Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Bonsai Gewns! I've been growing trees in pots and poo poo in Virginia, but I just moved to Bern, Switzerland (hardiness ~6 where I am). Bought some poo poo from Ikea/Migros. Here's my haul:

Ficus Microcarpa SON. This thing's a real turd. But I had one in the US. I liked it because you can take all kinds of clippings from it. Which is my plan for this one. Honestly, something cool might happen when it fleshes out, but we won't be able to tell for a while.

AWWWWW YISSS. Ficus Benjamina. My plan for this guy is to get it huge. And also take clippings from it. It probably won't be as easy as the microcarpa, but I've seen amazing things from them online. This has two trunks. It isn't clear and I am probably going to do something about it. Would love some advice here, can provide closeups if it's not evident.

I think I got this from Ikea. I'm p-sure that this is a Sawara cypress (chamaecyparis pisifera). But I could definitely use a discount double check on it. Right now it's inside, but I wanted to double check whether or not I should have it outside (if it's the species I've identified it as, then yuh, I want it outside). On top of that:

There are two things I would like to draw your attention to here:

1) There are, like, 6 major branches coming right off of the base. Obviously this bad boy was meant for a little Christmas tree. Can I use these for clippings? From what I've heard, this is a pretty finicky plant for pinching/pruning.

2) There is white stuff everywhere. Bern's water is so loving hard. At first I thought it was deposits. But this seems to be some sort of growth or something. So this is a 2 parter. Should I invest in some sort of water softener? And, is that white stuff mineral deposits or is it some fungus. I've just been turning it over on itself whenever it gets really bad.

This is a long post. Thank you for getting to this point. These guys obviously need to be repotted. When is best for that? Microcarpa, I'm pretty sure is whenever. I was going to give the Benjamina some time to settle in. Right now it's inside with some pretty good light (near a South facing window). But it will be outside (again, facing South) in the late Spring. Unless you can convince me not to do it. When should I repot it? Once I know the cypress, then I can get a better idea. I'm assuming the lighter stuff is new growth. Should I pinch it? Or should I let it achieve its dreams uninhibited?

Thanks in advance. I've learned so much through this thread already.

~edit= tables
also that white thing in the first picture is a skull eraser

bollig fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Mr. Soop posted:

@bollig: To answer your first question, it's worth a shot to go ahead and try and root any cuttings you make. False cypress are something I haven't done before, but it's worth a shot seeing as how any cuttings you make will be thrown away anyway. Also, I did some research into it and you should keep it outdoors. As for your second question, hard water is okay for it. The white deposits are most likely stains caused by lime deposits from the water, and they're harmless. If it might be a fungus though, you can kill it easily by getting a Q-tip, dipping it in rubbing alcohol, then rubbing the dipped end on the fungus. It will kill it without harming the rest of your plant.

As for your Ficus and other questions, you can repot either Ficus anytime you want, although the upcoming spring months will be the best time for it. Ideally, you should let the Microcarpa grow out more in order to match the very large root base of it over time, and for the Benjamina you can pinch leaves on it if it hasn't really dropped many after you got it. Hope that info helps!

It does help. One thing I've heard, for fungi is to pour cooled chamomile tea on it. The Cypress is outside, poor little fella. I can't tell if it's water hardness or fungus at this point. Time will tell. That's for the response.

Yeah I spend a bunch of time looking at that microcarpa and it actually has a pretty decent leader going right now. Honestly, I just plan on using it for cuttings, but it will take a while for it to catch up to itself.

Do you have any thoughts on the benjamina's two trunks? I will take a better picture this afternoon. But there are actually two plants in there, I think. Can I seperate them?

bollig fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 2, 2013

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Mr. Soop posted:

Yes, actually. So long as they aren't fusing together as they grow or are part of the same root system, you can separate them and have them be two separate trees. Ficus in general are pretty resilient like that, and Ficus Benjamina more so.

Cool thanks. I'm going to repot it in the next couple weeks. If they are different plants then the 'it' will become a 'they'.