Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I mean do you I'm just trying to emphasize how terrible it is for your knees to hold 400 lbs to 90 degrees maintaining tension the whole time only to go up. I think I do remember you getting in an accident or having a bunch of neurological issues. So that sucks.

Squatting is an art. From where it is on your shoulders to your grip and width between both hands and then not flaring elbows. Even professionals have to be 100% in tune and aware of every little movement thing (hip drive, not butt winking, letting knees buckle inward, etc)

I'm not saying you form sucks or you don't know what you're doing but heavily googling squatting and videos from people that know what they're doing helped put things into perspective for me. (Like imaging there's a towel under your feet and you're trying to rip it in half on your drive up. poo poo like that)

Lastly all I'll say is that it sucks to swallow your pride but sometimes you really need to reset the weight drastically if you've built any form of bad habits in technique

What the gently caress is going on here I'm out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

How do you get to 400 lbs without knowing any of that stuff though? :shrug:

By asking people in the know, such as in YLLS.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Force de Fappe posted:

By asking people in the know, such as in YLLS.

lol

i remember the good ole days of ylls when people were afraid to admit to doing any other excise but squatting and deadlifting.

and like every 3rd post was:
'according to lyle, hallowed be his name....'

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Dingleberry posted:

anybody have any experience dealing with adhesions on the biceps? I've been doing stretching, eccentrics, scraping them with a butter knife and such(which helps actually), but looking to see if anybody else has any ideas...
I apparently was going a little to excess on pullups (over and under bar) plus some other stuff...

You're doing all the stuff you can do. Just never let them rest in a one position for too long. Constantly extend and flex that poo poo pausing in between.

I had this old rear end commander that smoked the living poo poo out of our flight company on the bars one day and none of us were able to hold a stick or climb on and off the aircraft the next day. Adhesions suck balls.

Don't ride a motorcycle liek that either.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm going to start my Marine Corpse OCS planning come Jan after this racing season finally comes to a much needed end.

So with that being said, My plan to get ready for OCS is somewhat like this

-Running: 4 days a week, averaging 20 miles a week initially, then as my PFT starts to loom, increasing intensity, fartleks and miles a week to 25-30

-Biking: Whenever and however, no real schedule.

-Lifting: Strength/power workouts, focusing highly on pullups, core workouts, squats/DL's accessory muscle use, shoulders. I'm considering joining a CrossFit Gym only to use their ropes, no real desire to do the actual classes, but the equipment is better than my Univ. gym and of course, planet fitness.

-Ruck Marching: probably just once a week, starting out with 40 lbs walking on the trail in town which is 4 miles of undulating terrain. I figure as the months go by, I would increase weight to 70 lbs, followed by increasing mileage to 8-10. In the interest of not crushing my body into dust before leaving, once a week would be appropriate.

Considering this pack too
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/backpacks/xenith_88

Anyone have some insight on the plan? I'm somewhat new to the training modality of being strong and having endurance, and really only know how to get skinny and fast either on the bike or running...

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Why not just buy an actual rucksack from a surplus store or somewhere online? They're way cheaper than what you're looking at buying.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, I wasn't able to find that pack on ebay or craigslist/whatever for under $200, and I had considered just buying an old army/marine Rucksack. I'm sure being so close to Ft. Bliss there has to be a billion of them just collecting dust waiting to be bought.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Deadlifted 405 for 6 reps today, felt pretty good.

Until the guy next to me did 500. :saddowns:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
nice job

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've put on a little weight since the start of fall, but gently caress it it's bulking season and I'm hitting PR's

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

MurderBot posted:

I'm going to start my Marine Corpse OCS planning come Jan after this racing season finally comes to a much needed end.

So with that being said, My plan to get ready for OCS is somewhat like this

-Running: 4 days a week, averaging 20 miles a week initially, then as my PFT starts to loom, increasing intensity, fartleks and miles a week to 25-30

-Biking: Whenever and however, no real schedule.

-Lifting: Strength/power workouts, focusing highly on pullups, core workouts, squats/DL's accessory muscle use, shoulders. I'm considering joining a CrossFit Gym only to use their ropes, no real desire to do the actual classes, but the equipment is better than my Univ. gym and of course, planet fitness.

-Ruck Marching: probably just once a week, starting out with 40 lbs walking on the trail in town which is 4 miles of undulating terrain. I figure as the months go by, I would increase weight to 70 lbs, followed by increasing mileage to 8-10. In the interest of not crushing my body into dust before leaving, once a week would be appropriate.

Considering this pack too
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/backpacks/xenith_88

Anyone have some insight on the plan? I'm somewhat new to the training modality of being strong and having endurance, and really only know how to get skinny and fast either on the bike or running...

Man, really the PT tests are a joke. I mean good for you for prepping for OCS, but if you follow through with this I'm pretty sure you'll find that OCS PT is probs gonna be easier that what you're doing. I do however recommend not spending money if you don't have to. You can get ripped for any PT test without touching a weight. The weights n poo poo just make it easier/faster.

One thing you didn't mention is how you're gonna eat. I suggest just loving eat everything that isn't bread/breaded or sugar.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Working sets for bench from Monday: 5@295, 5@300, 4@300

Welp, officially repping my old max and also getting close to 3 plate dips. Might need to get an actual dip belt at some point, the 2 foot length of chain and a d-ring from Home Depot wrapped around my regular lifting belt is taking a beating. Also need to buy new (bigger) shirts for the gym, larges are starting to get really Baby Gap-ish and cutting into my armpits after a while.

Plus I'm starting to get some wicked-looking new stretch marks at the pec-delt tie in thanks to my goddamned potato-eating ancestors with thick, fair skin. :commissar:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Endbuster posted:

Man, really the PT tests are a joke. I mean good for you for prepping for OCS, but if you follow through with this I'm pretty sure you'll find that OCS PT is probs gonna be easier that what you're doing. I do however recommend not spending money if you don't have to. You can get ripped for any PT test without touching a weight. The weights n poo poo just make it easier/faster.

One thing you didn't mention is how you're gonna eat. I suggest just loving eat everything that isn't bread/breaded or sugar.

Fair point. I actually really enjoy working out, competing at biking and generally not wanting to be the 250 lb, 5 ft 8" lard rear end I was in high school. I figure this would at least make the physical aspect of OCS a less/non issue.

And yep, I usually try to eat a majority of my carbs in the A.M with fruit/lean protein or nuts and then try to incorporate a large amount of veggies and proteins, complex carbs or anything that isn't horribly processed into lunch and dinner. I snack a lot on poo poo like gummy bears and simple sugars, usually because a typical workout day for me could range from 3-5 hours, depending on what I feel like doing, and it keeps me from crashing the gently caress out by 5 P.M

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

I gained 5 lbs of muscles since July. I measured and weighed today and I'm the same weight, but I got me some bigger legs and arms while waist stayed the same.

Fuckin' food is getting expensive though.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Endbuster posted:

Fuckin' food is getting expensive though.

I resent the fact that my inner Shim won't let me buy monstrous ribeyes to DIY dry-age and blast to crusty salt-and-cracked-pepper, medium-rare perfection every week until I get some blood money BAH end of January.

Slight upside is it makes the decision easier to go full (copycat Chipotle marinaded) chicken and (cilantro lime) rice mode next month and drop another ~15lbs. Hopefully back down to 200-205, which I haven't seen on a scale for like 6 years. 12%, here I come!

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

I resent the fact that my inner Shim won't let me buy monstrous ribeyes to DIY dry-age and blast to crusty salt-and-cracked-pepper, medium-rare perfection every week until I get some blood money BAH end of January.

Slight upside is it makes the decision easier to go full (copycat Chipotle marinaded) chicken and (cilantro lime) rice mode next month and drop another ~15lbs. Hopefully back down to 200-205, which I haven't seen on a scale for like 6 years. 12%, here I come!

Ugh good luck. I'm below 12% and it took loving AGES to get there. The cut from 155 to ~138 at 5'7 was a huge pain in the rear end. Like, just 3 solid months of bullshit and being hungry all the time even though I was getting the correct amount of calories and nutrients.

But bro that feel when you put on pants that are 2-4 inches smaller than the ones you're wearing right now. So worth.

Lemme tell you a secret though if you have some money to put into it. Tofurky italian sausages are like 4 bucks a pack for 4, they have ~40g protein and are like 120 calories. There's some other vegan/veg stuff that is pretty decently priced and not totally filled with bullshit. It just sucks that a lb of asparagus is like 4 times as expensive as a lb of chicken. loving subsidies. And yeah my rice cooker has been getting a workout now that its cold out and I can stand to eat hot rice.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 9, 2015

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Endbuster posted:

Ugh good luck. I'm below 12% and it took loving AGES to get there. The cut from 155 to ~138 at 5'7 was a huge pain in the rear end. Like, just 3 solid months of bullshit and being hungry all the time even though I was getting the correct amount of calories and nutrients.

But bro that feel when you put on pants that are 2-4 inches smaller than the ones you're wearing right now. So worth.

Lemme tell you a secret though if you have some money to put into it. Tofurky italian sausages are like 4 bucks a pack for 4, they have ~40g protein and are like 120 calories. There's some other vegan/veg stuff that is pretty decently priced and not totally filled with bullshit. It just sucks that a lb of asparagus is like 4 times as expensive as a lb of chicken. loving subsidies. And yeah my rice cooker has been getting a workout now that its cold out and I can stand to eat hot rice.

Well it's not quite like I'm above cheating slightly to get there.

Yohimbine HCL added to 40mins-1hr of LISS elliptical in a fasted state every morning, normal EC stack for appetite suppression and the minor (5-10%) metabolic increase (2-3hrs after yoh to avoid the whole tachycardia potential), ~500cal deficit over TDEE not counting calories burned from LISS, plus now that it's nice and chilly out very mild doses of a wholly gray area mitochondrion uncoupler that add another ~40% metabolic increase.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Yohimbine HCL added to 40mins-1hr of LISS elliptical in a fasted state every morning, normal EC stack for appetite suppression and the minor (5-10%) metabolic increase (2-3hrs after yoh to avoid the whole tachycardia potential), ~500cal deficit over TDEE not counting calories burned from LISS, plus now that it's nice and chilly out very mild doses of a wholly gray area mitochondrion uncoupler that add another ~40% metabolic increase.

Lol, you're definitely not on a flight status. If I tried that poo poo I would be up poo poo creek so hard I'd be paddling with a thimble.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Endbuster posted:

Lol, you're definitely not on a flight status. If I tried that poo poo I would be up poo poo creek so hard I'd be paddling with a thimble.

until I get some blood money BAH end of January.

Hell the gently caress no, I'm a real boy now. Get to peep yoga butts on chicks almost a decade younger while being paid to do it in order to get a job and then be paid 4-5 times more. At the same time getting bigger, stronger, and leaner than I ever was while in.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 9, 2015

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Got a charlie horse in the middle of a deadlift. Holy gently caress it's been so long since I had a Charlie horse. gently caress Charlie horses.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Got a charlie horse in the middle of a deadlift. Holy gently caress it's been so long since I had a Charlie horse. gently caress Charlie horses.

the worst is i'd get them sometimes while sleepin if i worked out really hard that day

you try to stretch in bed without getting up but no luck, you need to stand asap

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
So I'm a fat piece of poo poo (freedom gut) because I stopped giving a gently caress after getting out. I want to be healthy again and I'd like to go to this Brazilian jiu jitsu gym near me cuz I like that poo poo and need some sort of violent outlet like that because I think it would help me with my infantry induced anger and PTSD. I'm thinking I should mostly do running and cardio stuff to get the fat off and shake off the rust of not working out for the past six years. Do it at a gym and not jumping right into poo poo that could gently caress my back up even more than it is. I know I just need to get at it and motivate myself to work out even though it's going to be a bitch and I won't like it at first. Any tips? Also all I really know is all the gay workout bullshit the army taught me.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Unless you got a boner for rubbing up on dudes, bjj is probably not gonna do your back any favors.

Something similar and probably not as likely to wreck your back is kickboxing. I've noticed that there's a lot of kickboxing gyms in the US where getting in the ring is super rare and it's mostly just pounding away at dudes with focus and kick pads. poo poo like that is basically an hour of interval training and not dumb and gay like stupid army poo poo.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Getting back into exercising is tricky. A vast majority of individuals who jump back into exercising or they are starting a new exercise routine go too hard too fast and end up getting mega sore/injured/burnt out since the body isn't really prepared for it.

For general running and probably the best way to get back into a workout routine is to take it really, really slow.

The couch 2 5k program is really good, even though it has you doing a lot of walking initially, which many individuals think is stupid. But with proper adherence to it, a very good way to get back into an active lifestyle. It takes about 2 weeks of continual exercising for you to actually have a desire to go and exercise. The first week it's really just a chore, but once you've started incorporating physical activity into your daily lifestyle it goes from "ugh I have to exercise" to "I am excited to exercise."

Also if there's something that looks cool, race wise, goal attainment wise, etc, try and work towards that.

Biking is also a good alternative, be it mountain biking, road biking, or just trail riding. Incredibly low/non stressful on the joints, doesn't really mess up the back too much since it's mainly a leg workout and it's fun to go fast on a self-propelled machine.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 12, 2015

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Be careful with that poo poo. I tried prior to joining because I was anxious about my weight. Felt my heart thumping out of control on a "safe" dose of EC and I feel bits of chest pain to this day, several years later, and I do healthy cardio 2-3x a week. Let me tell you, it makes me feel far more anxious than the idea of not meeting standards did. Yes, it's a plant extract... but it's banned for a reason. Also sometimes it pops you for an amphetamine test.

If you aren't on an MCM boat and have variety of food (regardless of quality), try consuming less than 20 net carbs every day for two months. Not counting salad, but watch poo poo like tomatoes and milk with sugar. It requires creativity, and the first bit of weight you drop is water, but you can lose an effective 20 lbs in two months.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Did some lats and biceps tonight. Gonna get some run time in after my post workout food settles a bit. Gonna destroy this PT test in Jan.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GUQVo1Lps

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Hail Satan!

315lb 3x5 bench, time to switch to 5/3/1 so my rotator cuffs and elbows stop loving hating me so much. New wraps make regular plus close grip bench and chest dips not kill my wrists and new 4" 10mm leather belt got me a 8x455lb dead last week. Supposed to be deload week under 5/3/1 for deads but I'm really tempted to try and pull 565 for the gently caress of it, since it'll probably be the last week I'm at 100% full retard strength for the next month. Start cutting Thursday, going to aim for 20-25lbs down by the end of the month with the help of some aforementioned extracurriculars. Settle between 200-205lbs and start really getting serious about poo poo.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

I lifted two 50lb pails of concrete today. I used good form and everything. gently caress yeah. Studdin' it up.

But no seriously, I give up on building a muscly body, gently caress this poo poo. I can't eat enough. I'll still lift now that I learned how to, but groceries for this month almost made me miss rent. At least now I can do a bazillion pushups and bench more than I weigh, so that's cool. Thanks gym! See you tomorrow while I listen to nickelback and cry softly into the leather until I hit muscle failure.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My last two workouts I did: 8+4+3+2 chin-ups and 4+4+3+3+2 chin-ups. Should I start adding weight or shoot for higher numbers on my sets, first?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Think the general rule of thumb is AT LEAST 8-10 without weight. 15 or so is probably ideal.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Think the general rule of thumb is AT LEAST 8-10 without weight. 15 or so is probably ideal.

cool, thx bro

I figured I should be going for volume and a good ROM on that movement, anyway

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah dial out your form completely. There's so many ways to cheat with pull ups. If you're not going to a dead hang then almost touching your chest then I don't know wtf. Maybe the chicks at the gym don't care but you're only cheating yourself

From there yeah increase the weight slowly. You can scissor a dumbbell between your knees/legs if you don't have a chain/hip belt (might look silly with a 5lb plate on that)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah dial out your form completely. There's so many ways to cheat with pull ups. If you're not going to a dead hang then almost touching your chest then I don't know wtf. Maybe the chicks at the gym don't care but you're only cheating yourself

From there yeah increase the weight slowly. You can scissor a dumbbell between your knees/legs if you don't have a chain/hip belt (might look silly with a 5lb plate on that)

I want to see a 2.5 lb weight on a chain

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Speaking of pull-ups, anyone have some good cues for making sure your lats are engaged? I'm on a mission to git gud at pullups. I've found some good vids, etc, but I still feel like I'm getting it right like 25% of the time. For some reason I just can't get it quite right and given that I'm 230 pounds arms alone doesn't really cut it. Also if there is a thread in YLLS that I would get a serious answer to this question in let me know. I know this one isn't the most well-frequented.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

vulturesrow posted:

Speaking of pull-ups, anyone have some good cues for making sure your lats are engaged? I'm on a mission to git gud at pullups. I've found some good vids, etc, but I still feel like I'm getting it right like 25% of the time. For some reason I just can't get it quite right and given that I'm 230 pounds arms alone doesn't really cut it. Also if there is a thread in YLLS that I would get a serious answer to this question in let me know. I know this one isn't the most well-frequented.

Go literally chest-to-bar, and get yourself a good hang for a second and focus on your shoulder blades sticking out of your back.

-a guy who is admittedly not great at pullups

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Try to get the bars to your nips while making the "big chest" and imagine you are trying to push the bar under your feet while squeezing a pencil in between your shoulders. Just try that motion sitting in your computer chair and you should be able to feel your lats flex.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

I think I need to start doing high bar twice a week, my loving off the floor is poo poo because my quads are hilariously behind the rest of my body in terms of strength and size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-V-_pcb7N4

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The problem with pull-ups is they're hard and no one just starts cranking 10-15 out. But gotta be a big dog for a ladies so they just do poo poo form.

9/10 people that do pull-ups do them wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

The problem with pull-ups is they're hard and no one just starts cranking 10-15 out. But gotta be a big dog for a ladies so they just do poo poo form.

9/10 people that do pull-ups do them wrong

BUT WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO DO FULL ARM EXTENSION!?