Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Im getting an ALICE pack for rucking pretty soon. Are there any simple add-ons that can make life with it easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Grampybone posted:

If you just want to do weighted marches you can get an ALICE frame with a plate holder and skip bothering with finding stuff to pack your ruck with. Also if you are doing it to train for something, you might want to find the pack the something uses because I don't think there's a single military course that uses or even allows ALICE packs anymore.

SFAS

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Grampybone posted:

I think iceslice was saying they use the MOLLE rucks there, so if you want to train for that, you should just grab one of those and throw a couple sand bags in there. I don't know anything first hand about SFAS though.

Oh really? I had read practically everywhere that they were using Large alice rucks. Maybe the information was dated.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

TheUnhorse posted:

Are there any legit BUD/S or SFAS prep. guides out there on the internet that aren't hidden behind a pay wall or some other bullshit?

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/sf/Documents/Preparing%20for%20SFRE%20and%20SFAS.pdf

BUD/s prep, I dunno. Totally different animal than SFAS.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Christoff posted:

I don't get the middle part of that bar. You should NEVER squat with any kind of paddding/support. Or any kind of machine. Always free weight barbell.

gently caress off, the safety squat bar (that thing) is a great bar!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

I remember reading W&W a long time ago and someone made fun of deathy for having chicken legs and said something about never being able to deadlift big weight. Its stuck in my head

I don't think that's accurate. My legs are disproportionally big to the rest of me!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Finished the GoRuck challenge yesterday. 20 miles through San Diego, wet and sandy at 4 different locations. A 1200lbs log. Indian runs the entire time (literally, the entire time we were moving). Carrying a litter for a few miles. gently caress if I'm ever going to do that again!

NOW I COME BACK AND THE FORUMS LOOK ALL WEIRD!!! WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?!?!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

xwonderboyx posted:

Who was your cadre? I've done two and I have 3 more in the next few months. poo poo is addicting.

Mike. Former force guy and combat controller.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

DoktorLoken posted:

What's the difficulty level? Sounds like an interesting challenge and fun way to get some PT in.

I've got an AAR I'm writing up if you wanna read it.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
YO JOE!!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499262&pagenumber=4#post411116886

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I got one of the OFFICIAL GORUCK GR1 bags and regret it.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
It's nice as a general backpack, but no chest strap and no hip belt really limits it.

I know, I know :smith:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

ahahahah what a ripoff. You paid $400 for a $50 PX daypack.

This pack is $400 and worth every penny.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/assault-patrol-packs/satl-assault-pack

Where are you getting 400$ from? The GR1 is 300$ normally but they take 30% off if you buy it when you register for a challenge. Still wasn't worth 200$, though. I will say that, internally, its really well designed and protects your back from getting roughed up. The straps are okay. Everything else is fine.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

My bad, I just assumed mokers made up number was accurate. $200 for that is still outrageous.

I agree with you totally. Half of that would be a good price. But that's what you get for something thats MADE IN AMERICA by REAL AMERICAN VETERANS who proudly make AMERICAN products. Its not Skilcraft but these people may be blind.

I did like the rigid walls and back support. It kept everything from shifting around inside when we had to run (We did indian runs the entire way after we dropped off our log).

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I had a small tear in the bottom as a result of being dragged across a beach and onto pavement, but otherwise its still holding up nicely.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Moker-kun.....:negative:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

faddypaddy posted:

Not only is Crossfit gay, but all of the overhead pushing mixed with the time component which leads to severely degraded form and leads to SLAP tears. Which will pretty much end your career.

This plus kipping pullups gave me two shoulder impingements in 2009. Crossfit is okay IN MODERATION but a lot of the stuff needs significant retooling.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Or he could just have long arms. Also, DLs are really easy to cheat on.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The Notes app

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

I don't really get the point of Fitocracy. I lift weights because I like lifting weights(and so I can get super saiyan swole and powerfuck disgusting sluts), not to make some arbitrary meaningless number go up.

What functionality does fitocracy have that a notebook and excel doesn't?

It allows nerds to make fitness into an MMO

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ashmole posted:

I consistently get in the high 80's to 90's on sit-ups. The only ab exercise I do is the captain's chair I believe it's called. You get on the dips station and raise your legs.

Im gonna try this. I've been doing the military athlete APFT program, and it's take on situps is "DO A LOT OF SITUPS.....NEXT DAY DO SOME MORE!!!". This should be interesting.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

The AGRs in my unit did one and said it was a good time, but I don't know if it was a $140 and getting electrocuted good time.

If you register early enough its only like 110$. I did one about 3 weeks ago with some folks and it was really fun. Getting shocked sucked rear end in a top hat, but everything else was fun.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

heyfresh888 posted:

Yeah, the 19th group that is in this state.

Yeah, see you in May

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Kaliber posted:

The kipping pullup has many benefits over the dead hang/strict pullup.

It explodes your shoulder far quicker.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

That's an actual old-timey lift known as the continental clean. It's still being performed in the most awful way imaginable.

Yeah. The continental clean is supposed to be cleaned up to your gut/belt, and then to the rack position. If you don't have a gut or belt, you have to lean way back like an idiot to get it.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Talk about your brain problems

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

heyfresh888 posted:

I've attended a pre-selection course while I was stationed at Bragg on my first active duty enlistment but my selection date was canceled due to deployment. I feel pretty confident about the SFRE, plus I have some other things going for me.

Hey man, how did you end up doing?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Tried my first 12 miler yesterday. Finished in 2:33 with a 56lbs pack sans water. Pretty stoked, but today everything hurts!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

elite_garbage_man posted:

I present the apparatus of pain:

Good lord

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
poo poo. Now that I know I can smash the 12 mile time, I'mma do some ruck intervals so that I can get faster and smash the time while totally exhausted.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Ruck interval report (56lb ruck, no water)

1st mile: 9:24
Rest 8 minutes
2nd mile: 9:09
Rest 8 minutes
3rd mile: 9:05
Walk home

That was pretty quick and felt good.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
To be fair, it was on a track and I had no water, so my pack was probably at least 5lbs lighter than yours. Also, don't forget that you can actually pass the run :negative:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

elite_garbage_man posted:

didn't do poo poo last week because I was bloging on live journal about how sad I was that the indoc got cancelled.

Me too but it was myspace. Nobody ever goes there so I feel it's safe.

Did a mile in 6:16. Sw8

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Ruck intervals

2 mi: 20:45 (10 min rest)
1 mi: 10:03

Was gonna do another mile but got hungry. Plus dogs kept barking at me.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

Why are you still training for SFAS if you're going to Columbia?

I'm deferring Columbia until next year to at least get one shot at selection with the guard. CU has an option that allows you to defer admission for up to 5 years should you decide to pursue military service. That way, should I mess up somewhere along the way, I've always got a great school to fall back on.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

Most schools allow you to defer. I just don't see what the point is.

SF is something I've been wanting to do for a while. Since it's with a guard company, if I make it through training and get tabbed I can do that thing and still attend a top-notch school. Other than dying or being horribly injured, there really are no downsides.

I know it's moto or whatever

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 3, 2013

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

Have you spoken with the detachment you're trying out with yet? Because guard SF units tend to deploy/go TDY with about the same frequency as their active duty counterparts, which could be pretty disruptive when it comes to your schooling.

This particular company hasn't deployed as a company since 2007 or so. You're right, it is something that I'll have to discuss with them. In all likelihood it'd probably be best if I did a deployment with them before asking for some time for schooling, but we'll see. Gotta get through the training, first.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
ADAPT AND OVERCOME DEVILDOG

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Did some intervals today. Speed was approximately a 6min/mile

600 to track
100x8
800x2
800x4
600 back home

Left calf is hurting pretty badly. Im probably gonna lay off running for a week and stick to bodyweight stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Breanna Manning posted:

YOU'RE ON PROFILE AGAIN? YOU loving SHITBAG.

A broken heart takes a long time to heal :smith: