Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh gently caress yea. Squatted 270, deadlifted 385 today. This was coming from being 195lb 5'6" to 165. Took me 8 months but I'm pretty loving stoked with those numbers. GiP will not approve at this--cutting back my booze intake helped a lot with losing weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tysterisk posted:

Somehow managed to up my low bar squat from 5/5/4 reps at 285 last week to 5/5/4 at 295 today, I think it might just be because I only had light deadlifts on Wednesday. Still enormously pissed with myself for being a retard and not squatting the first six months or so that I lifted.

Impressive that you made that much progress, while cutting no less. Two questions: High bar or low bar squats, and have you tried deadlifting on separate days?

I've pretty much always done them on different days but I've tried them back to back before and it's never pretty. Even doing high bar instead of low (less posterior chain in high bar, more quads) my deadlift drops like a loving rock and just feels awful. Squats after deadlifting, I have no power at all coming out of the hole.

Actually, third question. Have you accepted magnesium carbonate as your lord and savior?

Thanks. I worked really hard cleaning up my diet while lifting smartly. All I can say is rest, eating lots of decent food, and lifting hard is all that it really took. I weightlifted for years but this time there was a lot more research into doing it properly and efficiently that took place.

Low bar squat here. There was a period of time where I basically nixed any gains to go back to re-adjust my form to make sure it was good enough to press on to higher weights. Never tried deadlifting on separate days. My routine is squats, deadlifts, chest (variation of bench work or cable crossovers), pull ups/chin ups, shoulders, and lat stuff every 1 or 2 days. Usually I took two days off in between which helped immensely. It was exhausting at first but this routine works well for me. I've switched from a 5x5 to a bastardized 5/3/1for about a month and a half prior to going for a 1 rep max. Now I can properly do a 5/3/1 knowing these numbers.

I've used chalk occasionally for bench. Hand strength is what limited me severely on deadlifts till I started using straps. My hands are beat to hell from all of the work prior to that though. What I will tell people starting to lift is get the form down right, lift smartly, listen to your body, and eat right. It's not a puzzle to figure out but takes hard work.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cool. I haven't read up on anything beyond the 5x5 or 5/3/1. Looks good.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Doing a proper 5/3/1 now. It's a nice break from Starting Strength or a 5x5. GET SWOLE BRO

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is creatine even something the DoD pisstests for or even cares about?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My problem with CF stems from the fact that the dudes who get into it become real loving douche bags about it. That's great to be enthusiastic about fitness but their behavior transcends into it CF being the best thing ever for anyone period.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ashmole posted:

I felt like a bad rear end doing it at first because the workouts are so weird, but CF is so loving random. "Let's do uh...5 sets of back squats for, hmmm 2 reps each? OK that's today's WOD. Tomorrow, uh... 100 pull ups and 50 200lb power cleans for time" The emphasis on reps over form is also terrible for a fitness program aimed at a general population.

Yea, there's no real rhyme or reason to the WOD's.

So I've moved to a 5/3/1 recently. On the 2nd wave of the first cycle. It's a nice break to switch poo poo up where each big lift has it's own day. I do like finishing up the warm up, working sets, and accessory poo poo all within 45 minutes and having plenty of time to stretch out. Doing a loaded 5x5 sucked up a lot of time.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tysterisk posted:

^^^

First wave of the third cycle for me today. Deadlifted 5@290, 5@335, and 6@380. First time in a while that I've immediately felt them in my hamstrings and glutes. Having the entire weight room go quiet and stare was pretty funny, too. I'm pretty amped, on track to hit at least a 5 plate max deadlift by the time I ship end of August.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I use strstd.com to calculate my 5/3/1 routine. It can be a little off one way or another on projected 1RMs but it can still give you a general idea, in addition to it's calculator function.

Yeah, I didn't feel like even touching the loving pants-on-head retardation involved in doing the most technique-based CNS-heavy lifts for time, with the most mind-bogglingly atrocious form imaginable. That plus the schizophrenic clusterfuck of programming or lack thereof inherent to "real" CrossFit just makes me cringe every time I think about it.

I use a spreadsheet that was posted in YLLS 5/3/1 thread. It's dead on accurate to what Wendler has in his book. I'm wanting to pull 500 lb by June 2013.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Shasta Cola posted:

Whenever I start a ruck, I get killer shin splints for about the first two miles before they go away. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this normal and I just have to deal with it.

It's not specific for rucking but toe raises will shore up most, if not all, shin splint issues.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Really liking the 5/3/1 program. About to close out the second cycle and I have no complaints so far. It's far more entertaining than a 5x5 is if you've been doing that for a while.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just entered a raw bench only powerlifting meet. I am so loving stoked to lift a shitload of weight and/or atomize my sternum attempting to do so.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cole posted:

I have some minor joint issues so lifting weights and doing a lot of pushups outside of daily pt can be a little bothersome. Is the pool a good alternative?

Yea it'll be good. What kind of exercises causes joint pain? You very well may have some simple form issues to make to lessen the pain.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cole posted:

when I was 18 I separated my shoulder lifting weights and ever since them I've overcompensated on my left side. A big part of it is form, I know, And I'll work on it, but in the meantime I would like to have a reliable and quick muscular endurance and cardio workout.

Look into plyometrics and bodyweight stuff then. Should be easy to avoid stuff that really hits the shoulders.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

Was trying to get my swole on last night(arms day best day) and this loving skinny dude was tying up the preacher curl pad for like 15 minutes doing 10million sets of 40lb curls and loving with his phone. I was internally raging so hard at him for loving up my routine.

That's base gym standard. I just assume I'll be waiting for some rear end in a top hat doing curls in the cage.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

moker posted:

I'm gonna be that guy but im so happy i set a deadlift pr today after just 2 months back in the gym i got 505 :D :D :D :D

Nice lift dude. I wanna pull ~480 by year's end.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dudes don't squat/deadlift cuz the poo poo is hard. Let them have their curls.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

Why is that a big deal? "oh no you made a noise with the weights?? get the gently caress out!"

It's such a weird thing that everyone tries to be very polite about weight lifting. Like today my last working set was a 365lb deadlift. There was no way I can pull that for reps without sounding like a massive bowel movement is happening.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This past week I've discovered how awesome/bad power cleans are. That should help my speed off the floor for deadlift.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Basically don't let your eyes wander because your head will follow and that could lead to having your cg roll forward.

I use a piece of tape to focus at when I squat in front of a mirror. It helps.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Fat dependant wife, compression shorts, kinesio tape, and a sweet pink knee brace. Sharp look for the gym.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

Yo what are some good ways to keep track of calories/get into the swing of doing that?

Obviously, I need to get a scale but like...gear, tricks to get into the habit etc.

If you're talking about food logs myfitnesspal.com is pretty good. For logging weightlifting/cardio, I use a small notebook and then log poo poo on fitocracy.com.

Keeping a notebook of workouts triggers something in your brain to actually commit to it just a bit more. I can say that in the past 7 months I've kept one that I haven't missed a workout or haven't done most, if not all, of the poo poo I had planned to for that day.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Internet Wizard posted:

I figure at least one bro in here will have useful advice in here for me.

I'm aiming to get a NROTC (marine option) scholarship next fall, but right now my PFT score is just sad. I'm decent enough at the crunches, and shouldn't have an issue getting them close to 100 by next year. The worst thing is the pull-ups, though. I can get like 3 or 4 in a set before I have to start cheating to get any more reps in.

I've already got a dedicated back day where I do 3 or 4 sets of as many reps possible of pull-ups, and also do 3x10 lat pulldowns (at around 75lbs. for these with good form). I've also started throwing in pull-ups on my other gym days too, but usually only one or two sets.

Does this seem like a good plan, just keep working at it, or is there something you guys would recommend changing/adding? I'd get a pull-up bar for my place and do them randomly throughout the day, but there isn't really anywhere for me to put it.

Also I'm 5'8ish", 165lbs so I'm not a big fatbody or anything.

You don't have a door in your place? I keep one of those bars that hangs from a door frame. Like Veins said, the best way to get good at pull ups it to do more pull ups. Pick a number that's within reach and do that many in an allotted period. For me, I use 50 reps for every workout session. So that means in any given week I'm doing 150-200. When you can bag your target number in a day several times a week then add another 10 reps to it. Increase as such. Do variations of grip, dangle weights from your waist, whatever. Just don't neglect taking a rest day because while the upper back is hard to overtrain, pull ups can loving smoke you.

Stretch out your lats/upper back, eat more, sleep more.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ashmole posted:

I'm doing it anyway because I've been telling him that it's not a good idea to do deadlifts twice a week every week (we've had injuries! surprise!).

Uh since when? Don't blame a lift for somebody's poor technique.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Lil bastard looks like he's about to die on the pull up bar.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

smertrioslol posted:

We could only be so lucky.

I started using fitocracy, and as goofy as it is, I kind of like it. Keeps me honest actually logging stuff.

Ya fitocracy is pretty great. I log all of my poo poo on there plus a little notebook that stays in my gym bag.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
let's share fitocracies!!!! I'm bird_law on there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

xwonderboyx posted:

I'm xwonderboyx! Nice to meet you.

You do the same thing I do where most of the people who you follow are attractive girls.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

xwonderboyx posted:

Nothing wrong with that. Just don't tell my wife :ohdear:

bro pact.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

xwonderboyx posted:

I just barely hit 4. I used to be able to do 8. Time to get stronger/lose a bit of weight.

You gotta do pull ups to get better at pull ups. They're a real bitch to get decent at and stay there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

DoktorLoken posted:

What about doing lateral pulldowns on a machine after we do our pathetic 4-6 pullups?

This is my opinion--I don't think they're worth a poo poo. You wanna replicate the motion of the pull-up as close as you can to improve it i.e. do weight-assisted but keep it minimal. Make a goal to do 1-2 more every week to a total number. Once you can bang out 10 good ones, add a 10lb plate till you can do 10. Add some more weight or do a body weight set after. Just keep poo poo like lat pull downs out of the equation entirely but if you must do something do weight-assisted pull ups.

What I've told people that seems to help is pick a number like 50 pull ups. Give yourself 20 minutes to do them. Next week make cut it down a few minutes and keep that going or maybe 50 was too easy in 20 so add another. Whatever you do, the goal is to do more pull ups to get better at pull ups.

What has worked best for me was using weight in either in sets of 10 or 5. Once I was able to knock out 50 in 5x10 then I just moved up to doing more with a combination of weight on a lower amount of reps or no weight for a higher amount.

bloops fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 8, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kaliber posted:

I don't know. I never do pull ups and just do wide arm lat pull downs, close arm lat pull ups, reverse grip lat pull downs and when I had a pull up competition with a few marines I did about 17. And they said the reason why I smoked myself at 17 was because I went too slow. So lat pull downs does help.

Who's to say that if you switched to a routine that included variations of pulls up, weighted and with varying grips, that you couldn't blow past 17 in a few weeks time? There's just no magic formula for this kind of thing. It's been my experience and what I've seen with most others is that to net bigger gains, you gotta hit that lift or exercise hard.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would add that finding a reason to do pull ups helps too. I treat them as an accessory for deadlifting mainly. It's not a thing in the USAF for any sort of PT standard or whatever so there isn't an incentive to keep them up. I just find that they hit my upper back like no other which in turn helps me get the bar to a locked out position.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ashmole posted:

Crossfit is fine for bodyweight or low weight exercises. You can find hundreds of videos of crossfit "trainers" encouraging clients to go for speed over form.

There was a video posted in W&W that showed these women absolutely failing at powercleans. It was hilarious.

They were doing continental cleans. lovely ones but yea.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Crossfit is cool if it gets someone new to lifting weights or not wanting to be out of shape any more into something like powerlifting, oly, or bodybuilding. The dudes who are hard core into it that pay money for their CF gyms with huge Delta Force bros murals and grow beards for CF pride whatever are idiots and should be laughed at.

bloops fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 9, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

vacation in kabul posted:

I'm starting to get stretch marks where my biceps, delts, and pecs meet near the armpit. Mostly on my biceps. Is there any way for me to stop from having my alabaster skin ruined? I really don't want to stop my swoleness from getting swollier.

Coconut oil supposedly works for that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

375 deadlift! So close to 400. I try again in 4 weeks.

Keep at it dude.

I had a poo poo day where after pulling 380 lb fairly easy, I literally could not put down any more power for a 405 lb attempt. The bar barely jostled off the floor. Dropping to 285 lb for some accessory work felt the exact same way. All I could figure was that doing squat heavy singles on Tuesday fried me pretty good. So yea, heavy singles should be done sparingly over the month.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

genderstomper58 posted:

As a heavy single I'm pretty angry at that remark

:cheeky:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I have a weight lifting spreadsheet based on Jamie Lewis' powerlifting routine if anyone is interested.

***crossfitters need not apply***

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

Doing poo poo other than bench is good for making your chest bigger.

Ya if you wanna get a bigger chest, go talk to some bodybuilders. Powerlifting isn't very ideal for getting sick pecs.

Anyhow, here's the spreadsheet. Fill in your 1RM then add 10lb to squat/DL, 5lb to bench/OHP every month when done with the month. Every 2-3 months or so, I'll go for new 1RM's for an update. All weights to the right are from your 90% est 1RM. For accessory work, I do poo poo that is tailored to the lift like deadlift will be 5x5 of bent over rows, shrugs, or wide grip pull ups but before those a 3-5x5 at 60% of my est 1RM for volume. Or you could do whatever for the weights. Pick something that isn't going to smoke you for 3 to 5 sets of 5 reps For the actual working sets, I'll do the sets x reps listed and maybe do a few more at a higher weight if I feel good that day.

The spreadsheet itself is like 90% good with how the numbers are generated, but feel free to add 5-10lb where you see fit for the sets. Sets in the 3-5 range work best for me so that's why this sheet is the way it is. Staggered days help to be really fresh for heavy lifting days.

http://rapidshare.com/files/1745847199/working%20routine.xls

For a more exact version of what I'm doing, go read Jamie Lewis' e-book. http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/09/destroy-opposition.html?zx=3212609a0675afc0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What have you been doing as a routine?