Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I wanted a little something to have on my office desk, so I ordered a baby jade from Brussel's Bonsai (there's nowhere near me to buy from). I'm so excited!

Also, I was doing a little googling and found this piece, Goshin, by John Naka. It seemed pretty amazing to me.

It's almost like towers going up through clouds or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I love the look of deadwood on bonsai (like on the tallest trunk of Goshin above), but am I right in assuming it's very difficult to do? And more difficult to do well?

I guess I should work on just keeping a plant alive first. My dwarf jade should be coming today. I've gotten a small handful of eBooks to read, but Mr. Soop, if you were to give your top 5 bonsai tips, what would they be?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My dwarf jade arrived! Brussel's packs it surprisingly well, although I've never seen a plant packed in packing peanuts before :downs:

edit-- pretty :)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 16, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I did a little bit of pruning today, since the soil had the night to dry out (it was relatively dry when I got it yesterday but still a bit of residual moisture). Thought I'd give it a starting shape as sort of a "getting to know you" exercise. I like your advice about just jumping in - pruning is something I was pretty scared to do since I didn't want scars and knots and death and decay on my tree. But you know what? Those things are part of life and add to the character of the tree.

Is it silly that just owning this tree and learning about it and contemplating it has been very reflective and introspective about me? I guess that's sort of the point of bonsai, if not part of a lot of Japanese arts.

Compare with the above picture -

There was a lower branch that I cut with a shallow concave "v" shape into the trunk. I think I still left a good amount, and now I'll give it some water to recuperate.

Also, I do think I'm going to go with a broom style, since all the branches are already at the very top.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Whoa NC dudes out of nowhere! I'm in Greensboro/Winston, what about you guys?