpents fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Account manager still down.

e: Also the Herald died a while ago.
This seems to happen periodically, unfortunately. Hopefully you get lucky one of these tries.

Bozonofski posted:

I think I might check this out when my TOR sub expires in a week or so.
Is there a goon guild?
If you're on Hib, we can invite you to our guild. There aren't many of the original guild members left, so we could make it a goon guild. :) If you want to play when no one from the guild is on, you can look in the alliance for people to group with.

Bishop01 posted:

OP you should start a list in the second post of goons by realm
Thanks for the suggestion! I edited my post to include this, and we'll probably reorganize some of the other info. If anyone wants to be listed, just say so.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Good to see all of the goons in Hib! I updated my post to include the current known Hib players, but I don't know the in-game names of anyone in Midgard or Albion. Those of you who are hiding out and trying not to admit that you play another realm, it's okay, you can speak up. :)

I Know the Answer to That posted:

Are Valkyries any good?

I don't know anything about any of the classes so I'm just looking to play something that sounds cool. I can't seem to find much basic information about them other than they seem to be able to either be a caster or run around in melee depending on how they are specced or something.
Valkyries are pretty good. They are a Midgard class. They're mostly melee, but they have some magical abilities that they can use in combat. They aren't usually quick to kill.

However, if you just want something that sounds cool, you could make a Nightshade (Lurikeen or Celt) in Hibernia with us! It's a very positional class, though, so you would have to pay attention to whether you're in front of/next to/behind an enemy.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Combo posted:

Yeah for sure...a new player just picking up the game and coming from WoW or TOR or something, I would be very surprised if you enjoy it. I think for most of us the draw is just nostalgia.
Honestly, I started playing this game for the first time a year ago and still love it, although I don't have a lot of experience with other MMOs. I really disliked the first two characters that I tried in combat situations, though. The Nightshade was too position-oriented for me to get into it quickly, and the Ranger was just too weak and awkward.

When I tried a Hero, though... man, I love bashing things with my Hero. :black101: It's a much simpler class for a beginner.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Twlight posted:

That poo poo is just game breaking, I wonder what damage table those DD's are on.
Fire Wizards! Those have been game-breaking for the entire year I've played. That's why a lot of Hibs stop RvRing when Alb gets power relics.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Furnaceface posted:

I dont know how you guys are hitting 50 in 15 hours played. At 12 hours played Im only 27, though Id say at least 3 hours of that was spent in Thid running out of the PK to die instantly to the 400 Albs roaming around. Some things havnt changed, even after 10 years. Being new to Hib and a NS on top of that is probably the other slow part since I dont know how to level non-Mid classes. Is going full on Pierce/CD then respecing at 50 a good idea?

From what Ive seen on my Necro and SM, those fancy realm buffs from the NPC apply to pets so long as theyre out when you hand in the token. Also, Shar make amazing Champions. :colbert:
You're playing in Thid as a Nightshade and getting run over by Albs? Normally Thid and Molvik are more Hib-friendly than that.

If the BGs don't work well for one reason or another, you can also try the quest hubs up until Druim Cain, at which point you can only really level off of BGs until 45.

Twlight posted:

I'm suprised you guys play with new models on. I can't stand them I have everything set to old ones, though if you look in the options after you log out you can change them in a granular fashion for each faction or race I think.
I have to use classic models because my machine can't handle the fancy new textures, but I honestly like the old models better. I do change the mounts to the new models, though.

This is the best reason to run with old models:

The classic Sylvan model is just awesome.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Kazvall posted:

I vote Galladoria, but DS is fun, too. We still need to conquer all three dragons, man!

Hah, funny story about the dragons. Since we didn't expect to make it that far, we had no idea how to do that quest. Turns out we were doing it wrong. :downs:

In order to kill the three dragons, we first need to kill a Frontier dragon in each of the three realms' Frontiers and find some crazy guy's sword on Agramon. That sword is used to summon the dragons where Cuuldurach is. Not everyone in the group has to have a sword, so Waffle and I will try to get the swords on our characters and then get another dragonslaying zerg going. But we probably do need 2-3 full groups.

Galladoria will likely require more than one full group, so we might be in good shape for that dungeon if 2 groups show up again.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

concerned mom posted:

How well can a Focus shield pet and a few healers/buffers do?
A Focus shield pet would die pretty fantastically, I think. Cuuldurach nukes pretty hard, teleports the group into his den, and has a bunch of adds around him.

I've been told that he can be killed with 1 full group, but I think those people had to know what they were doing and be a lot more organized than we were. I've also been told that the traditional way to kill him is with 1 group of tanks on Cuuldurach, and 1 group of casters clearing adds. We might have some luck with that setup.

What that means for the Three Dragons quest, though, I'm not sure. I've heard the three dragons separately are easier than Cuuldurach, but I don't know if I should believe that.

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

We made is most of the way down with 3 people :smug:
I know people often farm Galla with an Enchanter, Mentalist, and a buffbot, so I think we'd be okay... but I thought we'd be fine on Cuuldurach with two groups, too, so I'm second-guessing myself a lot now. :argh:

ggschmitty posted:

Having the same issue as this guy mentioned in the last thread, and it is driving me crazy. I can't seem to focus on anything but the way the camera jitters when I use mouselook. Is there a fix for this? Also, it only happens if my character is moving (autorunning, stick, whatever) and I attempt to mouselook/pan the camera.
Is it possible that your computer is having trouble rendering the fancy textures? Although I would honestly expect it to behave a little differently if that were the case.

Since their last big patch, Waffle and I have also seen more "screen tearing" than before, where the screen will just randomly split. Waffle sees it across his entire screen, whereas I only notice it on a single piece of geometry (like a hill).

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

madpanda posted:

What time/day are we planning on galla or darkness rising?

We were planning on doing Galla at 4 PM Eastern (3 PM Central) today, but Waffle and I went on a pre-tour last night and it sucked a lot. It's neat to see the area, but it takes forever to get anywhere and the dungeon is glitchy as hell.

So instead, at 4 PM Eastern, we'll see who shows up and find out if people want to do Darkspire or Fomor for PvE content, or we can run through some stuff that would take us out to RvR zones.

Galladoria. :argh:

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Does anyone happen to know who Becilbher or Furyarrows are? I have no idea where they came from. :)

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Kazvall posted:

Yeah, some FAG hasn't added me to the active character list in the OP. :colbert:

p.s. all my characters names are kazvall
Okay fine. :colbert:

Updated the list of known players in the second post! If you aren't in this list and want to be, just speak up. Or if I don't have alts labeled properly, let me know.

quote:

Current players:
Hibernia
Adenosine, Eldritch (Alts: Adeno, Tkemper, Berglund)
Angrymother, Warden (Alts: Giledanen, Guiteau, Garyfromwork, Angry*, Loopthx)
Ardeal, Enchanter (Alts: Nostira)
Batwig, Enchanter
Becilhber, Ranger (Alts: Tinygine, Eiphos)
Combatcharles, Mentalist
CopperHound, Hero (Alts: Copper*, Punchmyownjunk)
Downsetboom, Enchanter
Fratbro, Ranger
Heavymetalharp, Bard
Jeahs, Eldritch (Alts: Grimeys, Dunlend)
Kazvall, Warden (Alts: Kaz*)
Madueb, Eldritch (Alts: Matabin, Olothean)
Raldruid, Druid (Alts: Ral*)
Schepps, Druid (Alts: Scoodles, Schnoodles, Snackers)
Splahterhouse, Champion (Alts: Splaht*, Ahkemsira, Truxton)
Squiggoth, Ranger (Alts: Squiggo*)
Steeeven, Nightshade
Timett, Champion
Waffleblockyn, Hero (Alts: Wafflewifyn, Caissaca)
Wafflebuffyn, Druid (Alts: Grrsnatch, Wafflestompyn, Wafflemezzyn, most Waffles)

Albion
Gnusong

e:

ggschmitty posted:

i'm schepps/scoodles/schnoodles/snackers but no one probably cares

fishhooked posted:

I'm playing a mentalist (30ish now). In as combatcharles

Updated!

LoreOfSerpents fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 8, 2012

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Squiggoth posted:

Glass - I assume it's valuable, but why? Where do you get it and how does it work with the economy?
Glass is a form of currency. You mainly get it by killing mobs in Atlantis or by completing quests in Atlantis (especially the new "glass" quests). You then use it to buy Master Levels or artifacts, which you previously had to actually work for.

Fun fact: DAoC has the weirdest forms of money. We use bits of broken glass, dirty roots from plants, and reptile scales as currency.

Squiggoth posted:

CV - I think this is a BG? Or some sort of RvR focus area?

NF - No idea
NF = New Frontiers (level 50 RvR)
OF = Old Frontiers (what level 50 RvR used to be, before NF)

CV = Cathal Valley Battle Ground (levels 45-49)
Leirvik = Battle Ground (levels 40-44)
Molv = Molvik Battle Ground (35-39)
Wilton = Battle Ground (levels 30-34)
Braemar = Battle Ground (25-29)
Thid = Thidranki Battle Ground (levels 20-24)
Killaloe = Battle Ground (levels 15-19)
Hills of Claret = Battle Ground (levels 10-14)
Lion's Den = Battle Ground (levels 5-9)
Proving Grounds = Battle Ground (levels 1-4)

Squiggoth posted:

Lab - I'm going to guess Labyrinth -- but what is the significance of it.
Lab/Laby = Labyrinth, specifically the Labyrinth of the Minotaur in Agramon (located in the NF zone). Not to be confused with the Shar Labyrinth, a PvE area. Laby is an RvR dungeon which is popular with stealthers. It can also be good for 8v8 action, because the small corridors mean you have to employ some tactics. Don't solo as a visi here, though.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Who was it who was looking for a pair of boots? I want to say it was either Angry or Ardeal, but I'm not sure. We have a set now, though.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Combo posted:

So I haven't really played much in the last week and a half or so and I think I might be done for a bit.
It's okay, someday you will join our Rainbow Unicorn Brigade.

Lately, a lot more of the Hib guild action has been in the Battlegrounds, especially Molvik and Cathal. If anyone's looking for a change of pace, Molvik has been mostly stealthering and Cathal has been mostly visible classes.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

ggschmitty posted:

need another thing SC'ed, put in house vault 1 pg 5. gosh so much spellcrafting!! I put the mats for all the gems in there too so it should be even easier for waffles :)

1 Imperfect Icy Shielding Jewel
1 Imperfect Light Shielding Jewel
1 Polished Fiery Shielding Jewel
1 Flawless Vapor Essence Jewel
Oops, didn't see this until after we stopped tonight. I'll take care of it tomorrow. :)

Also working on a crafting guide if anyone is interested.

We lost Goonkeep (aka Dun Cult) tonight, but we reclaimed it! Here is a picture from before the tragedy. :911:

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Tanreall posted:

A few goons and I play on Mid side Uthgard. We're the guild <Get the Candy>.
Mind if I add you guys as an Uthgard reference in the Current Players section? Or anyone else who would like to be listed for Uthgard goons!

For those who need crafting done, please post your full templates so other people can use them! If you don't want to post your full template, catch me in game for SCing and then you can e-mail me just the SC portion. :)

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Tanreall posted:

Go for it.
Thanks! I just added the guild name since I don't know any of your in-game names. :)

Combo posted:

The bracers are extremely good too, and you can sell them. Medal of Honor you can't sell.
Man, be glad you left when you did! I think they waited over 2 hours for the Harbinger to spawn there. We left to do other stuff.

For anyone interested in trying the quest, here's the easy way to do this:

1. Log on a character that's level 48 or above
2. Pick up the quest (for Hibs, this will be at Druim Ligen, New Frontier side, from a guy standing near the bind stone - NOT the guy near the port stone who gives other NF quests)
3. Ask in guild chat, alliance chat, or region chat if anyone has a quest BG
4. Join that BG so you'll get quest credit for other people killing it (/bg join SomeonesNameHere)
5. Meet up with said BG and follow them around until the Harbinger is slain
6. Talk to the guy who gave you the quest and select your reward (pick the Bracelet of Springtime Folly unless you have a specific need for the Medal of Honor)

Some BGs will try to roam between the three possible spawns, but this kind of attempt often misses the Harbinger and spends a lot of time roaming. Other BGs will just wait at one spawn point until the Harbinger appears there. The Harbinger will only appear at a new spawn point after it was killed at one of the other spots, though, so it could be a while before it changes locations. We got lucky earlier today and killed it 4 or 5 times within an hour, and then the BG ended up waiting 2 hours for the next spawn.

You don't actually need a BG for the kill, as the Harbinger seems to be pretty low level for a purple mob. Mostly you just have to worry about other realm groups running over you.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

PriNGLeS posted:

Nice. Didn't know about those. Thanks for the tip.

Was probably going to go bard, druid, and a bunch of pbaoe. Would that be effective for those quests? Not sure what they have you do.
For glass quests, you will probably want an Enchanter (full mana) + Bard (high nurture for the heal proc/AF buff) + Druid (buffbot). You could sub in an Animist instead of the Enchanter, but Animists won't be as good at farming other things.

That said, you could also just join someone else's glass group, since the quests give group credit and there is pretty much no reason not to fill groups.

Sorry for not being around! Work finally calmed down a bit, but I bought Xenoblade last week and have been playing that. Please make sure to blame Ora if you see him around. I'll check in tomorrow night if anyone has crafting they need done - just catch me in game. E-mail me the order if you don't want to post your full template!

Finally finishing up that crafting guide within the next few days, too. :)

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Furnaceface posted:

Admit it, you never really left anyway.

Ive been so drat busy with work the last 2 weeks that I seem to have missed a mass Hib exodus or something. Not just in the Cult but as a realm in general. Did something happen or are people just doing the normal cycle of boredom of 1 realm and playing in one of the others?

Hibs got owned pretty hard for a few weeks in a row. Just the usual cycle of people getting frustrated. :)

I'm updating the list of players if anyone else wants to be added for Midgard/Albion! Also, for you Culties who are playing around in Mid at the moment, would any of you be able to make a class post for Mid classes? We can link to it from the OP like we did with the Hib post.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Sorry to hear Mid wasn't as much fun. I always toyed with the idea of creating a Mid whenever I got frustrated with Hib, but I haven't brought myself to try it. Waffle and I are still playing Xenoblade for now. We're really curious how the Elder Scrolls MMO will stack up against DAoC, PvP-wise.

Opinionated, you earned the GFM, so keep it! :) We still talk to Ora and I guarantee he didn't give it to you as a loan.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Has anyone been playing since they made the changes to New Frontiers? I've been a little too nervous to try it out but I'd love to hear any opinions.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Abandon All Hope posted:

I don't know if anyone's seen it yet, but:

http://citystateentertainment.com/camelotunchained/

Looks to be the spiritual successor to DAOC, being built by former DAOC devs.

Oh, I really hope they make it. That sounds very ambitious but it would be so awesome to see a DAoC successor.

I want to update the early post with active players, but I don't see many of your in-game names. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, if you'd like to be listed as actively playing, could you go back and edit your most recent post to include your in-game name, realm, and whether you're on Uthgard or on the Ywain cluster?

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

SERPUS posted:

Is there a site that shows current online population number for the live servers like the Herald used to do?
Sadly, the Realm War page has not been restored on the new Dark Age site yet, and I don't know of any places that list populations in the meantime.

I can give you a general idea of what to expect, though, at least in level 50 RvR.

Albion: A zerg in North America prime time is at least 30 people, often 80+.
Midgard: A zerg will be around 2 or 3 groups of 8 people each.
Hibernia: Zergs do not exist. Once in a blue moon, you might see 2 full groups running around together. Take a screenshot to remember what it looks like.

Albion is the only highly populated realm during North America's prime time because it's the only one that really coordinates its efforts anymore. This means many players have left Midgard and Hibernia, leaving Albion as the RvR bully because no one else can muster up the same numbers. It's a vicious cycle.

Level 50 RvR numbers in Hibernia are 180-ish on weekends and around 100 at the peak of prime time on week nights. That includes buff bots. A year ago, the peak population of Hibernia used to be 300 on really good weekends, 200-ish on busy week nights. Either everyone left for Albion, or some of the recent changes have backfired in general.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

SERPUS posted:

There was a decently large Hib zerg running today around 3pm EST.
I have wondered about populations outside of prime time. The European Hibs seem to have their act together, since they retake a lot of lost Hib territory every day. Anyone know what the Mid/Alb populations are around that time?

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

The Labyrinth is still very popular. You can usually find Hibs and Mids in particular down there, especially when Albs are zerging all over the Frontier. Prime time will have 30-40 Hibs in the Laby - 2 full groups running separately and a number of stealthers and smallmans. The tight corridor layout makes fights more interesting and discourages zergs on the level that you'd see in the Frontier.

Once in a while, one realm will field enough people in the Labyrinth to "sweep" it, just for kicks. Mids did this for a while, sending 3 full groups through the Labyrinth to all of the mythirian farming spots and just wiping out everyone. It's pretty rare now. Outside of those situations, though, it's a fairly even playing field.

You will run into stealther groups from time to time, but if you're in a full group of visibles, most stealthers will leave you alone. Stealthers generally go after smallmans or stragglers in the Crossroads. There's also an underground dueler network that meets in the Labyrinth, if you wander around and see a dead end full of people from different realms.

Good druids are hard to come by. If you have any trouble finding a group as a druid in Hib, you're a bad druid.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

arroze posted:

Now if only i can figure out how/where to train my Champion Level abilities, i'm already CL9 and don't even know.

Try Cotswold or your Shrouded Isles town, whatever that's called in Albion. There should be different trainers there from the normal class trainers. They'll have titles like Acolyte Trainer, Disciple Trainer, Elementalist Trainer, Fighter Trainer, Mage Trainer, or Rogue Trainer.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

They were talking about leveling on Uthgard, I think. It seems like most people are playing Uthgard now. Is that accurate?

If so, I'll go back and edit the early post to let people know Uthgard is the more active server for goons. :)

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

PriNGLeS posted:

When I hosed around/abused trial accounts I just made a couple of CV characters. I ran 8 accounts doing BG/glass quests and made about 50p and just templated for CV. I did this due to the ridiculous prices of level 50 template items. I'm looking at you ML10 gear.
I asked around on how to make plat. I was flat out told to buy from chinese farmers multiple times. It's just not a fun place to be, anymore.
On live servers, you should never have to buy plat from Chinese farmers. In Hib, we were giving plat away, and I was crafting most things for guildies for free.

You don't need the really expensive ML10 gear for a passable template. Mythic revamped the free Epic armor so that it was actually okay, and some Summoner's Hall and Pictish gear can sub in for ML10 gear in a nice template. Scale armor was still really good the last time I played, and very easy to get while the Pictish quests were going.

That said, to make money on live servers, you have these options:
1) Craft (in Hib, this meant crafting for Alchemy and/or Spellcrafting orders, and I assume it's the same way for other realms)
2) RvR a lot
3) Run high-reward quests when they come up (like the recent Pictish quests)
4) Farm things strategically (Summoner's Hall)

And I still want Mythic to set up their own Origins server, like they said they were planning to do back in 2008. :colbert:

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

boho posted:

Like I said I've taken to playing a Live trial account. I don't know what it's like at 50 (but I hear you just farm glass in groups til you have what you need and it's really not bad) but from 1-49 the PVE content is actually well done, gear is extremely easy to come by, BGs always have some people in them, etc. I don't know if the game is worth marrying but I'm enjoying my fling.
I'm glad you're enjoying live! The PvE content is what got me to play this game in the first place. I think it's a very well thought out universe. Many of the mobs have factions, so they will fight each other if they get too close, and they either like you or hate you depending on how you've treated their friends/enemies. The art is dated, but creative. The NPCs have their own schedules, egos, and ulterior motives. It's neat.

50 RvR is really fun, but my favorite times have involved doing quests and farming trophies with guildies. :)

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Kazvall posted:

Uthgard should have stayed up. I kinda understand why they took it down, but genesis is poo poo so they just got worked up over nothing.

I miss my old daoc friends like angry mother and the waffles. Its waffles right not some other food?

Definitely waffles! We tried out ESO but didn't stick with it. ESO felt tiny with its sharded Cyrodiil zone, and it was just full of zergs.

We're keeping an eye on Camelot Unchained, but mostly just hoping Broadsword has something cool planned.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Warbadger posted:

So the question is: what would you do with the game on the live servers to improve it? If I pointed the developers to this thread to read it, what is the top wishlist of things-that-should-be-done (preferably those without needing a ton of resources to implement) and why?

Low cost/already implemented:
  1. Set up an official Origins-style server. (Okay, this might not be low-cost, but it's probably the highest chance of reward.) I like the Atlantis zones and monsters, but not the abilities/items that came with them. The complexity and high barrier of entry makes the game less accessible to new players now.
  2. Bring back the Realm War section of the Herald.
  3. Institute bonuses for low-population realms in RvR and/or encourage people to stick with a realm (maybe with titles or something for players that only play on one realm?). I think relic-hopping and cross-realming was a problem because getting smeared across the pavement gets old after a while. People need a good incentive to put up with it.

With a few more resources:
  1. Update the UI. It doesn't need much, just a bit of a revamp to not be painful. Why should someone have to delve the info for each item to see its stats?
  2. Lower DPS across the board. Seriously. Mythic tried to balance the game by adding more abilities, so the abilities have been escalating for years. Casters are insane, and mana hasn't been a limiting factor for them since the mythirians came out. It isn't as fun when the challenge is gone, and it's incredibly frustrating for new players when they're constantly beaten down by 10+ year veterans, so the current model actually discourages new players. Doing Origins could help even the score.

With a lot more resources:
  1. Actually fix the netcode to address rubberbanding and run speed.
  2. Switch to an engine that's cross-platform, so Mac and Linux users can play.

And just my own little wish list:
  1. New trophies. Come on.
  2. Throwback events. Do a week or a month where the old dragon models are used. Open up Old Frontiers once in a while. Like when Mythic temporarily reinstated the portal ceremony.
  3. Fix the typos in the quests. :argh:

Honestly, with a new UI and some better netcode, it could already be DAoC2. It's still a very compelling game, so just touching it up a bit would attract attention.

I have mixed feelings about F2P. I enjoy sub-based games because I feel like free games attract a lot of people who don't care if the game succeeds or not; it's just the flavor of the month. The company also has less incentive to support the game long-term when most of the consumers aren't paying, and it's easy for them to get lured into a pay to win model in order to cover server costs. We all want nice things for free, but I don't personally feel like my DAoC experience would be better if I didn't have to pay.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

PriNGLeS posted:

Also buying plat is basically the only way to get started. But you won't have to worry about that until Cathal Valley or level 50. Stealther templates have always been the most expensive to do.
I have no idea if this is true, but it's a fascinating concept anyway: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam

quote:

As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells.

Liu says he was one of scores of prisoners forced to play online games to build up credits that prison guards would then trade for real money. The 54-year-old, a former prison guard who was jailed for three years in 2004 for "illegally petitioning" the central government about corruption in his hometown, reckons the operation was even more lucrative than the physical labour that prisoners were also forced to do.

Evernoob posted:

Also if you have never played DAoC in the past chances are you will find the graphics and actual character controls absolutely horrible. PVE levelling solo is also horrible because you have large downtimes between mobs (mana/health/endurance regen without the appropriate buffs are really slow).

Its not a game you want to solo in, and people play it only for the up to now still unmatched RvR experience.

I actually like the Catacombs textures and models. My fragile little laptop couldn't handle all the new graphics, so I used classic models for performance. Also because the Firbolg looks a lot better in classic.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

ButtaKnife posted:

If anyone is still subbed to Live, we're finally back in game! Not just that, we're about to do some Otherworld Campaign quests. Come join us!

Good times were had by all. The first boss of the new Otherworld quests wrecked us like 3 times before someone took pity on us and explained that we needed to stay closer to the spawn point. :downs:

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

I've been playing a lot of Elder Scrolls Online, which has the three realm, taking keeps with seige engines stuff. I played DAoC on and off for maybe a decade, and after playing ESO I don't think I'll actually be going back, this scratches the itch and also feels so much more fluid.

The bugs and RvR instances/queues are why ButtaKnife and I didn't stick with ESO. Hopefully Camelot Unchained will stick closer to DAoC and not have instanced RvR, but I haven't followed it that closely.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

im gay posted:

i'm installing but it's a pain to loving level last time i tried. kinda wanna do a cleric now though.

How long ago did you try leveling? They added a bunch of high-XP quests to the various towns, or you could join an XP group in the battlegrounds and just level through battlegrounds. We used to finish off leveling by doing the Atlantis quests at about level 40-45, but I don't know if that's even necessary anymore. There's still an Atlantis quest around Oceanus that's good for XP from level 30 to 40 if the battlegrounds aren't working out.

There's also a new Champion Quest line available in the throne room that just requires running around the capital city a bit, and it took me all the way from Champion level 10 to Champion level 15 in no time. ButtaKnife was trying to level CL XP by running the Supplies quest in the frontier and that took forever. My way was better.

eta: I should also mention that new quests give tons and tons of money. It's hard to do any new quests anymore and not walk away with 10+ plat. Don't bother with the gold farmers.

LoreOfSerpents fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 9, 2016

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Evernoob posted:

Albion is the only realm I never played. All my Albion classes were on Mordred.
I just preferred Midgard and Hybernia group compositions.

Last time I played on live (for a few days) I was forced to farm some stuff from monsters in atlantis to complete my ML quests etc. I hated it :(
The way to do MLs now is to accumulate bounty points by leveling in the battlegrounds, and then use your BPs to buy MLs. You can also use BPs to buy artifacts.

You still have to level the arties the old-fashioned way, though. :argh:

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

nousername posted:

people sell it for like 10p now for a full ml1-10 credit, and you can make 10p just doing the supplies quest for a few hours while you're getting CL experience, so that's nice.
Ahhh right, I totally forgot people are selling the credits also. :)

Evernoob posted:

Is it still impossible to migrate characters from Mordred to the Regular server? Even if nakid?
Was it impossible recently? There's an NPC in the housing entrance who helps characters coming from Mordred (when the housing zone isn't hosed, anyway), so I'd expect it to be possible.

Also, the new Otherworlds campaigns are ridiculous even after they made them easier. :gonk: Waffle and I just went through chapters 1-10 all at once.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Waffle and I are starting a couple of level 1 characters this weekend if anyone else is interested in leveling new Hibs on live. :)

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

PriNGLeS posted:

Oh no. Waffles died in the first bg!!!
Better to start early? :D There's an insane Minstrel in Thid who just kept trolling us, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

nousername posted:

I enjoyed our 2 minute emote fest with you last night before running off
You guys should just come back to Hib. :colbert: We run Otherworlds pretty much every weekend so that's easy, although getting DF gear on Hibland requires some serious miracles and/or lots and lots of plat.

I still smile in the Goon house seeing all of the trophies goons collected. :3:

• Locked thread