Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

jackpot posted:

Here's one I'm excited about - my avocado. I'm growin' it old school, the way my third grade teacher taught me. This one is kind of my hero, at 365 years old. Bonus: looks like :gizz:

Oh man, I put an avocado stone on to sprout yesterday, but I didn't know you could bonsai them! I really want to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I have a question about sprouting an avocado stone. I was hoping to grow an avocado bonsai from seed, and have had the stone of a Hass half soaking in water (changed regularly) since October. A couple of weeks ago I went to pick it up and it split at the top and the bottom and I could see a little root nub. I left it in the water and since then it doesn't seem to have made any more progress. Could this be because my house is pretty cold? It's usually around 10-14c in here. Is this ever going to sprout?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

The Door Frame posted:

Avocado trees are a pain in the dick unless you're really careful with them. My dad is used to run the green house at the local high school and has the greenest thumb of any person I've ever seen and he's only been able to get 2 to grow into actual trees from the seed over the course of a decade

Oh :saddowns:

I better take the advice of my flatmate then and "throw that gross thing out". Thanks for the info.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

jackpot posted:

Goddamn avocado plants. I took a pit and did it just like they taught me in elementary school - toothpicks, water, etc, and after months of thinking it was going to rot to pieces, it sprouted - like crazy. Went from nothing to six inches high within a few weeks, big leaves growing out the top of it. Then I did what all the instruction sites tell you to do - I pinched off the top leaves, to encourage it to grow more before potting it.

And there it has sat, for two months now, no growth whatsoever since the day I pinched the leaves. I'm sure it's dead, but I've potted it just in case there's a miracle a'brewin'.

Well, I ignored my flatmate's pleas to throw mine out and as of last week there has been root growth! There's a little one just poking out of the bottom. I'm excited to see if it keeps growing or just gets all stubborn or dies or whatever. We shall see.

Also, and I know this isn't a bonsai but a houseplant, I just realised it's been about 3 months since I dragged home a huge piece of yucca I found on the street and shoved it in a bucket of dirt. All but the top leaves are dead and I've no idea if it's grown a root or what. Top leaves have some browning at the end, but they haven't browned anything like as fast as the lower ones all did so I'm holding onto some hope here.

I'm poor, I can only afford free houseplants or ones grown from garbage.