Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
This deployment is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me as far as fitness. There's literally nothing to do here except work out. Yay Wednesday night off? Better go run 10 loving miles because otherwise I'm going to sit in my trailer in the CC and listen to people gently caress all night.

That and the chicken. I can get chicken every meal. Every day. gently caress yeah.

420 wear vibrams, deadlift everyday.

smertrioslol fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Kaliber posted:

I was bored and super stiff from land nav'ing through mud and woods and having to run 7 clicks through it to get back to my finish point because it took me almost a hour to go up and down a trail looking for my last 2 points due to mud and getting abit dehydrated from all the supplements I recently started taking to bulk up.

Did a quick WOD in the Audie Murphy gym on Benning.

A circuit of
185 lbs dead lifts 10x
95lbs Push Press 10x
35KG Kettlebell swing 10x
14 LBS wallball 15x

4 sets for time.

Was super smoked afterwards but nice and loose. Then I ate lunch, took a nap and now everything aches again.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to skip out on my rest day and do a WOD of 3 wall balls with the 14 lbs, then 2 blurpees and and repeat 29 times as fast as possible.

That workout actually sounds like fun. I kind of want to buy all the crap needed for crossfit-esque workouts when I get back from this TDY since I'll have money to burn. I'm kinda bored of the whole "lift weights go run" mentality that I've been in for the past year.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Helldump Immunity posted:

Wanna trade rooms? :wink:

Wanna just move in? :wink:

I hate how my shop keeps a couple of thousand candy bars on hand at all times for the fatties I work with. It's really lovely to have a rare 10 minutes in the break room only to see A1C Doublechin and SrA Fupa devouring peanut butter cups while I get my tuna packet. Not a very positive environment.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Whip Slagcheek posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Are you cheating on me HI? :colbert:

We're gonna go spot each other in the gym. I can't wait for squat day.

Speaking of, leg day in the desert sucks. Being dehydrated most of the time, and than being on your feet for 10+ hours. Anyone have any tips on how to avoid horrible debilitating soreness after leg day?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Oh, I'm never too sore to work out the next day...I just hate the horrible agony I go through every Wednesday/Thursday. I'm pretty sure the sleep thing is where I get screwed the worst. I consume more protein than is probably necessary; the sacrifices we make to get SWOLE.

I'll definitely give stretching more a try. I do stretch quite a bit, but I'm sure I could always do more.

In other fitness related news, today there was a man who:
1. Gelled his hair for the gym
2. Grunted his most manly grunt with each and every rep of each and every set
3. Kept his music blasting between sets so when he talked to his friend he had no idea that he was broadcasting himself to the entire free weight section

There should be a rule that you can just hit these people. With no warning.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
C4 so good. Except it makes me want to poop immediately after taking it.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

Little less than a month out from my record APFT. I've started incorporating push-ups and a lot more ab work into my lifting days and have started doing longer runs. I'll probably start mixing in 400-800 meter work this week or next week.

Like someone said up above, HIIT and sprints will help your run time. A lot.

Run a 400m sprint, and than walk for the same period of time it took you to run it. Repeat 4-8 times (work your way up to 8). Try to set a pace that you can keep for each sprint.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Kaliber posted:

So while at ALC I been attempting to bulk up. Day after day of 3 meals at the chow hall, tuna/protein shakes in between meals, junk food whenever I do, a med pizza every night. I gained only 2 pounds and lost some definition in my abs. What the gently caress? This is horse poo poo. I blame all that hardcore PRT. But my bench did go up like crazy.

Medium pizza does not translate into definition in your abs. Cut that out.

rrail posted:

I only get 2 meals a day and my final meal of the day is breakfast, which is notoriously carb heavy. It sucks balls. I have to eat the same 2 things every day.

No dietary variety makes Rrail something something..

I eat two pieces of chicken + vegetable for breakfast and scrambled eggs + everything (no cheese) for lunch. Tuna between meals. Protein shake after lifting. Every. Single. Day. Chow hall food makes me sad. But hey, I look great!

I think a portion of the cash I made on this deployment is going to go to making my own crossfit garage gym. It doesn't look like it would be THAT expensive (especially when you have a large amount of disposable income sitting in your bank account that will probably otherwise go to beer).

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Whip Slagcheek posted:

It doesn't sound like he's trying to get cut, but rather bulk up. A lot of people will "dirty" bulk to get weight on since its easier and cheaper.

Just starting my summer lean down cycle next week. Gonna suck cutting down my carbs. :(

Clean eating wins every time! At least for me. If I eat anything remotely unhealthy, I'll look in the mirror the next day and feel like I gained 10 pounds of fat. In reality, I'm probably just crazy and imagining things.

Rrail posted:

Like how much are we talking?

Around a thousand dollars or something depending on what brands and if I buy new. Pretty much just need a couple of medicine balls, a bench, a squat rack, an olympic bar, some weight, and a set of rings for muscle ups. Gonna just make rings out of PVC pipe like how the site says. I havn't done any serious research yet though, so it could be a lot more.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Well, no matter what the correct answer is do more deadlifts. Which I'm gonna go do right now.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I want to do crossfit, but the air force keeps putting me places where they don't have it. There's nothing to support it here in the Deid. And the closest gym to Minot is about four hours away. Rage.

In other news, Helldump Immunity, what time do you go to the gym? There's a couple of navy/marine girls (HOT. Maybe hot. Might just be deployment hot.) that wear ranger panties and go between 2-4pm local at the CC gym.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Helldump Immunity posted:

My schedule shifted so I may be able to make that time to check out the scenery.

I'll be the guy with the beard not giving fucks.

I'll be the guy who isn't there tomorrow since it's my day off. But I'll keep an eye out for bearded men who are stingy with their fucks.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
A bearded man spoke to me in the CC gym today. Was that you HI???

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

Did he give no fucks?

No, he creeped me out. Than he saw me later after I finished my shower and informed me that "THAT IS A CLASSY TATTOO SON."

I really hope it wasn't HI.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

Yeah, I've seen that happen at a huge nightclub in Baltimore before (probably the most epic bar fight I've ever seen, actually). This is a pretty small venue, though.

Are you an enormous, intimidating man? If so, collect your free money. Otherwise, be prepared for a lot of people who are actually going to fight as opposed to being scared to.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

There was a W&W thread on it for a while, but I can't find it.

I don't see it there either...may I suggest cross fit if there's a proper gym somewhere near you?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Whip Slagcheek posted:

gently caress Cross Fit. Not so much the exercises, they're pretty functional and give you a good workout. But, the gyms and the people that associate with them are insufferable.

Oh, I agree. Most people who I've run into who only do crossfit are such douchebag fitness elitists that it's impossible to have a conversation with them that doesn't end with you wanting to punch them in the mouth.

But the workouts are so good.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

A lot of normal gyms have all of the equipment required for crossfit these days, anyway. All it takes then is dropping a few bucks for a workout manual and finding a friend or two to do it with.

Or you could do P90X and skirt the whole issue of equipment entirely.

P90X isn't bad, I guess. I've always been turned off to any kind of workout that comes on a tape/dvd. Don't really have a real reason to justify said turn off either. I stole half of their ab ripper workout for mine, though.

I don't think I would ever sign up for a crossfit gym for more than a month. Once you have a solid understanding of all the lifts, there's no reason to pay that much money. Hell, between all the crap they have on their site to help you learn how to do the lifts on your own (youtube lifts, suggested alternate workouts, forums with all sorts of posts on how to tone down the workouts if you're not ready for them) and the FREE workouts they give everyday, I don't see why anyone goes to a gym for an extended period of time unless they have some motivation problems. I've been doing some research on how much it would cost me to get all the equipment I needed to do their workouts at home, and it's really not that much. Between craigslist and yard sales and potentially some brand new stuff, it's way less than a year at a crossfit gym.

Don't let the commercialized aspect of it turn you off, there's a lot of great ideas to be gleaned from it, even if you're not hardcore into the program. I havn't even started it yet, but I use a lot of their ideas in my own workouts.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Well I don't know what sort of terrible big Army gyms you guys had, but out in the Eurozone things were pretty nice. Vicenza represent. My only problem was feeling inferior around guys who may or may not have found a supplier of Pakistani horse steroids during the last deployment.

We got camel roids here in Qatar :v:

Straight out of the hump of the camel

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

MurderBot posted:

Pftt. you people and your weights.

Come talk to me when you want a REAL man's workout.

Are you planning on meeting your future ex-wife there or something? I couldn't even take this seriously the one time I saw it on base. It was a bunch of (mostly fat) wives and one hot instructor doing awful dance moves. Even the fatties barely looked like they broke a sweat.

This horribly agitating NCO I work with swears by it. She also swears that running "is no longer a challenge to me like Zumba is." She gets an 80 on her PT test.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I have to lead PT this morning, and I was planning on making it worthwhile, but when I sent the unit PT manager the email with what I was going to have everyone do, he shot it down immediately. He told me that squadron PT is NOT for getting in a good workout :v:. He told me that it's for networking within the squadron and getting to know each other, and to improve morale.

Tell me how sacraficing 90 minutes out of my 11 hours a day that I'm not working improves morale. And why I should give a gently caress about networking with some fat NCOs who are going to get kicked out because even if they wanted to do a good workout, we're not allowed to.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Kaliber posted:

He should see my moto tattoo on my legs then.

:allears:

Oh no, I'm out of C4 as of right now. What the hell do I do while I wait for some crappy website to send it to me in two weeks?

Run with the hot girl from TMO, that's what. The only good thing to come out of that squadron PT (which wasn't that bad, because I got to pick what we did) was gaining this new workout partner.

:megaman: She will be my rape shield if I ever see Helldump Immunity here :megaman:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

Ugh, I know, it's so impossible to lift without supplements!

It's less that I "can't" and more of a "gently caress I need some caffeine when I wake up." I'm averaging 6-7 hours of sleep a night because I can't get used to 12's on night shift to save my life.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Tell him you can hear his music through your headphones, and that you would appreciate it if they would turn it down. If they refuse, talk to their supervisor. You're a contractor, so your word automatically trumps them. Throw out awesome buzzwords like "disrespectful, lack of professionalism, detracting from the army/af/marine/navy image, will not compromise," etc.

If that doesn't work, kick him in the throat, and crush his testicles with a 45lb plate.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Grampybone posted:

If a contractor came and complained to me about an actual service member I can't help but think I would straight up slap him.

edit: Shut up.

Calm down there killer, and take your internet sarcasm detection CBT.

Content: So Rrail, I really think that violence is the answer here.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

gleep glop posted:

I forgot the white sunglasses. Real talk though, almost everyone tries steroids overseas and doesn't do poo poo.

I haven't and won't try steroids :colbert:

My balls are too small already.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
This is why you do training that makes sense regardless of what the military wants you to do for their dumb test. You can't tell me that you can't meet the minimums of the PT test if you're in good shape, regardless of how much you hate distance running. 1.5 miles is NOT a distance run.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Rrail posted:

I am in just awful cardiovascular shape at this point, I am sure. I used to do 15 minutes @ 110rpm on a medium difficulty high climb mode on the exercise bike and my heart rate would read out as like 195bpm. So basically dancing on the edge of death. It came down over time of course but then I stopped doing that when like 8 different people told me "Stop doing cardio idiot".

Gonna start doing HIIT again in mid-May. Not looking forward to puking.

Good god, I don't think I've ever seen my heartrate above 170, and that's after full sprints. Your heart is going to explode. HIIT is probably the way to go for you, assuming you don't die in the process.

Nice avatar by the way.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

So on my 2 mile run today, my 1.5 mile cardiovascular examination was satisfactory, but my half mile of heart at the end exceeded the standard.

Now that I'm done with this nonsense for another 6 months it's time to get back into gains mode.

Get a 90, don't test for a year. That's a whole year of gains :smug:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Henry Meowlins posted:

I already am when I go back to west Texas, but it isn't good enough. I'm going to look like that again. I've been jacked, and I will return.

I have seen the promised land, and the road there is paved with chicken breast and broccoli.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Just bought a bicycle. Going to see how long I can avoid driving my truck. Which is going to get very difficult once I have to start traveling 13 miles to work once my R&R is over.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

MurderBot posted:

get ready for the rock hard most solid swole taint in your life

taint bro's 4 lyfe.

What can I do to limit this taint swole? Are there some kind of special pants or something, I really have no idea what I'm doing with this whole biking thing. Just wanna save money on gas, and have an excuse to ride around with my shirt off downtown.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

DaNerd posted:

There are cycling specific shorts that help a lot. Check out Pearl Izumi, Gore, or Icebreaker for their cycling collections. Pearl Izumi is my first recommendation.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Today I fell victim to sore taint (who would have guessed riding for two hours after not doing it for 3+ years was a bad idea??)

In other news, I've discovered the joys of fresh salmon. Walmart has these packs of four filets for $5 that are vacuum sealed and they're delicious.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
People in my flight managed to find all sorts of roids in the Deid. I think it might be more prevalent than most would assume.

Getting back in the gym after a month of leave is awful. I hate not being able to do what I was able to in June.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

gleep glop posted:

Planet fitness tried this but instead yells at you if you grunt or drop weights or clink weights.

I am guilty of this sometimes and I always feel like someone should break a plate glass window over my head when I do it. No one does of course, because it's par for the course for the base gym.

That's why I signed up for the YMCA today :sun:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Ashmole posted:

283 apft (83 pushups,87 situps, and 1425) time to gorge on thanksgiving goodies.

Just knocked out a 90something on the joke of an air force test. Time to get fat on thanksgiving and spend the next year fixing it.

I really want to get into swimming but I find myself gassed after a few laps. I'm not cardio crazy or anything, but I had assumed I could do a lot better than that. Am I just in miserable shape, or is swimming really that hard for someone who runs and lifts weights as their only hobbies?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Running was always mental to me.

Pretty much this. I can run forever if I'm in the mood for it. Or I'll say gently caress it and bow out after a mile. I need to stop saying gently caress it.

Anyone have a good marathon running plan? Assume I'm in miserable distance running shape, but I can do a 10k if I really had to. Every time I Google this poo poo the websites want me to pay for it, or are super vague. I'm tempted to sign up for the new York sports club to get their plan, and to have a better shot of getting in the marathon.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

faddypaddy posted:

There are literally a million such plans for free, you can check the running thread in ylls for links. However what are your goals finish, or meet some time goal? If your goal is just to finish I would say that most of the plans you will find will have you running a lot more miles than you need to.

Yeah, I just read some ylls threads about it. I mostly just want to finish one, as I primarily strength train, and it seems almost unattainable to me. I did a half and wanted to die.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

faddypaddy posted:

I would reccomend a 3 day a week plan that includes sprints medium run and long run. The medium run would start at around 4 -5 miles and increase to 8 or 9 max at a pace around 1min/mile slower than your two mile pace. The long run should be done on a saturday and start at around 1hr/6 miles which ever is shorter and increase 1-2miles/10-20 minutes a week after that until you hit 22 miles or 4 hours. This should be paced out over 12 - 16 weeks depending on current level of fitness. This is pretty much what I do and I have finished distances of up to 50miles on this kind of training. Not very fast but without injury and or feeling like I was going to die the following day. If you are lifting I would limit squats/deadlifts to Monday only during the buildup to the marathon because the extra running will severly affect your ability to recover from the lifts. If you PM your email I can send you a couple different spread sheets of my build ups to various distances. Also you shouldn't try any of this if you can not already run 20 miles a week without injury.

Woops, forgot that I got banned and lost PMs. I'll fix myself after work and hit you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Lil bastard looks like he's about to die on the pull up bar.

We could only be so lucky.

I started using fitocracy, and as goofy as it is, I kind of like it. Keeps me honest actually logging stuff.