Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
Just coming here to talk about that Deathwatch game I posted about earlier. Warning, this has kinda of turned into a wall of text. I was originally going to summarize, but the two games were kind of ridiculous and we had a hell of a time playing in it.

TL;DR, Deathwatch = :black101: + power gaming at it's finest - haven't had more broken PC's since Mage.

First, lemme break down the Kill Team: 2 Ultramarines (a Tactical, who is the acting squad leader, and a Devestator), a Storm Warden Librarian (whom I gave extra experience too because he had played a poo poo load of Inquisitor with me back in the day and kinda knew how the systems worked, plus the others weren't really on the same level broham-wise, so it helped to have someone to look to for "knowledge"), a Space Wolf Assault, and a Blood Angels Apothecary/ Sanguinary Priest. The Librarian was a big 40k like me back in the day, and aside from my brother who is an avid 40k player now, everyone else only knew about 40k from Dawn of War. They are also primarily video gamers and haven't really discovered PnP Yin to the Console Yang, so to speak.

So their first mission starts out with them being assigned a search and rescue/assault in the Jericho Reach; there was a forge world that suddenly stopped communicating with the rest of the Imperium, which just so happens to stable a handful of Titans.The Inquisition wants the Kill Team to investigate, as there was some evidence of xenos in preliminary intelligence. Primary objective, secure the Forge World's stockpile of Titans and Restore Communication with the Imperium. The Inquisitor is pretty vague and not very forthcoming with information or how he came across it, but the team is new and eager, so they kinda pass it off as 'Inquisitor stuff :v:', say 'gently caress yeah :black101:', and head out. They are accompanied by a Dreadnought (Goremann the Elder, some Crimson Fists Dreadnought that's old as poo poo and want's to see some action) and a Techmarine (because we have a friend who isn't totally convinced to play, and he was thinking about Techmarine).

Their first gently caress up was they didn't buy a transport with their requisition they got, so they ended up getting shuttled to the planet in a Thunderhawk, which promptly left them to walk 30 kilometers among some oddly clean and well kept, if totally empty streets. This did not phase any of them, not even the Librarian with Divination and Augur. When they finally find transport, it's in the form of a Rhino that's been seriously damaged, and had the top of it taken clean off by something big and sharp. It also had large caliber bullet holes in the side of it, but not bolter rounds. The whole team found evidence of not just Orks, but Tyranids everywhere. The Devestator notices a hole about 10cm in diameter that was a clean cut all the way through an Arbites Rhino laying in the road, with a dead crew inside. Knowing full well most weapons don't do this, when he critically fails his role to ascertain the attacks origins, he cleverly tells his teammates, "My dick, duh,:smug:". All the while, they are being spotted by a rogue Inquisitor's team that I intend to have as the major antagonists for the Kill Team, and one of the spotters places a tracer bug on the marines without them seeing (psychic concealment; Librarian fails his Psyniscience to detect it). This party is about 7 or 8 strong, I haven't really decided quite how many, but one of them has a Gauss Flayer for some reason, and it shot a Rhino full of Arbites that tried to arrest them (hence the hole the Dev found).

Their vehicle lasts about two kilometers when they pass by a major engagement between Orks and Tyranid, and while maneuvering away from said engagement they manage to run into a pair of Zoanthropes supporting the 'nids, instead of going in guns blazing and getting horribly annihilated (which was their first idea). The first game ends with the two Zoanthropes defeated, but not before they destroy the Rhino and the lower leg of their Apothecary. 90% of the damage came from the Dev; the Assault marine didn't pass a single pilot check to make his charge, and the Librarian made everyone suffer a mild earthquake when he tried to Smite one. The Apothecary was knocked out turn one, and the Tactical was the only other team member that actually managed to damage the Zoey's.

Game two starts, and they are now in a small chapel dedicated to the Omenssiah. They are patched up, and manage to find an Auspex in a wreck outside. None of them have Tech Use trained until our Librarian calls bullshit and asks for a retconn (which I already said was cool for everyone to do, because I'm not used to the system and nobody else was either, so long as it wasn't major rework). The newly stat-ed Librarian has tech use, and can now use their Auspex. Promptly fails all of the Awareness tests up until this game's major conflict. They scout out a Manufactorum, but are unsure as to whether it has any transportation. It's also 5 kilometers out of their way. The Librarian consults the Tarot with Augur, and discerns that there is in fact transportation there, but they don't know if it works or not. They also know that there are Orks, Tyranid, and an unforseen 3rd party there, one of whom can shoot "Emerald Lightning". The team makes some jokes about recreational drugs and kitchen cleaner, then heads out on a walk.

They get about 500m away from the Manufactorum when our plucky Librarians dice decide that enough was a enough, and finally passed an Awareness test. They pick up a handful of the Inquisitor's party, coming from the Manufactorum and into a building on the side of the street. Since nobody on the team manages to pass a Xenos lore check, but also miraculously all pass an Awareness check by 4 degrees of successes minimum, they all snap to and move to investigate. The Librarian and Apothecary move through the building to the top, discovering nothing. The Assault leaps to the top of the roof and finds nothing, but gets a good view of what happens next.

The Devestator reports hearing vehicles, and shortly after the Tactical concurs. Orks are coming, and they sound like a lot of them (although it was hard to tell, as the Tactical has a hatred of Orks and knows that their numbers can be misleading when it comes to vehicles on account of how much drat noise even one makes). Everyone has an 'oh poo poo, now what' moment, before rationally deciding to let someone else figure it out by rolling some dice with tactics. Set up mines, says the Storm Warden (krak grenades rigged like claymores - I wasn't sure if this was a thing or not, but I rolled with it), the Devestator made a nice planned out defensive posture, the Tactical failed the poo poo out of his role and insisted they actually go out there and greet them and ask for their surrender :wtc:(short story, they didn't do that).

So they place some mines and hole up in this building, with the Tactical and his Stalker bolter on the third floor looking out on this 6 lane causeway, Dev on the 2cd floor barricaded up and with his heavy bolter and his rocket launcher perched for easy access, and the Assault marine on the room ready to "bring His word to them, whether they wanted to hear it or not :black101:". The Lib and the Apothecary? They went spelunking through the house, and were at the back of it when they discovered that; a) the enemy contacts on the Auspex left the house through a back entrance, and b) they probably should mine this, just in case. They are not present in the fighting for the first couple rounds of combat.

The first round starts off better than they had hoped, as a squad of bikers managed to race ahead of the Ork vehicles, but managed to miss the krak grenades in waiting. The first one was popped by a Wartrakk that instantly got wrecked, while the other was popped by a truck, causing said truck to careen into the truck next to it, causing both trucks to overturn on the far side of the causeway. A buggy, a looted Leman Russ (with it's battle cannon removed and a gigantic brass cauldron put in it's place - there was a Nob taking a bath in it, and it had two big shootas bolted to the sides of it. I dunno where I got this image, but for some reason it fit the bill of ridiculous for a bunch of Bad Moons-turned-Freebooters :orks:), and a looted Predator roll into view. Krak missile to the cauldron of the LR, a stalker bolt to the ork's head poking out of the Predator, and the Assault sweeps down off the roof and in front of the Pread', busting out the main windshield and placing his hand flamer inside and pulling the trigger :flame:. The flamer burns up all of the inhabitants of the tank, save a grot who is working the pedals and a grot hanging onto the firing mechanism for the Autocannon. It trundles forward a few feet before the halon systems activate and flood the tank with gas, causing it to roll to a halt.

The Bikes turn around and return fire, putting suppression fire on the building the missle came out of, while the Dev fires a shot at the Buggy after the Tactical snipes out it's gunner. The boys in the trucks are getting out of the wreckage and forming up a horde, while the LR pivots to face the building and rakes it with Heavy Bolter fire. Tactical takes a potshot at the boys emerging from the trucks, and instead of pinning them causes them to Waghhh! together and get super pissed off. When the bikes get close enough, another rocket takes a small group of them out, however the nob and one other manage to survive. These two race pass the building throwing grenades into the third story window where the Tactical is perched. He witnesses the effects of a critical throw effect (one grenade bounces off a window frame and back into the lap of the Nob), but one grenade goes right for his head. Tactical burns a fate point to run forward and snatch the grenade out of the air, scream "You dropped this, Greenskin!", and hurl it into the middle of the two bikes, destroying both in the process.

He raises his arms in victory, then remembers he is now exposed to Ork heavy weapons, proceeds to then fail to dodge out of the way of said heavy weapons and takes all but 1 of his total wounds in damage in his chest, knocking him backward. The Devestator returns fire with his heavy bolter, cutting many of those who came out of cover to shoot and forcing them back into a pinned posture. Unfortunately, the other truck's boys are close combat equipped, and make a bee-line for the building they are in.

But wait, where is the Assault? What about the Librarian and Apothecary? Well, the Assault manages to fly up and land behind the Leman Russ, planting krak grenades in what he assumes to be the more vital weak points of the tank and jets away before it goes up in a blaze of glory. The other two manage to make it to the front of the building and start shooting lightning and bolter fire into the oncoming wave. The Assault charges the Slugga boy horde from out of the sky, while the Librarian and Apothecary charge the horde from the ground while in squad mode. The horde gets ripped to shreds in seconds, and they rebound from that horde into the horde that had been forced behind cover, with the Assault joining the pair on the ground. Combat was mopped up pretty quickly after that, and after wounds and armor are tended to, they claimed the Predator for themselves. That's where our second game left off.

So far, the team has no idea that they are being tracked by the rogue Inquisitor, or even why he is here in the first place. They also don't know how Tyrnaids got here, or why they'd attack a place known for having body shops instead of hospitals, but thankfully they haven't asked that question yet. Gives me some time to think up some story, but all in all, they had fun, and it is always fun watching newbie tabletop folks have their first game :3:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just a heads up but I'm doing an Ork CYOA using the RT rules. So far I have the Into the Storm and Creature's Anathema for sourcebooks, as well as 'Ere We Go! and the Gorkamorka 'Uvver Book for additional reference material.

Barring a major change it looks like we'll be seeing the adventures of Aristorkrates, the Death Skull Mekboy.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

So far, the team has no idea that they are being tracked by the rogue Inquisitor, or even why he is here in the first place. They also don't know how Tyrnaids got here, or why they'd attack a place known for having body shops instead of hospitals, but thankfully they haven't asked that question yet. Gives me some time to think up some story, but all in all, they had fun, and it is always fun watching newbie tabletop folks have their first game :3:.
Awesome story. Rogue Inquisitor brought Tyranids to the planet. Why? :iiam:

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

Awesome story. Rogue Inquisitor brought Tyranids to the planet. Why? :iiam:

'Cause he's a bad guy. :ms:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Because they don't think the Tyranids are being viewed with enough terror. Because they think the Tyranids might be a good weapon to use against the Orks/Chaos/Everything. Because they think that this planet needs to be destablized and destroyed so that the sector may live. Because they think that Orks will kill us all unless we throw everything at them now. Because they've gone evil and this is step 174 towards summoning a demon into them and becoming a demon prince.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
The most interesting villains are always the ones committing atrocities for the greater good. When their logic is sound and the party is presented with a moral choice.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

'Cause he's a bad guy. :ms:

loving Amalatheans. None of you have the slightest drat clue about how the Imperium functions. How many of your coterie come from a Pleasure World? Not a goddamn one of them? WOW, that's a shocker. How many denizens of peace are of any use in this galaxy? Same number? HOW DESPERATELY UNSURPRISING.
One world burns so that a dozen might be saved. Math ain't that drat hard, people.

This message brought to you by the Istvaanians: Strength Through Other People's Suffering.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Benagain posted:

Because they don't think the Tyranids are being viewed with enough terror. Because they think the Tyranids might be a good weapon to use against the Orks/Chaos/Everything. Because they think that this planet needs to be destablized and destroyed so that the sector may live. Because they think that Orks will kill us all unless we throw everything at them now. Because they've gone evil and this is step 174 towards summoning a demon into them and becoming a demon prince.

:ssh: The rogue inquisitor and the third party aren't one and the same.

EDIT: Misquote.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Ze Pollack posted:

This message brought to you by the Istvaanians: Strength Through Other People's Suffering.

Now I kinda want to see what would pop up if the various Inquisitorial factions started campaigning like politicians nowadays.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
The Xanthites: Change You Can't Believe In Or Even Know Is Possible.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Our little group is going to meet again on Sunday, and if all goes according to plan, I'll have another interesting tale of the Deathwatch kill-team "Bonum Decuriae". It's a rough translation of "The Good Guys" in Latin, apparently.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

Our little group is going to meet again on Sunday, and if all goes according to plan, I'll have another interesting tale of the Deathwatch kill-team "Bonum Decuriae". It's a rough translation of "The Good Guys" in Latin, apparently.
That depends, are there 10 of you?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Honestly "Boni" would do just fine. IIRC (haven't had Latin in a few years) if you stick a gendered ending on an adjective without a noun to go with it, it's assumed you're referring to a person or persons.

Otherwise if you really want a word for "guys" then "Boni Viri" is what you want, I think. Unless you actually want a word for "soldiers", in which case my dictionary is presently in another state.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

I think the best balance between accurate translation, and the high-falutin' style of Imperium nomenclature is "Viri Beneficentiarum" or "Viri Benevolentiarum" (men of beneficence/benevolence)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

St0rmD posted:

I think the best balance between accurate translation, and the high-falutin' style of Imperium nomenclature is "Viri Beneficentiarum" or "Viri Benevolentiarum" (men of beneficence/benevolence)

"Viri Benevolentiarum" sounds better since it sounds like it's about violence.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"Viri Benevolentiarum" sounds better since it sounds like it's about violence.

This. Going to go ahead and append their sheets with it while they are away. It does have a more Imperium style to it, hence the original name's sorta-but-not-really grammar. Also, I went to my local gamestore yesterday to find the ork Rogue Trader book. Turns out, it's kind of a hot item :(.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Has anyone played a Dark Heresy hack of Maid RPG? I've read of people running one-shots of it, but can't find any information on how it actually plays.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Allow me to recollect the highlights of our group, the Emperor's Angels of Failure.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE:

*Brother-Sergeant Ignatus Magnum of the Ultramarines (Tactical/Tyrannic War Veteran, my character)
    *Brother Mathias of the Imperial Fists (Devastator)
    *Brother Gottfried of the Black Templars (Assault)
    *Brother Sanguis Aerugo of the Blood Angels (Techmarine)
    *Sanguinary Priest Anvilus of the Blood Angels (Apothecary)
    *Brother-Librarian Calibos of the Dark Angels (Librarian, obviously)

ADVENTURE THE FIRST - Fun Times With Tyranid Scout Organisms:

In Which The Angels Descend From The Heavens to Retrieve A Wayward Techpriest With Sensitive Intel On Chaos Activity Before Tyranids Eat The Planet And Look Like Total Morons In The Process.

-One Marine consistently throwing grenades backwards
-A Tyranid gaunt surviving a direct hit from a missile while others around him are destroyed due to bizarre dice flukes
-Our Techmarine punching things so hard they EXPLODE. :black101:
-My character finishing off a 'Nid warrior by punching its head off and claiming it as a trophy.
-Our Devastator's rockets hitting everything but the ground.
-My character's bolter jamming on the first turn of combat in the first battle of our first session of the game.
-Our group failing hysterically to dispose of a quaint group of 24 'gaunts and 2 'Nid warriors while an Imperial Commissar conversely wracks up kills like he's a Primarch.
-Our Devastator knocking a Trygon silly with a concussion rocket
-Our Assault Marine dumping a grenade down said Trygon's throat...For 1 damage. :pseudo:
-A random Guardsman finishing off said Trygon by just un-loving-loading on it with a heavy bolter. (Error here on GM's part RE: full-auto fire, but too insane to deny.)

ADVENTURE THE SECOND - Bumper Cars/Tanks:

In Which The Angels Slowly Learn To Harness The Emperor's Chariots And Hunt For A Heretical Ordos Xenos Inquisitor.

-Our Blood Angels' Baal Predator attempts to manuever out of the enemy's line of fire and runs into a wall.
-The uber-Commissar joined us for an encore and demanded that his tank's pilot drive him close, that he might hit them with his sword.
-A tank in our midst (mechanized assault mission!) turned traitor at an inopportune time, but we thwarted by dogpiling it with our own tanks for maximum tank shock.
-After dismounting, we interrupt a Chaos ritual in a building with excellent efficiency, partly thanks to our arrived-mid-game Librarian, who does a good job of playing up his secretive schtick. Our Black Templar hears vox chatter from the body of a dead cultist, listens in, hears that our target is sending reinforcements to check out the clatter, and our Black Templar dares the heretic scum to come to him. He then crushes the voxcaster. What a guy! :clint:
-Our Librarian prettymuch instantly frying a Night Lords Chaos Marine in one turn. Our Librarian gets poo poo done! :black101:

ADVENTURE THE THIRD - If You Run Out Of Targets, Shoot Yer Buddy:

In Which The Angels Get New Toys, Shoot Lots Of People Dead, And Must Help 8-Foot-Tall Angry Men Work Through Their Differences:

-My character repeatedly discovering the joy of a Storm Bolter + Metal Storm rounds and removing huge chunks of enemy heretic hordes.
-A pair of Dreadnoughts having their drat assault cannons jam. Fortunately they had storm bolters in their other arms! :eng101:
-Getting attacked by some apparent Alpha Legion moles disguised as Ultramarines.
-Coming upon some Dark Angels firing on unarmed civilians for apparent Chaos cooperation. We got them to come along with us instead. We concluded that the covert Alpha Legion presence is inciting the citizens to paranoia, causing them to fire upon the loyalist forces which would then cause the loyalists to fire back, sowing fear, uncertainty and doubt.
-Regrouping with the Company Captains of the three Space Marine battle groups also assigned to the operation, and attempting to discern where amongst the Space Marines the traitors are hiding...Only for about half of the Captains' Honour Guard to turn against us as a Alpha Legion warband leader IN FREAKING TERMINATOR ARMOR and his Chaos Sorceror buddy teleport down to face us.
-Once again our Librarian gets poo poo done and fries the Sorceror with disturbing ease.
-Relentless firepower finally downs the warband leader, only for him to turn into A GODDAMN DAEMON PRINCE.
-Through more dakka and our Librarian's mad skills (and also the Captains drawing most of the fire that would otherwise hit us) we down the Daemon Prince. As we regain our bearings and lick our wounds, our Librarian goes over to examine the remains of the Sorceror's armor...And finds it bears the chapter markings of the Dark Angels. poo poo. JUST. GOT. REAL. :black101:

-----

Thus concludes the Chronicles of Fail for now. More mayhem to report in about a week from now!

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 27, 2012

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

InfiniteJesters posted:

Allow me to recollect the highlights of our group, the Emperor's Angels of Failure.

I like how I came to post my groups stuff yesterday, and apparently it bears disturbing similarity :stare:.

Also, is it alright if I continue to post my groups' stories here? This is the closest place to a Deathwatch thread, and I wanted to share the shenanigans as everyone learns the rules and such.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I don't mind them being posted here but there is this thread that might be more germane. Use your own judgement, I guess.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

insanityv2 posted:

I don't mind them being posted here but there is this thread that might be more germane. Use your own judgement, I guess.

I'll keep that in mind, gonna message a mod and see what they think, just in case. Nevermind, the other thread wants to see em there, guess that's where I'll put them from now on.

As for game terms, am I correct to assume that in Deathwatch, any damage dice that rolls a "10" means it gets another free attack due to Righteous Fury? Or is that normally only granted by things like fate points, et al?

Mr Fahrenheit fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 27, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

I like how I came to post my groups stuff yesterday, and apparently it bears disturbing similarity :stare:.

Also, is it alright if I continue to post my groups' stories here? This is the closest place to a Deathwatch thread, and I wanted to share the shenanigans as everyone learns the rules and such.

Maybe we used the same adventure modules? :v:

Alternatively one of the peeps in my group is a Goon and I never realized.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

As for game terms, am I correct to assume that in Deathwatch, any damage dice that rolls a "10" means it gets another free attack due to Righteous Fury? Or is that normally only granted by things like fate points, et al?

In Deathwatch all Righteous Fury rolls are auto-confirmed and you roll more damage.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

robziel posted:

In Deathwatch all Righteous Fury rolls are auto-confirmed and you roll more damage.

...against xenos. Anyone else, you have to confirm your Righteous Furies.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

But it means that any damage dice that rolls max damage has a chance to cause a catastrophic amount of damage? Cause my last game had our Librarian seriously deal over 70 damage to a horde he was locked in combat with, split between two turns of combat. That's not even counting a Devastator who didn't know the rule and said he had a handful of 10's on the damage rolls :stare:.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

But it means that any damage dice that rolls max damage has a chance to cause a catastrophic amount of damage? Cause my last game had our Librarian seriously deal over 70 damage to a horde he was locked in combat with, split between two turns of combat. That's not even counting a Devastator who didn't know the rule and said he had a handful of 10's on the damage rolls :stare:.

I don't see anything unreasonable about that. Librarians are supposed to be monstrously badass.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

InfiniteJesters posted:

Alternatively one of the peeps in my group is a Goon and I never realized.

This is true, but not in the way you think. Glad to see my glorious charge of gently caress all has been recorded for goons to see.:haw:

Also, hi.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

This is true, but not in the way you think. Glad to see my glorious charge of gently caress all has been recorded for goons to see.:haw:

Also, hi.

:whatup:

Getting a chance to fight some PROPER hordes this time was fun. Everything prior was like eating from the world's smallest popcorn bucket.

TWENTY-FIVE HERETICS IN ONE TURN OF BURSTFIRE, MOTHAFUCKAS.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 28, 2012

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Ze Pollack posted:

That is correct, sorry, it's been awhile since I cracked the DW books since my group self destructed :(

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

you can't righteous fury against hordes

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Deathwatch is such a blast to GM for. I had my group doing an assault on a heretic battleship (which they were going to crash into the rogue governor's palace to start the main assault). They get up to the bridge where I had a pretty large encounter planned, when the Librarian rolls perils of the warp and gets the one where all glass around him is destroyed. Glass like the viewports on the bridge. So *woosh* there goes the ship's captain and all of the traitor guardsmen who were set up to kill the team.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have an idea for a RT campaign centered around the establishment of a Space Marine Chapter in the Koronus Expanse. The Explorers would have to find a planet that is suitable for a SM Homeworld, clear out any nasty surprises on the planet, then transport the materials and labor for constructing the Chapter Fortress, and bring in armaments and supplies from Forge Worlds in the Calaxis Sector.

Here are some questions I have:
  • I don't know a lot about the fluff mechanics of how a new Space Marine Chapter is established. Obviously, creating a new chapter takes a long time (I'm guessing 2 centuries, give or take a decade, barring complications). Normally Chapters are established in groups, but there is some indication in the Deathwatch books that it doesn't always go that way. My idea is that due to the isolation of the Koronus Expanse, the Adaptus Terra is using non-standard procedures.
  • The purpose of the Chapter is to guard the Jericho Warp Gate from threats out of the Koronus Expanse. This, of course, is not the official reason for its establishment. Thanks to the secrecy, a number of long-standing RTs are nervous about the establishment of a Chapter in the Expanse, and are worried that it's a signal that their fun time might be coming to an end.
  • I first thought that only one Marine would need to be involved with determining if a planet is suitable. Then I realized that the input of an Apothecary, Chaplin, and Librarian would be necessary to make sure the genetic material was compatable and there was no danger of corruption. Attaching 3 Marines to a RT party seems like it would be unbalancing, although the book does describe Rouge Traders traveling with Space Marine squads.

Thanks for any input.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SirPhoebos posted:

I have an idea for a RT campaign centered around the establishment of a Space Marine Chapter in the Koronus Expanse. The Explorers would have to find a planet that is suitable for a SM Homeworld, clear out any nasty surprises on the planet, then transport the materials and labor for constructing the Chapter Fortress, and bring in armaments and supplies from Forge Worlds in the Calaxis Sector.

Here are some questions I have:
  • I don't know a lot about the fluff mechanics of how a new Space Marine Chapter is established. Obviously, creating a new chapter takes a long time (I'm guessing 2 centuries, give or take a decade, barring complications). Normally Chapters are established in groups, but there is some indication in the Deathwatch books that it doesn't always go that way. My idea is that due to the isolation of the Koronus Expanse, the Adaptus Terra is using non-standard procedures.
  • The purpose of the Chapter is to guard the Jericho Warp Gate from threats out of the Koronus Expanse. This, of course, is not the official reason for its establishment. Thanks to the secrecy, a number of long-standing RTs are nervous about the establishment of a Chapter in the Expanse, and are worried that it's a signal that their fun time might be coming to an end.
  • I first thought that only one Marine would need to be involved with determining if a planet is suitable. Then I realized that the input of an Apothecary, Chaplin, and Librarian would be necessary to make sure the genetic material was compatable and there was no danger of corruption. Attaching 3 Marines to a RT party seems like it would be unbalancing, although the book does describe Rouge Traders traveling with Space Marine squads.

Thanks for any input.

Wouldn't having nasty surprises on the planet be a good thing (unless that surprise is a Necron Crypt or something)? Since Space Marine Chapters generally recruit the most badass residents of the harshest worlds. I'd think that you'd want to look for a Death World that people still, somehow, manage to live on. Extra points if the natives have a strong warrior/military culture on it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Wouldn't having nasty surprises on the planet be a good thing (unless that surprise is a Necron Crypt or something)? Since Space Marine Chapters generally recruit the most badass residents of the harshest worlds. I'd think that you'd want to look for a Death World that people still, somehow, manage to live on. Extra points if the natives have a strong warrior/military culture on it.

I was referring the the Necron Crypt variety of nasty surprises. Your point is a good one.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Don't have the marines attached to the Rogue Trader, have three of them show up unannounced and flatly state that thanks to a debt incurred milennia ago by the RT's great great great great to the nth grandmother when their parent chapter saved her rear end, guess who gets to tag along for the forseeable future?

Limit their interaction. They are immediately going to gently caress off to the most isolated part of the ship and stay there, not deigning to interact with the likes of you unless it's neccessary. They won't plot the ship's course, trusting to the rogue trader, but they will demand to set foot on and explore any world they deem interesting. They will disappear for days doing this, and it's been made clear that their deaths would incur a horrendous blood debt of actual enforced conscription, so have your players freak out and try to follow. They will absolutely not be of any help with a mission and most heretical poo poo will have to be hidden.

If they engage in combat it should be with massively outsized threats and very occasionally they should pull a deus ex machina.

Unless you're planning on having someone play the Space Marine, in which case just have one guy do it and have him be a scout designed to find worthy planets that merit a closer, actual inspection by the higher ups.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Benagain posted:

Don't have the marines attached to the Rogue Trader, have three of them show up unannounced and flatly state that thanks to a debt incurred milennia ago by the RT's great great great great to the nth grandmother when their parent chapter saved her rear end, guess who gets to tag along for the forseeable future?

Limit their interaction. They are immediately going to gently caress off to the most isolated part of the ship and stay there, not deigning to interact with the likes of you unless it's neccessary. They won't plot the ship's course, trusting to the rogue trader, but they will demand to set foot on and explore any world they deem interesting. They will disappear for days doing this, and it's been made clear that their deaths would incur a horrendous blood debt of actual enforced conscription, so have your players freak out and try to follow. They will absolutely not be of any help with a mission and most heretical poo poo will have to be hidden.

If they engage in combat it should be with massively outsized threats and very occasionally they should pull a deus ex machina.

Unless you're planning on having someone play the Space Marine, in which case just have one guy do it and have him be a scout designed to find worthy planets that merit a closer, actual inspection by the higher ups.

I could go either way with the player controlled Space Marine-this is still all brainstorming.

Great advice, btw. I could see some opportunites to mess with the players, like finding a planet that has the potential of being hugely profitable, but the Space Marines indicate that it's on their short list for their homeworld.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Or grab Deathwatch and have the Marines be an alternate team of PCs for the players to use, if you think this can be done without them overshadowing their RT characters.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hodgepodge posted:

Or grab Deathwatch and have the Marines be an alternate team of PCs for the players to use, if you think this can be done without them overshadowing their RT characters.

I actually started a campaign that had something like this going on.

Rogue Trader main characters, and sprinkled among the crew was a Dark Heresy Inquisition party. The Rogue Trader party would be the majority of game time, but every so often they would play the agents investigating the dodgy poo poo they had been up to on Cygnis V.

I would probably avoid giving one person a space marine character in a rogue trader game though.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
They put a Rogue Trader version in the Deathwatch book, no idea how it actually plays though. You could always take a page from Black Crusade and be all,

"Holy poo poo, a Carnifex! Space Marine, go nuts. Everyone else, start fixing the ship/rallying the troops/running like hell."

Edit: "Holy poo poo, a social situation! Space Marine, stand in a corner and glower menacingly at the idea of 'fun'. Everyone else, go nuts."

Benagain fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Benagain posted:

They put a Rogue Trader version in the Deathwatch book, no idea how it actually plays though. You could always take a page from Black Crusade and be all,

"Holy poo poo, a Carnifex! Space Marine, go nuts. Everyone else, start fixing the ship/rallying the troops/running like hell."

Edit: "Holy poo poo, a social situation! Space Marine, stand in a corner and glower menacingly at the idea of 'fun'. Everyone else, go nuts."

I've always been a fan of having multiple styles of enemies in combats like this. The SM goes off fighting the Carnifex, while the party has to take on another Horde of 'nids so they don't chew the Marine's backside off while he's distracted.