Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hello thread! I'm looking to build a new PC once parts come back into stock, but before then I'd like to consider OCing my current computer, both for a performance boost and because it seems like fun. It'd also be good practice to work on this one before OCing my new PC. I built this thing around 2014 so it's getting a little long in the tooth. My monitor is 1080@75Hz so that's what I'm shooting for. Many of the games I play will sometimes dip into the 40-70FPS range, so I'm hoping to squeeze a little more performance out of this thing. I've never overclocked anything before so I'd appreciate a bit of help with this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Memory: Corsair 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Storage: SanDisk Extreme 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3 GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic X 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Monitor: Asus VA229HR 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor

Please note that I have two different sticks of RAM in there. Which of those should go into the first/second DIMM slot? (Does it even matter?)

Where would be the best place to start with this? How much more could I realistically get out of this system? (Even if it's not much I'd still like to try.)

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Well that's a bit of a bummer, but not completely unexpected. I didn't have OCing in mind when I built this thing so I mostly went with mid-range parts. Does that mean my CPU is completely non-overclockable? And the RAM too (even tho they have the same CAS/timing)? What sort of increases to the baseclock could I realistically make? 3-5MHz?

Seems like the GPU would be the best place to start then.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Thanks, I followed your guide and it improved my score significantly. Core Clock +80 was still giving me some weirdness, but +60 seems pretty stable . s it worth it to try fine-tuning to something more precise, like +70 or +75? I also have the option of prioritizing power or temperature for dynamic clock adjustment, does that matter at all?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
For the voltage control,. I have the option for "standard MSI" which goes to +37mV, and "extended MSI" which goes way up to +1300. Could I try going beyond +37mV?

spunkshui posted:

Sliders go all the way up for power and temp if thats what you are asking.
No, I have an option on mine (that I don't see on yours) that says "Priority" with an arrow pointing to either Power or Temperature, and clicking it shifts the arrow between the two. The help tip mentions "prioritizing power or temperature for dynamic clock adjustment".

quote:

40°C something low like 30% or 25% fan (I cant go below 27% on mine)

Then another dot at 100% fan at 70C.

Just a big dumb diagonal line seems to do a great job at making sure fans actually respond to temperature.

From there you can adjust that top and bottom dots so your card is tolerable while gaming and quiet while posting.
Could I set it to like 10% at <40? It'll rarely get that low, but do I need anything more than 10% if it gets that low? It'd be a little quieter, less energy, less wear and tear, etc.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So I was able to max out around +60MHz Core Clock in Afterburner before I noticed weird visual bugs on my runs through Time Spy, so I'm tweaking around there. What are some other good benchmarks to use? And out of curiosity, why should I tweak the Core Clock before tweaking the Memory Clock? What does either of those actually do?

As for my RAM, if I was able to get ahold of matching RAM, would that improve performance at all and/or allow me to overclock? I'm considering replacing my mismatched 2x8GB 1600 with matching 2x16GB 1600, which seems to be the max my motherboard could handle. Although finding affordable 2x16GB 1600 DDR3 seems to be more difficult than I would have imagined.