Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm officially below 200 pounds for the first time in ~3 years. :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

First week of having a power cage is going well. Went from a failed 95 lb overhead press up to 100 lb working sets because I don't have to clean the bar before the press anymore. Squat is up to 170, still getting linear progression out of it and it feels about the same difficulty every session so the 5 lb jumps are good. Dead is also 170 for the working set, but for shits and giggles I tried a two plate dead today and what do you know, I can deadlift 225 several times without ratcheting. Still gonna do 175 next session, I was just curious.

Power cleans are...problematic. Stalled around 125/130 and took a good hard look at my form. Re-read the book and watched more videos, then spent last night working on them with an empty bar and then up at 95 lbs. I'm bruised but I think I have it worked out. 125/130 is a bit too challenging so I'm thinking deload, focus on form, and work back up.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

down 65 lbs this year

p. good, still got a lil bit to go

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Didn't deload. Nailed 135 5x3 and had enough gas to do the 5x3 pullups after but my upper body feels like rubber. :suicide:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

what's alls opinion about "leaving some in the tank." That is, not working to failure, and stopping if you feel you could push out a few more reps

I assume sets/reps is a factor of course

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Depends on your recuperative capacity vs accumulated stress and growth stimulus. The first year or so of lifting when you're basically purposefully running yourself into the wall full tilt every time, you've got a lot of room to grow and improve assuming you're not just retard strong to begin with and your rest/diet aren't dogshit. Once those beginner gains really start slowing down, take a serious hard look at how seriously you're taking getting not only good quality but a good quantity of sleep on average. Are you actually eating right or are you just eyeballing poo poo without the long-term experience of autistically counting calories and macros, so that you actually develop that skill?

Once you settle into the longer-term slow and steady grind and flow of everything, that "leave one in the tank" poo poo becomes more important. You're moving more weight, your body is accumulating more stress and stimulus, but are you magically producing proportionally more recuperative capacity out of your rear end? Sure if you unfuck the other legs of the sleep-eat-lift triad, or you walk up to the biggest guy in the gym and gamble getting a hook-up vs getting your poo poo slapped, it's possible. But even then you're going to be leaning over that line into over-training and outrunning your body's ability to fix and improve what you just hosed up.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Rock climbing: It is cool, and good, and it hurts to type on a keyboard now

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Asked in YLLS but figured it was worth asking in here since at least one of you nerds does JTS programming

Anybody have thoughts on Juggernaut Training Systems: A Thoughtful Pursuit of Strength?
Noticed it was on sale today wondering if its a good place to start or if I should go with JTS 2.0 if I've never read any of Chad's stuff before.

Edit: I should add that I don't necessarily give a poo poo about competitive lifting, but I've primarily focused my training on strength and aesthetics has been a distant second.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

bengy81 posted:

Asked in YLLS but figured it was worth asking in here since at least one of you nerds does JTS programming

Anybody have thoughts on Juggernaut Training Systems: A Thoughtful Pursuit of Strength?
Noticed it was on sale today wondering if its a good place to start or if I should go with JTS 2.0 if I've never read any of Chad's stuff before.

Edit: I should add that I don't necessarily give a poo poo about competitive lifting, but I've primarily focused my training on strength and aesthetics has been a distant second.

I talked about working with JTS 2.0 in some of my previous posts here, I'd say it's worth it.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what's alls opinion about "leaving some in the tank." That is, not working to failure, and stopping if you feel you could push out a few more reps

I assume sets/reps is a factor of course

I’m all for it (strength coach) the only going to failure I’d advise is beginners ... since military life has the burden of constant fitness you can’t destroy yourself for a few days just to get an extra 2.5 lbs on a heavy lift because you wanted to go to failure.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Idk about you guys and yoga but I'm seeing some real improvements in my flexibility. I can now get my right leg behind my head and just about get the left as well. Going to tie myself into a knot and cramp up and die. That will be embarrassing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT'S PUMPING IRON AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKING GRUNTING NOISES WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME WEIGHTS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNOQUE. NOT MAMY CAN SAY THE TOOK THE MR. OLYMPIA TITLE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUT LOUD TO THE PEOPLE IN MY GYM AND ALL THEY PROVE IS PEOPLE IN THE GYM CAN BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND I'VE LEARNED ALL THE POSES AND HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY DOING THEM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I PROTEIN STACK.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dslxTj_uUwM

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Starting Tomorrow I am beginning to train for a half Ironman.

hopefully I can lose this little pudge I created for myself

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I am down 50 pounds from a little more than 2 years ago. It feels good. My goal is to lose another fifteen pounds over the next few months. None of the clothes I bought after getting out of the army fit anymore, but I don't give a gently caress because I'm in okay shape getting into better shape.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I am down 50 pounds from a little more than 2 years ago. It feels good. My goal is to lose another fifteen pounds over the next few months. None of the clothes I bought after getting out of the army fit anymore, but I don't give a gently caress because I'm in okay shape getting into better shape.

Hell yeah. Just keep at it. Little gains are better than no gains.

I'm starting physical therapy today after my hip surgery last month. Walking is an adventure still but it's better than it was.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i'm starting to hate squatting 3x a week thanks for reading god bless

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m doing the SF Prep section from the fitness manual and ended up doing 200 lunges yesterday, squatting today. My quads are burning.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I'm going to Afghanistan at the end of the month and will have access to two okayish gyms on our AP/FOB. Can anyone recommend a good powerlifting/strongman program? Trying to get my big 3 up but I like doing sled drags and all that poo poo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yoga is pretty good y’all

Like I hate and suck at it but I digress

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Ashmole posted:

I'm going to Afghanistan at the end of the month and will have access to two okayish gyms on our AP/FOB. Can anyone recommend a good powerlifting/strongman program? Trying to get my big 3 up but I like doing sled drags and all that poo poo

if you're newish at this
https://stronglifts.com

Chances are high that you won't have access to bumper plates, so this works better than starting strength.

I loved it. I got up to 2x bodyweight deadlifts in about 6 months.

5/3/1 or madcow if you something more advanced. My stronger friends swear by 5/3/1.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I watched a video about discipline and this was in it. She's looks so loving content. I think I'll just eat chocolate like her and play video games instead of working out.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
start OTS on Tuesday and am stressing about my PT. I know im in shape and will do more than enough to pass, but cant shake that anxiety. Ran a easy 2 miles at a 9:20 pace this morning...thinking I can pump out a 12:00 min 1.5 at max effort.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My plan in October is to run 200 miles during the month, WHO'S WITH ME!?!?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

no

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Nice and hot piss posted:

My plan in October is to run 200 miles during the month, WHO'S WITH ME!?!?

gently caress that and gently caress you

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Thump! posted:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Thump! posted:

Anybody that thinks my 250lb rear end is ever voluntarily running again can suck my dick from the back.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 16, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I ran a 10k today with basically no training. It's been about a year since I ran over 3-4 miles and I finished in 1:10 or so today. Being fat and old and not caring owns, but I guess I should start running more again because drat is that slow :btroll:

Running feels good as hell even if it somewhat sucks with my permanently damaged ankle (have to wear a brace basically all the time to keep it stable). Give it a shot when it's not the military making you do it.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 22, 2018

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Sacrist65 posted:

if you're newish at this
https://stronglifts.com

Chances are high that you won't have access to bumper plates, so this works better than starting strength.

I loved it. I got up to 2x bodyweight deadlifts in about 6 months.

5/3/1 or madcow if you something more advanced. My stronger friends swear by 5/3/1.

Boo stronglifts yay 5/3/1

I plateaued on SL a couple years ago at like a 255ish squat. It’s too much volume. I’ve just repped that today as training weight after going from being out of shape. It’s also 100 times more flexible of a program. SL is just a mediocre ripoff of SS, which is still better anyway.

And on 5/3/1 you can do other poo poo on top of it since you’re only destroying your core and legs twice a week.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 28, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

One day I’ll get better at yoga

My back sure does feel much better though, don’t tell the VA. I’ve yet to do any kundalini, gonna have to give that a go

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

One day I’ll get better at yoga

My back sure does feel much better though, don’t tell the VA. I’ve yet to do any kundalini, gonna have to give that a go

Be careful chasing cars if you do.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Boo stronglifts yay 5/3/1

I plateaued on SL a couple years ago at like a 255ish squat. It’s too much volume. I’ve just repped that today as training weight after going from being out of shape. It’s also 100 times more flexible of a program. SL is just a mediocre ripoff of SS, which is still better anyway.

And on 5/3/1 you can do other poo poo on top of it since you’re only destroying your core and legs twice a week.

coming back from injury/laziness I did SL for a month again. I just plateaued at a 265 3x5 squat,

Going to switch to Texas method instead of 5/3/1. Learning powercleans from scratch is going to be interesting and it's one of the advantages of SS over SL

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Sacrist65 posted:

coming back from injury/laziness I did SL for a month again. I just plateaued at a 265 3x5 squat,

Going to switch to Texas method instead of 5/3/1. Learning powercleans from scratch is going to be interesting and it's one of the advantages of SS over SL

Be careful with powercleans and start with low weight. I jacked up my rotator cuff doing those with too much weight/volume and bad form.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is there a website that helps come up with workouts or better yet just tells me what to lift because coming up with stuff to do is probably the part I hate the most

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

is there a website that helps come up with workouts or better yet just tells me what to lift because coming up with stuff to do is probably the part I hate the most

I guess it depends on what your ultimate goals are.

the 5x5 lifting method was successful for me when I was building up strength for the big lifts. I also did the 5/3/1 method for a while to build power and I was pretty happy with the results, I was just incredibly bored since it felt like it was over with so quick and I had a bunch of energy I needed to expend.

If you're looking for overall fitness I would recommend maybe utilizing a "crossfit" WOD generator and just tailoring it a bit to something that fits your fancy. I usually go with medium weight/body weight and higher rep's and try to keep the rest between sets short.. Similar to crossfit but never going into an exercise where I am fatigued enough that I'm worried about form. Also I never touch anything stupid like kipping pullups or any type of exercise that the movement is tailored to make the original exercise easier.

http://www.thewodgenerator.com/category/

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

no I have a YMCA member (I use it for running) but I just want a regular pumping weights routine IE bench presses

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Depending on your goals there's stuff like Starting Strength, stronglifts, WS4SB, push/pull/legs, etc. all available for free.

Or you could pay for a really good plan from an outfit like Renaissance Periodization or whathaveyou. Just depends on your goals and priorities and budget.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

no I have a YMCA member (I use it for running) but I just want a regular pumping weights routine IE bench presses

5/3/1 is only bench overhead squat and deads which should be available in a Y.

Plus you can substitute with basically any lift that is easy to load to a maximal level.

5/3/1 is my favorite by far because of the low volume despite good results, so I can do a shitload of running, swimming and other like climbing and BJJ without squatting three times a week and hating my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I love yoga