Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

lines posted:

My character who has this is a Genetor so I'm not sure what the Biologis equivalent is.

Blessed be the Omnissiah, for the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. Let the pee stored in His balls rain down upon us and strengthen us against Error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Preechr posted:

Blessed be the Omnissiah, for the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. Let the pee stored in His balls rain down upon us and strengthen us against Error.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Preechr posted:

Does it have any surviving crew, and does your party know a Stryxis?

Yes and no.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Well, that’s unfortunate!
In all seriousness, maybe 3-5pf plus a few rolls on the random treasure generator from Stars of Inequity, locked to xenos origin?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Arglebargle III posted:

So how much profit factor would you say looting a mostly-intact Drukhari raider should be worth? It's quite a bit of spiky xenotech and no pesky costs associated with refurbishing the hulk.

Two if they're just chopping it up, four if they can find someone to buy it. A xenos weapon or pet of their choosing. This is prime rescued one of those psychic cats territory.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Two if they're just chopping it up, four if they can find someone to buy it. A xenos weapon or pet of their choosing. This is prime rescued one of those psychic cats territory.
Surely the Magos Biologus can help heal this poor injured toad-creature!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Surely the Magos Biologus can help heal this poor injured toad-creature!

Not just heal it. We can make it better.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I talked to some friends, we might actually give a table RPG a try, I'm thinking of getting the starter set for Wrath and glory to dip our toes into this thing, take note, I am very much a beginner into the world of D&D style experiences and games, and generally I'll be the DM for this, and I'm a big fat idiot, do you recommend Wrath and Glory? this starter set seems like a good deal at $40:-

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/wrath-glory-starter-set-2024

or is this the trick they do where the actual rules and stuff you need is in the core rules book and this doesnt cover the bases you need to play the game or DM a campaign?

From what I'm reading online, Imperium Maledictum seems like it's infinitely more complex, and the barrier of entry cost-wise is higher, I dunno, any advice?

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Al-Saqr posted:

I talked to some friends, we might actually give a table RPG a try, I'm thinking of getting the starter set for Wrath and glory to dip our toes into this thing, take note, I am very much a beginner into the world of D&D style experiences and games, and generally I'll be the DM for this, and I'm a big fat idiot, do you recommend Wrath and Glory? this starter set seems like a good deal at $40:-

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/wrath-glory-starter-set-2024

or is this the trick they do where the actual rules and stuff you need is in the core rules book and this doesnt cover the bases you need to play the game or DM a campaign?

From what I'm reading online, Imperium Maledictum seems like it's infinitely more complex, and the barrier of entry cost-wise is higher, I dunno, any advice?

So our regular TTRPG group has just started a W&G campaign and it's a great system. The starter set doesn't have the core rulebook, and you'll definitely want one or two of those. You can use any DM screen, but the starter set one is nice. You can use any D6s, and I'm biased as our group makes our own characters instead of pre-gen ones. so I've found that unless you really want the included adventure and DM screen, you're better off spending your money on other kits instead.

my recommendations would be...

1-2x of the Core Rulebook (for the rules obviously)
1x Redacted Records (adds a lot of options)
1x Litanies of the lost (4 fantastic adventures that you can run through at tier 1-2)

If you're still feeling spendy, only then would I consider the starter set.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Mjolnerd posted:

So our regular TTRPG group has just started a W&G campaign and it's a great system. The starter set doesn't have the core rulebook, and you'll definitely want one or two of those. You can use any DM screen, but the starter set one is nice. You can use any D6s, and I'm biased as our group makes our own characters instead of pre-gen ones. so I've found that unless you really want the included adventure and DM screen, you're better off spending your money on other kits instead.

my recommendations would be...

1-2x of the Core Rulebook (for the rules obviously)
1x Redacted Records (adds a lot of options)
1x Litanies of the lost (4 fantastic adventures that you can run through at tier 1-2)

If you're still feeling spendy, only then would I consider the starter set.

Thanks man.

Why would you need more than one copy of the core rules?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

So the players and the GM aren’t fighting over the same book?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Al-Saqr posted:

There's a great deal less complexity in IM compared to the past d100 systems, fwiw. It's probably too new to get a good deal on it though. There's a $5 PDF adventure module called Chemical Burn to get you through the first few sessions. The starter set is past due with no release date in sight.

W&G is good for fast paced action games with powerful characters, while IM focuses on more grounded investigation-oriented adventures, if that helps you choose.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Preechr posted:

So the players and the GM aren’t fighting over the same book?

That's a bingo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

how often do the other players need to look at the rulebook? theres no datasheet cards or something like that? if I get a DM screen will that suffice while they have the main book?

I suppose I could get a hardcopy, then download the PDF that comes with it to my iPad and let the players have the actual book. Seems to be sold out though so I'll look around and see.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Al-Saqr posted:

how often do the other players need to look at the rulebook? theres no datasheet cards or something like that? if I get a DM screen will that suffice while they have the main book?

I suppose I could get a hardcopy, then download the PDF that comes with it to my iPad and let the players have the actual book. Seems to be sold out though so I'll look around and see.

It’s an all depends situation. Some groups check the rules regularly, some have them down enough that they check very few times.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wow the wrath and glory game must be super successful the printed core rules book is completely and utterly sold out everywhere!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No they had some terrible misprints and recalls. It's hard to find because they're very bad at their jobs.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

No they had some terrible misprints and recalls. It's hard to find because they're very bad at their jobs.

Ah ok so i guess in a few months they'll re-release fresh copies.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I would recommend Maledictum Imperium because it is taking the lessons they learned from their excellent WFRP 4th edition and improved upon it. Very excited to see how further books expand it, but the corebook has a lot to work with. The focus on a web of relationships between factions is really interesting.

I think the scale it is operating at is more interesting too. A few regular guys doing stuff for a patron like an Inquisitor or a government official or a gang boss, vs big crazy action Space Marine with weak friends. WanG is fun if simple action is what you are looking for though. Good enough at least.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like both Wrath and Glory and Imperium Maledictum for different purposes.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Al-Saqr posted:

Ah ok so i guess in a few months they'll re-release fresh copies.

you can buy them as PDFs from cubicle7 or you know...

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Mjolnerd posted:

you can buy them as PDFs from cubicle7 or you know...

ok I nabbed myself a PDF copy of Wrath and Glory

holy moly, I never knew running a D&D campaign was so complex lol the rulebook and numbers I have to keep up with puts normal 40k to shame! this rulebook is huge!

are there any quick-start or guides for complete morons like me to learn how to start a game and not get lost in all these numbers?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Al-Saqr posted:

holy moly, I never knew running a D&D campaign was so complex lol the rulebook and numbers I have to keep up with puts normal 40k to shame! this rulebook is huge!

are there any quick-start or guides for complete morons like me to learn how to start a game and not get lost in all these numbers?

I don't know W&G, but having run more complicated systems: you can vibe a lot more than you think you can.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Yeah, it's not like a wargame where everything is (in theory) carefully balanced and competitive, and if you gently caress up a rule you might 'cheat' yourself a victory. RPGs are collaborative, and a lot more flexible - the goal is to tell a fun story. Realised you forgot the Ork had armour last turn? Don't try to reverse engineer what damage they should've taken, just start applying it this turn and have a couple of extra grots arrive as reinforcements if you think the fight's looking too easy.

Also not played W&G, but realistically most of the rules in every system are optional and you'll only use the ones you're interested in. Some you can delegate entirely to players, e.g. the psychic rules if you don't run NPC psykers. Some can just be handled narratively, e.g. vehicles - the Chimera delivers the party to the front lines then drives off to fight 'off-camera'. Some you can just ignore unless the players start taking the piss, or are especially interested in them, e.g. encumbrance, supplies, navigation...

The key skill in GMing is learning when the players (and you) are interested enough to do stuff in detail, when it's easier to just reduce the crunch to a single roll ("yeah just roll Drive [Walker] to see if you can get the Sentinel through the woods in time"), and when to not bother with the rules at all because there's no interesting outcome on a failure. That's something you mostly pick up through play.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Al-Saqr posted:

everything is D6s

Every stat is a dice pool (how many D6s to roll)

1 of those dice is your 'Wrath Dice' (replace one, don't add one)

Every 4+ is a success

6s count as 2 success!

a 6 on your 'Wrath Dice' is a Critical Success! (Roll on a table for something exciting to happen) (and you earn a Glory token)

a 1 on your 'Wrath Dice is a Critical Fail! (Roll on a table for something a complication) If you still have enough successes, the complication happens after you do the thing

Average difficulty for most things is 3

If you can get this down, everything else will fall into place

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also all RPG books like this are stuffed full of reference material that you do not need to memorize or learn. Like you don't need to read what every weapon does or even how every kind of character works, you'll just be working on the core operating rules of the game, and then engage with sets of sub-rules as needed: if one player makes a character with certain features, you'll want to know at a basic level more or less how those specific features work. But even then, you'll lean on your players to understand their own characters' mechanics and they can tell you poo poo, like "my character gets to do X here, because of Y feature, and I roll 2d6+3" and you just believe them and keep playing, you didn't need to have that rule memorized.

Assume that in your first few game sessions you'll get several things wrong, and also need to sometimes stop and look something up. You can allow yourself a minute or two to find something if you're pretty sure you know where to find it; but don't spend 5+ minutes trying to find a rule, just make a note, have the game progress in a way that makes sense to you and the players, and then look up the actual rule after your game sessions so you'll know what to do next time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thought this thread might enjoy this MSpaint Roll20 map twitter crossover shitpost

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Something I wrote for a character intro in a rogue trader adjacent game

"Eternal Master, strong to keep
Whose choir hath bound daemonic freak
Who binds the planets and the stars
with voidcraft manned by exemplars
Oh, hear us cry in dark vacuum
Let xenos in Thy flames consume!"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I know it's not the point of the picture, but I appreciate how all of the Command Facilities are the most easily destroyed parts of the ship - the stuff that just juts out beyond the armored prow.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Truth in fiction -- the command staff on real dreadnoughts rarely used the armored conning towers unless they were crawling there wounded while the ship was exploding around them. Shells landing in the superstructure could and did kill the entire senior staff.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
WH40k logic: The command staff just need to survive long enough to give the order to fight the enemy. The parts of the ship that does the actual fighting is what needs protection.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GONE, EMPEROR OF MAN
AND RISE THE DAEMON ETRIGAN

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://cubicle7games.com/warhammer-40-000-wrath-glory-vow-of-absolution

Wrath & Glory, Vow of Absolution is up for pre-order.

quote:

3 New Key Locations of the Absolvers Chapter
A detailed look at the history and lore of the Absolvers Chapter
New Astartes focused Talents
Access to the Armoury of the Absolvers - Introducing new Wargear and Equipment
Dedicated Psychic Powers and Litanies of Battle for Librarians and Chaplains
The introduction of Tier 5 Astartes Archetypes to Wrath & Glory
New Patrons to introduce to your games.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I hear often that Wrath and Glory's ascension system makes it so ascended characters are so much better than regular characters that the math breaks down (i.e. an ascended tier 3 guardsman has better stats and gear than a regular tier 3 tactical marine). How true has that been for people running it? Is there any fix you've found if so?

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I hear often that Wrath and Glory's ascension system makes it so ascended characters are so much better than regular characters that the math breaks down (i.e. an ascended tier 3 guardsman has better stats and gear than a regular tier 3 tactical marine). How true has that been for people running it? Is there any fix you've found if so?

So if you were to roll a brand new tier 2 archetype, you start with 200xp to pay for it. The cost of the archetype is exactly the cost of the attributes + skills and 10xp for the archetype ability. All of the gear is free.

When you ascend from a tier 1 archetype to a tier 2 archetype, you start with the 100xp which you spend the exact same way, buy your archetype and get the archetype ability + all of your attributes and and skills. Over the course of your sessions you'll accumulate wealth (yay), xp (yay) and corruption (uh oh) once you've accumulated 80xp, you'll be rank 3 and you can choose to ascend. There is NO additional cost when you choose a new tier 2 archetype, you just choose the new archetype and the only requirement is that you meet the attribute and skill floor of that Archetype as if you were just buying it straight at tier 2. All of the gear is free and you keep everything you already had, and you now have 2 archetype abilities even though you only "paid" for 1

If you were to start straight at tier 2, you'd miss out on a second archetype ability and any tier 1 gear (which you probably won't really use anymore anyway).

So to answer your question. I don't believe ascended characters are that much better. In any TTRPG campaign, obviously you're going to grow in power and it will be up to the DM to keep the challenge level to what everyone is happy with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Slashrat posted:

WH40k logic: The command staff just need to survive long enough to give the order to fight the enemy. The parts of the ship that does the actual fighting is what needs protection.

Really it's a holdover from naval architecture where you need to be high up to see but you can't armor spaces high above the deck due to stability.