Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Shoulder injury guy, talk to a physical therapist. If you see your primary doc they should be able to get you a referral to specialty care. If you have a specific orthopedic injury and history you should get examined by an expert.

To the guy who was asking what X-Tren is, its Trenavar, which is a Pro-Hormone which your body converts into Trenbolone, which is a pretty potent anabolic steroid. Many Pro-Hormones are not technically illegal (mostly because they come out faster than congress can add them to the scheduled drug list), but are of course banned in sports and are generally pretty rough on your body (usually far more so than just taking steroids). It is basically in the same realm as spice/bath salts. People only take them because they can't use the real deal, for some reason. There's no other good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22071400

Just gonna leave this here. This paper is awesome, it made my day. I now have peer reviewed journal evidence for something I've been saying for years. Feels good.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Cycle 2 Day 2 5/3/1, Squat Day. Hit all my reps and decided to do a Tabata workout on the spin bike with moderate resistance. 20/10 for 4 minutes. Holy poo poo I was so gassed at the end of that. I laid on the floor without moving a bit for 10 minutes.

5/3/1, BBB and Tabata has been my poo poo for a couple months now. I've been seeing pretty good results, and you can do the whole thing without needing much other than a squat rack and olympic bar.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

That dude is probably right from whatever narrow perspective he's looking at this from.

Not really. His argument is essentially that only "functional" movements are effective in training.

A) This is not true, you also have to consider CNS stress, and the use of isolation to train weak points. For example, if you do thrusters all the time (which is a pretty good functional movement), you may have previously well developed lower body and rely mostly on explosive leg power to get the bar moving, and not train the OHP portion of the lift. In that scenario, training strict press in isolation from the movement will yield better results than simply doing more thrusters. The analog of this is bench press to pushing something (like a prowler) in the real world. Your lower body push is probably so much stronger than your upper body push that the best training results will come from isolating the weaker portion of your body and training it. There's a reason linebackers do a ton of bench press, and it isn't just the fact that its a good mass-building exercise for chest.
2) The number of times you have to actually do a back squat or OHP in real life is minimal too, but that doesn't change the fact that they are important training movements.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Hey guys any recommendations for non-caffeinated pre-workouts? I use No-explode 2.0 and they do have a caffeine free version.

Just go to smartpowders and get all the ingredients you want. Cheaper, and you know you aren't getting fairydusted on any of the important stuff.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

I want to do this but I don't have a list of ingredients I want to use, I only have creatine in powder form and that's about it.
So what do you recommend?

For me, I take

Pre-workout:
Caffeine
Creatine
Beta Alanine
Taurine
*Citrulline Malate
*AAKG

The last two are known to not really do anything except make you feel like you're getting sick pumps. I like the tingly feeling they give me so I still take them, but honestly those are about all of the things you would possibly need. I'm also on 18mg Concerta (Methylphenidate), which is a stupidly powerful stimulant, but assuming you're not, some sort of 'racetam and choline would also be nice. Most of the other ingredients in pre-workouts are just pixie dust placebo. If you wanna get chemically amped up in the gym you're going to have to take a stimulant, and caffeine is really the best one. There's poo poo like sulbutiamine

Immediately post-workout I sometimes do the dextrose/BCAA thing, but more of then than not I just do a protein shake.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 7, 2014

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
A lot of pre-workouts are just big doses of caffeine/BA/creatine with flavor/filler now the 1,3 DMAA is illegal (lol). The just add a huge list of things that are added in minute amounts (or not at all really) and hide behind "proprietary blend."

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

I'm not disrespecting caffeine, I like caffeinated pre-workouts like NO Explode and C4. I just want an alternative that I can use on days that I want to workout but I have to go to bed early because I have to wake up early.

If you can't do any stimulants for sleep reasons, I'd say just BA, AAKG, Creatine.

EDIT: Comedy option - take stimulants anyways and get a script for Ambien, haha

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you're paying $225-250 a month, in like four months you could outfit yourself with a pretty bangin' garage gym. A couple horse stall mats, a squat rack with a pullup bar, a bar and some plates. poo poo, if you put a years worth of gym dues into it you could build a full-fledged oly/power gym. If you're not living in the barracks (in which case, make rank lmao) you should just build your own garage gym. Then, wherever you go, you have an awesome gym. I regret a few of my purchases, but that's always because I bought the wrong brand or something, not because I should have just gone and paid a quarter of a grand a month for the rights to work out with strangers.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

chicks to bang

sold, I guess

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

How much to do one squat?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I don't understand how a gym doesn't have a bench.

Yeah, just steal one from the dumbell area. If they don't even have a flatbench there, I don't know what the gently caress.

edit: reading comprehension, that's what you're doing. I prefer to bench in a cage anyways for the safeties, but it is still totally crazy to not have a bench.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I used to think this but then I checked out the Animal Barbell Club website, which I found through Dan Green's Facebook page, and they host get-togethers of people who are into old-school raw powerlifting and strongman kind of poo poo, and I found a bunch of dudes in my area that were lifting at gyms so stuck in the golden age of weightlifting they didn't have websites (or in some cases air conditioning). Sometimes the old dudes that run the best places just have enough members to stay open and don't feel the need to expand operations. There's one place in Philly that I got invited to that is literally in a relatively large storage unit, and you can only get in outside of two group workout times if you are trusted enough to be given a key to the padlock. I'm pretty sure running a gym out of a storage locker is totally illegal (or sketchy at best), but the dudes that worked out there were totally legit. Ultimately I didn't sign up because I couldn't make their workout times, but I really wished I could because they had at least a few 600+ lb squatters and a bunch of other guys who looked like that was within the realm of possibility. You'd be surprised at how many off-line gyms there are.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

reptileintheswamp posted:

How many pushups is it possible to add in a week and how many times per day should I be pushing to reach it?

"Surprise" (shouldn't have been a surprise but w/e) pt came up which I am on for next week (4th of Nov). I've spent the last few months doing the Texas method program as explained in Practical Programming. My pushups are poo poo. I tested myself Sunday and dropped at 50. I did 75 in my last PT test so I have the ability but obviously my eat big get big plan didn't sustain my precious calisthenics ability. What the gently caress rip.

Honestly, going from 50 to 75 if you haven't done pushups in a few months should be easy. I always found my pushups came back really fast just by doing a set or two each day. If you wanna get nuts about it, try to get 30-40 every few hours and the volume will bring back your pushup ability pretty quickly.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

That's why I advocate most people start really light and use it more as a teaching aid for prioproception than as an actual strength exercise. I mean if you've got solid awareness of and ability to maintain your lumbar curve through the whole thing, it's a golden posterior chain exercise. But most people? They'll just gently caress their poo poo up if they try to go heavy.

Search youtube for "Louie Simmons Chair Deadlift" (I can't get on Youtube on this network). He knows his poo poo, and this has worked really well for me when helping other people in the past.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

January? sounds like you got plenty of time to schedule a doctor's appointment. so does the rest of your fireteam. all the prep you need son

As a Corpsman, I will say this dude has the right answer. You know a ruck run has no benefit for readiness or effectiveness, and will seriously gently caress up your body. The answer should be obvious. Book a doctor's appointment for something that requires a pretty decent workup and sounds serious enough that they won't question it, then spring it on your unit a week before the ruck. The question is: spend 30 minutes in medical now looking like an rear end in a top hat or spend hours of your life, plus the radiation and wasted money on poo poo like MRIs when you gently caress up your shins/knees/hips/back doing this poo poo. Never not skate out of ruck running. If you can get away with it, get yourself out of boots/utes runs too, but definitely skip the ruck run.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Thinking about setting up a small workout area in my new place. I think I have enough room to squeeze something practical in here. It is carpet though. Maybe a squat rack/adjustable bench setup. Anyone ever used those bowflex or powerblock adjustable dumbells? The ones that go up to 90 are really expensive. Probably going to try to get everything off craigslist, we'll see. But just need an olympic bar, 4 45s, and a handful of smaller increments. I'm also on the bottom floor thankfully so no concern there. The carpet isn't too thick or cumbersome but maybe i'll look into some sort of tiles to set down in a small area.

I'm on campus at the moment so no pictures, but I purchased the top-of-the-line (3x3 11ga supports, 84" high) NewYork Barbell Squat Rack with high/low lat-pull attachment, and have a cheapo powerlifting-type bar (31mm, center knurl) and a decent amount of iron plates (6x45, 2x25, 4x10, 2x5, 2x2.5). I also have a FID bench, dip stand, dip belt, gymnastic rings (set low like a TRX), olympic EZ-Curl bar, olympic plate dumbell handles, a bunch of handles for the high/low lat-pull, a full set of pairs of bands (micro mini to super heavy), a pair of 16kg kettlebells and a 32kg kettlebell. Here's my general advice, based on what I've learned from building my home gym:

- The above dude recommending horse-stall mats is right. Get them, they will protect your floor, your weights and your wallet. They will make your house smell like rubber for a week but it goes away.

- Focus on multi-use items, as the amount of space this takes up skyrockets quickly. Buy from brands that have a lot of accessories available as attachments to whatever rack you get to minimize the number of large stand-alone parts. I've never used decline bench, and rarely bothered with incline (I just do standing press and flat bench) so I could have gotten a much higher quality bench if I had bought just a simple flat bench.

- Buying olympic bars off Craigslist is a crapshoot. I spent a lot of time learning exactly what to look for in a bar in terms of condition, and I would have gotten scammed at least three or four times before I found the bar I bought if I hadn't. It's really hard to eyeball whether a bar is slightly bent, and I had at least one person try and pass off a cheap CAP as a York, since both are the same size and have the same markings. Ultimately I bought a cheap bar from someone who was at least honest and gave a good price - I probably would have looked forever if I was trying to find a decent price on a real quality bar. The iron I bought all at the same time for a really good price, since it's much harder to lie about hunks of metal. I ended up buying all 'Weider Hammertone' plates from a guy who was leaving the area; they are sorta poo poo, but I was able to pick them up for less than 70 cents per pound.

- If you cheap out on the bar and weights like I did, invest in a pair of 10lb/5kg spin-lock compression collars. Ivanko, Eleiko and Fringesport all make them, there's probably more knockoffs out there too. They're about $125 a pair from good brands, but they lock the weights nicely into place so there's no plate slop, which is really nice for deadlifts and powercleans. I'm talking about these: http://www.fringesport.com/collections/weightlifting-accessories/products/vaughn-weightlifting-weightlifting-collars-pair (unlike NYBB, I really really recommend Fringesport. Their customer service reps have done right by me on several occasions and their prices are fair and include shipping).

If I was to do it all again, I'd probably get a Rogue HR-2 half-rack or S-2 squat stand with safety spotter arms and plate storage, an actual decent oly bar with bumper plates, a flat bench, and the rings. I enjoy having the full cage, the lat-pull, and the incline bench, but ultimately they get less use than the suspension rings, pull-up/dips and "big three" lifting, which you can do with just the stand. The stand also dominates the room less, costs slightly less money, and is much lighter when PCSing. Rogue stuff costs a brand premium, but has really awesome rack accessories, like a GHD, reverse hyper, dip station, plate storage, etc. Adjustable dumbells are nice, but really expensive and IMO not really necessary.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Your surrogate key posted:

Did you find a solution? Because I'm having the same problem. How is a "strength+running+rest+have a life" program suppose to look like?
I do the starting strength during my lunch break and run 10km after work, followed by a rest day. Rinse and repeat. That sort of works but it renders me useless in the evenings. I foam roll and do yoga in my rest days.
Thinking of trying strength training and running on alternative days but then when do I rest?! o.O

I've been fond of:

Monday: Squat, Heavy Bench, Volume OHP, High-rep Pull-ups, Tabata
Wed: BW exercises (push-ups, crunches & planks mostly) and a run
Friday: DL, Heavy OHP, Volume Bench, High-rep Pull-ups, Tabata
Saturday: Power-cleans, Weighted Pull-ups, Swim/Yoga if I feel like it

It's slightly less than SS, but gets in enough to regularly make a bit of progress. You can do 3x5 for the compounds and heavy presses or 5/3/1 if you stop progressing with linear work. Can also switch Wed and Sat if you don't like actually getting up to go to the gym on Saturdays.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Mustang posted:

Go to a running store and have them analyze your feet and stride and recommend you a pair of shoes but instead of paying a ton of money go order the same pair of shoes online for cheaper.

I don't think I've ever seen a running store where everything isn't overpriced. CERA Sport packets for like 4 bucks each, $50 running shorts, it's ridiculous.

It's almost like the place has to hire people with knowledge and experience to help test you and give expert advice and that costs money. People like you are the reason places like Walmart and Home Depot are so successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Diver Dick posted:

So I broke my wrist at work. Bench and deadlift are out due to the cast. Can I at least do barbell squats for the next six weeks, or am I stuck with machines that don't involve the use of my hands?

Does your gym have a safety squat bar?