Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

How come the DoD doesn't just give out roids and monitor people's blood levels. Be all that you can be.

It's not like any of the branches is that concerned about long-term health in people anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
being huge is a liability when people are shooting at you. so dont get shot at mustang

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
All right so now it's Monday longish run, Tuesday chest/tris/shoulders, Wednesday is squats/legs, Thursday is deadlifts/shitton of rows, Friday is a bunch of curls/forearm stuff. Is there a better way to optimize or rearrange the days? Or do something different Friday?

Just going to do intervals after work or something. It's really annoying working out with a group of guys with no inclination to lift weights. They always want to gravitate towards the cable machines and do easy poo poo. I have no idea how I get them to do deadlifts and squats in the first place. Or how I ended up as the guy that decides the workouts.

Fortunately the other guy I work with that also likes lifting gets back from Pacific Pathways rotation in a couple weeks so we can go get swole and they can go do random poo poo if they want to.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, don't run on Mondays. No one in the history of running or the military has ever liked running on a Monday, and if they do then they hate themselves and the people they are in charge of.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That's the one day I can't touch, I think it's a BDE wide thing because it seems like literally everyone is out running on Mondays.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

not caring here posted:

Yeah, don't run on Mondays. No one in the history of running or the military has ever liked running on a Monday, and if they do then they hate themselves and the people they are in charge of.

I feel that way no matter what day it is

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
make them run every day and then mondays won't seem quite so bad. apply to every other poo poo reg possible

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

make them run every day and then mondays won't seem quite so bad. apply to every other poo poo reg possible

Just got back from SNCO Academy I see

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I can't wait till I'm an officer in *insert branch here* and instill the warrior discipline in all my troops.

10 mile runs all day every day followed by CrossFit and then strict paleo diet.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Paleo would be an improvement over Sodexo's "three pounds of potatoes and half a chicken breast" diet

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_DXjYYOoOQ

Probably the most clean (ish) 605 I've pulled, came up pretty smooth but the last bit of hip extension looked and felt like a janky mess.

Mustang posted:

All right so now it's Monday longish run, Tuesday chest/tris/shoulders, Wednesday is squats/legs, Thursday is deadlifts/shitton of rows, Friday is a bunch of curls/forearm stuff. Is there a better way to optimize or rearrange the days? Or do something different Friday?

Just going to do intervals after work or something. It's really annoying working out with a group of guys with no inclination to lift weights. They always want to gravitate towards the cable machines and do easy poo poo. I have no idea how I get them to do deadlifts and squats in the first place. Or how I ended up as the guy that decides the workouts.

Fortunately the other guy I work with that also likes lifting gets back from Pacific Pathways rotation in a couple weeks so we can go get swole and they can go do random poo poo if they want to.

Are you looking for like legit serious powerlifting style programming, or just something to throw at the circus to keep the monkeys dancing?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Some kind of legit weightlifting/powerlifting routine we can do Tuesday through Friday, bench press, squats and deadlifts being the primary lifts.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Mustang posted:

Some kind of legit weightlifting/powerlifting routine we can do Tuesday through Friday, bench press, squats and deadlifts being the primary lifts.

Grab the Cube Method book off of Amazon (or, you know, :filez:) and give that a look. I would say 5/3/1 isn't terrible and can work for a while, but while it's easy to grasp and a solidly established programming scheme it starts getting really loving old after a while.

Basic gist of Cube-style poo poo is you've got 3 rep/set/technique variations done in a staggered order so you're never doing more than one of each a week: Heavy, Explosive, and Reps. Heavy pulls, explosive bench, rep squats. Explosive pulls, rep bench, heavy squats. That sort of thing. Add in varying intensities, peaking every 10 weeks where you test your new 1RMs and continue on from there.

Here's a quick little calculator where you can get a kind of big picture overview of how things work. You can see how the assistance exercises are pretty retard proof for sets/reps and use fairly straightforward linear progression; matching some things to keep what would otherwise be lagging (and thus problem) muscle groups up to speed while also doing work for the complementary antagonist pair to the agonist or "prime mover" work done during your primary compounds, or just simply adding further volume to the targeted muscle group slash plane of motion.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
There's a 5/3/1 variation that has explosive and speed stuff for accessory work which I really like since it carries over to sports and not just lifting. Cube looks pretty legit too, but I love busting max rep sets once or twice a week so that's why I stick with 5/3/1. Either progam will get you strong as gently caress as long as you stay consistent with your training.

ps sick deadlift

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Honestly the more my lifts go up, the more loving horrible and grind-y those max effort shits end up being. Like there's no bones about it, I'm going to loving kill myself wringing out every little bit of effort that I can to blow up that third working set with 5/3/1 because I can't help but do that. Being able to make serious progression while not feeling like I'm either going to loving die or that I left something on the table is magical.

As far as the athleticism slash sports carry-over thing goes I'm going to be completely upfront and say that I don't give half a gently caress about that, I'm in it solely for retard strength and the side bonuses of looking halfway decent naked while being able to unintentionally physically intimidate 99% of the population. Because I'm a grossly immature manchild, and I think it's funny as gently caress.

elite_garbage_man posted:

ps sick deadlift

D'aww. Trying for 700+ before the end of the year but we'll see how that goes, managed to clear a 1k push/pull total which is its own brand of special. Finally (hopefully) in the groove for programming, making serious conscious efforts to identify problem child muscle groups and correct for the downstream lagging portions of my lifts while also doing more work to (again hopefully) head foreseeable injuries off at the pass.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Grab the Cube Method book off of Amazon (or, you know, :filez:) and give that a look. I would say 5/3/1 isn't terrible and can work for a while, but while it's easy to grasp and a solidly established programming scheme it starts getting really loving old after a while.

Basic gist of Cube-style poo poo is you've got 3 rep/set/technique variations done in a staggered order so you're never doing more than one of each a week: Heavy, Explosive, and Reps. Heavy pulls, explosive bench, rep squats. Explosive pulls, rep bench, heavy squats. That sort of thing. Add in varying intensities, peaking every 10 weeks where you test your new 1RMs and continue on from there.

Here's a quick little calculator where you can get a kind of big picture overview of how things work. You can see how the assistance exercises are pretty retard proof for sets/reps and use fairly straightforward linear progression; matching some things to keep what would otherwise be lagging (and thus problem) muscle groups up to speed while also doing work for the complementary antagonist pair to the agonist or "prime mover" work done during your primary compounds, or just simply adding further volume to the targeted muscle group slash plane of motion.

Thanks, going to look at this next week, have to go to Yakima for the weekend.

My boss's replacement showed up today, too early to tell if I'll find myself doing IOTV PT every morning or not but from first impressions I don't think he's going to gently caress with our PT.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hey wheres a good place to get fitted for running shoes? ive got wicked high arches and a screw in my right foot so i want to get this right and not injure myself yet again.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Find a local running specialty store that has gait analysis. I have two local options both of which are fine. All the employees are runners and they use a treadmill with a slo-mo camera to capture your running gait at different speeds and then watch the footage with you and explain what's going on, and use that to recommend different types of shoes and fine tune it. After they identify a good pair for you, suck it up and drop the $150 or so to buy it from them, you can always get your second pair cheaper online or something once you know the model and size you like.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just wanted to thank everyone here for the good posts, it's helped me push the envelope in training.

I can ruck with about 100lb 30k no problem but things fall apart after that. If I wanted to train harder so I could jog or go further with more weight, what should I do? I really don't want to blow out my knees being a dumbass on my own time.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just want to say I loving hate trying to lose weight. It's a bitch, I hate tracking my calories and cutting out soda from my diet and the disappointment of weight staying on. I hate sticking to it, which is the hardest loving part, because quitting after a week due to complications or whatever is way too easy to do.

Okay, E/N over.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Tyro posted:

Find a local running specialty store that has gait analysis. I have two local options both of which are fine. All the employees are runners and they use a treadmill with a slo-mo camera to capture your running gait at different speeds and then watch the footage with you and explain what's going on, and use that to recommend different types of shoes and fine tune it. After they identify a good pair for you, suck it up and drop the $150 or so to buy it from them, you can always get your second pair cheaper online or something once you know the model and size you like.

This, seriously. I had no idea how bad my pronation was and my feet were always hurting. The guys got me into shoes I never heard of, ordered the extra wide poo poo I needed and I'm all good

Then the store went under and now I have to order from Amazon

--------------------

Anyone have recommendations for sandbags, or use them at all? I'm thinking of getting Go Ruck or Brute Force and haven't experienced either.

Also post your Spotify workout motivation playlist

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

For sandbags I used some old green duffle bags filled with rubber mulch from home depot. I put the mulch in those heavy duty contractor trash bags and put those into the duffle bags, that way it doesn't get out. I was able to pack 65lbs worth of it into one duffle bag. The mulch is pretty cheap, and since it's rubber it won't rot or anything.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

sky shark posted:

Also post your Spotify workout motivation playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2r3UgeyiuQ
On repeat

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

down 32 lbs from January. it'd be nice to get down to my pre-wedding weight in the next month or so (about another 15 lbs). gonna hopefully be love-handle free for the trip to jamaica in March. 8 years of marriage hath ravaged this body.

honestly trying to get 8 hours of sleep a night is helping out the most. cutting out soda/red bulls/coffee and poo poo to make it though night shift is certainly doing it's part too.

it took about a week to not want to sleep every 5 seconds but now i'm on the other end and it feels rad.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Did you cut out caffeine entirely? Or just for the long shifts? Because I couldn't function without a cup or two when I wake up, but yeah I am with you on avoiding it on the long night shifts. I think getting enough sleep is my biggest problem when it comes to keeping fit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

out completely. only drinking water (sometimes with Mio, mostly without)

also i got the arianna huffington book about sleep and it's really an eye-opener.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Good for you man. I'm not gonna give it up, I enjoy coffee too much. But caffeine withdrawal does suck.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i was sick with the republican butt disease for a week so thats when i quit. i felt like poo poo anyways and needed to hydrate so i did it then

ive had sips of soda since then and jesus christ how did i drink that much sugar

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

you're still beautiful to me no matter what weight you are.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was genuinely surprised how many calories were coming from pop and coffee drinks. Goddamn.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

being huge is a liability when people are shooting at you. so dont get shot at mustang

I work with a guy who is a army NG dude who's kinda big(muscle under fat but tall too)
He changed mos from MP to Infantry (light fighter too I think) so I'm looking forward to him complaining about ruining his knees

I've switched over pretty much entirely to BW workouts with occasional weights to supp.

My joints feel better and I still can lift as much

I'm using Paul Wades "Convict Conditioning" book as a guide and working up to the harder stuff

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

I was genuinely surprised how many calories were coming from pop and coffee drinks. Goddamn.

yeah. i usually drank diet or zero calorie stuff too. i drank a pepsi clear because i saw em them at the grocery store, but besides one poo poo night where the Mio i was using was caffinated (i had no idea why I didn't sleep at all following it) that's been it.

im down about 45 lbs now.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah. i usually drank diet or zero calorie stuff too. i drank a pepsi clear because i saw em them at the grocery store, but besides one poo poo night where the Mio i was using was caffinated (i had no idea why I didn't sleep at all following it) that's been it.

im down about 45 lbs now.

That's pretty loving awesome. Congrats.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Dingleberry posted:

I work with a guy who is a army NG dude who's kinda big(muscle under fat but tall too)
He changed mos from MP to Infantry (light fighter too I think) so I'm looking forward to him complaining about ruining his knees

I've switched over pretty much entirely to BW workouts with occasional weights to supp.

My joints feel better and I still can lift as much

I'm using Paul Wades "Convict Conditioning" book as a guide and working up to the harder stuff

I downloaded an excerpt after I read your post. The intro chapter is definitely a bit self-aggrandizing and the author goes off on some poo poo that I hate, i.e., bodybuilding strength isn't functional strength which is utter bs. However if the routines work I'm down to try it as weightlifting is getting a little stale for me. Any additional thoughts?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

I downloaded an excerpt after I read your post. The intro chapter is definitely a bit self-aggrandizing and the author goes off on some poo poo that I hate, i.e., bodybuilding strength isn't functional strength which is utter bs. However if the routines work I'm down to try it as weightlifting is getting a little stale for me. Any additional thoughts?

I half read the fluff in between actual workout stuff
The routines seem pretty solid
Joint pain and tendonitis issues seem to be alleviated with the BW workouts
It's nice needing nothing other than a pull-up bar and a basketball too to get a good workout

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Dingleberry posted:

I half read the fluff in between actual workout stuff
The routines seem pretty solid
Joint pain and tendonitis issues seem to be alleviated with the BW workouts
It's nice needing nothing other than a pull-up bar and a basketball too to get a good workout

I haven't read the actual workout program yet. My understanding after reading some reviews is that each exercise progression starts with some really basic stuff, like wall push-ups. Did you just jump to the level you felt like you could manage our did you start at the beginning of each progression?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

I haven't read the actual workout program yet. My understanding after reading some reviews is that each exercise progression starts with some really basic stuff, like wall push-ups. Did you just jump to the level you felt like you could manage our did you start at the beginning of each progression?

Jumped to the level I felt comfortable with; and supplement the workout by doing sets of the next lower level as a drop set in effect.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Lingering over someone while they're in the squat rack asking "how many more" after every set is an established justification for murder right?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

only if you plan on doing curls because nobody wants to lose their bicep pump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Idk if this belongs here but I finally got the VA Choice program to cover my physical therapy for my shoulder. Holy gently caress i feel overwhelmed right now by how much I'll have to retrain my shoulder. That and I'm super pissed at the army again for how lovely my original treatment was. Having a real physical therapist with one on one therapy is far superior to what I went through in Italy and Bragg.